Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
This game looks sweet, I’m looking forward to watching and enjoying. Since my partner is a rabid Argentina fan, I’ll have to read up a bit on contemporary Argentina and see if I can contribute anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
If you're looking for Latino club music in 2010, particularly the kind that hotshot pilots are going to be listening to (reggaeton), you want stuff like Daddy Yankee, Pitbull, Chino y nacho, Juanes, Marc Anthony, and of course Shakira. Spotify has a pretty decent 00s Latino playlist that you could build off of: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/37i9dQZF1DWWfSNTZNgABD?si=0728bd2987b64f70

Though they are missing the OG reggaeton song, Gasolina, which loving John McCain had a banger response to:

quote:

Despite Daddy Yankee’s denials, the sexual interpretation of “Gasolina” persists to this day. When the reggaeton star endorsed Arizona Senator John McCain in the 2008 presidential election, even McCain was forced to address it. An August 2008 New York Times article recapped the awkward moment:

These days, [‘Gasolina’] is usually understood as a double entendre that has little to do with fossil fuels… Asked on the plane what ‘Gasolina’ is about, [McCain] smiled and said, ‘Energy independence.’

https://genius.com/a/twitter-debate-about-the-true-meaning-of-daddy-yankee-s-gasolina-caused-a-surge-in-genius-popularity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGKrc3A6HHM

Kaal fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Sep 30, 2023

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Rabbit Bravo seems like the way to go. The Chinese offensive on Punta Arenas seems completely untenable without first finishing off the Argentinian brigade at Franco Bianco. While encirclement of that damaged brigade would be the worst case scenario, the PLAGF would first need to push through the Chilean brigade and also hold the strait, all while being supplied by sea. This will be difficult to sustain, and the exposed ferries and SAMs will be good targets for recently resupplied SU-25s. Keeping the Argentinian brigade in the fight is also important politically - allowing any one nation to bear the brunt of the fighting is going to risk their participation in the overall coalition.

Also, I'd be happy to volunteer for a role but my gaming laptop burned out the video card so I'm just on a MacBook for now.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Vahakyla posted:

If you choose to be the naval commander, you are basically on Google Maps or one of the web-based planning maps directing where you want the three fleets and what they need to prioritize. That's discord-forums-web based gameplay.

During gameday you can still spectate on Discord, and for example hover over the shoulder of your A-4 pilots and tell them how they don't fly good enough. Your presence on gameday is however not required.

In that case, I'd be happy to put on my commander's sombrero! «Irse a pique antes que rendir el pabellón!« Go down rather than surrender the flag - the Argentinian Navy motto

Kaal
May 22, 2002

This is Admiral Ileana Maria Sampaio, Argentina's first female admiral and the supreme commander of South American Combined Armada that comprises of the Chilean, Argentinian, and Brazilian Navies. Time is short, so I'll be brief.

There are three main naval groups of the SACA that are to be concerned with. The Chilean group is alone on the west side of the continent, far away from resupply, but it is combat-ready and is led by a carrier with 21 A4 Skyhawks. The Argentinian group is finishing up resupply near Puerto San Julian but it lacks an air contingent. The Brazilian group is steaming south to join the fight but it is in need of refitting.

I have the following suggested courses of action, which I put forward to the staff officers for review:

The Chilean group should stay within the relative protection of the beautiful nature reserve archipelago that it finds itself in, but proceed south to execute operations near Punta Arenas. Once it is within combat range of the peninsula, it should commit an attack on the area, either in direct SUPPORT of the ground forces holding the line at the Punta Arenas airport, or by looping south to INTERDICT air and naval resupply operations. Staff officers also suggest the further option of splitting off the surface fleet forces and conducting attacks within the cover of the archipelago and under P-3 monitoring. The Marine amphibious contingent would be available in support of this. However, full commitment of forces towards interdiction will also maximize the damage taken by the Chilean ground forces who are holding the line at Punta Arenas.

The Argentinean group should leave Puerto San Julian and proceed at best speed to defend the southern-most port of Rio Gallegos, support the resupply operations being conducted by the Brazilian Air Force, and be available to support the Tierra del Fuego beachhead in case of withdrawal.

The Brazilian group should rearm and refit at Puerto San Julian, as their full strength will be needed in the coming days. However submarine commander Cpt. Eliana Krawczyk has gone over the MI6 message intercepts and news of PLA merchant fleet hold-ups on the east side of Isla Malvinas, and believes that now is the time for a strike against the vulnerable logistical ships. She is requesting that both of the submarines attached to the Brazilian and Argentinian fleets be released to conduct a RAID against those forces and prevent them from unloading their war material. However, this plan is risky and would leave fleet defense to the air assets and surface fleet, so some officers would prefer that the two submarines PROTECT their respective fleets.

In support of all these activities, the Admiralty has identified four separate areas for P3 Orion monitoring and torpedo defense, as marked on this map (Loc A - D)*. However, we only have two P3's available for use. They could cover one area round the clock, or split up and cast a wider net intermittently. I would welcome opinions and feedback on the matter before making my final decision. The clock is ticking.

*Edit: The Brazilian Air Force has committed to round-the-clock coverage of the Puerto Rio Gallegos (Loc C) area, and no longer needs any additional patrols.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 2, 2023

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Yooper posted:

A bit of intel on the capabilities. These are strictly surveillance aircraft, and not able to drop sonobuoys or mines. The Argentinian P-3B's carry the AN/APS-80A radar with a surface range of ~ 80nm. It is an older radar, 1960's, but able to pick out a periscope on the surface as well as ships.

