Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Lord Stimperor posted:

Which of the available planes is easiest to learn from zero to heroe in an evening or two, A4, SU25, or F16? F5?

I basically only know how to hornet or tomcat so i'm looking at something that's suitable for idiots

If you know the Hornet, then the F16 or F5 should be easy enough to transition to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
My heart says F-5, but it's lack of any radar guided medium to long ranged ordinance means they'll just get lit up by the PLAAF while being ineffectual at their role. Especially with the AI being the ones running them.

As such, I'll be N'thing the choice for the SU-25T. Especially if it's gonna be packing R-73's for self defense

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Do we have access to any intelligence on the armament the PLAAF J-7's are most likely to have readily available?

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mederlock posted:

My heart says F-5, but it's lack of any radar guided medium to long ranged ordinance means they'll just get lit up by the PLAAF while being ineffectual at their role. Especially with the AI being the ones running them.

As such, I'll be N'thing the choice for the SU-25T. Especially if it's gonna be packing R-73's for self defense

Okay, I should've trusted my heart then! I change my vote to Resolution Jaguar to awaken the Tiger

:sun:

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I would be open to trying out the ground* commander role, provided I'd still be allowed to fly in the actual DCS missions. :sweatdrop:

I do like the idea of having people weigh in with their takes and reasoning for choices relating to operation tempo and course of action for the big overarching decisions. Perhaps we could leave the supreme commander role to thread votes and seconded suggestions?

E: re-read the OP and re-wrote my answer

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Oct 1, 2023

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
As for my take on the next mission, I say we should proceed with Time of Action Rabbit, to accomplish Course of Action Alpha.

Given the geography around Franco Bianco, with the PLA units having the benefit of attacking out of the mountainous region south of it into what's essentially a flat plain to the Strait, and also having the benefit of a clear highway route to the front line, I think it would be an untenable position to hold. It would be far more advantageous to have that brigade perform an organized retreat across the strait, and blow the ferry terminal* there behind them, leaving the Strait as a natural moat on that axis.

As for Punta Arenas, the PLA forces have a long and complicated logistical tail on that axis, and their GLOC to the airbase there is along a highway on a long, exposed coastal plain. Attacking on this axis would also allow us to approach from the West, using the mountain range along the spine of the peninsula to evade detection and allow our older birds to get the drop on the PLAAF's fancier airframes. I think it plays to our strengths and denies them easy access to the mainland along the isthmus.

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Oct 1, 2023

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kaal posted:

In that case, I'd be happy to put on my commander's sombrero! «Irse a pique antes que rendir el pabellón!« Go down rather than surrender the flag - the Argentinian Navy motto

Come join the Airgoons Discord and join the Campaign chat there so we can all coordinate and discuss our strategy! :sun:

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mederlock posted:

Updated take on decision

Brigadier General Humberto of Argentine Army, Ejército Argentino, EA.

I'd like to start by thanking the intel folks and aides de camp working for and with Vahakyla, without their data and assessments we would be working totally blind out here. We have some hard decisions to make on the ground front in our two active AO's [Area of Operations]. As you can see from our BTOE [Base Table of Organization and Equipment, the breakdown of our ground forces and overall force structure], we're working with very limited resources against a determined, well-resourced, and organized foe. Given the state of affairs and the dire situation of our units on both axis', we need a good plan for our troops, and support from our Naval and Air forces. Upon further consideration of our position, I change my request for action to Time of Action Rabbit, AO Bravo. I'll explain my reasoning for that in my next post, but in lieu of a plan for air support for AO Alpha, let's start there.

AO Alpha [Punta Arenas axis] is a muddy swampland along the isthmus North of the airfield, and is essentially a mostly flat no-man's land until we hit some small rolling hills closer to Campo la Avena. There, Laguna Cabeza de Mur acts as a natural barrier, so we can use this feature to our advantage as a natural funnel to the West side of the isthmus. On the North-East side of the Isthmus, there are a few locations where it may be possible for light infantry and amphibious vehicles to cross some water channels near Laguna Verdana. We expect the PLAGF to push northwards from the West and East side of the Isthmus when they decide to advance, and we have to account for both directions. Let's take a look at our OB [Order of Battle, list of units in combat in a given area] and the topo maps for AO Alpha, along with my proposed orders for our units there.

The raised terrain in the middle of the isthmus presents some opportunities for us, as there are several smaller dirt tracks and scooped out terrain on higher ground that will let our artillery shoot and scoot with relative ease and cover the entire width of the isthmus with Fires. We'll have the 6th Armored "Dragones" positioned forward of the artillery to act as a screen and early warning, and their orders are to fall back to Campo la Avena after the first few volleys are traded with a PLAGF advance. The artillery will also fall back at this point, or if PLAGF counter-battery fire is too intense, and will set up a few km past Campo la Avena. The Recon platoon will take every effort to avoid combat, and will call in Fire missions for the artillery as needed. They'll post up around the dirt road heading to the NE of the isthmus, and will fall back as the PLAGF advances, eventually making a crossing at the small bridge at the outflow of Laguna Cabeza de Mar. Hopefully the PLAGF don't push this direction.. but if they do they will be harried by artillery called in by our brave recon platoon. The 25th Mech. Inf. "El Roble" will post up on the SW edge of the rise in elevation, and will slowly fall back to the elevation along the blue line as OPFOR pushes forward. Our Engineer coy. will spend this time building makeshift fortifications and fighting positions along the blue line. All units are to fall back to their designated fighting positions along the blue line with haste if the PLAGF moves in significant force along both axis', or if hostile CAS[Close Air Support] or IDF[InDirect Fires, ie. artillery/mortars] is too intense.

Does anybody have any feedback on this course of action for AO Alpha? Time is of the essence, so we need answers quickly so we can get orders out to our brave Chilean hermanos.

That brings us to AO Bravo...[continued in next post]

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 2, 2023

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

General of the Armies
Brigadier General Humberto of Argentine Army, Ejército Argentino

Let's turn our attention to AO Bravo and the difficulties we face there.

This is the best picture of the situation on the ground we have currently. There is one PLAGF Brigade confirmed to be advancing along Road Y-65 on the West side of the AO, and one Brigade approaching from the South along HWY 257, with potential for this group to also advance from the East along Road Y-79 or some other secondary branching roads near the center of our formation. We have 5 potential axis' that OPFOR can take advantage of, and we don't have the manpower to cover them all effectively. If the OPFOR brigade to the East can push over the two bridges over the Rio Oscar, their heavy armor will have no trouble pushing north along Y-65 and cutting off any chance of retreat across the strait/encircling the rest of the BLUFOR Brigade to the West. In the center of our formation along HWY 257, we have the advantage of rugged and funneling terrain that will aid the defending Regiments greatly. To the East along Y-79, it will take the PLAGF more time to advance on this axis, and we'll have our Recon element and helicopter wing keeping an eye on it in case OPFOR commits to this direction.

