Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Prawned posted:

I'm going to have to buy a new nvme just for dcs maps and f-16 skins.

Its what i had to do.

If you’re on the fence about signing up for this just know that the A4 module and base game are completely free (you will need the map though $) and with just a joystick and cheap webcam airgoons can get you flying in an afternoon or two.

Startup and basic operations for the A4 are incredibly simple compared to much of DCS and there are also many helpful youtube guides.

That Works fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Sep 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Xakura posted:

We're not in kansas caucasus anymore

Edited!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I also think the Su25T is a better call

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Gonna be so much Shakira and Ricky Martin

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Voting Rabbit / Bravo.

Flying an A4 loaded with snakeyes on an armored convoy makes me have special feelings that can't be ignored.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Space Kablooey posted:

I would be grateful for a glossary section as well.

I also hope that a glossary gets added itt, it would be useful for many. In the meantime these might help for some things:

https://www.airgoons.com/w/Acronyms Common acronyms
https://www.airgoons.com/w/Brevity_Codes Commonly used radio brevity codes

Also on the mission briefs this will help make sense of some of the labels etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO_Joint_Military_Symbology

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Sounds a little like a Khe Sahn type situation developing

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Any desperate way we can score a tanker kill or two sounds like it would help a ton.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Bentai’s crew is so cool they wear sunglasses at night.

Good posts

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

COLT Flight Plan

Welcome, I'll be the Colt Flight lead (Colt 1-1 "Breaky") this week. We have a 3-ship element of FAP (Peruvian Air Force) Mig-29S fighters from the 612 squadron.

Our objective is a fighter sweep of AO Arrow hoping to build on the great feats of CO Karrick last week. Karrick is on mandatory rest after celebrating her 4 kills in a flight rather... enthusiastically. We eagerly await her return but in the meantime there are more invaders to kill! We will be based out of Puerto Natales (SCNT).

We will takeoff from SCNT and go straight out at a full burner 30 degree climb to 9000 m altitude. From there we will form up and cruise at 600 kph TAS to COLO (WP1 in the 29 ENR mode). Once on station we will either divert based on ABM vectors, or continue to BULL (WP2). We will fly E from BULL along the width of ARROW towards HURACAN and reverse course conserving fuel and maintaining altitude until vectored. We will return to SCNT (Mig 29 RTN mode 12) or if in fuel emergency, divert to SAWG - Rio Gallegos (RTN mode 4).

JOKER fuel: 1.5 on the gauge
BINGO fuel: 1.0 on the gauge

Loadout
R73 - R77 - R77 - Center Tank - R77 - R77 - R73 , 100% fuel, chaff/flare even load.

I encourage all our pilots to familiarize themselves with the autopilot functions and autopilot reset in the 29S as it is somewhat fussy. Likewise be sure to note the use of single vs continuous countermeasures dispensation. The 29S has a poor stock of countermeasures and using continuous mode can deplete them quite swiftly.

That Works fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Feb 3, 2024

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

COLT AAR

We had a fun stroll around the AO yesterday and it was an easy trip for my 1st combat lead.

Overall we flew onto waypoints as planned and kept decent formation. ABM let us know about a pair of J-11's but they never came to engage with us or Uzi.

Fun points were orbiting into close proximity with Uzi flight. We were surprised to hear Uzi's moderate disgust on comms when we relayed our altitude in meters not feet. Not sure what they are teaching them over in Brasil but hey they looked good flying, not as good as our Mig 29S but the F5 is a beautiful craft. Shame about the missile loadout though. The FAP wants all coalition members to know we have many airframes left and a large store of R77s (AMRAAM equivalent) so if you want to modernize we could stand to use a few more squadron mates.

What went well
- All flight members were great on comms and all instructions followed, good communication throughout the flight between the team.

What to improve
- Lead (me) should have notified Uzi flight we were descending below our cloud deck into their altitude range. We maintained visual with them but geezers flying old planes with few sensors get a little touchy, we understand.
- One flight member had some fuel issues, minor point as the Mig29 is not good for fuel consumption under the best conditions. This did not affect the mission in any meaningful way.

