Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

That is... the worst star+trash lineup I have ever seen

Not old enough to remember the 05-06 Penguins?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I remember Boris Katchouk being pretty good on my NHL 04 franchise team

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

Not old enough to remember the 05-06 Penguins?

That had part of Lemieux, Recchi (for a little), and Gonchar
What else does Chicago have

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Italian beef.

Oh you mean for their lineup? I like that it looks like they only have one goalie.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

And Ziggy Palffy! And John LeClair, who hated Crosby's guts. A little who's-who of washed up ex-stars on that team.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Anyone else watching Jack Eichel on Monday Night Football? Good God, hockey players are boring.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

And Ziggy Palffy! And John LeClair, who hated Crosby's guts. A little who's-who of washed up ex-stars on that team.

And if you want to wither into dust... Crosby and Malkin are now as old as LeClair and Recchi were on that team.

:ohno:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

And if you want to wither into dust... Crosby and Malkin are now as old as LeClair and Recchi were on that team.

:ohno:

I've now been a hockey fan in some form longer in my life than the period of time I wasn't. :negative:

(This would've happened last year if not for the 2004-05 Lockout. Thanks, Gary.)

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

That is... the worst star+trash lineup I have ever seen

They gonna be fun to watch, it's developing year for some of the kids more than an outright tank. With the 13 (5 first rounders) picks in the first two rounds in the three upcoming drafts, they are going to stock up on an already promising prospect pool, perhaps even win the lottery again. They will be fighting for a playoff spot in 3-4 years.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
Wyatt Kaiser is a good rear end name

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I'm shocked the Jets were able to resign Scheifele and Hellebuyck. Seems like it would've been in their interest to trade em and do an actual rebuild rather than be mediocre another 5+ years.

Also real hockey tonight yay

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Make a thread so we can all pretend Mike Babcock never happened.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Kale posted:

Suzuki is ridiculously underrated honestly, but I feel like we've finally at long last found a real true #1 franchise center and Captain in the guy, which the Habs just have not had in like the last decade honestly. He's just got all the pieces to finally fill out that role for the Habs. Great personality, seems to be trusted as a leader/pace setter and well liked by the team as a result. Always competes every shift. Great playmaking/vision/creativity ability and two way game. Never takes stupid penalties that I've seen and plays a clean game. Protects the puck well on breakouts and zone entry, which is a skill that eludes many Habs players and is also good at getting it off of opposing teams players at key moments. Good on the PP enough to actually make it functional when he's out for a change. Has great chemistry with teams top scorer in Caufield. Great in the shootout and pretty drat clutch in situations like where they ended up down 4-3 against Ottawa suddenly and seems to always be the guy to pull the Habs out of a hole when needed. Like I really see very little downside to Suzuki as a Habs fan and it feels like he'll probably only continue to get better over the next several seasons if he stays healthy, which he's also like the only Habs player to manage that last year which is also another upside....apparent durability.

Kinda reminds me of a bit more talented Guy Carbonneau. Not gonna do it on his own necessarily, but a great leader and he's not nothing offensively.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Anyone else watching Jack Eichel on Monday Night Football? Good God, hockey players are boring.

"uh I'm actually more of a Patriots fan" of course you are. Of course you are.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
IT"S OPENING NIGHT IDIOTS

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
I love that the NHLs answer to a couple homophobes boycotting pride night is to remove the option for any players to wear a pride jersey or use pride colored tape entirely lol

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I'm really going to watch a Blackhawks game voluntarily that the Devils aren't playing in?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Dirty Burger posted:

I love that the NHLs answer to a couple homophobes boycotting pride night is to remove the option for any players to wear a pride jersey or use pride colored tape entirely lol

Remove John Tortorella and the Philadelphia Flyers imoco

The OC is for objectively correct.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The Dirty Burger posted:

https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1711749959916097674

Jesus tap-dancing Christ, how is this league so dumb? What the hell makes them think THIS is going to result in any PR they'd possibly want on opening night?

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

The Dirty Burger posted:

I was reading about this this morning and it has taken the wind out of the sails of my excitement for the season starting--bums me all the way out

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

CBJSprague24 posted:

https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1711749959916097674

Jesus tap-dancing Christ, how is this league so dumb? What the hell makes them think THIS is going to result in any PR they'd possibly want on opening night?

What do you expect with a BOG of billionaire dinosaurs.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The correct answer would have been to keep what they did last year, but instead of subtly platforming the hateful beliefs of the bigots who declined just let their absence speak for itself.

But what the Flyers did opened the floodgates and then you got whole owners declining to do it and here we are.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Remember the You Can Play initiative lol

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

https://x.com/BillSpaulding/status/1711764397352239190?s=20

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

I can't remember a team that actually tried to go with two balanced units for any length of time but maybe I'm forgetting someone

Although I'd argue Bratt/Jack pushes the 2nd over the top

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1711767888313327829

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY

Athanasiou, Foligno, Hall, Perry, T. Johnson, and Bedard could be a decent top 6. It will depend on how they gel and how good Bedard is. And if Perry's body doesn't give out.

They won't make the playoffs, but I think they wont be as bad as some people think.

Mr. Kite fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Oct 10, 2023

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Anyone in PAS still have the Gravity Falls Pens scoring gifs?

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Mr. Kite posted:

Athanasiou, Foligno, Hall, Perry, T. Johnson, and Bedard could be a decent top 6. It will depend on how they gel and how good Bedard is. And if Perry's body doesn't give out.

They won't make the playoffs, but I think they wont be as bad as some people think.
Huh? Athanasiou, Foligno and Perry are all cromulent bottom 6 guys, but that Top 6 is far from decent.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Mr. Kite posted:

Athanasiou, Foligno, Hall, Perry, T. Johnson, and Bedard could be a decent top 6

Yeah I can see this forward corps being top 30 in the league.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Mr. Kite posted:

if they manage to find a time machine for everyone not named Bedard sure

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

In his rookie season McDavid had Hall, Eberle, RNH, and Draisaitl in the top six and they finished 25th overall in offence. I don't think the same Hall but 7 years older and a bunch of washed up guys born in the mid 80s are gonna somehow outperform that.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Its true that some of them are older now. But Perry, Foligno, Johnson, and Donato can still contribute 10-15 goals. I bet Hall hits 20 goals this season. Athanasiou had 20 last season. So did Raddysh. Guttman and Reichel played well in limited games and should improve. And Bedard will be Bedard.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
All of those players are very bad except for Hall who is a 2nd liner'ish for Boston before now plumbing the depths of the league with Chicago and Bedard who is extremely good and I hate.

Edit: Ryan Donato will score 10-15 because he's going to be playing something like 16+ minutes a night with powerplay time not because he's good.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Simplex posted:

Huh? Athanasiou, Foligno and Perry are all cromulent bottom 6 guys, but that Top 6 is far from decent.

Yeah, the only guy I'd want in their role on even a decent fringe playoff team is Bedard and even then he's still a rookie.

Hall hasn't had a PPG season in 5 years and has 3 in 10, including a 37 in 33 5 years ago (the year after his Hart), and a 80 in75 10 years ago. At 31, is he more than solid 2nd liner who's going to be counted on for top line production?

Johnson's 29 goal season was 5 years ago and since then his best year was probably last year where he scored at a 17 goal, 47 point pace. Using pace because he also hasn't played more than 65 games since. He's probably in the category of good teams want someone better at the bottom of their top 6 and can't afford him for a 3rd line where he'd be a solid contributor.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ThinkTank posted:

In his rookie season McDavid had Hall, Eberle, RNH, and Draisaitl in the top six and they finished 25th overall in offence. I don't think the same Hall but 7 years older and a bunch of washed up guys born in the mid 80s are gonna somehow outperform that.

remember puljujarvi?

that's it that's the post

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Arivia posted:

remember puljujarvi?

that's it that's the post

Huh he's unsigned. Thought he had another year in Carolina. Oh well womp.

In looking up the information I learned that Austin Watson signed in Tampa so way to go in replacing gently caress Corey Perry with an even bigger piece of poo poo.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Putting this here to compare against results in 6 months.

Bedard: 30
Raddysh: 25
Hall: 20
Athanasiou: 20
Reichel: 20
Guttman: 15
Johnson: 15
Donato: 15
Perry: 10
Foligno: 10

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Is that games missed to injury?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Waffles Inc. posted:

I was reading about this this morning and it has taken the wind out of the sails of my excitement for the season starting--bums me all the way out

I gave up after it came out Terry Pegula made a “the blacks should go back to Africa” comment and pretty much no one gave a poo poo, lol. This is how the owners are

Hell in the NBA the only reason Sterling got kicked out was the very real and very imminent threat of a strike