Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

I'm going to have to buy a new nvme just for dcs maps and f-16 skins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Prawned posted:

I'm going to have to buy a new nvme just for dcs maps and f-16 skins.

Its what i had to do.

If you’re on the fence about signing up for this just know that the A4 module and base game are completely free (you will need the map though $) and with just a joystick and cheap webcam airgoons can get you flying in an afternoon or two.

Startup and basic operations for the A4 are incredibly simple compared to much of DCS and there are also many helpful youtube guides.

That Works fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Sep 27, 2023

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

That Works posted:

If you’re on the fence about signing up for this just know that the A4 module and base game are completely free and with just a joystick and cheap webcam airgoons can get you flying in an afternoon or two.

We're not in kansas caucasus anymore

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Xakura posted:

We're not in kansas caucasus anymore

Edited!

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

That Works posted:

Its what i had to do.

If you’re on the fence about signing up for this just know that the A4 module and base game are completely free (you will need the map though $) and with just a joystick and cheap webcam airgoons can get you flying in an afternoon or two.

Startup and basic operations for the A4 are incredibly simple compared to much of DCS and there are also many helpful youtube guides.

The webcam is for head tracking software, not for a small star fox chat window.

Like this, but when you use it it doesn't show your face to anyone. Helps with situational awareness.

Corky Romanovsky fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Sep 27, 2023

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Facetracking with a basic webcam works really well, I did it for years. The delanclip is fairly cheap and a significant upgrade, and is what I had before the final transition to mega-dork-vr-haver.

The best thing about this campaign is no idiot f-18 hornet pilots trying to say that it, in any way, competes with the superior vipenation.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Vipes will reign supreme from any of the couple of air bases from which they can actually operate.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Vahakyla posted:

There is a choice to be made!

:frogsiren:

The choice: Do you want game day 01 (irl 14th October 2023) to have more CAP planes or CAS planes available?

If you choose F-5s, it's CAP. If you choose the Su-25Ts, it's more CAS or Strike.

RESOLUTION JAGUAR (Fetch the F-5 parts)

RESOLUTION GUINEA PIG (Fetch the Su-25T parts)

The armament and capability of these planes (as represented in DCS) are as follows:

F5
  • Two relatively primitive short range A2A missiles.
  • Can be a credible threat flying Soviet style GCI intercepts from the mountains, but I wouldn't trust the AI to effectively do that.

Su-25T

• Soviet equivalent of A-10
  • A variety of precision and non-precision A2G weapons
  • The ability to fire anti-radiation missiles.

As much as I personally love the F-5, I feel that the Su-25T would be the better pick, as it can CAS far more effectively than the F-5 can CAP. To that end, I vote

The Angry Brit
Sep 17, 2005

Do I pull G's? no sir, I'm married

Vahakyla posted:

At this moment, the once mighty Royal Navy is a practical joke, saved only by the swift action offered by Brazil and Argentina.

Unacceptable.

Her Majesty took this personally and is directly overseeing troop training

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I am also in favor of the SU-25T's. And I think a Guinea Pig would taste good.

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug

The A-4 is such a good module it feels almost criminal that it is free. The closest paid module it can compare to is the F-5 and, while I love the F-5, I personally think the A-4 has it beat in capability all around. The F-5 does shine in some places but imo not enough to overshadow the A-4.

The A-4 can do:
-SEAD. The AGM-45 Shrike isn't great but flying NOE and popping up 8nm from the SAM site and rippling off 4 missiles and diving back down to the deck never gets old.

-Rudimentary computer calculated release point (CCRP) bombing. The F-5 requires lots of practice to get bombs even close to your intended target. If the situation allows it the A-4 will take a lot of the guess work out of it and, if weather is taken into consideration, can get your bombs right in the pickle barrel with COMPUTER RELEASE.