Advice would be to keep familiar with the nuances of the Mig29 autopilot and trim systems.

No stores expended, no airframes lost, no kills.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Fuerza Aérea del Perú, FAP Squadron 112

Chevy Flight Plan

Hola folks we are back again. Our 1st foray in this campaign several weeks ago was met with disaster as we were rapidly picked off by PLAF J-7s near the straight. We haven't had a lot to do while our older and better looking brothers in the 612 Mig29 squadron have had great success. Thanks to theirs and others efforts, we can now get back into the fight. Today after thinning out the PLAF forces we are going to assist Jedi and Rattler flight by knocking down some short range SAM threats so they can focus on the big SA-11 site down south. If conditions are favorable, we will also help knock out a CSS depot in the center of the BOLT AO to help slow down the PLA advance northward.

Mission
SEAD / Strike

Primary: Destroy HQ7 battery(ies) of the PLA 3rd ADA Battalion
Secondary: Destroy bunkers and targets of opportunity of the PLA 15th CSS Battalion

Know your enemy:

The HQ7 has ~10km range and an engagement altitude around 5500m and is a radar-assisted IR threat. Be sure to utilize both ECM and IR dazzler functions on the Su25T when approaching. We will keep at 6000m or greater altitude during most of our engagement profile to avoid this system as well as MANPAD threats in the area. We will utilize our Phantasmagoria pod to find illuminating HQ7 vehicles on the way in towards our CSS site, intel suggests they should we right along our flightpath and another group of them further to the E that we may engage if conditions are agreeable. We will use the Kh-25MPU ARM for these (range 25km). Chevy should try to only engage HQ7s from outside their ~10km range.

CSS Bunker structures are our highest priority for this site for a PGM strike. We will utilize TV guided Kab-500kg bombs. If bunkers are gone use on trucks and/or any other targets of opportunity in the area.

The plan:

We will take off and push to WP2 while climbing at full throttle to 6000m. Once at WP2 we will push to WP3 at 400kph (may change dependent on wind). Once at WP3 we will stay at 6000m and enter a L hand orbit until ABM calls MATADOR meaning that CAP is on station and we can proceed. We will push ahead of the F16 flight and engage HQ7 sites near Carpa (see below) on our way to WP6. We will destroy all HQ7 sites before proceeding to WP6. We will the continue to WP6 and use our Kab-500s to engage bunkers at the CSS site. Exfil will be to return to WP3 and depending on status continue to Puerto Natales or divert to Rio Gallegos if required.

If conditions are favorable we may push out 30 degrees NE heading from WP6 and engage other potential HQ7 sites near Searle but our focus will be on the central to W side of BOLT first.

Notes:

Use the return (RTN) mode, waypoint 12 for Puerto Natales or waypoint 4 for Rio Gallegos. Bingo fuel will be at 25% capacity, Joker at 15%. Fuel capacity should not be a factor for our flight. Familiarize yourself with the Kab-500 if you have not already as well as the... particular nuances of the Su-25T autopilot. Lead suggests you bind "Level" and "ATT hold" AP functions as well as AP disable. Remember to disengage AP before maneuvers or else your trim will be an issue, go to "Level" AP and reset trim once level and then disengage AP if you have issues.

We should be able to see the HQ7 sites coming but be on the lookout for launch trails. We should endeavor to stay at 6000m for most of the flight, or at least always above 4000m to avoid our biggest threat, MANPADs which we have little intel on in this area. We should utilize IR dazzlers and ECM pods at all times once at WP3 and beyond. We will have a pair of R73 infrared missiles if hostiles get through but our flight should divert due North or directly towards CAP if air threats engage us. Only engage if there is no other option.

Loadouts are in the mission card. Good luck.

That Works fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 16, 2024

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

COLT Flight Plan

Welcome, I'll be the Colt Flight lead (Colt 1-1 "Breaky") this week. We have a 2-ship element of FAP (Peruvian Air Force) Mig-29S fighters from the 612 squadron.

Our objective is a fighter sweep of AO Arrow hoping to bag as many J-11s as we can. We will be based out of Puerto Natales (SCNT).