The Chilean P-3A's are significantly more capable with the Varan (TMV-118B) This baby has a reach of 200 nm.

Thanks for the great intel Yooper. Is it a correct understanding that the Argentinian P-3's assigned to SACA are P-3B's, whereas the Brazilian FAB P-3's are the Chilean P-3As?

Also, what is the effective combat range for the A4 Skyhawks we're using? Steak's great post on them didn't cover the more logistical parts as much. I can see on Wikipedia that they give a 1,000 nm range, but I thought it would be good to get a better idea about that.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 2, 2023

Kaal
May 22, 2002

quote:

The US Navy Bureau of Ordnance built 25 outdated but more compact Little Boy nuclear bomb designs to be used in the smaller bomb bay of the P2V Neptune. There was enough fissionable material available by 1948 to build ten complete uranium projectiles and targets, although there were only enough initiators to complete six.[7][8] The U.S. Navy improvised a carrier-based nuclear strike aircraft by modifying the P2V Neptune for carrier takeoff using jet assisted takeoff (JATO) rocket boosters, with initial takeoff tests in 1948. However, the Neptune could not land on a carrier, therefore the crew had to either make their way to a friendly land base after a strike, or ditch in the sea near a U.S. Navy vessel.

Which pilot flubbed their last landing? I've got good news for you!

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Elendil004 posted:

Sigint code decrypted. What could it mean?

Intercept 01:
code:
SWORD
DE AGINCOURT
INFO COMSUBACLANT
P 101256Z FEB10
BT
READY FOR REHEARSAL DINNER
IN TWENTY FOUR HOURS
WE COME UNSEEN
BT
NNNN
Intercept 02:
code:
SWORD 
DE AGINCOURT
INFO COMSUBACLANT 
Z 150508Z FEB10
BT 
THE BRIDE HAS ARRIVED 
THE VENUE IS BEAUTIFUL 
BY STRENGTH AND GUILE
BT
NNNN
Intercept 03:
code:
AGINCOURT 
DE SWORD
INFO COMSUBACLANT 
Z 150512Z FEB10
BT 
START THE MUSIC 
COOK THE GOOSE 
GOD SAVE THE QUEEN 
BT 
NNNN

Kaal fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 2, 2023

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Mederlock posted:

Preparing for the worst

As favourable as it would be to maintain a foothold on Tierra del Fuego, we must prepare for the worst case scenario. If PLAGF punch through our defenses on Y-65 or elsewhere, we will have no other recourse than to retreat with haste to the Franco Bianco airport and the ferry terminal near Puerto Progreso, and utilize some combination of air lift and sea lift to evacuate our forces off the island. There are 3 or 4 civilian ferry's operated by Transbordadora Austral Broom servicing the Strait, but it's unclear how many were able to escape Punta Arenas. They are the The Fueguino, Yaghan, Melinka, and the Pionero. It seems 2 were berthed in Punta Arenas , with another 2 berthed at the Puerto Progreso crossing. I ask the Admiral of the Navy to evaluate the viability of utilizing these or other vessels if worst comes to worst. There may also be the possibility of using C-130's to get our troops out of Franco Bianco airbase, but that's outside my pay grade and I ask El Commandante to advise what our options are there. Ideally, we will not need to avail ourselves of these options, but they do also offer the possibility of being used to supply a future offensive so I wager these preparations may bear fruit in the future regardless.

As I'm sure you're aware, the outcome of attempting a mechanized littoral retreat while under fire would be extremely doubtful. Some of the amphibious vehicles such as the M113's would likely be able to make the crossing at Puerto Progresso if they were prepared to do so, and they would need to act as a rear-guard while the other forces attempted to retreat via ferry. The ships in question, if they are indeed available, have very limited vehicular capacity. All the armor and artillery would need to be left behind, and even transporting the Piranha's would be extremely slow with each trip moving 10 or fewer of them. Realistically, we'd be lucky to get out all of the troops even if they were crammed together. I am prepared to order the Argentinian surface fleet into action if a retreat were required, and they could potentially assist with an emergency troop embarkation, but it would be very messy business and the commander would likely be forced to surrender part of their forces.

code:
Fueguino (the other three ferries are similar or slightly smaller)
Length: 70,6 mts.
Beam: 15,80 mts.
GRT: 656
Vehicular capacity: 65 cars up to 4,8 mts. long or 10 lorries up to 18 mts.
Passenger capacity: 184

Kaal fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Oct 3, 2023

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Not to be a doomsayer, but I agree that this is an operation where failure is not an option. Remember that Dunkirk saved the British forces only by abandoning all their equipment and dooming the French. It took years for the British Army to recover.

All that being said, it would be wise to prepare by securing those ferries that are available, and find them berths at Puerto Progresso for use in extremis. The land combat commanders should identify a priority list of their forces for orderly withdrawal. If combat air missions in the Tierra del Fuego area of operations do not go well, the ferries should immediately be put to use transiting those units over while it is possible to do so.

Ferries are apparently capable of crossing the strait in about 30 minutes, meaning each one could effectively carry perhaps 350 soldiers, 50 light vehicles, or 10 medium vehicles every hour. Even this relatively slow pace would come to a dead halt during a firefight. Without time and preparation, I would expect that the Argentinian Brigade would be reduced to only a couple of infantry regiments.

There’s some videos available here of what these ferries look like in operation:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/XCrSweediv6fQhJf6?g_st=ic

Kaal fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Oct 3, 2023

Kaal
May 22, 2002

These are just fantastic!