Operational Objectives for Ground Forces

We have identified 3 objectives our ground forces must address. The most pressing objective is delaying and attriting the PLAGF Brigade to the West on Y-65 and Y-655. To this end, I propose we have the Engineer corps drop the smaller bridge on the East/West Y-655 road over the Rio Oscar with the 24th Mechanized Infantry providing cover, and request that the Air Forces drop the larger bridge over the Y-65 using ground attack aircraft. The SPG artillery element will provide IDF support to this axis, with the Army UH-1H heli's calling fire missions to cover the bridge on Y-65 and the 24th Mech Inf. calling in fire missions on advancing forces on their road. It would be extremely impactful if the Air Forces could eliminate some of the mechanized units of the OPFOR brigade after they drop the bridge with their remaining munitions.

The secondary objective is to hold HWY 257, but this is where our ground forces are strongest and if all goes well, the PLAGF brigade on this axis will either hold off their assault or face stiff resistance from our heavy armor and mechanized infantry there. We only anticipate needing CAS on this axis if the PLAGF manages to break through our units here, or if the Air Forces have bombs to spare and find some easy targets.

The tertiary objective is keeping an eye on the Eastern approach along Y-79, as the artillery and our two Regiments covering the center of our formation will need to fall back to Cerro Sombrero and the Franco Bianco airbase if they utilize this route. If OPFOR takes this route, then tasking CAS to this Axis will be just as important as blocking them at Y-65. If we can get better intel on the exact positions and force makeup of PLAGF forces in this direction, we can better task our ground units to take up ambushing positions and engineered fortifications in the appropriate places.

Preparing for the worst

As favourable as it would be to maintain a foothold on Tierra del Fuego, we must prepare for the worst case scenario. If PLAGF punch through our defenses on Y-65 or elsewhere, we will have no other recourse than to retreat with haste to the Franco Bianco airport and the ferry terminal near Puerto Progreso, and utilize some combination of air lift and sea lift to evacuate our forces off the island. There are 3 or 4 civilian ferry's operated by Transbordadora Austral Broom servicing the Strait, but it's unclear how many were able to escape Punta Arenas. They are the The Fueguino, Yaghan, Melinka, and the Pionero. It seems 2 were berthed in Punta Arenas , with another 2 berthed at the Puerto Progreso crossing. I ask the Admiral of the Navy to evaluate the viability of utilizing these or other vessels if worst comes to worst. There may also be the possibility of using C-130's to get our troops out of Franco Bianco airbase, but that's outside my pay grade and I ask El Commandante to advise what our options are there. Ideally, we will not need to avail ourselves of these options, but they do also offer the possibility of being used to supply a future offensive so I wager these preparations may bear fruit in the future regardless.

Putting it out to the Floor

Does anybody have any feedback, alternative taskings for the ground forces, or new information that they would like to bring up or add? We don't have room to make mistakes or ignore blind spots, so now is the time to speak up. Our comrades on the ground need the best from us, so let's do just that. El Commandante, ultimately the success of our operations rest in your hands and it's my duty to deliver on your Intent. If you deem it necessary to change up the plan, just say the word and we'll make it so.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Space Kablooey posted:

What about a fighting retreat to Campo Cerro Manatiales? Lose some ground so we can at least have the PLAGF funneled in at the peninsula from one direction...

Unfortunately the terrain there is essentially flat, and if we did pull back prematurely, we'd be ceding the airfield without a fight, as well as letting the PLAGF consolidate their two brigades on a much smaller frontage. I thought about that too, but I feel using the hilly terrain south of the airbase to split up their two brigades and concentrate their columns into easier targets along the valleys keeps us in a stronger position.

Ultimately, if the fly boys can't do enough damage to the OPFOR brigades or we fail to drop the bridges, retreating to that position may be our last recourse regardless. As much as I'd like to emulate the example of the Dunkirk Evacuation, it appears we do not have the resources to extract our forces safely in a reasonable timeframe. Making the PLAGF bleed for every valley and hill before we fall back seems to me to be the wisest course of action

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

:discourse:

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

General of the Armies

Logistics and Supply

Brigadier General Humberto, EA here, we have some decisions to make in terms of keeping our brave soldiers on the front fed and flush with ammunition. I propose using the junction of HWY 255 and HWY 257 as the site for our main supply base at the divisional level for the Front, satellite footage indicates pre-existing civilian material laydowns and adequate areas for supply yards at this location. We will utilize the Norberto Fernández International Airport (SAWG) in Rio Gallagos as the primary airport to bring in supplies, and utilize civilian and military ground transport to shuttle materiel to the Supply Base provisionally dubbed "Bag of Holding". We will utilize the dirt aerodrome SCTH Tres Chorillos(https://metar-taf.com/airport/SCTH-tres-chorrillos-airport#runways) for rotary wing logistics support towards our Western flank, and I ask our aviation experts to evaluate the possibility of using C-130's out of this aerodrome if runway conditions and length allows. The paved roads between Rio Gallagos and Punta Arenas allow for travel at highway speeds, and the positioning at the highway junction allows limited supplies such as food and ammunition to be ferried across the Strait using any civilian ferry's still available. E: We will also task rotary wing flights to deliver supplies from SB "Bag of Holding" to Franco Bianco.

I present the proposed plan, and recent satellite footage of the proposed location for Supply Base "Bag of Holding"

Feedback

Time is short, we have less than a day to settle on a plan for the logistics for ground operations in the near term. If anyone has any feedback or wants to illuminate any opportunities missed or blindspots ignored, :justpost:

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Oct 3, 2023

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mederlock posted:

Logistics and Supply

General of the Combined Armies, SCAD

Buenas tardes camaradas, after deliberation with my peers in command and our command staff, I have decided to proceed with the orders to establish our logistics base and supply routes as per my last report. The viability for SCTH Tres Chorillos to host C-130's has been deemed insufficient, but it will still serve as an important forward base for our rotary wing aircraft, smaller supply and patrol aircraft such as the AN-2, and emergency aerial cargo drops by C-130's to support the Western axis

Requisitions for specialized munitions
I'm having my aide de camp and staff evaluate options to source lightweight SHORAD such as Igla and Stinger MANPADS and ATGM systems such as the TOW missile system on an expedited basis from our allies in the SCAD. It would be ideal if we could get our first shipment of these systems landing in Rio Gallagos and out to Supply Base "Bolsa de Tenencia" before Operation Rabbit Bravo to be dispersed among our Brigades at the front, but given the timelines and pilots available, we may have to accept delays and fight without any GBAD. I've also sent some requests to our American partners at USSOUTHCOM to evaluate expediting approval, shipment, and training of Chilean Regiments on the Avenger SHORAD system borne by Humvees, given the Chilean government's sage foresight in requesting these systems a few months ago. [Off the Record: given the lack of direct support from our partners to the North so far, I'm not pinning too much faith on these coming through anytime soon. While I think those systems would serve US interests better defending their southern flank, the US government may deem them better kept for some National Guard unit in Iowa or something.]

Seamos libres, que lo demás no importa nada!

