Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Stoked! Busy season for me but I'm going to make it work.

e: uuh I vote we give Peru's newly elected president qualities in addition to simply being 'female', like a name. What about Lucia Aguila Gutierrez?

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Sep 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Which of the available planes is easiest to learn from zero to heroe in an evening or two, A4, SU25, or F16? F5?

I basically only know how to hornet or tomcat so i'm looking at something that's suitable for idiots

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 25, 2023

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Mederlock posted:

If you know the Hornet, then the F16 or F5 should be easy enough to transition to

Oof I've looked at a startup for the F16 and it bothers me that you have to line up your HUD. Like, that plane seems to be a lot of work. I think I'm gonna go with the SU25 on this campaign. Just watched a clip and the absolute bear essentials seem to fit on two pages, just need to figure out a smart way to put it on my HOTAS.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

radintorov posted:

I have to ask what clip did you watch, because the F-16 is one of the easiest modern jets to learn in DCS, even more so than the Hornet.

Edit:
having talked about it on the Discord, it's a case of a bad quick impression, in practice it's nowhere as complicated as it might seem from a clip.
But also the SU-25 has simplified avionics so it's really easy to quickly pick up and put warheads on foreheads

Yeah, I've read your comments. Thanks for that. I can appreciate that many tutorials are a bit on the nerdier side. By comparison, I can get the hornet ready to party in like two minutes, whereas YouTube tutorials generally overcomplicate everything and turn this into a computer touching exercise.

I'll dwell on this a little bit. I wanna have the F16 in the medium term, but I don't think I'll be proficient enough for it until the campaign starts (I have a couple of evenings to practice), and it's quite expensive imo in addition to the campaign map. There is also part of me that hopes that picking up the SU25 with a bunch of rockets and one or two guided missiles will be a bit more laid back experience than managing JDAMs, punching in waypoints for a cruise missile while evading radar and juggling A2A and what not.

E: I'll take this out of this thread, this isn't really adding anything to the campaign discussion

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Sep 26, 2023

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I'm curious about the F5 and I think it would be good to give them more love, these beauties clearly deserve it.

On the other hand I've spent all evening yesterday to set up the SU25T in the absence of an F18 :v:

No but seriously, the SU25T is free and can probably be pretty capable in A2G. And the Vikhrs can even be used against other slow planes and helicopters! Its only real downside is that it doesn't have a clickable cockpit but I managed to get most workflwos mapped pretty neatly on my HOTAS and there are guides to map it onto a Logitech stick.

Given finally that the map is already pretty steeply priced, I think we would be wise to give it to the more accessible option. Despite me being really curious about the F5 I think we should go with the SU25T in this case, purely for keeping it accessible.

PS: wait will this be SU25 or SU25T? If it's the SU25 i need to go bind a bunch of keys again and I really like that little monitor :qq:

In regards to Argentinia and the UK being strange bedfellows: Italy, the Balkans, Soviet Union, Japan (...). Hell, Germany joining the same defensive alliance as fricking France and The Netherlands. There have been stranger switches of allegiance in a shorter amount of time. It's fine. Argentinia and the UK will be able to very quickly rationalize away any unease.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Welcome to Puerto Natales!

Puerto Natales is a small, sleepy town in the southernmost tip of Chile. Sat at the ruggest coast of the Southern Atlantic and cradled by fjords and mountains, you might forgiven if you thought you'd be in Iceland or the tip of Scandinavia.

It is now December 31, 2009. The climate in the Antarctic Summer is now pretty mild, although it can still regularly freeze. Normally right now, this little town would be teeming with tourists from all over the world who stop by on their quest to explore the magnificent beauty of the rugged and remote Magallenes. This year is different, though.

There is palpable tension in their. Geographically, you could hardly be any further away from the massive conflicts that have erupted this year. But in a globalized world and with supersonic airplanes, even this place is touched by what is increasingly feeling like another World War.

Tourism is not the only business in town. But this year's business season is attracting less than half of the typical volume of travellers. At the same time, everything is becoming more expensive. Fuel, gas, food, consumer goods of any kind, medicine, even services: all across the globe, less of it is available, and so it is becoming more expensive. In addition, if you want to have it in Puerto Natales, it needs to arrive across thousands of miles by boat, road, or air. So, not only are the products you buy expensive, the shipping is also more expensive. And what little product the stores manage to get here often arrives a little worse for wear. The average income of a Puerto Natales household might be 75% or 80% of what it was before 2009 (less if your family relies on tourism). But the cost-of-living, all in all, have roughly doubled. And even if you have the money, you will probably not get your favorite product, and what you get isn't often the quality you're used to.

