Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Smythe posted:

i produce live entertainment and live entertainment accessories, op.

but hopefully not for much longer.
you finally getting a new job??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Xaris posted:

you finally getting a new job??

very slowly trying to ... hard with shcool

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Smythe posted:

very slowly trying to ... hard with shcool
how's that going? anymore zoomer anarchist-witchtok gfs?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Xaris posted:

how's that going? anymore zoomer anarchist-witchtok gfs?

school is cool. my masters cohort is not so good right now but maybe they will be later. the coursework is fun and rewarding. i enjoy being on campus a lot. i love school. oh well. my girlfrend (of normal age) has departed overseas for 14 months for her grad school and i have inherited her cat. its orange and very nice.

one thing that is strange is that this is a political scinence program so youd think ppl would like to "go off" in seminar about things, this is i imagine the "going off" discipline. but they dont. so your friend smythe has to carry. you ever sit in a conference room seminar with 10 people and theyre all silent? i have. but then again im theory and theyre mostly not. comparative or american or w/e, some stupid poo poo.

anyways we're derailing the thread, which is a good thread. hope all is well with u xaris. sending love

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Punished Turtle posted:

it’s called from each according to ability bitch

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

that's normal smythe. glad you are enjoying it and going off. many years later I still remember an incident where I "went off" in a critical discussion about statistical theory and got swarmed by a bunch of fellow grad students in the cafeteria afterwards, a quiet german one of whom told me they did not realize you could do that and excitedly wanted to know where I learned to. it's weirdly crushing.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen

Smythe posted:

i produce live entertainment and live entertainment accessories, op.

but hopefully not for much longer.

wanna split a shovel

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen

Zodium posted:

a quiet german one of whom told me they did not realize you could do that and excitedly wanted to know where I learned to. it's weirdly crushing.

i know of a german who wasnt afraid to go off

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

I wanna build some birdhouses and get them up this fall so they are ready for the spring, ya'll wanna build bird houses? We tried to get money from the rich ppl for some bird stuff but they said no you are not a non profit entity registered with the state you are just dorks that spend your salary dollars on weird stuff and also what's with all the fuckin broken shovels?? some real Arlo Guthrie kinda poo poo

wood duck nest boxes: https://www.audubon.org/news/how-build-wood-duck-nest-box

nestwatch has a lotta bird house stuff https://nestwatch.org/learn/all-about-birdhouses/

we could build houses for Prothonotary Warblers which is a cool name and also a cool rear end looking bird, if you're in the south their population is declining https://nestwatch.org/learn/all-about-birdhouses/birds/prothonotary-warbler/ just look at that bird! Note that I do not discriminate against birds even the ugly and stupid ones, this is just a rad looking bird. This year we noticed a small population of Golden-crowned kinglets, also some very cool dudes with kickass mohawks. Real tiny.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Punished Turtle posted:

it’s called from each according to ability bitch

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Testing, 1, 2, Testing

This concludes the test o four idiot broadcasting system

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

I'm about to use my abilities to spank some fools in the Ring today.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I build poo poo for a living, not a hobby.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Thanks, Captain Obvious

What kinda poo poo do you build? As a whole this isn't a hobby for us it contributes significantly towards our livelihood and pays bills, we would need different second jobs otherwise

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

God bless, I meant no offense.

I'm in construction.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

Cpt_Obvious posted:

God bless, I meant no offense.

I'm in construction.

What do you do? I worked concrete for a few years and my knees got permanently hosed.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Carpentry and electrical, whichever will get me a better commute/pay att.

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
im more of a to each according to their bank balance kinda guy

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

First step for anything of this scope should be to run a funding round and get some stakeholders

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Carpentry and electrical, whichever will get me a better commute/pay att.

