Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which character do you most want to play as?
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Daisy
A Toad
Toadette
A Yoshi
Nabbit
Bowsette
View Results

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

DalaranJ posted:

Yes, the wonder seeds are level gating.
The purple wonder coins can be exchanged for goods and services cosmetics and maybe? badges.

I assume you need seeds to progress then (if so, anyone know the minimum amount required to complete the game yet)?

Also yes, the playable Yoshi can eat enemies in this game (he seems to have a new sound effect when using the flutter jump as well)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Oct 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Don't know the minimum but you get more than enough in each little area to progress ahead. Seems like each world has its own, so doing 100% of world 1 doesn't unlock a bunch of stuff automatically in the next.

Purp coins buy badges and some kind of gamble for standees that seem to just be something you can plop down in whatever the MP aspect of the game is for other players top see, or act as a respawn point in mp sessions.

That's cool about Yoshi, I have just been playing Daisy cause she's my fav and she doesn't get the SMB2 Peach float, but her r2 spinjump gets a little extra air time if you hit it mid-air. I assumed everyone had the same moveset, guess I'll experiment with the others next time I play. The levels have all been varied so far, easy so far but extremely pleasant and fun to run through with fun little moments and twists via the wonder get dizzies.

My biggest beef with the game is the weirdass noise they chose for the fireball.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Oct 20, 2023

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I've finished World 1 and looking at the Course screen I've got stamps that I think indicate 100% completion in a level (sort of a green tick stamp for having the gold flag for hitting the top of the flag pole, all wonder seeds, all three big coins, and I think importantly all exits?) on everything but a single course, though poking around I've yet to work out what secret I might be missing.

Early impressions? This game is absolutely delightful. There's such a fantastic sense of play in all of the levels, and every time I come across a Wonder Seed I'm always interested to see what will happen next. They're definitely not all created equal, but the ones that stick out to me in W1 are really fun/memorable.
From the trailers I thought the talking flowers would be something I'd disable immediately but hell, they somehow just work with the atmosphere of the game and I don't mind them yelling random nonsense at me as I run past.

I think anyone with good familiarity with how a Mario game works are going to breeze through the courses, but I'm hopeful 100%-ing the game might provide much more of a challenge, some of the big flower coins in particular (reminiscent of the Dino Coins from SMW) are fun little puzzles to work out how to get them or how to make them appear. One or two have been gated behind timed performance in little challenge stages, etc etc.

The other-player-ghosts online play thing is cute, you get heart points that don't do anything other than accumulate for helping other players, little bonuses for example if you wait to finish a level with other people and all hit the pole around the same time or if you drop someone a standee that they use (they have 5 seconds on death to reach a player or standee to revive) or an item.
I was able to show someone struggling with a jump the route to get up to the platform and then jump to the goal with them and some others, which ended with us all happily spamming our little greeting icons as the victory screen played out.
The only annoying thing is that there's a race mode that you can trigger at the start of a level, but you can only play it with actual friends on your friends list because Nintendo still refuse to believe that someone might want to do something like that with strangers.

plasticbones
Aug 4, 2023
So apparently some levels have secret seeds in them? Somehow activated a stampede sequence in the level "Bullrush Coming Through" which gave me a third seed, when the level originally said it only had 2. Does the game eventually reveal which levels have the extra seeds or is it all of them orrrrrrrrrrrrr

Edit: looks like my question was answered 2 mins before I hit send lmao

It's a pretty subtle halo effect around the seeds in the course screen that's pretty easy to miss. Might Definitely gonna get completely ignored by a lot of people. Great game tho

plasticbones fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Oct 20, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

plasticbones posted:

So apparently some levels have secret seeds in them? Somehow activated a stampede sequence in the level "Bullrush Coming Through" which gave me a third seed, when the level originally said it only had 2. Does the game eventually reveal which levels have the extra seeds or is it all of them orrrrrrrrrrrrr

I think there’s a badge you can get called the Sensor Badge that reveals stuff like that.

Also apparently the game is a bit on the short side (6 worlds total plus a secret one that only consists of a single level) but I’m having fun with it so far at least

Not really sure why there’s still a limited lives system though after Odyssey did away with it (hell, even the new 2D Sonic game didn’t have one) but that's a minor complaint

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Oct 20, 2023

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

I thought I was going to be annoyed with the talking flowers but not I kind of find them charming?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MachuPikacchu posted:

I thought I was going to be annoyed with the talking flowers but not I kind of find them charming?