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Good evening all, this is ARA Admiral Sampaio:

The admiralty has coordinated with the staff officers and is prepared to issue the naval orders discussed earlier (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?goto=post&postid=534983907):

The Chilean Fleet is ordered to sail south down through the archipelago in order to enact a campaign to INTERDICT reinforcements of the Puntas Arenas offensive. When the ARA Veinticinco de Mayo carrier enters within range and begins preparing the A-4 attack, the surface warships and Marine regiment will be released to sustain the attack within the protected confines of the nature reserve. An Argentinean P-3 Orion will be ordered to Loc A to perform aerial reconnaissance and identify targets of opportunity.

The Argentinian Fleet is ordered to sail south to Puerto Rio Gallegos to protect critical resupply against attacks by the 1st PLAN Fleet, and to be available to defend the Tierra del Fuego area of operation should they be needed. The destroyer ARA La Argentina may be the critical linchpin required to coordinate and support the various SACA operations that will revolve around it.

The Brazilian Fleet is ordered to Puerto San Julian to undergo necessary refit and resupply. The NAeL Minas Gerais carrier is badly needed, so a servicing duration estimate is requested as soon as feasible. The standing FAB P-3 Orion patrol near Loc C should hopefully provide ample information about any 2nd PLAN Fleet movement towards the anchored fleet.

The submarines ARA San Juan and CNS O'Higgins are hereby released from patrol duties and ordered to conduct a RAID against PLAN logistic ships near Isla Malvinas. An Argentinean P-3 Orion will be ordered to Loc D to provide targeting information to those submarines as possible, as well as to provide warning against any offensives by the 3rd PLAN fleet.

Details to follow.

«Irse a pique antes que rendir el pabellón!«

Kaal fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Oct 3, 2023

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Taps posted:

Sir! This memo on additional logistical resources has just arrived:

(What does this mean? Air Goons isn't only military flight simulation. There are a lot of us who also fly civilian simulators as well, and some of us who almost only participate in civilian simulation and flight. We welcome all sorts of airplane nerds. Often there is not much "gamefication" of civilian simming outside of some economy sims. Now that we have identified a number of real life logisitcal air assets based on civilian aircraft that only exist in Xplane and MSFS, our civilian pilots can be tasked with anything from a long haul transport of troops from an ally country to a rear base, maritime recon missions, or frontline base deliveries under SAM threat.

The commanders should decide what there is a need for and charter flights according to the listed capabilities. Please consider this an open invitation to engage with our civiilian simmers!)

This is such a good idea! It sounds like we have a little bit of time to generate flight charter ideas before the next round of decision-making. I can think of a couple important logistical missions to start focusing on. First off, the NAeL Minas Gerais in Puerto San Julian needs significant resupply, and would certainly benefit from a major cargo charter carrying necessary war material and passengers. This would likely be a good role for a Boeing 737 or an Airbus 320, though the particulars of the cargo manifest and airport would need to be figured out. Secondly, while the ARA Veinticinco de Mayo and the Chilean fleet are currently well-supplied, they are sailing in the Reserva Nacional Alacalufes and far from any port. Their support fleet will be stretched thin trying to keep them armed and fueled, and active combat operations will quickly make them in need of regular aerial resupply. These missions will involve smaller planes such as the BAE 146, and short, isolated air strips in and around the national park. Figuring out the logistics for these operations will be critical for sustaining the naval combat aviation efforts.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Oct 3, 2023

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Buenos días señores y señoras, this is ARA Admiral Sampaio:

In coordination with civil air services, the South American Combined Armada is authorizing logistical charter flights in support of naval aviation groups operating away from the restricted air space of the combat areas. The initial air operation will be focused on rearming the Brazilian NAeL Minas Gerais aircraft carrier and associated fleet, due to arrive at Puerto San Julian for immediate resupply. The charter is scheduled for 15 FEB 10 but there may be delays due to adverse weather.

Colombian authorities on the other side of the continent have been struggling to find ways of supporting their brethren who are being attacked far to the south, and this sort of material support is a perfect opportunity for them to get involved. They have assembled approximately 11,000 kg of mixed munitions and equipment, as well as a small Colombian Marine company, who are prepared for transport south out of El Dorado International Airport (SKBO) near Bogotá, Colombia. An Airbus 320 aircraft sub-chartered from Avianca SA airlines will be tasked with ferrying those passengers and cargo 5,000 km (2,700 nmi) to Commandant Espora Airport (SAZB) near Bahía Blanca. There the aircraft will refuel and take on an additional critical cargo as well as replacement sailors and air crew who are staging at the nearby Puerto Belgrano Naval Base, HQ of Argentinian Naval Aviation. These airports are both fairly large with 3,800 m (12,467 ft) and 2,616 m (8,583 ft) runways available respectively, and remain fully operational.

The second leg will be to fly 1,250 km (650 nmi) to Capitán José Daniel Vazquez Airport (SAWJ), also known as Puerto San Julián Airport or San Julián Airport. It is an airport serving Puerto San Julián, a town on San Julian Bay in the Santa Cruz Province of Argentina. The airport is 4 kilometres (2 mi) west of the town. During the 1982 Falklands War (Spanish: Guerra de las Malvinas/Guerra del Atlántico Sur), as San Julian is one of the nearest point to the islands, the city airfield was used by the Argentine Air Force. Two fighter squadrons, flying Daggers and A-4 Skyhawks, made 149 sorties against the British in the 45 days of operations. But enough of a history lesson: The concrete runway is 2,000 meters (6,562 ft), which should support A320 landing and take-off. There is a steep ravine on the south side of the west end of the runway. Runway 07 has an unusual narrow extension prior to the marked threshold, with a turnaround at the end. If used for takeoff, the runway length available would be extended to 2,400 metres (7,900 ft). This extension might hypothetically support 737 and 747 flight operations if required, but this would require further review. The San Julian VOR-DME (Ident: SJU) is located on the field.