But for now, you manage. Families that can't make ends meet can still rely on the government to fill the gaps. Kids can still play for free and go to school. You might eat not what you'd like to, but you're still eating. The TV and radio are still running (electricity is still being generated), and there are plenty of nice folk around to play games and music with, and to swap books, tools, and materials with that you might need.

But what when the Antarctic summer is over? When the last tourists also go? When it gets cold, the poor families will have to choose between eating and heating. And they know full well that when they don't eat, the cold sea air will rot their homes, eventually costing them more in the long run. For now, electric devices all run. Drug stores and doctor's offices are well stocked. But what when these devices break, and what when you break a bone in six months? Will you still get painkillers then, or will you need to wait months for them to be refilled? What if the road gets blocked, and shipping across the Atlantic is made too expensive and unsafe by rising tensions? Will your town die a slow death by a thousand cuts, when broken devices cannot be replaced and spare parts run out, when slowly people use their last money to flee North in search of employment and food, when the doctors finally tell you to gather herbs for your ailments?

You came here years ago to seek peace, to get away to a remote place where no one would make your life difficult. Now you're here and the world is still coming here to bother you. The problems have found you and the peaceful remoteness of this place make you feel stranded, all alone on an island in the ocean.

But right now, everything is good. You're with your family. There's a bottle of wine and you're cooking dinner. You couldn't get your kids' favorite ketchup at the store, and they didn't have any fries in stock. That's okay, you can make some your own. There'll be a movie on later tonight. Maybe share a glass with the neighbours once midnight rolls around. For the kids this time can just be a weird but ultimately harmless adventure. It might get worse. But for now, you can make this work.

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Sep 27, 2023

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

January 1. Happy New Year. Man, you thought it was poo poo then. That turned out to be wishful thinking, but what were you supposed to do? Buy a bunch of bitcoin, take one kid under each arm, and hike up to Santiago? You wish you'd done that.

Somehow, on the very first morning of 2010, the kids let you sleep until 11am. You can't remember that happeningat any time in the past. You had a few glasses of wine too many with the neighbours. The kids would be staying at their grandparents today, that'd give you some time to cure the hangover and get the place in order again. When you finally stumble down in the kitchen, Rosa is still out. But she must have briefly popped in to bring you the paper. You make a note to thank her for taking care of you this morning. Maybe pick some flowers. Or get some pie going, something nice for when comes back. Yeah, that sounds about right.

The news in the paper isn't good. Not good at all. Yesterday you had briefly hoped that the coming year might become better. Now you wonder how much worse it can get. St. Helena was how far away, one thousand miles, two thousand maybe? They wouldn't want to come here, would they? What for? Cod and sheep?

You make a shopping list. Top up on butter and eggs, flour. You know that there'll be a crisis coming, so throw in some extra toilet paper. Should be everyone's last concern but whenever things get rough, toilet paper runs out first. Most people here could stand to lose a couple of pounds, but they don't want to walk around with a dirty bum. It makes sense, in a way.

You make your way to the shop. You're on autopilot. That autopilot disconnects as soon as you pass through the automatic doors of the small grocery shop. The line goes all the way from the register, along the frezzer, through one of the three small aisles, towards nearly the shop. Can't squeeze by anyone. Then again, what for? Most of the good stuff seems gone anyway. poo poo. Happy New Year, motherfucker.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Speaking for the Chilean SU25s, we should provide CAS for ground troops that desperately need it. On the map the terra de Fuego guys might look in a tricky situation. But dislodging a determined defender is not easy, especially when there is a constant threat of air power. If the line holds, we can exert strong control over the coastal regions and make life for PLAN really really hard.

This is a vote for Rabbit BRAVO.

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Oct 2, 2023

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Theres something in the name also for Rabbit BRAVO. Something something land of fire hearts of iron someone come up with something clever

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Oh poo poo, oh gently caress.

Christmas was so loving easy compared to this poo poo.