Building shelter for the people, a noble pursuit! Some day there will be a monument in your honor (you will have to build it yourself)

Woke Mind Virus posted:

First step for anything of this scope should be to run a funding round and get some stakeholders

Ahhh, so THAT'S where I hosed up, right at the start as always

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Smythe posted:

school is cool. my masters cohort is not so good right now but maybe they will be later. the coursework is fun and rewarding. i enjoy being on campus a lot. i love school. oh well. my girlfrend (of normal age) has departed overseas for 14 months for her grad school and i have inherited her cat. its orange and very nice.

one thing that is strange is that this is a political scinence program so youd think ppl would like to "go off" in seminar about things, this is i imagine the "going off" discipline. but they dont. so your friend smythe has to carry. you ever sit in a conference room seminar with 10 people and theyre all silent? i have. but then again im theory and theyre mostly not. comparative or american or w/e, some stupid poo poo.

anyways we're derailing the thread, which is a good thread. hope all is well with u xaris. sending love

Oh poo poo, we should try to catch up some time. I'm on campus in my troll basement of ECST on Monday/Wednesday. You on campus then?

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Everybody poops except Kim Jong Un, it's the great equalizer but some people poop with a nice ambience

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

That is a fine pooper, sir.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Cpt_Obvious posted:

That is a fine pooper, sir.

Thanks Captain Obvious (that just feels fun and good to say)

Why is the floor wet you may wonder? a) I pissed all over it b) it didn't have a roof for a year c) it can be two things

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Life in the fast lane, you love to live it. Everything is booze, blow and benders as far as the eye can see. Psychedelic journeys to outer mongolia and inner europa. Finding peace with the universe and letting go of the hatred towards your fellow man both past and present. You're on top of the world and nothing can stop you now! The hours bleed into days and the days into months, time has lost all meaning.

One day you wake up and your mouth is dry and the drugs and booze are all gone and there's no money and you aren't sure what hour, day or even week it is. So you check and you're staring down the barrel of October. Your woodshed is as empty as your wallet and you'd better get to work or this is the year your dumb rear end freezes to death. You can go weeks without food, days without water, but you can die in hours from the cold.

This is your comeuppance for selling locally grown organic free range artisanal hand made heating fuel to a bunch of boomers.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Firewood should be done in the spring, if you're splitting and stacking wood past June then you need to move south and get a condo

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

500excf type r posted:

Firewood should be done in the spring, if you're splitting and stacking wood past June then you need to move south and get a condo

Firewood should be done a year or two ahead of time if you are not kiln drying it, spring is not early enough to actually have truly dry firewood here. I was mostly just being silly except the part where I need to fill our woodshed, now that everybody else's are full. We do firewood year round, every year. Never stop firewooding, even for a minute.

Also, have a poem

quote:

The Firewood Poem

Beechwood fires are bright and clear
If the logs are kept a year,
Chestnut's only good they say,
If for logs 'tis laid away.
Make a fire of Elder tree,
Death within your house will be;
But ash new or ash old,
Is fit for a queen with crown of gold

Birch and fir logs burn too fast
Blaze up bright and do not last,
it is by the Irish said
Hawthorn bakes the sweetest bread.
Elm wood burns like churchyard mould,
E'en the very flames are cold
But ash green or ash brown
Is fit for a queen with golden crown

Poplar gives a bitter smoke,
Fills your eyes and makes you choke,
Apple wood will scent your room
Pear wood smells like flowers in bloom
Oaken logs, if dry and old
keep away the winter's cold
But ash wet or ash dry
a king shall warm his slippers by.

quote:

The firewood poem was written by Celia Congreve, is believed to be first published in THE TIMES newspaper on March 2nd 1930.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Sawed some lumber for a chill old dude, only pic is slab pile. He had a couple old man beers in a lunch pail for when we finished (he helped) :hellyeah:

Also started helping another farm put together a PV based microgrid for their operation, as grid related outages are loving up their freezer storage and they don't know anything about it but had 7 kay dubyas of panels and racking laying in the bushes for a few years :confused:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

apatite posted:

Sawed some lumber for a chill old dude, only pic is slab pile. He had a couple old man beers in a lunch pail for when we finished (he helped) :hellyeah:

Also started helping another farm put together a PV based microgrid for their operation, as grid related outages are loving up their freezer storage and they don't know anything about it but had 7 kay dubyas of panels and racking laying in the bushes for a few years :confused:

drat ur kicking rear end !!

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

thx Smythe, hope you have been "going off" at those seminars still!