We will takeoff from SCNT and go straight out at a full burner 30 degree climb to 9000 m altitude towards WP2 (FORK). From there we will form up and cruise at 600 kph TAS to PLATE (WP3 in the 29 ENR mode). We will then proceed to WP4 (HURACAN) but hold 50km short well out of naval SAM range and orbit there to await targets or ABM tasking. We will return to SCNT (Mig 29 RTN mode 12).

JOKER fuel: 1.5 on the gauge
BINGO fuel: 1.0 on the gauge

Loadout
R73 - R77 - R77 - Center Tank - R77 - R77 - R73 , 100% fuel, chaff/flare even load.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Colt AAR

Hola folks it's Chevy 1-1 filling in for my brother over in Colt 1-1. He's asked me to relay the report since he's still on his way back from outside Rio Gallegos after getting shot down. He called me about halfway through a bottle of rum with a pair of local taxi drivers that have been part of a massive civilian effort underway moving people out of the way of what seems to be an inevitable new invasion front. Thankfully he was very close to friendly controlled areas but on the parachute ride down got to see a lot of enemy action. According to him and Air command Colt did ok.

Overall we were tasked to BARCAP and we did where we engaged with a 2-ship element of Su-33's. We killed both but not before lead got shot down. Colt 1-2 and 1-3 spent the remainder of the flight working with Rattler 1 (Burntcornmuffin) who was invaluable for assisting with situational awareness and helping Colt 1-2 who was having radio difficulties.

What we did well:

I thought communication in-flight was good, situational awareness was within about what's expected for the tools we have to work with in the Mig-29 there.
Responsiveness by the pilots was great, we went into the engagement and got shot at first, leading to 2 and 3 successfully evading the missile shots and immediately re-engaging and finishing the flight off.
Colt 1-1 didn't get shot at first and was able to splash one Su-33 at the start of the engagement. 1-1 was then killed unawares due to a long range IR shot from the other Su-33 who went radar off but Colt 1-3 was able to immediately find and kill the target.

What we could improve:

Situational awareness could be better, that is partly due to limitations of the plane sensors and RWR systems, but as lead 1-1 completely lost the 2nd Su-33 and was killed by surprise, I should do better there.
Fuel management is always hard in the Mig29 but it did end up leading to the forced landing of 1-2 along a highway in the middle of nowhere.

Notes:
We presume that a fuel truck and engineer team are en route to establish if Colt 1-2 can be flown out of the area. At worst we should be able to salvage the R77s and R73s from the airframe along with other spare parts.

Overall having the assist from Rattler 1 helped a great deal. I suggested to flight command that if F16 airframes become more limited, we should consider a hybrid formation of 1 F16 along with multiple Mig29s. This would allow for very good synergy of using the advanced F16 sensors and datalink while allowing our forces to use our large stock of R77 BVR missiles to support our Aim120 armed counterparts. Likewise we could consider using Mig29s ahead and below of F16s with their radars off, allowing Mig29s to engage from below with longer range IR missiles. This could help take some pressure off of ABM and allow individual hybrid elements to work against J-11s who might engage with an Illuminating F16 first ignoring the Mig29s nearby. Lots of things to consider there, but as supplies start running low, there is particularly good synergy between the F16/Mig29 pairing to be used if wanted.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Mederlock posted:

General of the Combined Armies, CSAD

TF 'Lanza' Mission - Operation Aplasta al Topo 2 - Electric Boogaloo

HELO OPS MISSION AAR

Hola everyone it's Chevy 1-1 "Breaky" reporting in for another brother downed behind enemy lines. This has been a hard year, hard for my cousins in Argentina and Chile especially. Solidarity from Peru brothers, we are right next to you.

I was told that my brother (Dragones 1-1) was downed by an enemy SA-8 battery early in the mission. His CPG made it back to friendly lines, some 7km from where he was shot down. He could not confirm his pilots status, but could not confirm that he was dead. We hold out hope.