After off-loading all passengers and material, the A320 will then refuel and return to El Dorado International Airport (SKBO), which at 6,000 km (3240 nmi) is right at the edge of the aircraft's range. Be aware that there is a contingent of civilian passengers at Puerto San Julian airport who are fleeing the conflict area and are requesting air transport to Bogota, Colombia. Allowing them to board will complicate the return mission. SACA will not take responsibility for refugees and leaves such matters in the hands of the civil air authorities, the Avianca SA corporation, and ultimately the pilots themselves.

I encourage any pilot willing to undertake this charter to contact Avianca SA, in coordination with Air Mobility Officer Lt. Patricio Crab, and file a flight report once the charter is completed.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 3, 2023

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Mederlock posted:

Logistics and Supply

Brigadier General Humberto, EA here, we have some decisions to make in terms of keeping our brave soldiers on the front fed and flush with ammunition. I propose using the junction of HWY 255 and HWY 257 as the site for our main supply base at the divisional level for the Front, satellite footage indicates pre-existing civilian material laydowns and adequate areas for supply yards at this location. We will utilize the Norberto Fernández International Airport (SAWG) in Rio Gallagos as the primary airport to bring in supplies, and utilize civilian and military ground transport to shuttle materiel to the Supply Base provisionally dubbed "Bag of Holding". We will utilize the dirt aerodrome SCTH Tres Chorillos(https://metar-taf.com/airport/SCTH-tres-chorrillos-airport#runways) for rotary wing logistics support towards our Western flank, and I ask our aviation experts to evaluate the possibility of using C-130's out of this aerodrome if runway conditions and length allows. The paved roads between Rio Gallagos and Punta Arenas allow for travel at highway speeds, and the positioning at the highway junction allows limited supplies such as food and ammunition to be ferried across the Strait using any civilian ferry's still available. E: We will also task rotary wing flights to deliver supplies from SB "Bag of Holding" to Franco Bianco.

I present the proposed plan, and recent satellite footage of the proposed location for Supply Base "Bag of Holding"

Feedback

Time is short, we have less than a day to settle on a plan for the logistics for ground operations in the near term. If anyone has any feedback or wants to illuminate any opportunities missed or blindspots ignored, :justpost:

The plan looks solid to me. The proposed supply base "Bolsa de Tenencia" is approximately 62 km (40 mi) from Rio Gallegos via a paved two lane highway (HWY 3), and the international airport there has the largest runway in the country - as long as we can keep it open. There's also a major port. I can anchor the Argentinian surface fleet off the coast there to provide a degree of naval protection. Flying C-130s in and out of Tres Chorillos (SCTH) would be tricky - the runway is grass and only 785 m (2,575 ft), which is less than the minimum length restriction; you'd need a light cargo and a hotshot pilot to attempt it, so it would likely be better to rely on the airport in Rio Gallegos for C-130s and other medium fixed wing aircraft.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

This naval intel brief is amazing and I look forward to responding to it in more detail once I’ve had my duly required nap. Thank you for doing this!

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Yooper posted:

Attn : Admiral Ileana Maria Sampaio

As the resident CMO Nerd, this is a brief on the capabilities of your forces. I have modelled two of the three Chinese surface groups using best intel.

In a nutshell, you vastly outnumber the Chinese forces with obsolete and extremely vulnerable ships. Your fleets are more geared with projecting power against neighboring countries than projecting it against a superpower.

The first thing to note is the large red ring around the Chinese fleets. This is the maximum range of the YJ-83 Anti Ship Missile. Just the 1st PLAN Fleet can launch 64 of these in a mass salvo. We have no comparable weapon with that much range, nor do we have enough SAM's capable of interdicting that wall of SSM's. Even worse, there are zero CIWS (C-Whizz) systems to do terminal interception. (think the Minion looking gatling gun on US Navy Ships). Without effective air interdiction the Chinese fleet can stroll up to 99nm, launch a mass barrage of SSM's, and simply walk away without our fleets ever firing a shot.

Admiral Ileana Maria Sampaio
South American Combined Armada

Thank you once again for your diligence in generating this tactical estimate. Given our dire situation, SACA will be heavily dependent on clear and cogent analysis. It is clear that a direct surface warfare attack on any of the three PLAN naval groups is out of the question - even if our armada was capable of surviving the exchange, it seems unlikely that our alliance would survive the casualties. It is my belief that maintaining a fleet in being to ward off an overwhelming Chinese offensive, while leveraging our air power assets to relieve our ground forces and throw back the enemy, represents the best strategy for victory.

With that objective, I intend for our combined armada to pursue the following tactics:

The Chilean fleet shall interdict the Patagonian Archipelago, damaging the offensive on Punta Arenas and forcing the 2nd PLAN fleet to either commit to entering the fjords or stay in the relative safety of the Drake Passage. The western coast represents excellent defensive submarine territory for the CNS O'Higgins, which can hide within the littoral thermocline and then freely dive off the continental shelf. In combination with the often tempestuous sea state of the area, we shall make our southern shores a thorny nut to crack.