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Thread is good

OP is good

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Car Hater posted:

Thread is good

OP is good

Truly, you are too kind. We are all in this doom spiral together

This is I guess a "sour gherkin" ? It's tiny, tastes delicious. Like a cucumber but I guess not at all a cucumber (Scarlet Runner beans for scale)

More firewood.

Very proud, after being observed 10,000 times starting a cook fire I did not have to lift a finger for this one except to procure the fuel

Fire [ . . . DRAMATIC PAUSE . . . ] Fire on the mountain

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Ya'll can post in here too if ya want... between the existing infrastructure of government agents monitoring CSPAM and the ones that followed when I started posting this is an official Safe Space! In the meantime I figured out how to a) take pictures and b) get pictures on the internet again, will :orb:

I did not make anything tonight. The rainy season starts soon and we have been -flat out-, trying to get ready. Ate some mushrooms, drank some beers and moved a shed before the world becomes a mud hole.

If you are not familiar with these you should get familiar, GRK^TM RSS^R^C Screws are endorsed by 1 out of 1 idiots on the internet. We use them for everything from being stupid to getting dumb.

Oh and we got called DINKs so I came up with a new term, it's QINKS (PRONOUNCED KINKS) - quadruple income, no kids. My stimulus check from 2020 is about to run out so it's time to get a third job but the acronym can stay the same

Happy Hunting

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
What did you use to saw that lumber?

apatite posted:

Ya'll really want to just rely on Johnny Chud and his $2M John Deere Combine + the latest and greatest chemicals to feed our entire population while we all sit around with VR goggles? Fuckin LOL

I don't have a John Deere.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Weka posted:

What did you use to saw that lumber?

a bandsaw mill

Weka posted:

I don't have a John Deere.

:batuka:

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

LuxuryLarva
Sep 8, 2023

Hot dude with a cool attitude.
Cool lumber homie. I live in a city and work in rich people neighborhoods so the only time I get lumber is when I salvage it from pieces of furniture that rich people leave by the side of the road. About once a month I will find a dresser or something and I'll scratch it to see if the wood is real or some kind of cheap Ikea particle board and I bring it home and disassemble it into boards. My friend had a cat and a racoon die underneath their mobile home and the smell of their corpses got into the timber so I ripped up their floor and put in plenty of pine but there was a weird little nook that needed a weird little fiddly piece of wood so I put in part of an antique dresser so they have hardwood floors now.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

LuxuryLarva posted:

Cool lumber homie. I live in a city and work in rich people neighborhoods so the only time I get lumber is when I salvage it from pieces of furniture that rich people leave by the side of the road. About once a month I will find a dresser or something and I'll scratch it to see if the wood is real or some kind of cheap Ikea particle board and I bring it home and disassemble it into boards. My friend had a cat and a racoon die underneath their mobile home and the smell of their corpses got into the timber so I ripped up their floor and put in plenty of pine but there was a weird little nook that needed a weird little fiddly piece of wood so I put in part of an antique dresser so they have hardwood floors now.

Except the your friend had to deal with some corpses part this is super cool stuff. I hope you can continue to find good scores and put them to use

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Seizing the means of production, Comrade? Sounds like a tall order for one tiny human.

Consider for a moment though if you would, redirecting the means of production. Given say, a collective decade of various employment, someone could use hilarious portions of that time to gobble down information and learn skills. If they then put these skills and this knowledge to use in ways that subvert the norm, a weak link may form in the chain. Maybe it's a "trace chain" that transmits the pulling force of a draft animal to something like an apple cart, if the chain breaks from excess force on weak links, the dumb cart might overturn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv8FBjo1Y8I

Tonight we did site work on a building lot for a planned multi-generational home. Lighting inadequate, will address with copius cheap LEDs made of nuclear waste and melted babies

apatite has issued a correction as of 17:58 on Oct 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Sorry about the unfunny stuff, I'm... not funny :redass:

Thinking about those beans though

Things are starting to wind down and we will need to reflect on this absolutely wild season. Still the storage/seed potatoes, squash/pumpkins, brassicas and other things to deal with.