Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
30 rock and parks and rec are always held up as some of the greatest comedy shows of the past two decades, and they are good and everything but 30 rock is too limited in its scope and parks and rec is too utopian with its overarching narrative of "progressives and libertarians can meet in the middle, and joe biden is cool." i think a lot of the scenes look especially silly post 2016. it is still a fun show to watch but the optimism in many parts is eye rollingly bad

enter superstore. rather than critiquing two perspectives from the middle, superstore critiques the system decidedly from the left (while focusing on workers.) spoilers for people who haven't seen it, but the season 4 plot arch where "progressive" jonah ends up siding with his manager girlfriend when the store tries to unionize is arguably marxist. and yet from what i've seen, far fewer people have ever seen superstore. for example, the youtube channel has less than half the youtube followers than the one for parks and rec

so for people who have seen superstore, i'd like to know what you think. and for people who haven't seen superstore, and especially fans of parks and rec who found themselves cringing at times due to the liberalness of it, i'd highly recommend watching superstore. also it's funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

30 Rock is a lot better than Superstore, its really on another level entirely, but Superstore is still a great under-celebrated sitcom. Dina is an absolute killer on there, just hilarious. I also enjoy the slide of Jonah going from the cool main character to being portrayed as a dumb pathetic loser, that's always satisfying. Its a lot better than Parks and Rec, it doesn't have that cloying sentimentality that the second half of Parks is just covered with.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

How funny is it?

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
personally, i think it is the funniest of the three. also it's probably the darkest

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Was Better off Ted any good? I liked it in like 2010.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

but like none of those comedies are actually all that funny or good, op?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Beartaco posted:

It was really good, I watched it again recently. The episode about black people not activating the sensor doors is an all time banger.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

NoiseAnnoys posted:

but like none of those comedies are actually all that funny or good, op?

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
forgot to put this in the op, but this thread is a "no trolling zone"

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

why'd you post it GBS then, OP

The Loin King
Feb 16, 2017

Check out this goddamned cat

Beartaco posted:

Better off ted was amazing

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
The Offince

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
The best character is Bo and is the only character that is constantly quoted in my house.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Beartaco posted:

Better Off Ted is fantastic, and feels like the spiritual successor to Victor Fresco's best show ever, Andy Richter Controls The Universe.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Superstore is pretty drat good but not better than 30 Rock. I'm sorry but 30 has maybe the most comedically-dense scripts I've ever seen.

It does have a fantastic cast and they are shown to be petty/stupid in fairly realistic ways, which I appreciate. I don't know why Mark McKinny is doing that voice but I love it.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Inzombiac posted:

I don't know why Mark McKinny is doing that voice but I love it.

that's how all canadians sound.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
This place? They've got some good deals.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Remember in the 90s when some of the employees would rollerblade around the store??

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

this is what i thought of when i read the thread title. apparently its also a tv show. i was gonna say, uh, op, superstore is getting plenty of attention and gaylen weston has been getting brutally roasted lately

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
It's a good show op I like it

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I'll be honest I have never heard of it.
Apparently it came out in 2015 but I haven't really had TV since 2013 maybe.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
I really liked Superstore, but I rewatch the Office and 30 Rock annually. I've never rewatched Superstore.

American Auto is, by far, the worst of these types of shows.

naem
May 29, 2011

I was worried that superstore was one of those ABC Family type shows with an impossibly unrealistic view of hourly employees written by moneyed people with no clue

is it good then?

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Have you guys seen this how I met your mother show ?? It is legen--wait for it -- DARY!!!!! XD

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

superbore

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Barbie did a lot to warm me up to America Ferrera, but she seems typecast as the stressed MILF who can't have fun while she manages everyone else's lives. As such I didn't really like how her romance with Jonah (also kind of annoying) took up so much oxygen in the room. The supporting characters are just the best, though. As mentioned in the OP Dina is great (I like her in Not Dead Yet, too, and will take Gina Rodriguez over Ferrera any day) but I think Glenn is the funniest. Also the scene transitions of random people acting bizarrely yet believably in the store as they shop often got me to laugh out loud. Also I will never be able to hear "Creep" again without thinking of the funeral they held for the Asian guy they thought died inside the walls.

The show is unflinchingly sympathetic to minimum wage service workers caught in the gears of a system designed to crush them and extract all the value they can from them. Parks & Rec obviously has the political chops to please a coastal elite like myself but Superstore feels more honest and even loving, really.

Of all the workplace comedies out there, though, I think 30 Rock will forever remain my favorite.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Honestly I love this show, it's the only comedy show where I've rewatched the entire series.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Gina wearing the cop costume with the insane cleavage every year for halloween was hilarious and also awesome.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Nooner posted:

Have you guys seen this how I met your mother show ?? It is legen--wait for it -- DARY!!!!! XD

Bazinga!

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I'm watching it now OP.

IT BETTER BE GOOD!! :mad:

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

Caesar Saladin posted:

Gina wearing the cop costume with the insane cleavage every year for halloween was hilarious and also awesome.

Don't you dare try to turn this into a horny thread

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Always love to judge my nbc sitcoms on how tbey evoke class war

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

it’s a show about employees working together, and guys, you wouldn’t believe the wacky stuff they get up to

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I watched the last couple seasons with my brother & mother and it's aggressively fine. A broad, workplace sitcom, definitely not on the level of 30 Rock, Community, or even P&R and lol at OP's selling point being, "actually it's hecking communist when you think about it" and not whether it's funny or not.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Triikan posted:

Don't you dare try to turn this into a horny thread

i'm being objective here, her bazongas are an important running joke in the show

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
also the best character is actually sandra (timestamped for the sandra line)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5_OhWHugyw&t=276s

ELTON JOHN fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Sep 20, 2023

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143

Beartaco posted:

Very good, one of the wittiest shows I've ever watched. 30 Rock is in my top five, though; Parks would be top five as well if it wasn't so cloyingly idealistic at all times, but when it's funny it's funny. It's top ten for sure.

Someone please sell me on What We Do in the Shadows. Once Archer ends I'll need a new comedy to watch.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

what we do is good. sometimes the humor is a little repetitive and it has the occasional bad episode, but the main cast is great and can really sell it even when the writing is so-so

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Watch the movie first too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Caesar Saladin posted:

Watch the movie first too.

I'm bummed the werewolf movie plan got dropped