The Chinese are standing on the island. Newspaper writes that they'll be stuck there. Hmm, maybe. But there's an awful lot of people travelling through your town now with their cars piled full of everything they could stuff in there. Not really the typical tourist crowd Puerto Natales attracts. And they're not staying, in fact they can hardly get away fast enough.

There's more newcomers. Up North at the airport, military guys have set up shop. They carry flags from all over CSAD countries. The paper wrote about it, and you see them fly circles over the area. You don't know how many there are, but it boggles the mind how many people a couple of planes could need to support them. There's mechanics, janitors, technicians, and no idea what kind of people, but at any time there's dozens of them walking around town, taking photos and drinking up the cafés and bars. And some of them live here, along with the refugees from Puerto Arenas and the Malvinas that arrived recently. It's good of course that there's business back in town, but this the Monkey Paw's version of that.

In all of this, the fact that there is an international response to this invasion gives you hope. They haven't decided to forsake this place - yet. But you realize that a military airfield isn't just a shield over your community. It's also a target. If the Chinese want to go up to where the real economy is - they surely aren't here for the penguins - that airport is in the way. And so is Puerto Natales.

You've decided that by the time that becomes relevant, you'll have bugged out. You and your wife have prepared a list with items and a go-bag for everyone that can be readied quickly. There's cash in the house.

Your clients are still sending you payments that you keep in Pesos, Euros, and Dollars. But clients take longer and longer to pay your drat work, and the currency fluctuations make it hard to track how much you actually have going in and out at any moment. You even made an account at some of these lovely Bitcoin companies and bought a little reserve there. The though that you have some money living on your USB stick is kind of neat, you admit that. In case you use the USB drive, you have a paper slip that gives you control of the funds. It's buried between the tomato plants. In case you lose that paper slip with the pass words, you've made your family memorize them in a secret song. But who knows what good that'll do when push comes to shove. If it comes to the worst, would someone bring your family to Lima or give them food or shelter for internet magic beans?

It's lunchtime. Normally you'd make a cup of coffee and sit by the sea for a bit. But coffee is up and it's miserable outside. So, what's the point? But your restless demands a walk and so you go. Jorge, the shopkeeper from the cornerstore is there. He's staring out over the waves. You make a little bit of chit chat. Absent mindedly you mention that he must make a killing what with all the hoarding that people are doing. He's giving you a hard look. "Do you think I'd be sitting here if that were so? I closed down for today because I have hardly anything left to sell." He looks down. "I have no idea how long I can keep the shop open. Everyone thinks that I'm making a killing but truth is I can hardly keep the lights on." You try to come up with something intelligent to say. You fail, and so you stay silent. "You know, last week a couple of boys came by the shop. Said they know my niece Martha and if they could get a discount. Told them I can't do it. They beat her up. Those fuckers beat her up." Another pause. "loving poo poo", you let go. First smart thing you said today. "You're goddamn right", he grunts back. You hold out a cigarette. He takes it.

You both continue to stare into the sea in silence. Under the overcast sky it appears grey and dull as concrete. The breeze is stiff and salty. Over the rushing of the waves you hear the distant thunder of jet engines.

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Oct 6, 2023

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Gridlocked posted:

Combined Air Combat Command - SCAD

Are there any final comments on Operación Escalpelo from flight leads? I feel confident in the Kh-28 of Chevy being able to take out a PLA BUK-equiv that is foolishly active near the front line due to the large effective range of the missile but I have never flown one. I want Escalpelo to go ahead but I need these serious opinions flight leads.

General de aviación Daniela Figueroa Scholz

General Scholz, has it been decided yet who will be in command of Chevy Flight and who will plan this mission out?

If there is no one, please let me know so you and I can work out an attack plan with you.

Also regarding weapons of choice, I can't find the Kh-28 missile. The SU-25T can employ two different anti-radiation missiles: the Kh-58U, which I presume you meant, and the Kh-25MPU. Of the two, I recommend the Kh-58U if it can be made available. It is much heavier, but at a strike range of up to 70km, it gives Chevy flight the best chance of escaping counter-fire. In the area of Escalpelo, there are otherwise precious few geographical features behind which Chevy can duck. If they can even be fast enough. Wikipedia Our military archives tell me that the Chinese HQ-16 (that's it, right?) missile is a BUK derivative with an effective range of about 40km, perhaps a bit more -- with the Kh58, we can beat it. Chevy flight should be able to carry two missiles per element plus additional munitions for targets of opportunity.

