Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which character do you most want to play as?
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Daisy
A Toad
Toadette
A Yoshi
Nabbit
Bowsette
View Results

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
how long, do you think, until someone puts the pieces together and we get Elephant Bowsette fanart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Bowser being horny for Peach, instead of just kidnapping her for nebulous reasons related to world/galaxy conquest, has certainly been an interesting development

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Bowser being horny for Peach, instead of just kidnapping her for nebulous reasons related to world/galaxy conquest, has certainly been an interesting development

one of the low key best jokes in the mario franchise lately is the implication that he and peach would get along great if he’d just lay off the abductions

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Here's a video about multiplayer, in case I didn't explain well enough.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhUCLnJJNqw

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

what *time* does this unlock?

I can find the date everywhere and the time nowhere

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

In the Americas, Nintendo games usually unlock at 12:01 AM Eastern Standard Time.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

DalaranJ posted:

In the Americas, Nintendo games usually unlock at 12:01 AM Eastern Standard Time.

the only article I can find with a time says 9pm est, but there's no source, and I can't find anything on the Nintendo site either

https://dotesports.com/mario/news/mario-wonder-countdown-exact-start-time-and-release-date

trying to plan play time for some kids and this is hard to schedule when I can't find the time :negative:

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
they probably mean 9PM PST

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Early impressions I've been hearing are really positive.
A few comparisons to "it's like Super Mario World 2 if that wasn't Yoshi's Island."

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Hogama posted:

A few comparisons to "it's like Super Mario World 2 if that wasn't Yoshi's Island."

This, by itself, is a resounding endorsement in my eyes

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I work at a best buy and there's been a demo for the first level for a few days now, played it three times, very positive reaction from all my coworkers, too. It's much, much tighter than the New games, way less floaty. Just feels really good.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
I've played like 4 hours. Last one 2d Mario I played was some NSMB Wii when it came out. The physics feel pretty similar to NSMB, but there's a more "spring" to them. Mario shoots up faster than before, and the animations make everything feel better.

I usually disregard side scrolling Mario and for the last 15 or so years when Nintendo would make an announcement I just wouldn't care if it was 2d Mario because they always seemed lesser, and built out of recycled parts of NSMB. This definitely does not feel lesser, it has a lot of care put into it and tons of wacky creatures that are fun to jump on and offer their own challenges.

My opinion is that this is the best Mario side scroller since Yoshi's Island, which it does share stuff in common with (no time limit and exploration is somewhat important). This might even be better than Odyssey and Sunshine, which are games that should win out by default just due to being 3d.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Are there Ghost Houses in this game out of curiosity? Never really been a huge fan of those honestly (I don’t really like maze levels and filling them with enemies that can’t be killed by anything short of invincibility doesn’t help matters)

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!

Larryb posted:

Are there Ghost Houses in this game out of curiosity? Never really been a huge fan of those honestly (I don’t really like maze levels and filling them with enemies that can’t be killed by anything short of invincibility doesn’t help matters)

I don't want to spoil stuff for the more scrupulous who are waiting so i'll spoiler this

No. I haven't seen them yet and I just got to the start of World 3. I haven't seen anything that's like a maze level, just some hidden areas and alternate paths. It's definitely not a focus of this game. However, I feel like having some type of maze level is inevitable just due to the level of variety they are putting into the levels, but thats just me conjecturing

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fighting Elegy posted:

I don't want to spoil stuff for the more scrupulous who are waiting so i'll spoiler this

No. I haven't seen them yet and I just got to the start of World 3. I haven't seen anything that's like a maze level, just some hidden areas and alternate paths. It's definitely not a focus of this game. However, I feel like having some type of maze level is inevitable just due to the level of variety they are putting into the levels, but thats just me conjecturing

Oh it's not a deal breaker or anything, I just wanted to be prepared. Good to know though

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Terrible news. Cancel your preorders.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj1gWsuiCAY

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
Finally, someone at Nintendo got my e-mails

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Hogama posted:

Actual reviews are coming out now, and this is about what I'm hearing from them too.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

DalaranJ posted:

Terrible news. Cancel your preorders.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj1gWsuiCAY

I've not watched this but I assume it's about the "controversy" over the new end of level animation, where (spoilered for those who want to go in blind) Mario leaps at the flagpole dick first and sounds himself from finial to base

Flint_Paper fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Oct 19, 2023

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I'm hoping this washes the bad taste out of my mouth after paying $60 for the most mediocre 2D Sonic game in 20 years.