The Argentinean fleet shall protect the critical logistical area of Rio Gallegos and be available to support our forces in the Tierra del Fuego area of operations. In coordination with the standing P3 Orion patrols, it will stay well within range of shore-based air power and constitute an active tripwire against the 1st PLAN fleet. Chinese submarines operating in the area will remain a threat, but they will also need to contend with the shallow basin that extends all the way to las Islas Malvinas, as well as King Air ASW patrols that have been moved into place at Piloto Civil Norberto Fernández Airport in Rio Gallegos.

The Brazilian fleet, once rearmed and returned to fully operational status, and in coordination with the submarine raiders ARA San Juan and Tikuna under the command of Cpt. Krawczyk, will act as a pinning force against the 3rd PLAN fleet operating near Islas Malvinas - making them either sail east to defend their vulnerable merchant marine ships, sail west to defend against naval aviation attacks against their base, or split their group up.

Military intelligence has identified a variety of potential targets of interest, as well as recorded a submarine sighting off the coast of Santa Cruz Provincia. While the admiralty is reviewing that information, I ask you and the other staff officers to offer comment on the best courses of action for responding to these tracks and pursuing the strategies outlined. In particular, I would appreciate a tactical appraisal of our subsurface vulnerabilities and strengths.

Moving forward.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Oct 5, 2023

Kaal
May 22, 2002

After military intelligence reviewed the MI6 social media intercepts, there has a been a consensus reached that PLA forces are operating in the vicinity of Goose Green, Islas Malvinas. The messages refer to occupying soldiers and feature imagery of what appears to be an early warning radar (identified as part of a SA-10 or SA-20 SAM system) and Chinese merchant marine ships (type unconfirmed). Any air attack on the island will need to contend with this threat. The town images feature a road that runs along the coastline, probably to the SW based on the sunset light. There's a picket-fenced building nearby, and perhaps a trash pit or rubble. Based on this, it may be estimated that the EWR, which is adjacent to new buildings, is sited approximately 51°49'47.7"S 58°58'13.0"W: https://maps.app.goo.gl/KRqVKQB3i7GgnQWG8

If the small island that is featured in the background of all the pictures is the same one, then that would place the PLAN ships anchorage slightly to the SE of Goose Green, near Hare Island. This anchorage, if confirmed, would constitute a prime logistical target. The moon in the background, which set in the west on 10 FEB 10 a few hours after these photos were sent, would seem to confirm that the island is due west of the ships, or approximately 51°49'58.0"S 58°57'43.9"W https://maps.app.goo.gl/r9RCoSbCmtgmd2AQ8

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-300_missile_system

Steak posted:

That looks like an Early Warning Radar behind that warehouse there.

Not sure the significance of these boats. Maybe some of the naval intelligence people can find these useful?

The P3 Orion imagery of the suspected Chinese submarine loitering off the coast of Santa Cruz Provincia is concerning. There is active debate amongst the intelligence officers over the nature of the sighting. After being cleaned up by naval intelligence, the ship may be tentatively identified as a Song Type-039 SSK (diesel electric submarine). This recognition is based on the following elements: The pilot report description, the bubbling of the snorkel used by conventional subs, the shape and placement of the sail and diving wings, the distinctive tear-dropped hull shape, the relative size of the ship as compared to the shadow of the P3, and the reported inventory of the PLAN. Smaller and quieter than the nuclear submarines favored by NATO, SSKs are known operate effectively in shallow waters but may be restricted by the topography if discovered while surfaced to replenish their batteries. Depth charges and torpedoes may be particularly effective against them in these conditions. This contact may be a threat and merits a military response.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_039_submarine

Initial Remarks on the four contacts identified by P3 aerial surveillance:

First Contact: Possible oil tanker, unknown origin. Detected at: 52° 2.011'S, 78° 14.630'W, course NW (290°) - Chilean tankers, bulk carriers, and ferries operate regularly in this area, and some of the smaller ones even navigate the archipelago in order to service Puerto Natales. Given its distance 234 km (126 nmi) and heading, it appears to be leaving the conflict zone and is likely not a threat.

Second contact: Possible fishing ship. Detected at: 55° 22.724'S, 75° 4.611’W, course SSE (200°). Patagonian fisheries employ tens of thousands of industrial and artisanal fishing vessels that ply the area in search of Chilean sea bass and other seafood. Given its distance 316 km (171 nmi) and heading, it appears to be leaving the conflict zone and is likely not a threat.

Third contact: Frigate, unknown origin or class. Detected at: 55° 49.332'S 73° 3.569’W, course NNW (330°). The 2nd PLAN fleet is known to include Luhu Type 052 destroyer frigates, and this may be one attempting to enter the archipelago via an inlet near Isla Furia in order to protect the PLAN resupply route with its air radar and SAMs. This contact may be a threat and merits a military response.

Fourth contact: At least 3 unknown type ships. Detected at: 53° 41.320'S, 72° 8.093’W, sitting still. The 2nd PLAN fleet is known to include Tarantula Project 1241 missile corvettes and Hainan Type 037 patrol corvettes. Given their position at the entry to the Magellan Strait, and proximity to the PLAGF offensive, these ships may constitute a defensive blockade. This contact may be a threat and merits a military response.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_052_destroyer
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_037_corvette
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarantul-class_corvette

Kaal fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 5, 2023

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Air Tasking Order (13 FEB 10): ELINT Aerial Surveillance of Punta Arenas / Tierra del Fuego

Aircraft: 1 x Beechcraft King Air
Mission Distance: 762 km

Description: A recon flight is needed to surveil two (2) sites of interest in the Punta Arenas / Tierra del Fuego region.