Edit:

Based on the information provided, I believe that the image below is the best approach to eliminate the threat from HQ-16. In this scenario, Chevy flight approaches the Magellan Strait from the North (WP1). The Strait shall be crosse West of Puerto Sara, due South. When crossing the bay abeam of Cabo Negro (WP2), the Kh-58 can be released; by that time, the HQ-16 should be painting us, but not yet able to reach us. This path should also minimze the warning time given to enemy forces at Puerto Arenas.

The trip should be doable within 250nm, or 450km. That's easily within range of the SU25 without external stores, however depending on additional tasking, we may consider external tanks.

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Oct 10, 2023

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

:siren: CHEVY FLIGHT STILL HAS A SPOT FREE. SIGN UP YOU DINGUS. THE SU25T IS FREE. THERE ARE HARDLY ANY CONTROLS TO LEARN FOR THIS MISSION. THIS TUTORIAL DOES IT IN SEVEN MINUTES. OUR DISCORD IS FULL OF DORKS WHO WILL SET YOU UP! :siren:

Chevy Flight: Mission plan

quote:

(You scribble your name on the blackboard)

"Alright you nerds, listen up! This is the game plan. We'll eliminate an air defense site that is a threat to our CAS flights on Tierra del Fuego."

(You turn around; in the room are one of your mechanics who is stealing cookies, the janitor, and the base's Golden Retriever who looks at you attentively)

"Well alrighty then"

Overview
You are tasked to incapacitate an HQ-16 (Chinese SA-11) site located near Porvenir. We will fly a route along two waypoints (WP1, WP2), attack the site marked on the map, and bug out.

Suggestd loadout
1x Fantasmagoria pod
2x Kh-58U anti-radiation missiles
2x Kh-25MPU anti-radition missiles
2x R60M

Depending on intel on the day, consider adding either:
2x R73 Radar A/A missile
OR
2x Unguided rocket pods

Note: additional Kh-25MPU missiles or other ordinance is not recommended. This will push the SU-25T above MTOW, and Puerto Natales does not have a runway long enough to get it in the air. It will not serve any purpose either, as the HQ-16 has a good chance of engaging you before you get inside the maximum range, anyway.

Loadout reference here

Departure from Puerto Natales
* After startup allow 3 minutes for the INS to align. Otherwise the A/G mode will not show accurate headings.
* You will need the entire runway including threshold to take off, so taxi out all the way
* The SU25T-heading tape shows true track, therefore all briefed directions are true unless stated otherwise

* After takeoff, turn track 115 to WP1, which is approximately 100nm or 180km out.
* Climbout at full power to 4000m, after that 95% power.
* Head to the shore of the Magellan strait, WP1. Take care to not stray too far West or South, as that may bring you close to hostile Punto Arenas.

Ingress
* When approaching the Magellan strait, you are within detection but not engagement area of the SAM site.
* When reaching the shore (WP1), turn due south and accelerate to full power.
* Lock onto the SAM site using your ELINT pod.

Attack
* You should be well above 4000m and 650km/h
* A few seconds after obtaining launch authorization, launch both Kh-58 with a few seconds interval.
* You have enough fuel for one or two race tracks to approach potential additional SAM launchers at Porvenir. However consider that the SAM site's engagement zone likely exceeds your KH25-MPUs maximum range. Thus, if you decide to run in again, defend immediately after launching.
* RTB when fuel <= 190

Egress
* Return to Puerto Natales on track 305 or as advised by ATC.

Threat management
* Avoid Punto Arenas
* Listen to the ABM for potentially hostile CAP
* This mission is close your MTOW, upon departure the SU25T will fly like a pig.
* Keep an eye on the fuel gauge. Without tanks (which are too heavy to carry), you have just a few attack runs of endurance on this mission. Your route/fuel-situation is not FAA-/EASA-compliant.

Communications Plan
Chevy Flight frequency: 135.00
ATC: 260.00
ABM: 261.00

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 13, 2023

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Technical check: do we need specific versions/updates for

- DCS openbeta
- SRS
- Mod packs?

And:

Would, perhaps during the game briefing, the game master(s) tell us who will radio chat with whom (as in, flights XZY talk to ABM, and so forth)?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Elendil004 posted:

gently caress it. We'll do it live.