Brigadier General Humberto, EA

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Vahakyla posted:

Aight, wakey wakey.
----
It's the morning of 13th February, at 0830. This will now start a new day and you can give a new round of orders. This day of 13th will probably run until friday or so. We'll do the 14th over the weekend, and monday starts the super early morning of 15th, the day of the operation that will be then played on saturday the 14th October, so we have the whole week to hash out the air operation itself in real time.

---------
General of the Armies Humberto, EA

Enemy J-7s bombed your troops with no success along highway 257 near the FLOT early morning.
In addition there are several Mi-8 gunships flying around the front now.

General of the Combined Armies, CSAD

Local Air Defense

Buen dia amigos, you brave souls on the front are doing well to hold the line under the spectre of enemy attack from the air. I regretfully inform you all that we do not have additional GBAD units to spare at present, but you must trust that we are taking every measure to expedite their transfer to the front! In better news, our friends to the North plan on sending us some AA systems soon, but for now all we can do is hold the line and optimally place your organic SHORAD units to blunt the PLAAF's most brazen strikes. We'll put each limited system you have available in the locations best suited to them. Please refer to the following map for the suggested locations, but Grl de Brigada Lago[IRL commander of this unit at this time], I leave the rest to you.

e: ADDENDUM : I forgot to mention the taskings for our remaining Chilean Chaparral's on the front. We'll have the 3 we have left reposition to SB "Bolsa de Tenencia" and take up defensive positions there.

Theatre level SAM Battery decisions

El Supremo Comandante Carlos Negostrike, I have been deliberating with my command staff, and we have 3 proposals for the placement of our available SAM batteries. While I have my opinion on what course of action is best, I leave the final decision in your capable hands. The larger ring indicates the maximum (optimistic) radar detection range, and the smaller ring indicates 25km, the likely maximum (and probably optimistic) horizontal range of the missiles themselves.

The first option, dubbed Castor Juguetón, positions our SAM batteries close to the FLOT [Front Line Of Troops] , and provides good radar coverage over the Strait. This positioning also provides SAM coverage for SB "Bolsa de Tenencia" and a potential rotary wing FARP location at SCTH Tres Chorrillos. This option covers our front logistics and forward troops best, but leaves gaping holes in our AA coverage at SAWG AB in Rio Gallagos. Losing the airbase there to a PLAAF airstrike would be ruinous for our capacity to wage war on the front, and thus I do not recommend this option.

The second proposal we have for you this morning is Felino Equilibrado, which positions the NASAMS battery near Rio Gallagos on Cerro Redondo, a prominent hill close to the town, and has the NASAMS battery on the Puerto Natales side of the theatre advance to the ridgelines north of the Punta Arenas isthmus. This layout balances the protection of Rio Gallagos's port and airbase, while still providing some radar coverage over the Strait and provides SAM protection for our troops holding the Punta Arenas line and SCTH Tres Chorrillos. While it leaves SB "Bolsa de Tenencia" vulnerable for now, we can task some of our future SAM systems such as the Avengers or M-163's to protect it once they land in theatre from the USA. This is the positioning I recommend we adopt.

The last option, Caparazón de Tortuga, has us keep the Rio Gallagos battery on Cerro Redondo, and pulls the battery to the west back to cover the airbases Puerto Natales and Rio Turbio directly. This option ensures the PLAAF's won't be able to make an unopposed strike at either of our primary airbases, but leaves our brave women and men holding the front completely unprotected. While I'm sure the ground crews at Puerto Natales would appreciate the cover, I don't think the juice is worth the squeeze with this choice and recommend against it.

General Humberto, EA

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Oct 5, 2023

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Just dropping in to say this rocks to read.

Wish I could fly but I def don’t have the time or space at the moment. Got a private pilots license last year as a bucket list thing and it poisoned any plane games fancier than Star Fox without a nice setup. It’s like m+kb GTAx1000.

You don't need a full sim pit to enjoy flight sims, I get a *lot* of mileage out of a 10 year old setup consisting of a TrackIR, X52 pro, saitek rudder pedals, and I do have a Logitech yoke+quadrant too but that's not required. It's all stuff that can fit in one medium-large storage tub. You can buy older gear used too, it's not too crazy to get into if you're careful with your purchases.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Lord Stimperor posted:

Oh poo poo, oh gently caress.

:five:

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Vahakyla posted:

--------------------------------

Brigadier General Humberto,

Your logistics base is still being set up. it is already assisting your troops, and received its SAM coverage from the Rolands, but you currently have a problem of only having one RORO-ferry meant for civilian traffic at the strait, at Punta Delgada.

Fierce fighting on Highway Y-65 has been challenging and you've lost several miles of ground, including the vital intersection at Y-655 and Y-65. Your artillery unit is very low on howitzer ammo and the Mi-8s are a giant headache. The other lines hold.

--------------------------------------------------------

Logistics difficulties - Artillery

Buenos días gentilgoones, as you just heard from our Operations staff the situation at the front remains dire, and is worsening by the hour. The logistics situation for our M109 Paladin artillery is deteriorating, as they are going through ammunition and spare parts at a frightful rate to help Alpha Regiment hold the line on Y-65. As you may know, firing artillery at rates exceeding the manufacturers recommendations puts a great toll on the hardware, but is unavoidable when the alternative is PLAGF penetrating our defensive lines. Poor conditions delaying ferry transits across the Strait have been compounded by some slip-ups by the logistics officers at SB Bolsa de Tenencia(understandable given they've only just barely established the base there) in arranging for the proper ratio of food:parts:water:ammunition:fuel deliveries. This has meant the artillery are short of the right fuses for the shells and some critical field repair parts to be able to maintain their fires at the needed rates.

This is where the AF might come in to help solve the problem. Air Combat Command Commander, General Schulz I hereby request 2x to 4x C-130 flights into Franco Bianco, to deliver the necessary shell fuses, parts, and if you can spare the extra flights, special ammunition types such as cluster bomb shells to keep the artillery replenished. This will be a dangerous and difficult task, and will certainly draw the attention of the PLAAF birds in the area. It probably makes the most sense to undertake these deliveries on the 15th when our CAS units are already in the AO with friendly CAP, as the PLAGF will have their attention focused on the CAS flights rocking their brigade to the West, but I understand this mission may be too risky to undertake. That being said, I cannot underscore how critical the artillery is to maintaining a strong defensive on Tierra del Fuego. I leave this matter with you and El Commandante.

Soliciting Recommendations and Analysis for the Front

The critical junction of Y-65 and Y-655 has fallen into PLAGF hands, and our troops are currently skirmishing over control of the bridges over the Rio Oscar. As we identified before, a successful defense of our last remaining foothold on Tierra del Fuego relies on halting the advance on the Western flank of the island along the highways, or else they can make a run for the northern point and cut off our last remaining LOC[Line Of Communication, term for both the actual lines of communication and the logistics lines for the troops] to the mainland. As things stand currently, we're possbily going to lose control over both bridges before we can get CAS support from our amigas and amigos in the air.

