Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

You see that bucket of pig poo poo over there? Imagine it could add numbers together.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

immediately losing him because he doesnt know what adding is.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

telling them you need install glibc1.35 for neovim 2.0

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

post hole digger posted:

You see that bucket of pig poo poo over there? Imagine it could add numbers together.

but also you couldn't get it to make any sound no matter how hard you kick it over or dump the poo poo all over the place

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

getting executed for installing gentoo on the kings computer

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
m’lord

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
My court wizard installed MerlinOS and now my minstrels are all completely silent

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
*getting tortured in a stretching rack*

haha talk about getting a debian stretch!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
voted sick

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
"its a gregorian chant operating system"

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

shame on a kitty who try to run game on a kitty

wu buck wild wit tha trigga

WITCHCRAFT.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

AnimeIsTrash posted:

getting executed for installing gentoo on the kings computer

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
For this crime, you will marked as executable!

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
+x :guillotine:

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

in medieval europe, being in the wheel group is a bad thing actually

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

ok you know the scripture right?

well imagine the scripture is written by the community and openly available for everyone to use, free of charge. and if you don’t like it you can make your own scripture.

*gets executed for heresy by the church*

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

can’t write reiserfs without serf

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
yeah... despite it's technical merits we do NOT use henryviiifs

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

In the future we stare at magic boxes all day. Some boxes are owned by greedy corporations that horde our wealth, while other boxes simply benefit these wealthy corporations while not explicitly being owned by them

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

I used to wonder how people quoted instead of edited and then we changed the button names >:(

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

just cover his ears with cloth so he can't hear

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

you can download 150mb scans here: https://archive.org/details/unix-magic

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

thou dost loving eat poo poo

Grum
May 7, 2007
medieval peasants would understand linux fine but you have to explain in terms they already understand

god = unix
the father = linux
the son = not gnu
the holy ghost = bsd

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
stations of the cron

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
"a demon tricks you with promises of freedom into taking a vow of silence"

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

imagine the bard who sings you into a drunken stupor at the pub was playing songs entirely of your own control. actually hearing the songs requires a bit of work.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

upstaging the court alchemist by showing the court how to quit out of vim

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
explaining to the guy who can be legally sold and beaten by his lord that being able to examine the source code of your computer programs is a fundamental human right

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

since sound reproduction hasn’t been figured out yet, they wouldn’t have to worry about that.

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
here’s 5 pence, peasant. get thyself a better computer

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Grum posted:

medieval peasants would understand linux fine but you have to explain in terms they already understand

god = unix
the father = linux
the son = not gnu
the holy ghost = bsd

the father = rms, creator of all things
the son = linus, took His word to the people
the holy spirit = esr, well he's errr... he's important because... look don't ask ok he just is

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

explaining to the guy who can be legally sold and beaten by his lord that being able to examine the source code of your computer programs is a fundamental human right

medieval Europe, not antebellum usa

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
you can store your grain in the case, and use the heatsink to comb your matted hair.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
having a whole society of peasant slave labor write the bios for your laptop because the magna carta isn't Free as in speech.

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
[the court jester]: YOSPOS m'bitch

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

my homie dhall posted:

[the court jester]: YOSPOS m'bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
explaining linux to your date