Famous last words / server motto

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

:siren: CHEVY FLIGHT STILL HAS A SPOT FREE. SIGN UP YOU DINGUS. THE SU25T IS FREE. THERE ARE HARDLY ANY CONTROLS TO LEARN FOR THIS MISSION. THIS TUTORIAL DOES IT IN SEVEN MINUTES. OUR DISCORD IS FULL OF DORKS WHO WILL SET YOU UP! :siren:

Chevy Flight Mission 1 After-Action-Report

Objective: Suppress enemy air defense at Povenir
Result: Success

What happened during the mission:
* Took off from Puerto Natales
* Engaged HQ-16 (Chinese SA-11) SAM site at Povenir, destroyed search radar and several other units using double KH-58
* With the radar gone, the launchers were unable to touch the AO
* Provided SEAD near the front, claimed 2 HQ-7 sites plus surrounding units (only one of them showed up in report)
* Without an A2A-radar, situation wat the frontline was chaotic. I thought about hunting down helicopters, but practically my entire RWR was filled up for most of the time near the AO
* Considered attacking convoy or PLAGF units with 2 laser missiles, but due to the clouds I would have had to search targets firmly in range of MANPADs which I knew operated in the area, also fuel concerns

Claims:
* HQ-16 search radar + surrounding units
* HQ-7 + surrounding units
* HQ-7 + surrounding units (claimed; unconfirmed)

Losses:
* If AI counts: some of them ate missiles, and I think I saw another guy crashing into the suburbs of Puerto Natales on final
* Popped nose wheel tire on landing -- blinded by low-hanging sun, lost sight of airspeed, approach got unstable and I manhandled the nose wheel as a result

Points I liked:
* Had to make a judgement call based on rough geography whether I was seeing hostile or friendly units, guessed right -- good result
* Decision to bring extra SEAD missiles paid off

Points of improvement:
* Can't be overstated how much less situational awareness a SU25T has when it is operating between CAPs
* Loadout wasn't optimal. Had no use for A2A missiles since situation was too chaotic and couldn't afford to loiter anyhow, could have better used fuel tanks --> need to more closely coordinate with the ABM and Strike boss what I can do

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 15, 2023

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Supreme commander, as journalist for El megelleno, can I ask you for your personal assessment of the operation and the general situation? I will definitely not quote you out of context.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

You sit down at the kitchen table.

What a day. There was a mighty ruckus in town yesterday. Jets just kept flying and flying and flying, early in the morning. The noise was loud enough to raise the dead. Radio warned not to drive South. Not that you'd have wanted to anyhow.

Your wife and the kids are staying with relatives in Lima. You stay behind. Someone has to take care of the house. And it's going to be mighty cramped in their apartment, anyway. They seem to be having a good time, though. You can phone them every day, and they even care packages with photos and snacks. Seems that the kids are just treating it like a big adventure. Good. You miss them though. And they miss you. That stings a little.

Turns out one good thing about having a big military base in your neighbourhood is that supply problems get solved by magic. Jorge at the shop might not be able to always pick and choose what he wants to stock, but his shelves are full again. You guess that corrupt shipping companies are a lot less likely to scam customers when those customers can come knocking with guns in their hands. And at least for now you don't have to worry about someone stealing the tires or the fuel from your car. For now you can stay. If poo poo really does hit the fan you can hop in the car, take the neighbours and their dogs, and get out of dodge.

And maybe all this will be over soon, you think as you read the news. What was that saying? "You can fool all people some of the time and some people all the time. But you can never fool all people all the time." Or something to that effect. This world war is crazy and those madmen who are marching armies across the globe eventually have to run out of fools that keep them propped up. Right? Right?

You take another bite out of your care package cookies. There are ups and downs in your life. Tomorrow might be a downer, but today definitely isn't. So, you put down the newspaper and shut your laptop. You put on a jacket and step into a mild Arctic summer breeze.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

[reserved]

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Flight Lead posted:

"Look alive pilots, we'll move out soon!

During our last flight, we introduced ourselves to the PLAGF. Turns out they can't get enough for us. We're invited to party in their backyard. Let's make sure we give them some fireworks.

Today's target are three PLAGF mechanized brigades that are threatening our troops at the Arenas isthmus. Go there, kick them hard, and most importantly, come back.