Site 01 is a group of enemy ground units that are massing near the PLAGF limit of advance in Tierra del Fuego. ELINT records of the area will provide CSAD and the Argentine army with necessary information for confronting this mounting threat. In order to maximize surveillance quality, entry into restricted air space over the Straits of Magellan is temporarily authorized. While the flight path is believed to be non dangerous, be aware that enemy SAM activity has been recorded to the southwest near Porvenir. Do not deviate south or west from the flight path.

Site 02 is a group of suspected enemy corvettes. Previous surveillance could not determine type or disposition. Detailed reconnaissance is required to determine the nature of the threat. Travel to the recon site - be aware that navigation beacons may disabled due to war fighting, so the flight path follows recognizable landmarks. Follow the rivers and use long-distance photography to surveil the fjords and identify any contacts. The ships are likely armed with MANPADS, but undetected weaponry is possible - maintain at least a 25 km distance from the contacts. Avoid restricted air space to the east while entering and exiting the area.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 6, 2023

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Air Tasking Order (13 FEB 10): Maritime Anti-Submarine Warfare Patrol

Aircraft: 1 x Beechcraft King Air
Mission Distance: 763 km

Description: A recon flight is needed to surveil two (2) sites of interest in Tierra del Fuego and the South Argentine Sea

Addendum: Due to inclement weather, the King Air aircraft was rerouted to Puerto Natales (Teniente Julio Gallardo Airport SCNT). That aircraft will need to be ferried to Rio Gallegos either prior to, or as part of, this ATO.

Site 11 is a heliport for PLAGF Mi-8 Hip medium helicopters in Tierra del Fuego. ELINT records of the area will provide CSAD and the Argentine army with necessary information for confronting this mounting threat. Also be on the lookout for a PLAN Amphibious Marine BDE believed to be operating in the area. While the flight path is believed to be non dangerous, be aware that the enemy limit of advance is considered to extend east from the northeastern tip of Tierra del Fuego. Do not deviate south of the flight path.

Site 12 denotes a submarine periscope sighting. Previous surveillance could not determine type or disposition. P3 Orion photography indicated that the contact was potentially a PLAN Type 039 SSK, PLAN Type 093 SSN, or even a USS Los Angeles SSN. Detailed reconnaissance is required to determine the nature of the threat. The Argentinean Fleet and friendly merchant marine shipping depends on aerial recon to defend against submarine attack. Overfly the contact point and perform maritime ASW surveillance, then continue a slow orbit of the South Argentine Sea to the mouth of the Rio Santa Cruz before returning to base.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 6, 2023

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Vahakyla posted:

Admiral Sampaio,

Your fleets are at their destinations, check the map. Brazilian fleet is under refit in Puerto San Julian, estimated to require three total days to refit its air wing and to maintain its readiness, being ready on the 17th of February at 0600hrs, if it receives 30 standard sized intermodal containers or their equivalent in smaller cargo containers of aviation maintenance tools and communications equipment by the late evening of 14th. How will you get them there? This will enable timely refit of the 21 A-4s of the air wing.

In addition, your Argentine Navy P-3 patrols in the west are unable to be maintained for longer than one more day due to only having two planes who take turns and need maintenance. Where do you want to base these P-3s from?

Rio Gallegos is the current destination for the civilian charters and unable to accept any more maintenance. If the P-3s head there, you need more maintenance support there.

No new sonar or sub or radar contacts, besides the Type 072 ships detailed in the intel post above this one.
The periscope contact is gone, the P-3s lost it.

Congratulations to the Argentinean fleet on reaching its combat station off the coast of Rio Gallegos. They are advised to be on the lookout for the 2nd PLAN fleet as well as enemy submarines, to protect the critical freighter traffic, and to prepare their helicopters for ASW patrols if possible. Similar plaudits are given to the hardworking crews aboard the Brazilian fleet trying to bring their ships into readiness. Efforts are being made to transport the required supplies into Puerto San Julian as soon as possible, and serious conversations will be had within leadership regarding that issue. The Chilean fleet is ordered to disperse its surface warfare ships to blockade the Strait of Magellan, and to have its A-4 Skyhawks undergo final readiness workups in preparation for a potential air strike on the enemy PLAN corvettes and landing ships located at Site 02 near Punta Arenas. Their mettle may soon be tested.

The Argentine Navy P3 Orions are ordered to be based at the nearby Teniente Julio Gallardo Airport (SCNT) in Puerto Natales. The 1,764 m (5,787 ft) asphalt runway should provide sufficient for their aircraft. In addition to highway access to El Calafate, the city has port access to the western Chilean coast - with ferries and small bulk carriers providing regular service to the city from Puerto Montt via the Patagonian Archipelago. The mixture of logistical support and a naval heritage should make this a good maritime base on the west coast.