Yeah, it’s not like they’re super intrusive or anything (when I first saw the trailer I was worried they’d literally stop the action in order to give you hints). All they do is say a quick line when you pass by them

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It sounds like a YouTuber or jack mcbrayer occasionally chittering while you play but it's not intrusive and fits the general soundscape just fine.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Asked this in the switch thread too but I gotta know. Can a coop player ride another players yoshi? Please say yes I wanna cart people around haha

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Hehehehehe Piranha Plants on Parade was great :kimchi:

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

ZeeBoi posted:

Hehehehehe Piranha Plants on Parade was great :kimchi:

I just finished World 1 and when I got to the Piranhas I knew this game was something special

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

unattended spaghetti posted:

Asked this in the switch thread too but I gotta know. Can a coop player ride another players yoshi? Please say yes I wanna cart people around haha

Yes, go nuts

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Done two levels and I found captain toad gently caress yes :3:

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Wish the game would save those post-level screenshots to my Switch album

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

While I never had much issue with NSMB series to be honest (in fact I really wish they’d port/remake the Wii version) this is probably the best 2D Mario we’ve had in years

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Last NSMB game was a decade so that statement is accurate in more ways than one

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

This level is mis-named, it should be titled Jump! Jump! SONOFA!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

hatty posted:

Last NSMB game was a decade so that statement is accurate in more ways than one

True, unless you want to count the Mario Maker games or that mobile title we haven’t had a 2D Mario game in general for a LONG time prior to this

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I like that Mario strikes a pose now when he gets a fire flower and he looks kinda cool?

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
This is easily best 2d Mario ever lol

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

slave to my cravings posted:

This is easily best 2d Mario ever lol

I'm not ready to judge but for me SMB3 is the mark to beat and it's never been matched. This already feels closer than other contenders though.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
This game’s amazing, my favorite 2d Mario in a really long time

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

World 2 and I'm already tired of the flowers going "Well THAT just happened" every time anything remotely unusual happens.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Procrastine posted:

World 2 and I'm already tired of the flowers going "Well THAT just happened" every time anything remotely unusual happens.

There is the option to turn it off if it really starts to bug you

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

In World 2, this made me chuckle when I "completed" a stage but not really and Luigi is just perplexed looking around

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Procrastine posted:

Love that sound!

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Nick Soapdish posted:

In World 2, this made me chuckle when I "completed" a stage but not really and Luigi is just perplexed looking around

I like finishing a level with a trunk full of water and spraying it on a flower kingdom subject :3:

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

This new voice actor sounds nothing like Bob Hoskins and frankly I'm offended

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Procrastine posted:

I'm glad they're alot less coddling than the directs made them look. But they're still obnoxious as hell. They don't need to be on every single screen. Let the game breathe.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Well those posts just happened.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I turned off the text boxes for them and changed to my native language and I'm enjoying them a ton.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Judge Tesla posted:

Well those posts just happened.

Love those posts!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Apparently Mario & Luigi aren’t the only ones that got a new VA in this game:

https://twitter.com/GZFernVO/status/1715442836169183277

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Playing 2 player and don't mind the camera focused on one player much but they should've kept the ability to bubble over to each other. It's lame when the unfocused player has to wait if the focused one lags behind.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Is this game the first time we heard Mario say "thank you"?

plasticbones
Aug 4, 2023

kiminewt posted:

Is this game the first time we heard Mario say "thank you"?

Um no NERD in Mario 64 he says "thank-a you so much for playing my game"

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

snoremac posted:

Playing 2 player and don't mind the camera focused on one player much but they should've kept the ability to bubble over to each other. It's lame when the unfocused player has to wait if the focused one lags behind.

You can turn into a ghost, it just doesn't appear in any tutorials. Hold L and R.
e: I'm actually not certain if it moves you any closer to the other player?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Wow, I am extremely underwhelmed by this so far after clearing the first world. I thought the last game was a lot better. It had more 3d areas—hence the name, I guess; wasn’t it Super Mario 3d World?

Maybe it’s because I’m playing with my wife so I have to go pretty slowly, but I think this game sucks so far and it’s because there are no hidden stars. She and I played the last one and had the most fun searching for the three hidden stars in each level. This has none of that. It’s just extremely easy platforming

Please tell me it gets better. For a game called “Wonder” I’m finding very little wonder outside of a couple cutesy songs. Feels like a game much more targeted toward children only than 3d world

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

blue squares posted:

Wow, I am extremely underwhelmed by this so far after clearing the first world. I thought the last game was a lot better. It had more 3d areas—hence the name, I guess; wasn’t it Super Mario 3d World?

Maybe it’s because I’m playing with my wife so I have to go pretty slowly, but I think this game sucks so far and it’s because there are no hidden stars. She and I played the last one and had the most fun searching for the three hidden stars in each level. This has none of that. It’s just extremely easy platforming

Please tell me it gets better. For a game called “Wonder” I’m finding very little wonder outside of a couple cutesy songs. Feels like a game much more targeted toward children only than 3d world

Super Mario 3D World had more 3D areas because it was a 3D platformer, this one is a 2D platformer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Lobster Harmonica posted:

Super Mario 3D World had more 3D areas because it was a 3D platformer, this one is a 2D platformer

Yeah I didn’t read anything or watch any trailers, so I just assumed this was the sequel. My mistake :(