Let's get started"

Overview
Chevy 1 is tarsked with providing CAS at the Arenas isthmus. The exact strength of the enemy forces, as well as potential threats, are uncertain., but we expect three brigades of varying degrees of mechanization. There will be CAP and friendly SAM in the AO. Weaken these brigades, but do not overextend yourselves.

Suggestd loadout (preliminary): all-rounder
1x Fantasmagoria pod
2x Fuel Tank
1x Kh-25MPU anti-radition missiles
1x Kh-25ML laser-guided missile
2x RBK-500-255 HEAT heavy cluster bombs
2x B-8M1 dumb HEAT rocket pods
2x R60M AA missile

Loadout reference sheet at Eagle Dynamics here

Mission plan
The Western portion of the AO has good visual identifiers. 3rd PLAGF Brigade is close by the shore, just southwest of what looks to be sand dunes or something. Due east of that, close by the only road in the area, and almost exactly south of the lake shore (and of the road, prior to before makes a bend) is the 5th PLAGF Mech BDE.

In the East is the 4th PLAGF Brigade. I expect that it will be harder to localize them, although you can make the case that they're exactly between one of the sawtooths of Laguna Cabeza de Mar and Puerto Zenteno.

Because I expect the WEstern brigades to be more easily identifiable on the day and they're closer to our own forces and our own forces have SAM coverage, I propose that the 3rd PLAGF Brigade and 5th PLAGD Mech BDE be our primary targets, and the 4th PLAGF Brigade a secondary target.

In case we get separeted or disoriented I propose that we meetup at 2000m over Laguno Casimiro, the white interestingly shaped lake northeast of the AO. This should be identifiable as well as safe from intercept. If that spot becomes unsafe we shall coordinate further.

Overall picture

Primary targets

Secondary target

Execution
* Mind your take-off weight -- maximize take-off roll by utilizing entire runway
* Approach the isthmus from the North
* Swerve West until over the ocean, abeam of the sand dunes near primary target
* Go racetrack pattern against primary target
* Prioritze survival against air defence
* Move over to secondary target
* RTB at remaining fuel 150 at latest

Navlog
The SU-25T does not have a TACAN receiver.
Navigate VFR, use waypoint 13 as reference to homebase, or ask ABM for vectors.

Communications Plan
Chevy Flight: 135.00
ATC (untowered): 260.00
ABM (Condor): 261.00
Strike package (Buzzard): 263.00

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 19, 2023

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

:siren: CHEVY FLIGHT STILL HAS 2 SPOTS FREE. SIGN UP YOU DINGUS. THE SU25T IS FREE. THERE ARE HARDLY ANY CONTROLS TO LEARN FOR THIS MISSION. THIS TUTORIAL DOES IT IN SEVEN MINUTES. OUR DISCORD IS FULL OF DORKS WHO WILL SET YOU UP! :siren:

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Chevy Flight: After Action Report

I'll keep this brief, as this mission was considered a failure and we need to focus on where we need to improve.

What was the task
* Originally, the task was to provide CAS over the Punta Arenas isthmus. On the eve of the operation, the tasking was shifted to conduct a mixed SEAD/Strike-mission on Northern Tierra del Fuego.
* This mission was considerably complexer than the initial task. However, thanks to Breaky and Karrick joining the flight, it became achievable.

What was the outcome
* We were jumped by a PLAAF patrol over the Magellan strait and wiped out immediately -- had just a few seconds of reaction time before we were blown out of the sky
* None of the assigned targets were achieved

What went well
* Thanks to Breaky's and Karricks involvement, we were quickly able to generate a new action plan for the mission.
* Without prior practice, we were able to take off at the cramped airfield, and ended up in the AO almost in formation.

What went wrong
There are a number of failures of mostly strategic nature, mostly surrounding degraded situational awareness.

1. Scope creep in the mission plan
The final mission became much more complex (several targets, different type). As a result, attention during the flight was spent on coordinating the flight onto the three target locations. This was attention that was not spent on gaining and maintaining situational awareness.

2. There were no time tables
When Chevy approached the strait, we did so in the belief that we were actually late to the party, what with us flying at ~250 knots top speed. When I could not find any hostile SAM site where intel said it should be, I encountered confirmation bias: I interpreted this as consistent with these sites having either been attacked by other SEAD strikes, or these sites not painting us as they were already engaging other flights. In fact, these sites were not active because we were unintentionally the first flight over the AO.

