Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

The question is pretty much what I asked in the title. Is the Surface Pro 2 256GBwith Win 8.1 Pro usable as an external dedicated monitor or drawing tablet for a computer running Windows 11? I salvaged it from recycling and would like to repurpose it as a second monitor/drawing tablet for my wife's laptop since she's taking art and architecture classes and it would be useful.

-There's a bunch of software installed and still licensed by the previous owner, so if I can upgrade without wiping it, would it be a good idea to upgrade to Win10?
-I can't get it to connect to a laptop as an external monitor/device, the best I can do is get it to pair via Bluetooth
-The "Connect" app I see people referencing seems to be deprecated. (thanks for reinstalling remote desktop, I guess?)
-I have USB A and USB C network adapters and a managed switch; If sticking with Win 8.1 is preferable I could keep connections blocked unless needed. If Win10 fully supports such an old PC, having a non-EOL OS would be better, right?

Any guidance or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

W10 will run but it could be slow depending on what apps you're using. How much RAM does it have?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Zogo posted:

W10 will run but it could be slow depending on what apps you're using. How much RAM does it have?
8GB, and it has an i5-4300 processor.

Also, looking again, the only thing I don't have a license for is SQL server 2013, so a clean install will be fine as long as I can use it as a graphics tablet for another computer.

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Sep 26, 2023

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
11 requires newer hardware generally. I run a 4000 series cpu for my POS system with win 10, its slow for most things but not horrible. I think the ssd in the surface is rear end slow though.

A slow cpu with a slow ssd is going to make this a bit slow I reckon.

Oh hey 8gb is absolute minimum ram too. I'd prioritize selling it and upgrading to something much newer. Surface do not hold value, I bet a 4 or 3 would be enough of a bump

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

down1nit posted:

11 requires newer hardware generally. I run a 4000 series cpu for my POS system with win 10, its slow for most things but not horrible. I think the ssd in the surface is rear end slow though.

A slow cpu with a slow ssd is going to make this a bit slow I reckon.

Oh hey 8gb is absolute minimum ram too. I'd prioritize selling it and upgrading to something much newer. Surface do not hold value, I bet a 4 or 3 would be enough of a bump

3s are ok for using CSP on their own with their stylus, but won't work as an addition to a desktop well. We have one we use for travel work. It's decent for that, but I've always been enderwhelmed by the stylus.

Op is trying to do something like Apple does with the ipad and I'm going to say outright that the experience is going to be jank at best.

If you're looking for a dedicated piece of hardware rather than an on- the- go solution, just get an XP-Pen in the Artist Pro series (ver 15.6 or above- 24 has an AdobeRGB screen with full gamut and that's ridic for the price point) and call it a day. It's roughly $300-$400, which is lower than the price point a Surface is actually a passable machine at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

If Lenovo customer service ever gets my laptop working, I think I'll sell the Surface. Thanks to everyone who weighed in. Whether I can get the 13" Wacom tablet working on my desktop or her laptop, I'll get it set up for my wife and make her art classes easier to deal with for her if anything is too small to scan.