-A useful HUD/pipper. While it's not new enough for a modern HUD it does have a gun net of sorts with measurements for mils and what have yous. I personally find it 500% more helpful in learning dumb bombing profiles vs the F-5's very simplistic pipper.

-A radar altimeter! Are you a big time dumb guy like me and hate even the most simple of mathematics? Have you looked at a bombing profile table and seen something like "drop at: 2000 AGL" and gotten angry at the thought of having to look at the target altitude and doing simple mental math to work out your AGL? Well worry no longer! Just set your radar altimeter to your desired AGL and a big red warning light will come on and tell you you're at 2000 AGL.

-Startup is ridiculously easy. It's like 4 steps.

-Its nimble as hell and just Fun To Fly. Plus if you roll too hard you can make yourself blackout.

-It can carry every munition the F-5 can and more. Napalm, cluster bomb dispensers, gun pods to name a few. Plus the guns are loaded via something like a nitrogen canister so when you arm your guns it makes a satisfying BANG.

-It has a pretty decent ground detecting radar as well if your flying low in bad weather. I don't think you can target anything with it like you can with the F-5, though.

-Can land on boat.

Some cons:
-It is quite annoying to get the hang of the nose wheel steering on the ground. It's operated via left and right wheel brakes so you'll probably end up off the taxiway once when you're learning it. But it's fine when you get used to it.

-It doesn't have a cage/uncage system for the AIM-9. This isn't a huge deal but it definitely makes the F-5 a slightly better A2A platform with it's radar ranging and uncageable sidewinders.

*Slaps the top of the A-4 you're sitting in.* So, what can I do to get you into an A-4 Skyhawk today?

Steak fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Sep 27, 2023

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Steak posted:

-It is quite annoying to get the hang of the nose wheel steering on the ground. It's operated via left and right wheel brakes so you'll probably end up off the taxiway once when you're learning it. But it's fine when you get used to it.

Our version doesn't have nose wheel steering, it's just freely castering. You're turning by differential braking.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I also think the Su25T is a better call

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug

Xakura posted:

Our version doesn't have nose wheel steering, it's just freely castering. You're turning by differential braking.

Yeah it's like steering an office chair.

Edit: I, too, vote for the SU-25 parts. The Froggie will likely be useful for something ground focused in the future and we have the Chilean Vipes to hopefully deal with stuff in the air.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Su-25T

As much as I personally love the F-5, I feel that the Su-25T would be the better pick, as it can CAS far more effectively than the F-5 can CAP. To that end, I vote

I agree with your recommendation of the SU-25 parts based on their abysmal readiness rates in Peru around 2010 and the likelihood they catch flak or a MANPADS in utilization (or run out of gas while RTB).

otoh, these are legacy SU-25UBs exported by Belarus (represented by the free module) rather than the vaporware SU-25T, so I wouldn’t expect them to be rocking all the PGMs we usually see the fantasy SU-25T missions pulling. Probably still a lot of dumb bomb and rocket slinging. Unless in anime storyline mode, Peru somehow gets access to Russia’s cancelled stores of ~8 SU-25Ts in the world and the weapons to go with them.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
The story already has Argentina and the UK fighting on the same side; I think we're well past "anime storyline" mode.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

BurntCornMuffin posted:

The armament and capability of these planes (as represented in DCS) are as follows:

F5
  • Can be a credible threat flying Soviet style GCI intercepts from the mountains, but I wouldn't trust the AI to effectively do that.

Su-25T

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
My heart says F-5, but it's lack of any radar guided medium to long ranged ordinance means they'll just get lit up by the PLAAF while being ineffectual at their role. Especially with the AI being the ones running them.

As such, I'll be N'thing the choice for the SU-25T. Especially if it's gonna be packing R-73's for self defense

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
This game looks sweet, I’m looking forward to watching and enjoying. Since my partner is a rabid Argentina fan, I’ll have to read up a bit on contemporary Argentina and see if I can contribute anything.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Davin Valkri posted:

The story already has Argentina and the UK fighting on the same side; I think we're well past "anime storyline" mode.