3. There was no situational awareness
As outlined in the previous point, I expected us to be the slowest flight and misinterpreted the battlespace consistent with that expectation. In other words, there was no situational awareness. This was also true for Buzzard, who said that he could not see many units due to a large amount of clutter in his information. To my knowledge, the other flights also didn't realize we had overtaken them. In other words, crucial situational information was not available, communicated, or asked for between all commanding parties in the mission (flight leads, managers). As a result of all this, I was basically shot out of the sky the moment I could tell my flight to duck.

4. There was no air superiority near the AO
This speaks for itself, essentially. Because lacking communication and protocols degraded situational awareness, we were over the strait before our cover arrived. Had we been a minute or two later, the mission might have become a complete sucess. Our own jets managed to wipe the floor with the PLAAF.

5. Runaway trim condition on Breaky's plane
Breaky experienced runaway trim when disconnecting his autopilot. This was not a technical error but a result of how the autopilot works -- it maintains the last trim commanded by the AP, even if that trim is a suicidal nosedive (because the AP is poo poo). For a large portion of the flight, his Froggy was essentially uncontrollable.

Recommendations based on these shortcomings
1. Missions should be simple. This falls both on command as well as the flight lead - I should have more forcefully lobbied to put one plane on SEAD, and the other two on strike.
2. We need to establish clear time tables. There should be pre-defined conditions at which strikers will ingress and egress. They need to be clearly communicated and acknowledged.
2a. I also recommend establishing holding points or safe corridors for when air superiority is in doubt.
3. Points 1, 2, and 2a should help with situational awareness. However, flight leads and battle managers need to pipe up the moment they have any doubt. Communicate proactively, never make assumptions.
4. As a result of 1, 2, 2a, and 3, air superiority should be established.
5. Aircrews should receive additional training on the avionics of the SU25T in order to prevent similar mishaps from occuring.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

There are some developments.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

So I'm just casually walking by and telling you a fun fact, no reason at all, that the SU25T can actually carry some pretty big guided missiles, which might gently caress up a boat, no particular reason

E: actually to be clear Im asking whether you'd deem it feasible to swarm boats with froggies

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 23, 2023

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Overview
Our task is simple: strike PLAGF 7th Infantry BN 4th BDE and 3rd RECON BN 4th BDE.

Suggestd loadout (preliminary): Macross
We expect targets that are lightly armored or not at all. MANPADs and AAA are a potential threat. Therefore, use weapons against light armor that do not require continuous guidance to or hovering over your target. Meaning: a "Macross"style loadout composed of lots of rockets.
- 2x S-8 OFP: pod with 20x9kg fragmentation, 2km range
- 4x S24B: 123kg fragmentation, 2km range
- 2x S25: 190kg framentation, 3km range

Use this weapon reference to select what works for you
Loadout reference sheet at Eagle Dynamics here

Mission plan

* From Puerto Natales, we will approach the AO.
* When formed up with the rest of the strikers southeast of the target, we will ingress.
* Egress northeast.

Notes
* No loitering on this mission. You see something, you nuke it. Do not waste fuel hunting down individual jeeps between trees with your FLIR.
* Given we're supposed to be done ASAP, extra fuel bag might not be needed.

Navlog
1) Puerto Natales
2) COLO
3) Lake
4) 7-4 INF BN
5) 3-4 RECON BN
6) COLO
7) Puerto Natales

Communications Plan
Chevy Flight: 152.00
ATC (untowered): 260.00
ABM (Condor): 261.00
Strike package (Buzzard): 263.00

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 11, 2023

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Chevy debrief

Mission result
Mostly failure.