This developing situation requires us to rob Peter to pay Paul, so to speak. The PLA have imposed a dilemma upon us, and we need to put forward the best possible plan to choose the least-worst scenario. I need all of you in this War Room [That's all of you reading this thread] to put your heads together and come up with the best possible arrangement and taskings for our units on the front. Here's the picture on the front as things stand now

We have 3 large concentrations of combat units on the front, the Tank Regiment Bravo, and the Mechanized Infantry Regiments Alpha and Charlie. Currently Bravo and Charlie Regiments are holding the PLAGF Brigade[~3 combat regiments] to the South on HWY 257, and Alpha regiment is holding off an entire brigade[another 3 combat regiments] along Highway Y-65 and Y-655. Alpha is in mostly open terrain, and Bravo and Charlie are defending a more mountainous area. This is where I put it out to all of you. How would you have us position our troops, and what orders should they be given? Any analysis on the likely trajectory as things stand, or how things may change with a different approach? I'll leave you with a closer picture of the Y-65 axis, and a preliminary order to Alpha Rgt. to hold the region behind the bridges at all costs. [Time is of the essence, so :justpost: your thoughts, no matter how much or how little experience you may have with strategy] The command officers will deliberate on everyone's feedback, and present our final battle plans soon [in a few days as per GM's post]

General Humberto, EA

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The Argentinian brigade will most likely be using TAM medium tanks and/or SK-105 Kürassier Light tanks

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Leopard 1? Seen fairly equivalent, same gun and similar specs

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Hippocrass posted:

Is the tank regiment ABSOLUTELY needed in the south? I'm mostly a WW2 gamer and that looks like mighty close terrain for tanks. It looks like Charlie should be sufficient to me, but I'm not familiar with modern military needs. Alpha is trying to defend two axis' of attack with only engineers for company, and that looks like good tank country. At least better than their current position.

My gut feeling is that you're right about moving the tank regiment over to the Y-65 line. Moreso because the mechanized infantry will likely fail at holding without their assistance, especially with the artillery being temporarily out of action and unable to support them. Does anybody else have feedback on that move before I draw up a final plan?

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mederlock posted:

Logistics difficulties - Artillery

Soliciting Recommendations and Analysis for the Front

Operación Comida Rápida

General Scholz, the troops on the ground are already singing their praise for the support being promised them by the aviators! With you and your pilot's timely assistance, the guns will be kept combat-effective and able to support our defensive. As paltry as it is, we will task one of our Gepards back to Franco Bianco to try to at least keep hostile gun runs off of our C-130's while they're at their most vulnerable: while the supplies are being offloaded. I hereby order the Gepard on HWY 257 to stay in place for now, but at 22:00 Feb 14, they are to displace and redeploy at the Franco Bianco Airport in time to cover the C-130's. The organic SHORAD elements of the 35th Mech will stay with them.

Operación Muro de Hierro

I would like to thank Tevery Best, Hippocrass, and Admiral Sampaio [Kaal] for their valued input, their feedback confirmed what I already had in mind for a re-shuffle in the disposition of our ground forces on the front. I hereby order the 11th Tank Regiment to immediately pull back from HWY 257, and redeploy to the Y-65 axis as fast as they can, this 30 Km trip down dirt roads should not take them much time. While I recognize this will put the 35th Mech Regiment in a dangerous position, they do have the advantage of very favourable terrain to support their defensive of the highway, and even if they get pushed back the terrain behind them is still favourable. The 24th Mech Regiment does not have this luxury on the Y-65 line, and their defeat would lead to the collapse of our effort on Tierra del Fuego.

Once they arrive on the evening of the 13th, they are to coordinate and prepare with the 24th Mech and the Mechanized Engineers Battalion for a hard day of fighting on the 14th. The mechanized infantry and engineers are to be tasked with blowing the bridge over Y-655. The artillery are to prioritize their limited remaining time and guns to using smoke munitions on the other side of the bridge to provide cover to the engineers while they work, and the importance of the use of smoke grenades and mortars will be impressed on the Infantry during this operation. We do recognize the possibility that this effort may render the engineers combat ineffective for some time due to casualties, but these heroes understand the importance of halting the PLA advance. If it becomes apparent that blowing the bridge will not be feasible, the engineers are to deploy all of their available anti-tank and anti-personnel mines on the bridge and along the road as they retreat, and the mechanized infantry are to take up positions overlooking the bridge and try to fire on any advances over it.

While the Infantry and Engineers do their work, the 11th Tank Regiment will take up hull-down positions and/or utilize the groundworks around the nearby O&G pads overlooking the bridge on the Y-65 HWY, and use the bridge to funnel and punish the PLAGF advance. While their infantry may be able to cross the Rio Oscar in some areas, their armor will have to push across this narrow chokepoint and line up in neat columns, and thus present a vulnerable formation for our tanks to fire on. Priority will be put on taking out the front and rear tanks in any column that tries to cross the bridge, and if we're lucky we may be able to choke the bridge with the burning wreckage of Type 99's.

The Gepard is to be posted with the Infantry, and the RBS-70 units are to be placed in the fields between the highways to provide cover to our units near both bridges. See the attached map for the operation as described

CAS Priorities

The Primary CAS objective in the AO is taking out the bridge over Y-65. The ground forces will attempt to blow the bridge at Y-655, but if they fail, that bridge will also be a Primary target. The Secondary CAS priority is taking out any heavy armor pushing along Y-65, or if HWY 257 is being pushed during the operation, then these forces are also pinned at Secondary priority. The Tertiary CAS priority is hitting the traffic jam of supply vehicles on Y-65. These are the priorities as the ground forces see it. I leave the actual air taskings to the experts in the Air Forces.

Edit: Addendum, I would also like to have one of the Rolands move to the Ferry terminal at Punta Delgada.

General Humberto, EA

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Oct 10, 2023

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Vahakyla posted:

--------------------------------

Brigadier General Humberto,

Your logistics base is safe. It wasn't bombed. Neither was your RORO-Ferry nor the terminals, but it is obvious some MiGs got close! The SAMs, as requested, are deployed there and you probably saw them shoot at MiGs during the gameday. The logistics base now receives constant trucks from further north, but it does also need resupply of communications and medical equipment. Please figure out replenishing those urgently.

The Argentine Army held its line, and even initiated some pushes at Tierra del Fuego. The PLAGF lines immediately gave in along highway Y-79 as the Armored Cav and Military Intelligence recon troops prodded enemy lines. The scouts report to you that they believe they could be near a potential deeper push. Your Military Intelligence Unit reports the POWs are from PLAN Marine Infantry.

The bridges, as you requested, are destroyed. The forward supply convoy is also degraded. This side of the AO will hold for several days easily now as you dig in along the river Rio Oscar. One of the Argentine battalions, Mech Inf Rgt 24, 11th Mech BDE, suffered heavy losses, but is still operational. It got beaten during bridge defence before the F-16s bombed the bridge.

