Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which character do you most want to play as?
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Daisy
A Toad
Toadette
A Yoshi
Nabbit
Bowsette
View Results

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

No Dignity posted:

The last few seconds are horrific, that was one of my favourite levels lol

the slight delay before Mario clings to a wall was a great change for game feel since it’s way harder to accidentally stick to walls but boy did it leave to a lot of deaths from pressing A too early on that section

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Beat it on my... 120th attempt?

I liked the difficulty, but something the combo of needing to equip the right badge and needing to not only make every jump but being within seemingly milliseconds of the timing of it was painful. I kind of wish at least the time aspect of it was a little bit more forgiving towards the end, as (I at least) basically had to hail mary the course into empty blocks hoping it'd change before Mario flew through it - up and through the final section to have any chance of beating the clock.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I turned off badges for that one, air stall genuinely felt like the best option as it doesn't delay your momentum like most of the other aerial badges

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
If the wall jumps off the blocks in that challenge level are too hard for people, just play the level without using them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB_G2dubKyI

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Tender Bender posted:

He's a big nothing and it's annoying how many times you have to stop for him to jump off your head and say "hey! Let's go get more seeds!" or whatever. Yea bro I'm already on it.

No idea why there are so many houses where you just walk in and a guy's like "Hi! Stop Bowser! Here's a seed." Stop wasting my time!

Counterpoint: My wife and daughter found the threadbare story and characters delightful.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

dirby posted:

If the wall jumps off the blocks in that challenge level are too hard for people, just play the level without using them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB_G2dubKyI

This is exactly what I had in mind when they introduced the bubble flower. People were going on about how boring and silly it was, but this is exactly what I pictured.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Beat it on my... 120th attempt?

I liked the difficulty, but something the combo of needing to equip the right badge and needing to not only make every jump but being within seemingly milliseconds of the timing of it was painful. I kind of wish at least the time aspect of it was a little bit more forgiving towards the end, as (I at least) basically had to hail mary the course into empty blocks hoping it'd change before Mario flew through it - up and through the final section to have any chance of beating the clock.

IMO the real difficulty is that the timing starts out slow so you have to delay jumping for the first half and then ratchets up so there's only half a second to spare in the last third.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

True, tho I think it ratchets up closer to like 1/3 of the way through. It doesn't feel like that until you get to the end and are going too slow to make the final ascent, but if you aren't flinging yourself into empty blocks immediately after the initial slow climb it doesn't seem like you have enough time by the end.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Tender Bender posted:

He's a big nothing and it's annoying how many times you have to stop for him to jump off your head and say "hey! Let's go get more seeds!" or whatever. Yea bro I'm already on it.

No idea why there are so many houses where you just walk in and a guy's like "Hi! Stop Bowser! Here's a seed." Stop wasting my time!

There's one at the start of each world - and they can be used for teleportation points.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
Normally how things go with the 2d platformer / metroidvania for me is I'll almost get the 100%, but then I'll get stumped for just the last few collectables and be forced to use a guide. I actually like this because it shows I've really pushed myself to the limits of my ability, rather than just cutting through a game like hot knife through butter.

This time, I got all the doodads except for one seed. I've spent a lot of time with it, but I'm about to look it up. World 6 search party has one flower coin that requires some kind of lateral thinking that I can't wrap my head around no matter how long I stare at it.

I got
- hitting spike ball through wall
- killing fish with bubble
- top of vine
- drill slide across ceiling to top left

So I suppose I can't say this game is too easy, but there are so many great ideas here that seem to go so underutilized... one of the last levels I did was the one where you grab keys to open locked doors, with a mechanic similar to Yoshi's Island. It feels strange that this idea was introduced then dropped forever, but the whole game feels like that. There are a lot of simply amazing somewhat underbaked ideas here.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

A Bag of Milk posted:

Normally how things go with the 2d platformer / metroidvania for me is I'll almost get the 100%, but then I'll get stumped for just the last few collectables and be forced to use a guide. I actually like this because it shows I've really pushed myself to the limits of my ability, rather than just cutting through a game like hot knife through butter.