What happened
* Took off too early from Puerto Natales. I was waiting lined on the runway to give SEAD and CAP time to arrive on site. However, other striker AI planes started entering the runway. Fearing that it would become either impossible or dangerous to take off later, I took off. Thus, I arrived at COLO before SEAD.
* Due to me arriving way too early on COLO, I was running down the clock until I needed to RTB. This also contributed to Buzzard asking for the F16s to expedite, which increased their fuel burn and caused timing problems.
* I kept circling above the lake, waiting for the message that all was clear. In this time, it seemed that the SEAD/DEAD-teams were busy hunting down the last one or two SAM sites in the area. I could periodically hear those sites track me. However, AI planes were overflying the AO seemingly unbothered, and SEAD continued to hammer them.
* When Panther and/or Buzzard finally called to go ahead, I had just a few minutes of loiter time left. But there was still intermittend RWR warnings. Thus, I was faced with two choices: dive down and risk being shot down, or continue loitering and RTB without having done anything. Thinking that a SU25T was cheap and Vaha wouldn't be mad at me, I chose the dangerous option.
* I got a missile launch warning just after firing the first rocket. Already low and slow, there was no chance evading. Frustratingly, I could hear and see Uzi flight approaching the AO completely unmolested by what shot me down. I choose to interpret this as me exhausting the last SAM before the AI had to reload, enabling Uzi to unleash a devastating strike.

Victories
Destroyed and/or damaged some trucks.
(cope on) In a way, me eating that missile might have saved Uzi flight (cope ff)

Losses
SU25T shot down. Pilot ejected, walking home, snacking on some pilot rations.

Evaluation and recommendations
* Primary cause was that the SAM site was not suppressed.
* Had the SU25T taken some anti-radiation missiles, it could have helped in the job.
* Contributing cause was that the different flights were not as coordinated as they would have been.
* This was rooted chiefly in a lack of a good timetable and perhaps some confusion about the precise meaning of keywords

Recommendation 1: Implement a time table. Stagger flight times such that flights will arrive and can quickly form up and execute their task. Either by measuring out the time, or by having related flights take off one after the other, from the same airfield.
Recommendation 2: On game-night, go over the code words and take 2 minutes to discuss the game plan.
Recommandation 3: Make use of the SU25T's potent anti-radiation capability. It can carry 2 HARM-equivalents, plus a couple of smaller ones.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Elendil004 posted:

What does winning look like for us? Pushing the PLA back into the sea? Degrading them to a standstill and set-up of a DMZ? Our propaganda arm talks a big game but what's realistic? If they focused on our front they could roll up South America with impunity if they wanted to.

Winning for us means, to me, to deny China a permanent presence in South America.

My reasoning is the following: in the world of the Long Afternoon, North America (I'm lumping them together here) remains an island of relative stability and peace, just like it did during WW2. There are entire oceans seperating it from any real threat. Even beyond these oceans lie friendly buffer states in most cases. Its Middle And South American Neighbours are either aligned in trade or other political agreements, or they play no significant role at all. As a result, North America as a whole can generate massive industrial outputs, feed them into arms, and project power all over the world to other places, completely unmolested at home. If China manages to establish a permanent foothold in South America, that advantage is at peril: North America's backyard suddenly become hostile. This might effect a pullback of troops and resources from other theaters, greatly relieving pressure of China.

In the Chinese view, North America hasn't faced a credible external threat since more than 200 years. That isolated geopolitical position and guaranteed peace at home is the fundament of North America's war machine. In all conflicts that involved North America(n countries) since the emergence of its modern states, participation was entirely at will. If these conflicts became too hot, NA could withdraw at any time, without risking anything at home. Thereefore, China believes that war is mostly business for North America, nothing more. It reasons that the citizens and political interests of North America will not tolerate to be threatened or exposed to actual harm at home. Thus, if China can park an army in South America or flip a country or two, North America would suddenly no longer be isolated from the conflicts it is participating in. Citizens and political interests alike would not tolerate stationing troops in other theaters of war and demand all efforts be directed at securing the borders and trade routes at home. Thus, sending one carrier fleet to some largely uninhabitated landscapes in Argentina and Chilen may mean that four or five Western carrier fleets and hundreds of thousands of troops are withdrawn from other theaters.

The goal of the defending forces must therefore be to not allow the PLA to establish a permanent foothold in South America. Under no circumstances must anyone get any ideas that South America isn't safe anymore, because otherwise a substantial source of the entire industrialized West's manufacturing and power base threatens to fall apart.

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Nov 28, 2023

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Lurkers: merry Christmas and Happy 2024. Are you bored during the holidays? Come join us in the campaign. DCS, Arma, MSFS, Truck sim - or just plain roleplaying, there is a place for you. We're all thrilled to find out how this story ends, and you can be part of it!