Had time to recover from New Super Mario burnout. New art style pops and I'm hoping this one will be different.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I'm ungodly excited for this. I haven't played a 2D Mario game since World.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Is there a specific time tomorrow it is supposed to unlock or is it just a crapshoot?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Heran Bago posted:

I'm hoping this washes the bad taste out of my mouth after paying $60 for the most mediocre 2D Sonic game in 20 years.

Had time to recover from New Super Mario burnout. New art style pops and I'm hoping this one will be different.

For sure. I really like the DS and Wii ones, but by the Wii-U one I felt it had worn thin. This does look mondo cool.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

edit: woops, wrong thread

That live-action Mario movie still rules by the way, and the extended cut is also fun.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Heavy Metal posted:

edit: woops, wrong thread

That live-action Mario movie still rules by the way, and the extended cut is also fun.

Wait, there’s an extended cut? What does that add?

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

Nick Soapdish posted:

Is there a specific time tomorrow it is supposed to unlock or is it just a crapshoot?

In the US it's supposed to be midnight Eastern Time and 9 pm Pacific. So I'll be playing around 11 pm tonight.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Larryb posted:

Wait, there’s an extended cut? What does that add?

Yes indeed, it's pretty wild. There's a workprint with some extra scenes left in etc, it's getting released remastered on an Australian blu-ray release of the movie soon. There's a fan-version that was around where they edited in the lower quality workprint footage into the rest of the movie, extending it by about 20 mins, called the Morton-Jankel cut.

Mainly in the beginning there's a lot more of Mario and Luigi messing around in New York, and their rivalry with those other plumbers. Then throughout there's stuff like extra lines, some more gags with Koopa, a rap song, stuff like that. It does have some extra extended shots etc that drag the pacing, but it's got some good stuff too.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Nick Soapdish posted:

DalaranJ posted:

This is based on me ordering Pikmin 4, Tears of the Kingdom, and Splatoon 3 digitally.
I'm uncertain of unlocks in any other time zone areas, but I seem to recall hearing that Oceania(/Japan/Australia) zones unlock first.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
This has already been pre-released on PC. Dunno why I didn't think to check till now, still not used to Nintendo doing the right thing.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
Anyone breaking street date? I'm headed out and would grab it if I could...because I forgot to get it early enough on Amazon. :negative:

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

poonchasta posted:

In the US it's supposed to be midnight Eastern Time and 9 pm Pacific. So I'll be playing around 11 pm tonight.

Oh hell yes

Jehuti
Nov 19, 2010
Games out here in Australia and god drat this game kicks rear end. Time to chuck a sickie cause me and Daisy are gonna save the flower kingdom.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I WONDER when the game's gonna get good!!!!:imunfunny:

I will be getting it down the road, but spiderman takes precedent over talking goofy flowers.

Also anyone who mutes the talking flower is a coward.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Alright, I'm a few levels in and compared to Elden Ring the combat isn't as good, but the maps and platforming are soo much more fun to hop around in. Most enemies seem to pretty much die as soon as you step on them or very early you can get an OP weapon pretty easy if youre exploring the map. There's a block on the first level that has an elephant mushroom, if you use it you gain a frontal attack that kills enemies without jump attack.

I found another one that I'm thinking of building around, lets me defeat enemies without even touching them. Second or third level has a block with a fire flower you can equip that makes you shoot a magic projectile that destroys most enemies in one or a few hits. Good range and can easily stay out of danger and no-hit whole levels this way.

There's also a gold coin farm/exploit if you wanna stock up early, using the first item: splash water on the ground and it sprouts flowers that generate a coin. You can do this pretty much until you're sick of it and stack up huge coin counts at level one, no risk of enemy interupts.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

I got to be honest, fromsoft has never been great at platforming levels. I’m gonna put all my stats in wonder in dexterity, jumping seems pretty useful in this one.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

There appears to have been a mistake. I thought I was buying a video game but I seem to have received ALL the drugs.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

My nephew is really into Lugi's Mansion 3. I do hope he appreciates Mario Wonder.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

One of my favorite touches, something that NES Remix made more prominent and I'm glad to see continued here: you cast a shadow on the background!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Just started, seems fun so far. So what’s the purpose of the Wonder Seeds out of curiosity? Do they unlock levels or something later on like the Star Coins of old?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Larryb posted:

Just started, seems fun so far. So what’s the purpose of the Wonder Seeds out of curiosity? Do they unlock levels or something later on like the Star Coins of old?

Yes, the wonder seeds are level gating.
The purple wonder coins can be exchanged for goods and services cosmetics and maybe? badges.