Finally, the brave sailors aboard the three submarines are ever in our thoughts. Their hunt for enemy shipping and other targets of opportunity remains critical to our effort. To this end, the CNS O'Higgins is directed to INTERCEPT the Frigate contact, which is believed to be a PLAN Type 052 that may be attempting to enter Cockburn Canal or Barbara Canal. Chinese forces may not be aware of the danger of attempting these canals without trained local pilots. The western Barbara Channel has significant length and draught restrictions that will only barely permit passage of a Type 052 or similar. The channels are considered even more difficult to exit than to enter, particularly at dark or low tide. If the unknown Frigate is struggling to enter or exit that area, they may be particularly vulnerable to attack. The CNS O'Higgins is advised to remain in proximity to the continental shelf, where their ability to hide in the littorals and yet escape to the depths is maximized.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Oct 8, 2023

Kaal
May 22, 2002

The admiralty put together a compilation of some of the available airstrips and airports in our region. Some of them are little ones with dirt runways that are used by the oil and gas folks, others are municipal airports that service the surrounding region. Dispersing our aircraft may be a good opportunity to spread out our logistical load and reduce the impact of a Chinese air strike or cruise missile attack. Many fighter aircraft are capable of operating in more austere places with shorter runways than the larger cargo or utility aircraft, but they also need to be close enough to the front line to make a difference. If a balance can be found, hopefully SCAD Gen. Scholz will permit naval aviation the use of Puerto Natales. If not, then the Argentine P3s could be based at El Calafate or the empty O'Higgins Airbase.

Chilean frontline:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posesi%C3%B3n_Airport
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerro_Castillo_Airport
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punta_Arenas_Sandra_Scabini_Airport

Argentine backline:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capit%C3%A1n_Jos%C3%A9_Daniel_Vazquez_Airport
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Cruz_Airport_(Argentina)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gobernador_Gregores_Airport
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonia_Las_Heras_Airport
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perito_Moreno_Airport
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puerto_Deseado_Airport

Secondly, we have a number of logistical assets to make use of including 30 truck-laden containers (likely the military standard 20' RORO ISO containers, but the world of "standardized containers" is super complex), a C-17 Globemaster III on a 48 hour assignment, a potential Fedex 747 contract, and a variety of flight charter options with local airlines. I agree that prioritizing the modern aircraft with supplies makes perfect sense - the F-16s are needed immediately and are most likely to be effective. It may be possible that we can source additional supplies from the surrounding region if we move them by air freight. The standard military pallet is the 463L, which is slightly smaller than the civilian equivalent of the AAA. After researching the matter, naval logistics reports that the US military considers 18x 463Ls to be equivalent to 8x 20' ROROs in terms of bulk - this being the cargo capacity of a C-17. So we essentially need 68 AAA / 463L pallets. This would be approximately 4 C-17s, 9 737-700Cs, 10 BAE 146s, 6 A320 freighters, 7 737-800s, or 2 747-400s. Range would be dependent on the weight and other factors. If we can make use of the cargo aircraft that we have available, then perhaps we can have our maté and drink it too. If not, then the best thing to do would be to prioritize the land-based aircraft and wait for our cargo ships to catch up with our fleets.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

In recognition of the serious logistical limitations being faced by the SACA and the larger military response, naval logistics has examined the major supply routes and offers this summary report:

The areas of Southern Chile and Southern Argentina are fairly isolated, but a variety of significant cargo routes do exist. While the occupation of the Tierra del Fuego has limited our access to the largest ports and airports of the region, secondary infrastructure remains available. The principal overland travel options are the Argentinean highways RN40 in the west and RN3 along the eastern coast, which both meet in Río Gallegos. These twin highways, which each contend to be the southernmost extension of the Pan-American Highway, offer reliable connections to the major South American cities in the north.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Route_40_(Argentina)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Route_3_(Argentina)

These overland routes are paralleled by sea cargo routes along each of the coasts. The nearest western depot is the Chilean Puerto Montt Naval Base, regional headquarters of their fifth military district. The eastern depot is found at the Argentinean Puerto Belgrano Naval Base, headquarters and arsenal of the Argentine Navy. With these facts in mind, and cognizant of our need to reduce logistical overhead, I order our western and eastern supply fleets to be REBASED out of these respective regional headquarters. Their inventories will be sorely needed by our supply fleets, which departed from Lima and Rio de Janeiro.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Belgrano_Naval_Base
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puerto_Montt

In addition to these road and sea-going cargo connections, our forces may be able to make use of the Rio Turbio Railway - an industrial single-track line connecting the only Argentinean coal mine with the export terminals near Río Gallegos. While this railway was negatively impacted by the privatizations of the 1990s, unlike most of its fellows it remained in operation. A small number of Romanian and Bulgarian BDŽ class 76/77 diesel-electric locomotives carry thousands of tons of coal ore along its length each year, and the line has been continuously updated. While several efforts have been made over the years to re-invest in the line and expand its operations, they have generally failed due to a lack of economic incentives. But given that the railway runs parallel along our strategic lines, between Puerto Natales and Puerto Rio Gallego, perhaps the Turbio Railway's time has come again.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rio_Turbio_Railway

Kaal fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 9, 2023

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Bentai posted:

Another day, another cargo flight. Route said Bogota to Bahía Blanca in Argentina, by way of a Bolivian fuel stop in Cochabamba. We are loaded pretty heavily for what should usually be a fairly easy non-stop flight. The dispatcher's choice of Cochabamba for the fuel stop is going to be tough, as it's a high altitude city, surrounded by even taller mountains. Oh and the flight dispatch also noted the ILS is out, and there's thunderstor--

Captain Santos took over. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pFT7VwnqMA

Sorry. But hey, we made it!

This was all so much fun to follow along with! I really enjoyed your post. It's great to see the sims in action, as well as to better understand how all the components come together to create a successful flight.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Mederlock posted:

General of the Combined Armies, SCAD

My gut feeling is that you're right about moving the tank regiment over to the Y-65 line. Moreso because the mechanized infantry will likely fail at holding without their assistance, especially with the artillery being temporarily out of action and unable to support them. Does anybody else have feedback on that move before I draw up a final plan?