”Same side” here is more like strange bedfellows. Island naming disputes are just on the backburner during the existential threat.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
We have China doing a cross-Atlantic island hopping campaign while engaged in a global war. We're in a wacky timeline.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I'm curious about the F5 and I think it would be good to give them more love, these beauties clearly deserve it.

On the other hand I've spent all evening yesterday to set up the SU25T in the absence of an F18 :v:

No but seriously, the SU25T is free and can probably be pretty capable in A2G. And the Vikhrs can even be used against other slow planes and helicopters! Its only real downside is that it doesn't have a clickable cockpit but I managed to get most workflwos mapped pretty neatly on my HOTAS and there are guides to map it onto a Logitech stick.

Given finally that the map is already pretty steeply priced, I think we would be wise to give it to the more accessible option. Despite me being really curious about the F5 I think we should go with the SU25T in this case, purely for keeping it accessible.

PS: wait will this be SU25 or SU25T? If it's the SU25 i need to go bind a bunch of keys again and I really like that little monitor :qq:

In regards to Argentinia and the UK being strange bedfellows: Italy, the Balkans, Soviet Union, Japan (...). Hell, Germany joining the same defensive alliance as fricking France and The Netherlands. There have been stranger switches of allegiance in a shorter amount of time. It's fine. Argentinia and the UK will be able to very quickly rationalize away any unease.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Game master:

It will be the Su-25T(because it is free in DCS and also it is the same hull and humpback as the Su-25UBs in Peru). Some weapons limitations will apply to get it closer to Peruvian capability.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I am being pushed to install this...Curse you goons!

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Sigint code decrypted. What could it mean?
code:
SWORD
DE AGINCOURT
INFO COMSUBACLANT
P 101256ZFEB10
BT
READY FOR REHERSAL DINNER
IN TWENTY FOUR HOURS
WE COME UNSEEN
BT
NNNN

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Early Morning, Tortel, Chile

Tortel is a small boasting an impressive lumber industry and a less impressive port for a small fleet of fishing ships. The wooden walkways straddle dense jungle that encroaches over the water at every opportunity. Tortel is not receiving a normal visitor this foggy morning. With most of the locals still asleep or quietly hustled on their way, a black shape rises from the channel and slips soundlessly into port.

Men and cargo offloaded from HMS Astute, were picked up by helicopter and brought to El Calafate Airport. As quickly and silently as it arrived, the Astute slipped back out of port and beneath the waves.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

The A4, despite being free, is one of the best modules in the game. The real price to entry? Learning to taxi using differential breaking, the toughest challenge in DCS. Also, as a bonus, you shoot shrikes and sidewinders when the plane goes WowowueiueuaeehhaheahehaehaHHAEHAEH instead of watching some idiot MFD.

The F5, conversely, can suck a dick. SU25 for life baby!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

A4 is very cool and a great module

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Looking forwards to this! Not voting as I haven't the slightest clue on things so leaving it to the smart folks.

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat

BurntCornMuffin posted:

F5

Su-25T

If we don’t have local air superiority, those 25ts are going to be scrap before they get to deliver their weapons. Even with regular pilots in them, they will be able to tie up the enemy, and waste their time and resources before they get to our squadrons. As a bonus, they can be used to deliver bombs and rockets if they’re not needed in their primary role.

I recommend Resolution Jaguar to give our strikers more cover, and give us defence in depth.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Welcome to Puerto Natales!

Puerto Natales is a small, sleepy town in the southernmost tip of Chile. Sat at the ruggest coast of the Southern Atlantic and cradled by fjords and mountains, you might forgiven if you thought you'd be in Iceland or the tip of Scandinavia.

It is now December 31, 2009. The climate in the Antarctic Summer is now pretty mild, although it can still regularly freeze. Normally right now, this little town would be teeming with tourists from all over the world who stop by on their quest to explore the magnificent beauty of the rugged and remote Magallenes. This year is different, though.