Tierra Del Fuego AO

I'd like to start by commending the heroic actions of the ARA 11th Brigade for their bravey and sacrifice in holding the line at Tierra del Fuego. Despite dire odds, the troops held out long enough for our compadres in the air forces to drop the bridges and disrupt enemy supply lines, and thus give them some relief from a week of extremely hard fighting. I'd like to give our troops in the 24th Infantry Regiment a well-earned rest. They are to fall back to the Brigade supply depot at Franco Bianco airport and catch a days R&R. I'd also like to have the top brass evaluate having in some replacement personnel flown in to Rio Gallagos from the mobilization efforts to replenish this regiment on an urgent priority basis before our next air ops day, and have them come in via the RORO ferry or via UH-1H to fill-in the absences left by our fallen brothers.

Once they've had their brief reprieve, they are to advance to the positions that our daring recon and MI units managed to push along, and help them continue in their probing actions in that direction. I don't want them to overcommit however, but only continue their recon by fire until they strain their own supply train or face a large enemy effort. The gepard at Franco Bianco is to move with the infantry regiment to take the heat off from the MI-8's.

The other infantry regiment is to continue digging in on HWY 257, and prepare sandbag fortifications, fox holes, barbed wire, and other field entrenchments to harden themselves against the inevitable push from the PLAGF.

The tank regiment is to coordinate with the mechanized engineers to develop suitable hull-down firing positions on each bridge. The freshly re-supplied artillery unit is hereby ordered to advance near the tank regiment, and bring to bear withering fire on the PLAGF supply base and the backed up supply lines. Once a Huey or a spotting drone has confirmed widespread destruction by the artillery, they are to then focus their efforts on the remaining PLAGF armored units on the other side of the bridge.

If anyone has any feedback or out of the box ideas for the Tierra del Fuego axis, I'd love to hear it. Next, we turn our attention to the Punta Arenas axis... [Supply and recon requests, logistics, and the response to the situation on the Punta Arenas AO in next post later today]

General Humberto, EA

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 16, 2023

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Punta Arenas AO

Ladies and gentlegoons, it's time to bring our focus to the Punta Arenas axis.. as you can tell from the report from the Chilean Brigade commander on the front, the situation is dire. With three PLA brigades attacking our one understrength unit, I'm going to give my frank assessment. Without extra boots on the ground on this axis, and pardon my french here, we are hosed. The enemy is preparing a flank with engineering assets and a full brigade, and are using the other two brigades to push our small Chilean unit back. As such, I'm hereby ordering a slow fighting retreat, using the bodies of water in this area to canalize and restrict the PLAGF's freedom of movement. With this canalizing effect, this should bring their units into more dense formations, where our artillery unit can let loose and give 'em hell. The recon unit is to take an artillery FO with them, and loop around to take an overwatch position over the Laguna Verdana approach. If the PLA bring forward their bridge-laying units, the artillery is to bring all of their guns to bear on them when they're at their most vulnerable. Otherwise, they are to divide their attention helping out the infantry and armor. Here are the positions the brigade is to take

Hostile Artillery Interdicting our Supply

Onto our next dire situation, the PLAGF got wise to our supply routes and has tasked artillery to blow up our logistics vic's supporting the Chilean brigade. Obviously we can't keep using this route for the time being.

For now, we're going to have to take a detour for our supply route. This route is also adequate to move troops around.

As you may guess, this route *is* longer; Instead of an hour at highway speeds, it's a 3 hour trip on gravel roads. Until we can have something done about it, we're just going to have to live with the consequences. I'm going to task my HQ staff to investigate broadening our logistics network in the future, so we're not as vulnerable to this form of interdiction.

Now, onto my requests for our supreme commander, the navy, the AF, and our aerial logistics officers
[Post to follow]

General Humberto, EA

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Decisions

Supremo Commandante, the valiant Chilean 4th BDE is facing destruction while holding one of our most critical pieces of defensive narrowing terrain, the network of laguna's along the north edge of the Punta Arenas isthmus. If they break past this, we will have no way to stem rapid advances by the PLAGF into the heart of the mainland via the network of dirt roads that crisscrosses north of HWY 255. I thus request the immediate tasking of the freshly arrived Argentinian 9th Mechanized Brigade to make full speed to support the Punta Arenas axis along the alternative supply route once they've received their supplies at Bolsa de Tenancia. They should be able to cover that distance in 2-4 hours at top speed. Without them, I am going to have to order the Chilean Brigade to continue retreating north towards Puerto Natales, and the Argentinian 9th BDE will have to stop them along Ruta 255 under artillery fire from Cabo Negro.

General Scholz and Admiral Sampaio, I have provided a crude sketch over the latest satellite imagery indicating some potential strike/reconnaissance targets for your forces. Please see it below:

Points Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, and Delta are deemed of highest priority. Alpha indicates the artillery unit that is interdicting our supply lines near Cabo Negro, we need them taken out or supressed long enough to move our own counterbattery units into place to keep them suppressed. Bravo indicates the naval port of Punta Arenas, which is likely the main ingress for supplies for the three brigades pushing to the north. If we can sever their logistics chain, their armored advance will grind to a halt as fuel and ammunition gets sparse, buying us enough time to deploy more forces. Charlie indicates the supply base and logistics chain beyond the blown bridges on Tierra Del Fuego. The base itself didn't seem to take much fire, and would deal a further delay to the PLA's abilities to bring their bridge laying forces forward here. Delta indicates the likely supply lines from Punta arenas to the PLA front line. If we can hit the soft skinned supply convoys feeding their advance, we can hopefully blunt the full force of their units. It also references the brigade moving northeast, if we can blow up their specialized bridge laying engineering vehicles, we can slow the potential for a breakthrough here. The rest of the points indicate more challenging and longer-term strategic aims, such as cutting off the naval supply to Punta Arenas entirely, eliminating the PLAAF/PLAN airbase across the Strait from Porvenir, and the stalled PLAGF BDE on HWY 257. Points Alpha and Delta take precedence over the rest, from the Army's perspective. The rest I leave with you.

[Logistics/civilian air logistics requests to follow shortly]

General Humberto, EA

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Oct 18, 2023

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

mlmp08 posted:

I'm just a Brazilian fighter pilot who can do some napkin math, attended some maneuver courses, and has flown over that patch of water (and got an uncomfortably close look at the water when jogging to a rescue point after I got shot down). It's Chile's problem to figure out that political fallout of losing the last small piece of Tierra del Fuego they still hold, but it seems like a much easier one than politically messaging why they would just sacrifice their troops, fighting against a numerically superior force, while having to sustain those troops across a very fragile sea and air bridge. The total population of Cerro Sombrero was less than a thousand petro field workers, and they've left by now.

If China takes the hills or even establishes footholds within the hills, they can just destroy reinforcements from Chile or Argentina in detail, even if they don't cut off the supply lines entirely.

This is the single operational "seaport" for supplying the troops on TdF.

Meanwhile, China has captured Cabo Negro and the associated peninsula only 50-55 kilometers away, which gives them a clean line of sight at the ferry routes and can threaten the Strait of Magellan anyway. What is key terrain about holding TdF?