Our intel from him and surviving pilots is below:

Summary

As best we can put together, all flights arrived without incident to the front line above the southern ridge. Ford flight just minutes before had engaged several illuminating radar contacts. Communication and formation at ALL points within the flight was maintained and overall a high degree of situational awareness was maintained by all. Delfin was tasked with pathfinding and engaging early AAA, MANPAD, SHORAD targets with highest priority. Dragones was immediately behind them and further East, with the same priority. Orca was tasked to follow Dragones and drop troops just behind the friendly front and after laying a smokescreen. Bandido was to follow Delfin once all SHORAD was cleared and prosecute whatever ground vehicles they could handle.

Upon arrival to the front on top of the ridge, no SHORAD was found and only primarily tank columns. Visible on the S road from the ridgeline was a huge (50+ unit) convoy stretching across the horizon. This wide distribution of targets made it exceedingly difficult for user and AI sensors to find SHORAD units within a useful timeframe. After FORDs initial SEAD strikes (which were indeterminate) Dragones passed initial Tank only columns and pushed to the top of the southern ridge. As they did so a pair of enemy Mi-8's boldly pushed right through our lines. Dragones turned to engage the oblivious red Hips and 1-1 was immediately shot down by an undetected SA-8 missile launcher. Unfortunately no one was able to determine where the shot came from and shortly after Dragones 1-2 was shot down by the same launcher. Further interviews with mission crew may indicate a better target area, **OOC: There should be tons of visual recon on where this was now**.

From here things fell apart quickly. The loss of Dragones alone was bad but Delfin quickly met with incident when a precision strike of MBT launches of ATGMs towards our Gazelles was far more accurate at range than we ever expected. This immediately killed Delfin lead less than 2 minutes after Dragones. With most of our best sensors in disarray and our primary strikers down we decided to see if we could salvage anything from this action by one offensive foray by Bandito before withdrawing.

Shortly before this Orca flight, without fanfare or incident, completely fulfilled their mission, they dropped smoke at the front lines and laid down a full platoon (OOC: amount?) of anti-tank infantry, directly able to engage tank groups at the front behind a line of smoke. This was the lone bright spot of the mission, and we salute the professionalism of our Hip pilots, as always. However, Orca 1-2 Prawned was immediately "detained" after landing at base and bystanders have heard the term "blue on blue" mentioned in hush tones.

Bandito admirably charged in south of the ridge but was swiftly rebuffed by AAA fire from several parts of the convoy E-W along the highway. Two UH-1s were damaged and it was unclear if they made forced landings or were lost outright. At this point lead called everyone to abort mission and RTB. The remainder of the flight was performed in good formation and without incident.

In total, we lost: 2 Mi-24s, 2 UH-1's and 2 Gazelles. We destroyed: several blue units and possibly a few AK soldiers. We did deploy a full complement of anti-tank soldiers behind excellent cover.

The good:

- Unit coordination, communication and formations were excellent throughout. We wasted no time forming up and getting on mission. Radio discipline was great along with coordination.
- Flight lead decision making was good. Everyone properly initiated their mission in the right time and place.
- While unfruitful Bandido without reservation charged into a can't win attack run against an enemy convoy. While we did not achieve what we wanted, valuable intel was gained by the survivors.
- A large anti-tank infantry force was delivered directly to the front just in time to engage an enemy armored assault.
- FORD made multiple SEAD runs, and were only limited by the ordinance they carried.

The bad:

- Honestly, I think we got very unlucky right at the beginning, which more or less doomed the operation. One or two changes for the better might have pushed it the other way but even then difficulty was hard.
- Situational awareness by the lead (Dragones 1-1 / me, was poor. When I was hit with an SA-8 launch, myself and my crew should have at least been able to relay the heading from which it was fired. If we had relayed this info, or had it beforehand, it might have led to a much better outcome.
- While less likely, we could have salvaged the mission by immediately withdrawing at this point, allowing FORD to re-engage and Delfin to then identify and coordinate a strike on the SA-8 site.
- The ATGM threat against our helicopters was sorely underestimated by all planners, leads and pilots in this operation. We MUST better consider this threat in future helicopter operations.