There is palpable tension in their. Geographically, you could hardly be any further away from the massive conflicts that have erupted this year. But in a globalized world and with supersonic airplanes, even this place is touched by what is increasingly feeling like another World War.

Tourism is not the only business in town. But this year's business season is attracting less than half of the typical volume of travellers. At the same time, everything is becoming more expensive. Fuel, gas, food, consumer goods of any kind, medicine, even services: all across the globe, less of it is available, and so it is becoming more expensive. In addition, if you want to have it in Puerto Natales, it needs to arrive across thousands of miles by boat, road, or air. So, not only are the products you buy expensive, the shipping is also more expensive. And what little product the stores manage to get here often arrives a little worse for wear. The average income of a Puerto Natales household might be 75% or 80% of what it was before 2009 (less if your family relies on tourism). But the cost-of-living, all in all, have roughly doubled. And even if you have the money, you will probably not get your favorite product, and what you get isn't often the quality you're used to.

But for now, you manage. Families that can't make ends meet can still rely on the government to fill the gaps. Kids can still play for free and go to school. You might eat not what you'd like to, but you're still eating. The TV and radio are still running (electricity is still being generated), and there are plenty of nice folk around to play games and music with, and to swap books, tools, and materials with that you might need.

But what when the Antarctic summer is over? When the last tourists also go? When it gets cold, the poor families will have to choose between eating and heating. And they know full well that when they don't eat, the cold sea air will rot their homes, eventually costing them more in the long run. For now, electric devices all run. Drug stores and doctor's offices are well stocked. But what when these devices break, and what when you break a bone in six months? Will you still get painkillers then, or will you need to wait months for them to be refilled? What if the road gets blocked, and shipping across the Atlantic is made too expensive and unsafe by rising tensions? Will your town die a slow death by a thousand cuts, when broken devices cannot be replaced and spare parts run out, when slowly people use their last money to flee North in search of employment and food, when the doctors finally tell you to gather herbs for your ailments?

You came here years ago to seek peace, to get away to a remote place where no one would make your life difficult. Now you're here and the world is still coming here to bother you. The problems have found you and the peaceful remoteness of this place make you feel stranded, all alone on an island in the ocean.

But right now, everything is good. You're with your family. There's a bottle of wine and you're cooking dinner. You couldn't get your kids' favorite ketchup at the store, and they didn't have any fries in stock. That's okay, you can make some your own. There'll be a movie on later tonight. Maybe share a glass with the neighbours once midnight rolls around. For the kids this time can just be a weird but ultimately harmless adventure. It might get worse. But for now, you can make this work.

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Sep 27, 2023

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Snapshot posted:

If we don’t have local air superiority, those 25ts are going to be scrap before they get to deliver their weapons. Even with regular pilots in them, they will be able to tie up the enemy, and waste their time and resources before they get to our squadrons. As a bonus, they can be used to deliver bombs and rockets if they’re not needed in their primary role.

I recommend Resolution Jaguar to give our strikers more cover, and give us defence in depth.

Maybe these AI Su-25T could be tasked in a manner to not Leroy Jenkins, and return to a holding point or base if in danger. We don't have a great track record on this, so point taken.

Despite this, I still say Su-25T.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Vahakyla posted:

Game master:

It will be the Su-25T(because it is free

Good thinking

quote:

also it is the same hull and humpback as the Su-25UBs in Peru).

Peru has humpback UBs as well as the beautiful standard SU-25 single seaters.

quote:

Some weapons limitations will apply to get it closer to Peruvian capability.

Good call, otherwise this campaign would just be AMRAAMs (F-16s), western PGMs (F-16s), and Vikhr vaporware 25Ts all day every day.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Stimperor, amazing newspaper work as always.

Steak and Arbitrary, your rundown for the A-4 and Mirage F1 are linked in OP, thanks!