You do raise some good points, mlmp08. With the current forces we have, a continued defense of TDF is ultimately a futile waste of life and equipment. However, we are expecting 1-2 divisions worth of units to be mobilizing to the front line shortly.

Vahakyla posted:

You have multiple divisions at your disposal, as you can see. Currently they are being mobilized and re-organized and it will take a while to call up reservists. The mobilization started already weeks ago, but it's going at the speed of molasses. The first fully functional division you can expect to the south is the 5th Division of Punta Arenas from Chilean Army, and the 3rd Army Division of Bahia Blanca from the Argentine Army. We estimate this to be around 16-17th February 2010.

With this in mind, I think we need to be looking at the geography in the theatre, and identifying the most defensible terrain we can hold and occupy. If we can hold the lines where they are and get another brigade or two onto TDF in the coming days, we may have a fighting chance of securing a proper foothold here for a future counteroffensive, when the full weight of our armed forces can be brought to bear. If we lose the island, realistically I don't see a path forward to retaking it, even later. Their supply line to the Malvinas is just too direct and protected by modern and deadly naval vessels that we don't have an answer too.

Some caveats hold here, which comes back to your point. If we can't increase the amount of meaningful sealift and airlift to TDF, then attempting to hold out is likely futile. If we can't hold the line long enough for the divisions to mobilize to the front, then we're going to have our largest concentration of troops on the front pushed into the sea and decimated.

I would appreciate everyone else's take on this situation too, especially after the results of the air tasking tomorrow come in. :justpost:

General Humberto, EA

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Sadenisa posted:

I understand the Operation Overture is going to be an OP regardless of what I say, and I know it was covered by the post suggesting the plan, but I have a feeling that if that spec ops team takes that radar it's going to be bombed a lot sooner than a "day or two". Either from one of those frigates or a flight of the remaining J7s. Hope we aren't trading those special troops for nothing : (

We've actually done really well in the fjords with the Navy there. Between the PLAAF J-7's(Mig-21's) getting pretty heavily attrited during the package today, and our Navy doing so well with clearing the PLA landing ships and their Anti-ship missile battery, we may be in a position to hold the Radar for a little while. At the very least, we'll get some useful intel from it, and we can demo it as the SOF pulls back to the Navy if the worst happens. Denying it's use from the PLA is really the most important part. If we can't capture it, we should at least blow it up.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
General Humberto here

Sadenisa posted:

Regardless, now that the Western front has effectively collapsed, I don't see how the Tierra Del Fuego bulge is going to be able to hold out long term. That wide open space past the corridor is not going to be held by two brigades. The logistical line there is already thin-pressure from the other side combined with the fact that thousands of men and their equipment have to cross on a single ferry, or maybe some other craft tells me that we should pull back from that angle like, NOW. Because if we wait until they're bearing down on that ferry point on the northern side of the crossing, it'll be far too late.

Edit: We're actually lucky that some damage was done to that amphibious crossing. If they had come off unmolested, they could've come down the highway and rush East without much ado.

Unfortunately, given the turn of events, I fear your assessment is on the mark. The problem is, that RORO ferry does not have the capacity to move the armored brigade across the strait in a timely manner, no way no how. It can maybe move 10-12 armored vehicles at a time, every ~2-3 hours. We have something on the order of 250 armored vehicles, plus all of their support vehicles and supply units. If we pull back to the ferry for an attempted crossing, you can bet the PLA ground forces will rush forward as we fall back. So unless we sacrifice one regiment of the brigade to hold the line on HWY 257 while the other two attempt to escape(and hope the downed bridges delay the second PLA brigade to the West Long enough), we're not getting them off the island, at least with their armored vehicles.

Does anyone have ideas for getting this brigade off Tierra Del Fuego? Does anyone think we should try and hold out there as long as they can, possibly until they have to surrender? Do we have them abandon the armor, and at least get the manpower and limited specialized vehicles across the strait? Any out of the box ideas?

[OOC: if you do some googling and can find details of some shipping vessels that would be nearby, or more ferries north of here within a day or three's travel that would've been there around 2010, or some other logistics assets or approaches we're overlooking, then post it! If the GM thinks it congruent with the setting and reasonable, he's likely to let it happen]

Hippocrass posted:

How soon can they get to the Punta Arenas CZ?

By road... It's ~2300km to Bolsa de Tenancia(south of Rio Galagos). And armored vehicles can't just drive that distance on the roads, or they'd wear themselves out, they need to be loaded on heavy haul trailers(common for use in carrying heavy construction equipment around, so they're available) and brought as close as practicable and unloaded. Or they could be transported by rail... But the railways were left to rot and were privatized, so we have limited options there. The furthest south our rail network reaches on the East coast is the deep water port terminal near the town of San Antonio Oeste along the General Roca Railway line, which does shave 800 km of road travel off near congested highways close to Buenos Aires, but the remaining 1500km to Rio Gallagos will have to be made by either heavy haul truck, or heavy sealift.

Tl;dr, I don't see them getting here for another 4 days at least, unless I'm way off the mark. I am open to feedback and suggestions here.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Hippocrass posted:

I'm presuming naval transport is not in the cards either?

It looks like the Chinese might want to avoid Southern Chile given the terrain, so we may have to consider a better fallback position in central Argentina until we can get more troops mobilized? One division against an unknown number of enemy formations? Can anyone game out China's logistics issues moving up from Punta Arenas?

It *could* be, but naval transport via civilian vessels is pretty slow. Something like 30-40 km/hr. Whereas the semi trucks can push down the highway from the rail terminal at ~100km an hour.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

M_Gargantua posted:

I finally have enough time between work to follow the thread.

I can answer questions about submarines and ASW and ISR but there are better people for any other questions.

How caught up are you on the current situation?

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mobilization

The Argentinian I Brigade is to be loaded onto heavy haul trucks, as many as the military logistics can manage, with the rest supplemented with civilian heavy haul trailers meant for heavy construction equipment. Given the proximity to the capital and major population centers, enough commercial/industrial trucks should be able to be contracted and mobilized for a mass convoy to Rio Gallagos down Highway 3. Civilian policing authorities will enforce temporary shutdowns of the highway as the brigade convoy moves along. A train is to be loaded with fuel and sent to the Terminal at San Antonio Oeste, and will provide fuel for the convoy if they require it at that midpoint. They are to make best speed to Rio Gallagos, with about 22-26 hours of driving. The onloading, convoy management, etc. will add at least 2 days to the start, and offloading will take about a day on the other side. The brigade will deploy to HWY 255 once they're ready.