Comments:

- I hope the SA-8 can be dealt with in an ARMA or part of a fixed wing OP. Given the crack anti-tank troops and the now realized position of the SA-8 radar and the minefield, this could be... fun.
- I think if the SA-8 had been better expected by lead then we might aborted if Ford did not get an Osa kill. If we had more intel, this might have gone a different way, especially if that allowed FORD a more direct attack path.
- Every lead did a good job and made this easy for me on my 1st mission lead. I think I did "OK" and pulled back our forces before it was a total loss, but I am sure there is room to improve given how little we accomplished today.
- Fuuuuuck this one was hard / sucked for everyone, glad everyone on had a good attitude and no one raged out. Better luck next time and thanks all for seeing it through.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Chevy Flight Plan

Hello! This week we will be backing up our F16 mission on SEAD and providing long-range strike support against any ships in the area and then other targets if possible.

Our loadout will be largely standoff TV guided missiles along with a pair of medium range ARMs. Full loadouts are in the mission card.

Mission
SEAD / Strike

Primary: Destroy any remaining SAM radars illuminating in the target area after the Vipers SEAD mission is completed.
Secondary: Destroy any large ships around the ferry terminal, and then any other targets of opportunity if conditions permit.

We will use the Kh-25MPU ARM for these (range 25km). Chevy should try to only engage any HQ7s from outside their ~10km range especially since we have learned of potential... updates to their capabilities.

The plan:

We will take off and push to WP2 while climbing at full throttle to 6000m. Once at WP2 we will orbit to the N and await completion of the initial SEAD wave by our F16s. As soon as they are Winchester, or confirm that no other radar targets are in the area, we will move to WP3 and SEAD if available, and otherwise hunt for targets of opportunity in the AO prioritizing naval vessels with our long range standoff missiles.

Notes:

Use the return (RTN) mode, waypoint 12 for Puerto Natales or waypoint 4 for Rio Gallegos. Bingo fuel will be at 25% capacity, Joker at 15%. Fuel capacity should not be a factor for our flight. Remember particular nuances of the Su-25T autopilot. Lead suggests you bind "Level" and "ATT hold" AP functions as well as AP disable. Remember to disengage AP before maneuvers or else your trim will be an issue, go to "Level" AP and reset trim once level and then disengage AP if you have issues.

That Works fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 12, 2024

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Chevy Flight Plan

Hello! This week we will be backing up our F16 mission on SEAD and providing long-range strike support against any ships in the area and then other targets if possible.

Our loadout will be largely standoff TV guided missiles along with a pair of medium range ARMs. Full loadouts are in the mission card. (OOC - may be subject to change before flight).

Mission
TASMO / SEAD

Primary: Destroy any ships / port and terminal infrastructure in Punta Arenas.
Secondary: SEAD if radar threats pop up during or prevent ingress to target area.

We will be primarily interested in T1 and T2 target points around Punta Arenas and looking to disrupt any shipping ongoing directly offshore and/or shipping infrastructure in the area.

The plan:

We will take off and push to WP2 while climbing at full throttle to 6000m. Once at WP2 we will orbit to the N and await completion of the initial SEAD wave by our F16s. As soon as they are Winchester, or confirm that no other radar targets are in the area, we will move to Punta Arenas. Chevy 1-1 (me) will prosecute targets of interest at T1 (WP3) and Chevy 1-2 will do the same at T2 (WP4).

Notes:

Use the return (RTN) mode, waypoint 12 for Puerto Natales or waypoint 4 for Rio Gallegos. Bingo fuel will be at 25% capacity (~1500L iirc), Joker at 15%. Fuel capacity will be tight and extended loitering will not be possible. Remember particular nuances of the Su-25T autopilot. Lead suggests you bind "Level" and "ATT hold" AP functions as well as AP disable. Remember to disengage AP before maneuvers or else your trim will be an issue, go to "Level" AP and reset trim once level and then disengage AP if you have issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

I will do some testing and change the drop table and attack plan a bit based on late-breaking guidance from air force command: "For the final portion, we should pop up. About 15 seconds before reaching target, split sideways and up."

So I will change this up before mission time to have some level of dive-table versus level bombing to account for bleeding energy and popping up to avoid AAA.

Nav plan will be the same, but likely loadout and attack profile need to be reworked.

We did an early run with a pop up and rocket attack that went well a few months back.