This time, I got all the doodads except for one seed. I've spent a lot of time with it, but I'm about to look it up. World 6 search party has one flower coin that requires some kind of lateral thinking that I can't wrap my head around no matter how long I stare at it.

I got
- hitting spike ball through wall
- killing fish with bubble
- top of vine
- drill slide across ceiling to top left

So I suppose I can't say this game is too easy, but there are so many great ideas here that seem to go so underutilized... one of the last levels I did was the one where you grab keys to open locked doors, with a mechanic similar to Yoshi's Island. It feels strange that this idea was introduced then dropped forever, but the whole game feels like that. There are a lot of simply amazing somewhat underbaked ideas here.

Is this your first Mario game?

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Is this your first Mario game?

Not sure what you mean, but 3D World works just like what I described, with a relatively short main game followed by a generous postgame that remixes the ideas from the main game. So I think Wonder could have benefitted from that kind of pacing.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

No Dignity posted:

I turned off badges for that one, air stall genuinely felt like the best option as it doesn't delay your momentum like most of the other aerial badges

I did the one that makes your sprint faster, lets you catch up on the timing during the running sections in case you messed up a bit early on.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

MorningMoon posted:

I did the one that makes your sprint faster, lets you catch up on the timing during the running sections in case you messed up a bit early on.

That does seem like a rare case where the badge is probably a net gain? An extra second or two gwined on the flat bits would really smooth out the final third I imagine

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
I gave up on Climb to the Beat because I kept wanting Super Meat Boy wall jumps and that stupid quarter second hold you have to do I just couldn't maintain on the final ascent. I gave it 100 lives and then turned on a Midair Jump cheat. Climb to my rear end, Special World.

(the rest of the specials are a ton of fun tho!)

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
I got it after 3 tries goodbye

(it took like 30 lives to do the first one for me, oddly enough)

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

I had a way worse time with the special world level where you have to free-fall down a long shaft. I died basically at least once per obstacle since the maneuverability sucks too hard to not have them all memorized in advanced.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

You can move up the screen during that free fall. Buy yourself an extra split second.

Stupacabra
Nov 11, 2021

read Merry Hell

Tokelau All Star posted:

You can move up the screen during that free fall. Buy yourself an extra split second.

Then the enemies that drop from above will get you.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Stupacabra posted:

Then the enemies that drop from above will get you.

I’d suggest switching to Nabbit or Yoshi for that stage but I believe they still have some knockback when they get hit (and things that would kill you in one hit will still kill you when playing as those characters)

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Really enjoyed this! I still have the Final Final level to beat, but despite some issues with it this might be one of my favourite sidescroller Mario games after SMW and Yoshi's Island (SMB3 would probably be up there too if it had had saving to allow my bad-at-games child brain actually get into the later levels). I keep wishing that there'd be a Mario game with a world map as sprawling and layered as SMW's; Wonder came the closest I've seen, but I agree with the comments about there not being enough secret exits.

Also shocking archive material:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

having finally got wonder and sat down with it for a good while, i like it a lot. i don't think level-design wise it's like, massively better than nsmbu (i think that game is very strong, easily the best nsmb game), but it looks and sounds so much better than any nsmb game did. it' prolly my 3rd favorite 2d mario after smw and smb3. the badges are a really nice addition, i really like the dolphin kick and the float badges.

woke kaczynski posted:

I got it after 3 tries goodbye

(it took like 30 lives to do the first one for me, oddly enough)

this is exactly the case with me, i got almost to the end of climb to the beat first try and then got it third try. meanwhile the hoppo rolling level absolutely handed my rear end to me.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Larryb posted:

I’d suggest switching to Nabbit or Yoshi for that stage but I believe they still have some knockback when they get hit
Yoshi does, but Nabbit doesn't.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

I recommend people try the various languages for the flower, some are really funny. The Japanese one sounds like Mr. Sparkle. The French guy is funny too.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Big Bizness posted:

I recommend people try the various languages for the flower, some are really funny. The Japanese one sounds like Mr. Sparkle. The French guy is funny too.