The remaining Reinforced Regiments of the Chilean 5th Division are to deploy to support their comrades on HWY 9. The light infantry will stick to the favourable terrain, and the mechanized and armor will cover the more wide open areas

General Humberto, EA

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Combat Orders

AO ARROW[AKA Tierra Del Fuego]

As the supreme commander said, we're going on the offensive! Make it loud and clear in the newspaper, on the radio waves, and on social media. CSAD will *not* let the PLA advance one step forward on our precious land. We have arranged a large assault on PLA positions along HWY 257. We have even learnt from some POW's we captured, and heard the news that the PLA has fooled African foreign nationals into being shanghai'd into their imperialistic War of Aggression on our beautiful continent. We would like to open up a surrender line for these victims of the PLA war effort, staffed by our linguistics experts with fluency in the languages of countries known to have known Chinese aggression, and have the details broadcast on social media and via shortwave/AM/FM radio. They will be given fair treatment, offered a ticket back to a safe African country on a flight, and enough funds to get them back home. If some wish to fight back against the PLA, perhaps we can look into making some arrangements. Expect photographs and video footage from our successful offensive on Tierra Del Fuego soon!

[This is the public facing message. The real battle plans follows. Classified Top Secret. Only Brigade commanders and their 2IC, and up are cleared to read this, and this plan is only to be relayed to the troops right before the start of the operation]

The Real goal on TDF: We must evacuate TDF with all due haste. Given that we have two PLA brigades breathing down our neck with more likely disembarking at Rio Grande, we have very little time to get 250+ armored vehicles across the strait on a single RORO ferry. Thus, to honour the commander's intent to be aggressive, we are planning a widely publicized feint to try to fool the PLA into thinking we're going to commit to a foolhardy assault. On the 18th, we're going to tell the newspapers that we're attacking, and we're going to get the photographers to take some action shots of the artillery pounding away on the western flank, the 24th mechanized rolling out of Franco Bianco, and our Hueys looking busy with angry young soldiers ready to roll in. All of this will be published to support this conceit. The artillery is going to spend a large amount of their munitions on aggressive shelling of known PLA positions for their photoshoot, and then pull back to Campo Cerro on the 18th. The signals company is to find some local frequencies known to be used by the PLA, and blast out our pre-recorded propaganda messages to the shanghai'd contract soldiers.

Then on the 19th, We're going to have the infantry do a probing attack on the PLA BDE on HWY 257, see what they do, and then make a withdrawal at best speed. The supply base and assets at Franco Bianco airfield, the C2 and other specialized assets of the Brigade, and the armored artillery are going to prepare on the 18th, and then be rapidly demobilized and evacuated across the strait during the offensive operations on the 19th, under the cover of the poor weather.

The paratroopers are going to deploy in a nearby valley,(only if the C-130's can manage it safely, their flight lead can scrub this mission at any point of the operation), and support a probing attack by our two infantry regiments on the PLA brigade south of the bridge on HWY 257 at -52.9348557, -69.3239742 , ideally with some showy munitions like cluster bombs from some F-5's to encourage them to pull back. We have some suspicions that this brigade may be partially manned with unwilling contract soldiers that were recruited under false pretenses back in Africa. Ideally, this shock and awe gambit scares the PLA brigade enough to initiate a retreat/withdrawal, if they're as we hope and are mostly the unmotivated contract soldiers. The infantry are to run a large[ie. Permanent smoke marker ingame] smoke generator once they reach the limit of their advance, so the F-5's know where the FLOT is.

The Airborne are to be deployed with a pallet of anti tank mines, and if the PLA retreats, they are to join the two mechanized regiments with the mines. They are then to make best speed back up the highway, and we request that the airforce then blows the bridge behind them, *ONLY AFTER ALL OUR UNITS MAKE IT ACROSS SAFELY* . If this plan goes to poo poo, the airborne are to retreat to the valley they inserted in and start moving northward on the double, and the mechanized infantry are to retreat back to Cerro Sombrero and the bridge gets blown as planned. If the plan goes well, the airborne will hitch a ride on top of the mechanized vehicles, set up some AT mines further up the highway near the Gepard, and all of the units will then make their way to Campo Cerro.

The engineer battalion is going to spend this time mining HWY Y-65, and then the armored regiment and engineers are to start pulling back to the ferry down the highway, being next in priority after the supply units, the artillery, and the specialized support units. Recon and MI pulls back to Franco Bianco when the infantry starts their withdrawal.

AO Bolt

The Chilean Division are to withdraw to the west of Nav point INDEPENDIENTE, and set up defensive lines. The reinforced infantry regiments are to set up on the West flank, and the recon unit is to make best speed to Bellavista 6. The Argentinian 9th Mech BDE will pull back to Santa Maria, and set up a defensive line there. We request that the air force look at hitting some of the bridges supplying the PLA advance on the front, and hopefully slow down the brigades that are offloading at Punta Arenas.

General Humberto, EA

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Oct 25, 2023

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

FIRE MISSION

The Astros II battery is to load their SS-40* MLRS pods, with a max range of 40 km and having 16 rockets per launcher pod. They are to deploy from Rio Gallagos to the ridges shown in the following graphic, and suppress/destroy the hostile tube artillery around Cabo Negro. The artillery units from the 9th Mech are also to position themselves to fire across the strait, and coordinate their fires and counterbattery calculations with the Astros battery. Once the artillery is dealt with, they are to support the 9th BDE with fires on PLA advances. They are to have their AShM refit of X-300's prepared and ready to deploy from Rio Gallagos, if the need to pivot to a coastal defense battery arises

General Humberto, EA

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Oct 25, 2023

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Logistics Changes

Please see attached plan for logistics. Supply base 'Bolsa de Tenancia' is to be dismantled, and moved back to Monte Aymond right off HWY 3. The Chilean 5th division's primary supply base 'Magallanes' will deploy to Primavera, and set up on the west side of the bridge off HWY 9. We request that the locomotives in storage be brought back into service to ply the Rio Turbio Railway between Rio Turbio and Rio Gallagos. The railway will focus on providing bulk supplies from the port to the Western side of the theatre, and the highway will be used for smaller, varied loads and 2 way transit.

NASAMS

The NASAMS battery is to deploy back to Riquelme Bajo, about 10 km behind the division to provide SAM coverage for the troops.

General Humberto, EA

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Yooper posted:

PANTHER 2

F-16A X 4
Frequency : 154.00
El Calafate Air Base TACAN : 87X
LOADOUT : 1-3 (2XJDAM + 2XFuel) 4 (A2A + 2 Fuel)
CONDITION Alpha - Will ORBIT at WP3 until VENOM calls SEAD CLEAR.

Intent : JDAM 3 bridges from standoff distance and RTB.

PLAN
Depart el Calafate after VENOM.
Climb to 31K, hold at WP3 until given all clear.
IP is WP4 - BOCA, Flights Split to targets below.
#4 is TARCAP and will remain with #3.
#1 will strike BRIDGE 4 (WP6).
#2 will strike BRIDGE 1 (WP7).
#3 will strike BRIDGE 3 (WP8).
RTB to el Calafate.

https://www.map.army/?ShareID=1027344&UserType=RC-9Eqq80dg

RULES
Remain above 30k ft.
Hold at WP3 until VENOM CLEAR.

