Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

The Management posted:

explaining linux to your date

it’s like a hip hop operating system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

OldAlias posted:

it’s like a hip hop operating system

wherever that woman is today, I hope "the time my weird ex showed up to the airport with a bunch of nerds" remains a story in rotation with her friend group

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
being extremely careful with my word choice while explaining daemons

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

"it is why i have come to live in your village as a humble farmer, so that i may never see or touch this thing ever again"

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
“no, for the last time. not that sort of root”

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program
free as in freehold

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
free as in mead

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program
nice to see you aren't reliant on windows

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

if it was in particular esr trapped in the past, then I assume basically the entirety of army of darkness would end up getting reenacted

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
weirdly they said they had enough open sores all ready :confused:

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
i tried to give a 30m presentation about the basics of OS theory to our salespeople once. i can't imagine a medieval peasant would be _that_ different an audience

it's just "okay imagine rocks can think really fast, but they can only think about one thing at a time, so you have them think about a thought management system to trick them into thinking about multiple things" either way

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
would medieval peasants be dumb as gently caress

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

i tried to give a 30m presentation about the basics of OS theory to our salespeople once. i can't imagine a medieval peasant would be _that_ different an audience

it's just "okay imagine rocks can think really fast, but they can only think about one thing at a time, so you have them think about a thought management system to trick them into thinking about multiple things" either way

i think you'd struggle to motivate the need for the rocks to think at all though.

like, even once computers were a thing it took decades for people to really imagine wide-spread use.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i think you'd struggle to motivate the need for the rocks to think at all though.

like, even once computers were a thing it took decades for people to really imagine wide-spread use.

same reason you give the salespeople: because people will buy it if you tell them it'll make them more money. how do they actually do this? gently caress knows, that's for post-sales to figure out

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

perhaps if you could convince the peasant that a rock could believe in god sufficiently for entry into heaven for them. but tbh i think it may be excessive to have an operating system on the rock for that purpose.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
peasants used rocks to send people to heaven all the time without a single thought occurring

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

tbh they'd probably ignore you as just another lunatic shouting in the town square for attention

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
can we fit linux on a qr code and leave that on a big rock somewhere for futer generations to work it out and get gifted god's own operating system - the linux

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

echinopsis posted:

can we fit linux on a qr code and leave that on a big rock somewhere for futer generations to work it out and get gifted god's own operating system - the linux

A Canticle for Torvalds

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

echinopsis posted:

hell... let's do it. anyone got a basalt stele they don't need anymore?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

echinopsis posted:

well, theyre your ancestors. so yes.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

echinopsis posted:

i'm sure they believed all sorts of incorrect and harmful things, but that's just a product of the time.

medieval peasants were probably just as capable of coming up with smart solutions and planning as everyone else.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

echinopsis posted:

as long as you surround it with rocks inscribed with

this place is not a place of honor... no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here... nothing valued is here.
what is here was dangerous and repulsive to us. this message is a warning about danger.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
you see, a windows license key is like a computers immortal soul, so if you use Linux, you’re communing with soulless devils

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

echinopsis posted:

if reading Ken Follett novels have taught me anything, it's that most peasants were good-natured but wildly horny while the nobility were evil and corrupt and also wildly horny

so basically just like today op

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

also everyone in history was drunk, which may make the explaining more palatable really

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

also everyone in history was drunk, which may make the explaining more palatable really

were in history today right now from a certain point of view

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

fart simpson posted:

well, theyre your ancestors. so yes.

got his rear end

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

echinopsis posted:

not after they learn about linux

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i’m going to start up a one laptop per serf program.

the trick is sending them back in time, anyone got a good lead on that?

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Eeyo posted:

i’m going to start up a one laptop per serf program.

the trick is sending them back in time, anyone got a good lead on that?

please, those peasants have suffered enough

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

m'liege, this is a Wenchy's

filthy regex
Oct 1, 2010

s/ (. Y .) / 8==D~~ /g

Sweevo posted:

the father = rms, creator of all things

it is time to receive holy communion

*places a flake of foot into your outstretched hands*

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
if you want this experience, just head on over to the bsd thread

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

AnimeIsTrash posted:

not after they learn about linux

:hmmyes:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

you know those manuscripts with the cool pictures and the words you can't read? ok so take away the pictures and just leave the incomprehensible parts

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

my manuscripts are illuminated without the need for freedom-denying blob DRM codecs :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

explaining intellectual property to a medieval peasant