I have it set to Korean and it’s great

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I have discovered you can kind of cheese the invisibility levels in online mode by spamming emotes and feel like a god gamer for cracking the code.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I set the flower VA to Dutch, because I bought my copy while vacationing in Amsterdam and it seemed appropriate

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I just beat the game. Haven't 100%'d it yet but I'm thinking about it.

Ranking it is tough. For 2D Mario games, SMW is so tied to childhood nostalgia that even despite recent playthroughs as an adult I still couldn't possibly be objective about its actual quality. I can confidently say it's still a great game I love playing, and that it still has the magic, and that's about as unbiased as I can be with it, which is to say not very. It is and very likely will always be my favorite 2D Mario game. Yes I know the cape is kind of broken but I don't care. For me, platforming simply does not get better than playing as Cape Mario riding Yoshi. The cape powerup alone made you feel like you were playing as a superhero, and then as if that wasn't enough, the game gave you a cool dinosaur buddy who could eat enemies and had an entirely unique power set of his own depending on which color shell he ate. Something about that amount of powerup stacking just blew my little mind back then and I'm not sure if that feeling can be topped. And not even counting the powerup situation, the amount of secret content in SMW really pushed the game over the edge into being a game that just doesn't get old for me. It feels like every other level has some secret exit leading to some secret other path or entirely different level path altogether. In addition to excellent platforming along the critical path, the game has a Special World which is a secret world you can only reach from yet another other entirely secret world. And the Special World's overworld, as well as its levels themselves were so weird and bizarre that exploring them felt like you were lost wandering around through developer test levels or even the very back corners of the cartridge's raw ROM banks themselves to places you were never meant to see. It was and still is an awesome game.

Aside from SMW, my next favorite 2D Mario is Mario Maker 2's single player campaign, if that isn't a "cheat" answer. I don't have nearly as many words to write about this game, but it felt great to play, it had incredible creativity on display, a stunning number of powerups to mess with and other gameplay modifiers in general, and a lot of the time the levels made you feel like you were having a direct conversation with the game's designers themselves which I loved. Yes that was obviously the entire point, but it was awesome. And just about every level in the campaign managed to retain a theme and a sense of place despite all of them being made with a construction kit.

So now onto Super Mario Wonder. This game manages to walk a tightrope of bursting at the seams with such a ridiculous amount of gonzo creativity and variety in both its mechanics and aesthetics, while at the same time making sure everything in it maintains a cohesive whole, and somehow never loses the Nintendo top tier shine the whole way through. It's a very fun game. I also love the look and feel of it. It's a huge improvement over NSMBU there. I do agree with some people who say it doesn't feel like it has enough secrets for a Mario game though. It feels like there's some lack of mystery there because of that. However the world is vibrant and interesting, and what's there is great.

This game's powerup system is... unique. It seems like all the item-based powerups (Elephant fruit, Drill Cap, Bubble Flower) assist in offensive powers and provide some slight ground navigation variety, but none of them grant Mario any additional aerial capability like the flagship items of previous games. Instead, all the extra aerial capabilities available to Mario are reserved for the Badge system. These badges you activate can't be taken away from you with damage, which is cool, but I'm not sure how I feel about this system. On one hand, it's nice to just pick a power from a menu now, but on the other hand I feel like the fact that none of the badges have unique "powerup identities" was kind of a missed opportunity. Like instead of just having "parachute hat" Mario, they could have given Mario a helmet and skydiving goggles, along with an actual parachute or something, and committed to a full "Parachute Mario" identity or something that would persist through item-power changes. The spring badge should have given Mario boots with big springs you can see. The High Jump and temporary Hover badge could have given Mario a little jetpack that activated during those jumps and hovers (or maybe it could have just given every character who chose that badge a green hat because that's the Luigi jump). The extra gold on enemy kills badge could have turned Mario gold, etc. You get what I'm saying. Maybe that's looking a gift horse in the mouth, and maybe it would have been an unachievable QA testing nightmare, but it would have been cool.