THREATS
HQ-7 near Bridge 3.
SA-10 at Rio Gallegos. Do not Stray South

Coordination with Ground Forces

The Regimental commanders wanted me to pass this along to the ABM and Flight lead for Panther 2.

quote:

Our probing attack will be conducted for 40 Minutes from the start of the mission. We will then withdraw over the bridge on HWY 257. We request air forces save Bridge 3 for last, and only until we've crossed over it successfully.

In the worst case scenario, we do have amphibious APC's, so if you're getting close to Bingo fuel, or need to get your munitions off before hostile CAP pushes you out, then please coordinate with the ABM and ground commander[Negostrike in CA] to ensure the bridge is clear before you drop your bombs. Any of our units left on the hostile side of the bridge will have to retreat across the river.

General Humberto, EA

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

concise posted:

A lieutenant with a perplexed look on his face appears before you carrying a decrypted fax.

"General, for your eyes only from Santiago, but," he trails off momentarily, "the keys indicate this is from the Americans. Very strange. I apologize for the delay."

General Scholz, I can recommend sending a pallet with cases of Trapiche Malbec, from the starkly beautiful Mendoza region of Argentina. I served this wine at my wedding[ooc: for real, I did :wotwot: and it's great], and it comes highly recommended. Or perhaps there's a wine from your mother country you have in mind?

Perhaps our Air Mobility Officer could arrange an expedited delivery of this Consideration for our American partners.

General Humberto, EA

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Vahakyla posted:

GAME TIME IS NOW 1900HRS, 18 FEB 2010.

Movement orders executed.

----------------------
AO BOLT:

Your troops have retreated in an orderly fashion towards your designated locations.
Your brigade commanders report that they are not in contact, and that the frontline is very quiet.

The Astros MLRS have reached their position and they are loaded with the land attack cassettes.

The forward brigade supply point was abandoned and left for the PLA. A new one needs to be established and it needs fresh supplies because, well, you know, they are in the neighboring APO.

--------------------

AO ARROW

11th Mech BDE of Argentine Army is slowly ceding ground, but in decent shape and not currently getting overwhelmed. Brigade commander reports good confidence for orderly retreat.

The Mech Engineer Brigade is laying AT mines but has no AP mines as Ottawa Treaty was adhered to and Argentina had very few to begin with.

Brigade commander is asking if there is any large hospital that the current flow of wounded can be directed two after they leave the Role 2 at the northern Ferry Terminal?

When should the evacuation of Supply Base "Bolsa de Tenencia" begin? And to where?

SB Bolsa de Tenancia is to relocate immediately. SB Magallanes of the Chilean Division is to deploy as well. The designated MSR's, and in particular the rail line, are to be activated to support the flow of supplies to the units at the front. I can designate specific BSA's in addition to the division level supply bases, please advise the granularity that you require. Please refer to the released changes to the logistics plan for our units on the front line:

Mederlock posted:

Logistics Changes

Please see attached plan for logistics. Supply base 'Bolsa de Tenancia' is to be dismantled, and moved back to Monte Aymond right off HWY 3. The Chilean 5th division's primary supply base 'Magallanes' will deploy to Primavera, and set up on the west side of the bridge off HWY 9. We request that the locomotives in storage be brought back into service to ply the Rio Turbio Railway between Rio Turbio and Rio Gallagos. The railway will focus on providing bulk supplies from the port to the Western side of the theatre, and the highway will be used for smaller, varied loads and 2 way transit.

NASAMS

The NASAMS battery is to deploy back to Riquelme Bajo, about 10 km behind the division to provide SAM coverage for the troops. Please inform the Chilean Punta Arenas Battlegroup to make sure they array ~10 km forward of it, so they're still in it's protective radius.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Medical supplies and Staff

Buen Día everyone. I appreciate all your support and hard work to keep our troops fighting and resisting the Occupiers. The heavy fighting in the recent days has caused an increase in casualties, and as a result we need to establish some designated medical centers. My medical staff have identified locations on both sides of the theatre that can support a division level Role 3 Medical center. The problem is that we don't have enough staff specialized in treating the kinds of acute trauma and other wounds you see on the battlefield locally, or the supplies to get them providing the best possible level of care. Please refer to the two designated locations attached.

24th Mech Inf Regt. Medical facility, Rio Gallagos

-51.6382296, -69.2302702

Hospital de Puerto Natales

-51.7291972, -72.4807502

To address the staffing and supply issue, I have to offer my thanks to the Santa Casa da Misericórdia foundation
in Brazil for the support they have offered. They have collected donations of medical supplies from their facilities across the country, and consolidated them at the Santa Casa de Misericórdia de Porto Alegre hospital. They also put out a volunteer call across South America for doctors, surgeons, nurses, and other medical specialists who wish to contribute to the war effort through their talents, and paid for their tickets to Porto Alegre. I have been informed that their supplies have been palletized, the volunteer staff are ready, and that all we need is a large jumbojet charter flight from Porto Alegre to the front line to get our Role 3 medical centers open. Half of the supplies and passengers are to disembark in Rio Gallagos, and the other half are to disembark in Puerto Natales. I leave the details of arranging these flights to our Air Mobility Officer Crab.

General Humberto, EA

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Negostrike posted:

Wow hometown mentioned. Donated blood in that hospital many times just to get a sammich

:discourse:

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Vahakyla posted:

General Humberto glances at his phone.

Outstanding. That was a marathon drive, to be sure. Give the troops a 4 hour reprieve in Rio Gallagos at the 24th Mech Inf 's Base in town, make sure they get a good square meal, and have them ready to deploy to the front line right after.

Use the offshoot HWY 40 towards Punta Loyola for the disembarkment of the vehicles from the heavy haul trucks.

Stop by the fuel trucks from the logistics guys at Supply Base "Bolsa de Tenancia", they're relocating but should be able to top up the vehicles that need it.

Deploy to the FLOT down HWY 255, near Santa Maria and San Gregorio. The 9th Mech is already deployed there and digging in.

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Update on the Ground War

The last Air Operation on the 19th was a fine day for our aviators. They did us proud with the valiant work they did in dropping the bridges to slow the PLA advance. The retreat from TDF was well underway on the 19th, and due to some great work by our logisticians we got the entire Argentinian 11th Mechanized Brigade off of the island in the evening of the 20th. I can't overstate how much the air force's efforts contributed to one of the hardest things a military can do, transporting large amounts of troops over a vulnerable sealift corridor in a contested warzone.

So.. It's official, we have ceded the island of Tierra Del Fuego to the PLA. As much as it pained me to order the retreat from territory that our troops have fought hard over and died to protect, this was the only course of action we had available to us. The PLA's logistical tail is shortest to TDF, they have a S-300 SAM system in place, and our Intel has shown that the PLA was building up combat power for a likely final push on the northern tip of the island that we held. The forces that are conducting operations from Punta Arenas have a much longer logistics route to keep them supplied, which makes them their more exposed unit, long term. They're already on the mainland, and we've determined that our best chance at repelling the Occupiers is to draw them into the hills and mountains of Patagonia and give 'em hell.

Orders for the Brigades to follow

General Humberto, EA