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Prawned posted:

Facetracking with a basic webcam works really well, I did it for years. The delanclip is fairly cheap and a significant upgrade, and is what I had before the final transition to mega-dork-vr-haver.

The best thing about this campaign is no idiot f-18 hornet pilots trying to say that it, in any way, competes with the superior vipenation.

Hornet doesn't compete with vipenation, that's why we had to swap out for F-5s to come play with the vipes in the B-team plane lineup.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

FRAGO:

The Brazilian Air Force wants to keep their own CAP still in the sky. Uzi 7 will be a two-ship F-5 combat air patrol over the east coast of Santa Cruz Province, between Rio Gallegos and Puerto Santa Cruz.
We do not anticipate any Chinese initiatives due to the poor weather. These Combat Air Patrols have been up in the sky day and night without any engagement for the whole duration of the invasion now. Uzi 7 will not escort the C-130s but will operate around the same area.

Uzi 7 will carry 2x AIM-9 and a 150 gallon fuel tank, this will suffice for a 60 minute combat air patrol at 25,000 feet. While the weather is poor, it does not preclude sorties. Expect a standard departure, and a TACAN-radial patrol, with a TACAN approach back to Rio Gallegos.

F-5s at Rio Gallegos:

Sign-up for F-5s: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15Grz7yEp70GOFfjch3zD1mp2TpDStdapDdqNVTAOu6c/edit#gid=0

Meanwhile, the CLASSIFIED cargo has arrived from Tortel to El Calafate and is being loaded to the C-130s.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Sep 28, 2023

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
The F-5E

Once upon a time, the US decided that it should build a fighter that is good and maneuverable and lightweight and low cost and which can operate from a variety of airstrips and doesn't chug fuel and parts for breakfast. It had to be capable of gunfighting, carrying some air to air missiles, and also have some rudimentary ground attack capability in the form of unguided bombs, rockets, and guns. They didn't want some overweight maintenance queen whose primary job was to funnel sustainment money into the pockets of MIC CEOs and which relied on whizz-bang weapons instead of pilots. Instead, it needed to be affordable for smaller nations and run on a mix of grit and cheap weapons.

The initial version of this was the F-5A Freedom Fighter, which entered service in the 1960s and was tested extensively by the USAF and entered operations in the early 1960s. 10 years later, this concept was refined and upgraded with a radar, better missiles, more powerful engines, better aerodynamics, and other features to field the F-5E Tiger II.

Compared to contemporaries like the MiG-21, the F-5E didn't have as high a power to weight ratio, but had superior handling, superior visibility, a more intuitive workflow, and was easy to learn and fly. F-5s of various types served with dozens of countries, with thousands of F-5s made across all types, and over 1,300 F-5Es built. Several nations still fly them as combat forces today, and the USN, USMC and US contractors fly them as adversary aircraft for training. IRL, Brazil has some of the most advanced F-5s in the world, with years of dedicated upgrades. In DCS, we are limited to essentially a 1970s basic export model F-5E, so we lack some of those cool features or features other nations added in later years.

For the purpose of DCS and this campaign, a quick breakdown:

It is lightweight at just over 50% the weight of an F-16 and has features like a parachute and an extendable front nose strut to help generate lift on takeoff roll, and it can land on and get out of tiny little airfields that are impossible for a lot of other aircraft.

F-5E Weapons:
2x M39 revolver cannons. REVOLVER CANNONS. Sounds cool, doesn't it? It is. And they have little popups like an early Miata when you fire them.

