Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which character do you most want to play as?
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Daisy
A Toad
Toadette
A Yoshi
Nabbit
Bowsette
View Results

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
People keep saying that about NSMBWii/U but the only reason it felt like it was put together with tilesets was that it was visually very bland; in terms of concepts the levels themselves had no shortage of ideas that they weren't afraid to push--harder than Wonder's taken any of its ideas, honestly. The ideas weren't super off-the-wall things like what Wonder Flowers do--like, some were just "what if we made a moving platform with a weird new shape"--but they were using those ideas well, and took them as far as they could without getting into bonkers hard territory; they weren't just reusing the same objects over and over and calling it a day. I don't think there's a single level of NSMBWii or U that you could recreate with, say, Mario Maker/Mario Maker 2, for instance, not even their first levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Argue posted:

People keep saying that about NSMBWii/U but the only reason it felt like it was put together with tilesets was that it was visually very bland; in terms of concepts the levels themselves had no shortage of ideas that they weren't afraid to push--harder than Wonder's taken any of its ideas, honestly. The ideas weren't super off-the-wall things like what Wonder Flowers do--like, some were just "what if we made a moving platform with a weird new shape"--but they were using those ideas well, and took them as far as they could without getting into bonkers hard territory; they weren't just reusing the same objects over and over and calling it a day. I don't think there's a single level of NSMBWii or U that you could recreate with, say, Mario Maker/Mario Maker 2, for instance, not even their first levels.

If NSMBU had more levels that looked visually unique like the starry night platforming level or the painted swamp I think people wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it. There were a lot of really challenging, interesting levels in it.

Wonder will definitely have more memorable levels than U just because of how incredibly bizarre so much of it is. With one more level to go I think I liked U's Special World more, since it challenged me a little more on my platforming than gimmicks, but some of the Special World levels in Wonder were really fun.

DavidCameronsPig
Jun 23, 2023
The problem I think they had with NSMBU was that series was really designed with the limits of the DS in mind. Wasn’t it also Nintendos first attempt at a HD game? Feels a bit like it was a project just to get used to the hardware, sorta like how Mario World started life as a port of Mario 3 back in the day, that they then decided to flesh out into a full game because gently caress it, it’s cheap and NSMB sold a trillion copies on the DS.

I just finished my first run through of Wonder. Loved it, but at points I wished there was some just normal Mario levels without the wacky gimmicks just as I was getting into the flow. Somewhere between how conservative NSMBU was and Wonder going balls out wacky feels like the sweet spot.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Just finished Special World and I was a little disappointed how little Mario fundies there was between all the gimmicks. Also got the Final Test second try which was pretty anti-climactic. I know there's still the Final-Final Test but I don't think I have the juice in me to go redo the bits I missed first time round, back to trying to clear Return to Yoshi's Island on SMBX for me I think

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

I really wish the overworld had more sauce, there aren't actually that many secret exits. The routes to the Special World should've been more like worlds 1 and 4 and less like 3 and 5.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
The problem with the new series is that Mario feels bad to control. There was never a time in wonder where I felt like I wasn’t in control of exactly where Mario would go. Can’t say that about the new series.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

The biggest strike against NSMBU was Nintendo trying to use it as a selling point for the WiiU while being near identical to Wii.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Yeah Wonder just feels way better to play than the NSMB games. Mario feels way faster and more responsive and doesn't stick to walls as easily.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
NSMBU has great levels, but on top of bland aesthetics Mario doesn't control that good. Wonder's feel is just so much better

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
my only problem with wonder is the wonder theme song getting boring after however many levels, I don't want to hear this five second track a fiftieth time

also that the levels aren't really build around the badges, so especially the expert ones I feel like I can't really... use? not while still doing everything, anyway

i've been using grappling hook since i've gotten it because it's always useful

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Yeah my one complaint about Wonder is that I wish they would have had more of the 10-coin purple coins be hidden somewhere they could only be reached via a certain badge in order to get people to change it up. Once I got the mid-air spin boost I never changed again.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I just turned off badges in the end because most of them messed with the air stall, which is a really useful little trick in itself

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Mid air spin badge is absolutely cracked, the only excuse for not using it is you haven't unlocked it yet

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Personally, I preferred the floaty jump badge because I liked the modified jump speed and also the characters flail around in mid air and its funny and cute.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
My favorite was the crouch jump badge. Partly because I'm a sucker for SMB2, but mostly because having a superjump with no asterisks on it was a good countermeasure to my habit of murdering all of the things that I needed to bounce off of for secrets.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

MachuPikacchu posted:

Personally, I preferred the floaty jump badge because I liked the modified jump speed and also the characters flail around in mid air and its funny and cute.

Yeah a little extra height and some extra distance really makes the game more fun to play for me.

I agree with some of the criticism that there's enough here to add on another 2-3 dozen levels easily without feeling repetitive. I know it's unlikely but I would love some DLC worlds with a mix of difficulty.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Super Luigi Bros Wonder

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh
NSMBU is maybe the best 2D mario (or at least one of the best), but it came out with a huge number of marks against it - first major HD title for Nintendo that looked barely improved over the Wii one, failing launch of the console, growing apathy for the NSMB brand, closely following the naff NSMB2 by only a few months, and 3D mario itself adding to the general fatigue by also taking design cues from 2D mario. The brand was very, very tired when U released but taken by itself, especially including the excellent Luigi U, it's a stellar platformer.

It also gets an additional knock for the Switch port being a bit substandard, with some content removed and some new control annoyances.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Also it's just nowhere near as good to play as SMB3, SMW or Yoshi's Island. It's the best of the New series but the conservative design in every respect was *really* starting to wear thin by then

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh
Yoshi's Island is one of my all-time favourite platformers but I'm not considering it a Mario platformer in the traditional sense because it's very much it's own thing that's spun off into its own separate line of platformers.

SMB3 and SMW I didn't grow up with so don't have any particular nostalgia for them, so while I do think they're both excellent, I think U stands with them. Honestly as to what order I'd rank the three of them, you could assign at random and I'd basically agree. They're all very good.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

Mons Hubris posted:

Yeah my one complaint about Wonder is that I wish they would have had more of the 10-coin purple coins be hidden somewhere they could only be reached via a certain badge in order to get people to change it up. Once I got the mid-air spin boost I never changed again.

This would have sucked, so it’s good they didn’t do it. Imagine knowing exactly where a secret is, but oops, ran grappling hook instead of crouch jump. Have fun playing the level over, loser.

The badges were well-implemented, IMO. Enough variety to suit most players’ taste, a few challenge levels built around them, but largely ignorable if you want to focus on the core mechanics or just want more of a challenge. Making them more core to the design would have been a mistake.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

bravesword posted:

This would have sucked, so it’s good they didn’t do it. Imagine knowing exactly where a secret is, but oops, ran grappling hook instead of crouch jump. Have fun playing the level over, loser.

The badges were well-implemented, IMO. Enough variety to suit most players’ taste, a few challenge levels built around them, but largely ignorable if you want to focus on the core mechanics or just want more of a challenge.

Yeah, they did this in Yoshi's Island DS with the baby swaps and it sucked, platforming is fun but arbitary 'come back with the right skill' checks aren't

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

SL the Pyro posted:

My favorite was the crouch jump badge...mostly because having a superjump with no asterisks on it was a good countermeasure to my habit of murdering all of the things that I needed to bounce off of for secrets.

The mid air spin gives you extra height like a crouch jump (so gets you those flagpoles/secrets, too), but can be used in the heat of the moment (e.g. if you flub a jump) and doesn't slow you down with pausing to crouch.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

bravesword posted:

The badges were well-implemented, IMO. Enough variety to suit most players’ taste, a few challenge levels built around them, but largely ignorable if you want to focus on the core mechanics or just want more of a challenge. Making them more core to the design would have been a mistake.

I guess I was picturing parts of the stage that had platforming specific to the badge rather than just a coin floating on screen but a little too high to reach without a crouch jump but fair enough

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I absolutely love the little talking flower dudes and if they don't star in their own game I'm going to be very sad.

They even have a special voice line if you go in mute them in settings.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Verdugo posted:

I absolutely love the little talking flower dudes and if they don't star in their own game I'm going to be very sad.

imagine them trying to tell you poo poo really fast while you blaze by them in a Mario Kart level

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Verdugo posted:

I hate them so much

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lunatic Sledge posted:

imagine them trying to tell you poo poo really fast while you blaze by them in a Mario Kart level

What if they replace horns with the flowers.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

No Dignity posted:

I hate them so much

:yeah:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

the flowers were fine in the first 3/4 of the game but then they started repeating voiceclips regularly and eh

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

would be insanely good if the flowers were just an agent of a way worse villain and you were in fact helping them claim the wonder seeds for way worse poo poo. but this is a nintendo game and not one made by Squeenix

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

DLC Inc posted:

would be insanely good if the flowers were just an agent of a way worse villain and you were in fact helping them claim the wonder seeds for way worse poo poo. but this is a nintendo game and not one made by Squeenix

that's the plot to most kirby games guy

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

No Dignity posted:

I hate them so much

Oh god :same:

If your game doesn’t make me say wow on its own, having one of the characters say that I’m supposed to be impressed isn’t going to help. And if it does, having one of the characters say that is redundant. Either way it’s the absolute worst form of dialogue.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

No Dignity posted:

I hate them so much

I agree w Jeff Gerstmann tho when he said everyone would be satisfied if you could just kill them

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

It’d be good if sometimes the flowers telegraphed something that then didn’t happen— like when they went “I wonder what this fossilised dragon would look like if it CAME TO LIFE,” I kind of hoped the Wonder Seed would collapse Mario into a pile of bones, instead

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I have to say compared to Cappy and luma bro, Prince Florian is pretty weak

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

The special level with timed blocks you have to jump between can eat a whole bag of dicks. Incredibly unforgiving, I'm going to destroy my controllers playing it.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The last few seconds are horrific, that was one of my favourite levels lol

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I cleared it once without getting the wonder seed so that was a very special hell for me lmao. I also started to feel the Switch Pro Controller reach its limits with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I have to say compared to Cappy and luma bro, Prince Florian is pretty weak

He's a big nothing and it's annoying how many times you have to stop for him to jump off your head and say "hey! Let's go get more seeds!" or whatever. Yea bro I'm already on it.

No idea why there are so many houses where you just walk in and a guy's like "Hi! Stop Bowser! Here's a seed." Stop wasting my time!