Overall though, I had a good time with the game. It's not as good as the best Mario 2D games but it's still a very solid, novel, and flashy piece of entertainment.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Nov 14, 2023

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

GreatGreen posted:

none of them grant Mario any additional aerial capability like the flagship items of previous games.
Except the Bubble which, just like the Cape in SMW, just lets you fly above some levels once you get the rhythm down.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

I played with the flowers speaking Japanese and had a great time. I started watching a playthrough with English flowers and I think I'd definitely have been annoyed by then "well, THAT happened!" attitude, as someone in this thread mentioned.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
I set the flowers to Spanish because I'm trying to learn it and then I got to feel happy every time I understood them :3:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i've basically 100%'d the game now (need to farm coins for standees still)

still very good but the lack of secret exits is kind of surprising given the badge system. i'd expect there to be breadcrumbs in a level that imply, say, 'hey there's something here if you wear the badge that lets you do a midair jump', seems like a missed opportunity. maybe they are saving that sort of thing for super luigi wonder or something.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

I appreciate that none of the secrets or anything require badge-use because I refused to use badges for anything (unless the stage equipped it for me) for my first playthrough.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Me on getting my first duplicate standee: :smith:
Me on finding the special standee seller in the sky: :unsmith:

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

still very good but the lack of secret exits is kind of surprising given the badge system. i'd expect there to be breadcrumbs in a level that imply, say, 'hey there's something here if you wear the badge that lets you do a midair jump', seems like a missed opportunity. maybe they are saving that sort of thing for super luigi wonder or something.

This is where I'm at, kinda. This game has the same stink that latest Pokemon games did where it just feels like they came up with some really fun gameplay mechanics, but then didn't give you any space/time/reason to explore them in depth. Unfinished is too harsh a word, but it's just a shame how short pretty much all the levels are.

To unfairly compare it to a few games -- there's a surprising lack of 'marathons' in this game. The ascent to the wind temple in Tears of the Kingdom is loving incredible, because you just keep going up and up and up and up. Celeste also does this in a few sections, just extended levels that really feel like you've climbed a summit when you get to the end. The closest this game comes is the Final Test: Oops all the Wonder and that level is GREAT, but it ends so abruptly.

Likewise, the lack of real secrets or hidden exits is disappointing. The couple ones that are there are so telegraphed it doesn't feel that good finding them, and they don't unlock anything meaningful. I think of Wario Land 3 as the pinnacle of hiding fun (and useful!) stuff away in secret levels. That game has an entire additional world of 4 or so levels that's secret! Makes it fun to go back to old levels, dig into the controls, etc.

The Standee's are the most baffling thing to me. Perfect useless item that you could seed in the levels for discovery... but no, you get them by buying them in booster pack fashion. ...ok. It's both boring and makes the said useless item feel both useless and equally worthless. The treasures in Ultra Kirby All-Stars don't do poo poo, but the different graphics and difficulty in finding them sure made it satisfying getting a near complete collection.

tl;dr, fun premise and game, but ultimately pretty empty. Good enough, but very underwhelming given the praise it's been getting.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

CatstropheWaitress posted:

This is where I'm at, kinda. This game has the same stink that latest Pokemon games did where it just feels like they came up with some really fun gameplay mechanics, but then didn't give you any space/time/reason to explore them in depth.

That one hippo level where the hidden area comes with a talking flower saying, "the party's just getting started," the game could use more of that feeling. You poked the right corner and a whole other side of the level opened up.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Just Andi Now posted:

I appreciate that none of the secrets or anything require badge-use because I refused to use badges for anything (unless the stage equipped it for me) for my first playthrough.

I think there are a couple collectables that require dolphin kick, but other than that (and stages that force badges) I can't think of any.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DalaranJ posted:

I think there are a couple collectables that require dolphin kick, but other than that (and stages that force badges) I can't think of any.

If you look in the Badge screen pre-level it'll have a "Recommended" label on the Dolphin kick one for underwater levels.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

DalaranJ posted:

There are no collectables that require dolphin kick, cause I got 100% without using badges (that weren't forced).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

There's one hidden area in particular where you have to swim against a current, how'd you do it without the badge?