Air to Air:
Radar: it's not great, but it will help you conduct intercepts, and once you lock a target, it displays a boresight of the radar vs your missile aim point. Put the target in the center of the radar scope, and fair chance you also get tone with your AIM-9 missiles and indicates when the target is in range.
RWR: For its time, it has a good radar warning receiver that helps both with awareness of threats and location/aspect of friendly aircraft. It is better than the MiG-21's RWR in every way.
Modes: If you flip one thumb switch, you are in dogfight mode. A great way to immediately cut the circuit to ground attack ordnance, change radar function, and let you get an AIM-9 off the rail in a pinch.
Missiles: Various AIM-9s ranging from so old and busted you shouldn't use them (B model) up to the AIM-9P5, which is a limited all-aspect AIM-9. You can shoot a MiG-21 in the face with the AIM-9P5, which they say is very unfair! The biggest difference between using heaters in an F-5 compared to using them in some modern lazy jet is that to use AIM-9s from a Tiger (or A-4), you need to do some pilot stuff to put the boresight on your target. You can't just snap a radar on and expect some computer nerd program to aim the missile seeker for you while you fly level and don't even have eyes on the target.

Air to Ground: I hope you prefer your weaponry unguided!
Rockets: Hydras and FFARs.
Low Drag Bombs: Various bombs from 500 pounders up to a 2,000 pounder. All iron, all unguided, all dependent on either Kentucky windage (bad habit but fun) or following flight parameters to release with consistency. No bombing computer.
High Drag Bombs: The F-5E can carry snakeye high drag bombs, which look cool and their release profile is basically "Fly low, Fly fast, Pound grass"
Cluster Bombs: It has some.
Illumination flares: Neat, but honestly the A-4s are usually doing this.
Edit It can carry up to 4x laser-guided bombs, but it requires an external laser source and there is no real guidance to the pilot on when they are in release area, so you still typically divebomb them in a bit to be safe. Way, way better than nothing, but it is not something F-5s can be tasked to do without external support.

Just get good at dropping bombs and you too can become a dive-bomb jerk who puts a couple big holes on enemy infrastructure.

You can also land the F-5E on aircraft carriers because DCS has realism limitations and sometimes you can take off from them if you are extremely particular on loadout and type of carrier

Want to read more words? Here's a cool account from a Soviet test pilot who got to fly a captured F-5E against the MiG-21 and MiG-23: https://theaviationgeekclub.com/sov...ery-engagement/

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Oct 7, 2023

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Do we have access to any intelligence on the armament the PLAAF J-7's are most likely to have readily available?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Mederlock posted:

Do we have access to any intelligence on the armament the PLAAF J-7's are most likely to have readily available?

Currently as it stands, the Chinese J-7Gs that are flying long patrols with extra fuel tanks, are equipped with PL-5 SARH missiles which are characterized by their somewhat of a short range, and they have PL-8 all aspect IR missiles. The J-7 is capable of carrying two of each type for a total of 4 missiles in full fuel loadout, but it is likely that not all sorties go out with four missiles.

Any PLAAF patrol originating from the Malvinas has to travel 300nm to get to the coast, and thus they will not fly without fuel tanks. There are a few aircraft that are at Ushuia, likely J-7s also, but these planes will also have to fly some 150 nautical miles to even get to the FLOT between Santa Cruz Province and Tierra del Fuego. This not only limits the number of aircraft the PLAAF can sortie, but also in what they can contest.

As far is known, only two J-11s are at Malvinas and are not likely to partake in anything else than immediate fleet defense currently.

As you can see, contesting either the Eastern Seaboard of Argentina, or the FLOT that currently roughly follows the Strait of Magellan, the J-7s are at their extreme combat range.

LIKELY PATROL ROUTE FROM MALVINAS

LIKELY PATROL FROM USHUIA

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Sep 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mederlock posted:

My heart says F-5, but it's lack of any radar guided medium to long ranged ordinance means they'll just get lit up by the PLAAF while being ineffectual at their role. Especially with the AI being the ones running them.

As such, I'll be N'thing the choice for the SU-25T. Especially if it's gonna be packing R-73's for self defense

Okay, I should've trusted my heart then! I change my vote to Resolution Jaguar to awaken the Tiger

:sun: