Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

It's the fall. Leafs are growing taller somehow. Players are in the best shape of their lives. The Hockey Canada WJC investigation report is juuuuussstttttt about to be released any day now. The NHL decided to ensure that the game will never take root in Australia by sending the Kings and Coyotes as a warning to potential fans. Mike Babcock got hired and then fired for still being Mike Babcock. Some meaningless games are gonna get played or something.

Hockey folks, it's back. Time to post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Call Your Grandma posted:

why is arizona playing 3 games tomorrow?

They sent half the team to Australia where they're doing a global series game and I guess they're also doing a split squad in St. Louis. Weird.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

Kind of hockey related.

https://twitter.com/CordCuttersNews/status/1705209476276523226?s=20

This is terrible. I pay for DirecTV Stream which isn't cheap but at least I also get HBO (including Max) and all 5 MSG channels on it so I don't miss a game. It's getting cheaper to just have cable if you watch sports.

quote:

The New MSG+ service will also offer the ability to see live betting odds, personalized offers, and support on more devices.

:lol: at them trying to spin on screen ads as a feature.

"your favourite sporting events will feature action breaks including catered content and exciting deals from top brands!"

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

I spend way more on DTVs but at least that c overs me for Football and HBO and whatever else I might occasionally watch live. Legit couldn't imagine spending that much for JUST Rangers games holy poo poo.

Thanks to our media cartels cable is like $130/mo to get all the hockey games here. SportsnetNow is I think $250 a year but that doesn't include local or national games. It gives me all the sportsnet channels so I can watch the Blue Jays as well but that's just the cost of things in Canada.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Habibi posted:

I feel for Couture.

Just remember he's a whiny baby who cried on twitter after he got punched in the face for not shutting up about Trump

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Unceasingly making GBS threads all over Kindl for years on end? I had no idea Babcock posted here.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Good for him, it's not easy speaking out like that. I have a lot of respect for him for doing so. Too bad he's a Flame.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

deoju posted:

Check out this ancient SAS meme that somebody posted in the random waffle image thread.

The series that tore SAS apart was what introduced me to this place, so really it's damaging effects have continued unabated for 17 consecutive years.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Is an NMC really the reason Pietrangelo left? Did the Blues let their all-star right shot defencemen who captained them to a cup leave because he asked to not be put on waivers or exposed in an expansion draft (which is the only additional thing an NMC covers compared to an NTC)? Boy was that stupid.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

"It's the first time for me seeing bussy live" - NHL Announcer, 2023

Why doesn't he change his name pronunciation to Busey? I

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Mr. Kite posted:

Is it pronounced Bus-sy or Boo-sy?

The first one. Identical to the slang "bussy." At least that's how the Bruins announcer is saying it.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Lol at the kid in the Bruins stormtrooper mask behind the bench

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ah yes this is the Canucks I forgot about this somehow

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I love the despair of games like this. It's just preseason but it is comforting know that the Canucks future isn't bright either.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

are they icing anyone likely to make the team tonight?
That roster doesn't look like anything

Up to a week ago Silovs was going to be our backup and is the goaltender of the future. Podkolzin. Hoglander, Raty and Klimovich are their top young NHL ready forward prospects and all of them have been god awful. Calgary iced a far better lineup, but a bunch of guys fighting for some open spots really blew it tonight.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I don't think there's anything to read into Coronato's game tonight. The Canucks iced a vastly inferior lineup to the Flames and then didn't bother to show up. Silovs and Sawchenko got picked apart and the defence just let the Flames forwards fire at will. It was bad all round.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Preds are doomed for mediocrity of forwards for all time.

Martin Erat is 4th all-time in Predators scoring. The franchise has existed for 25 years now.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Only 87 more to go!

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

It still nuts to me that the Sabres are putting so much on Levi here. He's a great prospect but drat they are going to ruin his self confidence if he's not instantly successful. Even if they really want to go with him, why not bring in a more capable backup than Eric Comrie? Were there really no vets willing to take a 2 x $2.5m deal to split time for the Sabres?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

DaysBefore posted:

0-10.... bro....

Experience the thrill of Vancouver Canucks hockey.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

It is completely insane that in a century only one player has put up 1000pts in a Rangers uniform. The San Jose Sharks who came into existence in 1991 have more!

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

Mika Zibanejad is #15 at the moment. There's a decent chance he cracks tops 5 lol

In just 283 career games Quinn Hughes is already 6th overall in Canucks defensive scoring. It's entirely possible he's top three by the end of the year. He's 2-2.5 seasons away from #1.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Weak. Even the Quebec Nordiques have one.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Pittsbugh, Boston, Chicago and Detroit all have 4 1000pt scorers. Edmonton will likely end up at #1 in the next couple seasons or so with 5 when McDavid and Draisaitl get there.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I see you there tempting the hockey gods

Oh heaven forbid McDavid and Draisaitl don't reach 1000pts with the Oilers. Possibly because they publicly ask for trades because they hate the city so much. That's the last thing I want. Oh cruel deities of hockey do not instill this terrible punishment on me. I would detest it so. Alas though if you must I shall endure it somehow.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

No Oiler has ever famously departed the team.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Lauren Kyle has Kyle & Co thriving in St Albert designing oil money chic interiors for the alt right hockey moms of Sherwood Park, St Albert and Fort Saskatchewan.

Connor's one more night of drunken philandering away from Lauren insisting they move to New York.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Why would you ever air fry a steak when you can slap it on an iron skillet for like 4 minutes

How dare you question master chef Patrik Laine. He knows how to make instant rice.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

It is 4-0 5 minutes into the Flyers game

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Flyers gunning hard for the Canucks' "most embarrassing preseason debut" title.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

fisting by many posted:

I dunno if Kuzmenko picked it up late last season but the eye test showed he was benefitting a lot from Pettersson. I mean, sure, getting open down low and being a target is a skill, I just have my doubts that he's the #2 driver on the team. Then again, looking at the rest of the lineup, maybe he is.

Kuzmenko had the highest single season shooting percentage in history last year. Either he's the greatest sniper ever, or he's a 20 goal scorer. I think most would lean towards the latter.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

It's always funny when teammates fight in practice. Imagine getting so mad at a coworker you beat them up and your boss praises you for it.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Mind_Taker posted:

I don't really hate certain teams like I used to. Except Carolina.

Don Cherry is vindicated once again

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I'm just impressed Lemieux has hung around this long. If pressed I'd have guessed he'd last played in 2020.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Canucks legend Hunter Shinkaruk nearly made the team at 18 after a fantastic preseason. We all know of the storied career that followed.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The issue with Benson is that he’s too good to go back to the WHL, can’t play in the AHL and is a small fry who will get murdered in the NHL. He’s in the same position Shane Wright was last season iirc where they’ll have to just hold him in Limbo most of the season. But like, he’s really good.

There is no such thing as too good for junior, especially for an 18 year old. Just send him back. He's shown well, now let him put up 125pts with Wenatchee.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Making comprehensible charts isn't Dom's strength.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Vasilevsky is out two months with back surgery. You can always count on Tampa to come up with some fascinating new way to become technically cap compliant.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hextall sucks so much

The Pens could've had Brock Boeser for John Marino if they wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Curtis Lazar was #20 last year.