The plan makes sense to me. Moving the tanks west will make them less capable of responding to an attack to the east, where it seems likely that the missing PLAN amphibious brigade is operating, but they seem sorely needed by our infantry - particularly with the possible establishment of a PLAGF supply base in that area. Moving the tanks into better terrain seems worthwhile. The artillery ammunition crisis at Franco Bianco does seem vital - with the sea link not able to keep up, additional air resupply appears crucial. As parachute airdrops or helicopter resupply currently appear unavailable (the only helicopters I've heard about are a couple utility helos aboard the carriers), the C-130s seem like the only tool in your toolbox. Flying in and out of the airport at Franco Bianco will be very dangerous - it's only 22 km from the PLAGF LOA at its nearest points, which is within SHORAD range. Doing so concurrently with our air operations, as Gen. Shulz recommends in Operación Comida Rápida, appears to be the best option.

Gridlocked posted:

Combined Air Combat Command - SCAD

Regarding the F-16A MLU's think we'd ALL love to have them. Maybe they could also live in Santa Cruz if needed, else I am happy to make arrangements of the required matiance equipment and associated crewing to be moved to the current home of Panther in El Calafate.

Vahakyla posted:

The 30 container choice for Negostrike will mean the difference of getting 4 additional F-16 MLUs or having the Brazilian fleet get its Air Wing of A-4s maintained.

Otherwise the fleet will sail out of Puerto San Julian at the end of maintenance period without being properly able to use its air wing.

It would appear the choice for our commander seems stark. Having additional F-16s would be useful to our air defense capabilities and provide an immediate boost to our inventory - but the cost of effectively disabling one of our two available carrier fleets would be very high. A-4s are most effective as strike fighters, with only a limited air-to-air capability, but their presence allows the carrier fleet to operate independently and ward off the 1st and 3rd PLAN fleets. Given that we are already facing airport limitations on land, I don't think that four F-16A MLUs add more capability overall than 21 A-4s plus their attendant carrier and surface warfare ships. With that in mind, I recommend that supreme commander Gen. Carlos direct the 30 containers of munitions to the waiting NAel Minais Gerais in Puerto San Julián.

With respect to air commander Gen. Schulz, I strongly sympathize with the difficult logistical limitations you are being faced with. Both the Brazilian and Chilean fleets have been struggling with supply issues as well, not to mention the ill-fated British fleet marooned to our north, and there simply is not enough to go around. It is my hope that straightening out sea, truck, train, and air cargo deliveries will reduce these issues for all of us. I recommend dispersing your air forces - particularly to the Santa Cruz airport and the Posesión, Cerro Castillo, and Sandra Scabini airstrips - in the hope that this will help to relieve those issues, permit quicker sortieing, and reduce the risk of air strikes. Apart from that, I would support your plans for Operación Escalpelo. Destroying the MEAD system would enable a much more vigorous air defense of our beleaguered ground forces in Tierra del Fuego. However, I would only pursue this course with the support and counsel of your flight leads. If they don't believe this attack is possible, I would recommend devoting those air assets to support Operación Comida Rápida - suppressing enemy Mi-8 helicopters, Strela SAMs, and J-7 aircraft should be much more possible outside the 40+ kilometer range of the CH-SA-16 Buk, or east of the First PLAGF Mech BDE.

Elendil004 posted:

Happy to take requests for other flights to gather data with the RC-12 guardrail. It would be cool to check out fjords but realistically getting shot down is not my idea of a good time.

That SA-16 can reach out and touch us if we get too close

Might be worth trying to HARM it especially if we operate on the NW edge of its envelope.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 9, 2023

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Some food for thought. Certainly both Finland and Italy have faced war rationing throughout their history:

quote:

"Food strategy was no mere domestic matter, and a scramble between the United Nations for supplies would be disastrous. Combined Food Board machinery had therefore been set up to prevent competitive buying of foodstuffs in short supply and remove any grievance that one country was going short while there was a surplus elsewhere."

William Mabane, the Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Food, May 1943

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Food_Board
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Shipping_Administration

Kaal fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 9, 2023

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Initial Strike Plan for 15FEB10: Operación Dragón

With the carrier ARA Veinticinco de Mayo now in position, it is time to order an air strike on PLA forces in the area in order to interdict reinforcements of their Puntas Arenas offensive. The first attack will be against a group of ships that are blockading the Strait of Magellan and protecting their supply lines. Recon got emissions from one Tarantul-class ship and detected at least seven different ships. Crew aboard the RC-12 are almost sure the remaining ships were Type 072A landing ships. However, Type 037 patrol ships are known to operate in the area and would not emit. As they departed the patrol area, several J-7 patrols appeared. This area is designated Site02.

Strike Plan: A flight of four A-4 Skyhawks will take off from the ARA Veinticinco de Mayo approximately 120 km / 65 nmi to the WNW of Site02, fly down the Strait of Magellan using the Córdoba Peninsula for radar cover, pop out of the valley and destroy the Tarantul and associated landing ships (designated Target A), then proceed northeast to regroup. Note that PLAN amphibious forces may have occupied the nearby Whale Sound Eco Camp on Isla Carlos III and set up a checkpoint with MANPADs. This is designated Target B. As the hills to the east of Target A are approximately 750 m (2500 ft) above the valley floor, the nearby Rio Batchelor may offer a protected exit route to the east. Once the flight has regrouped, either a second strike may then be ordered by the flight leader via the Jerome Channel, or the Skyhawks will proceed WNW and leave Site02. Once the strike is complete, the flight will return to the carrier.

https://en-us.topographic-map.com/map-wgqznx/Isla-Carlos-III/?center=-53.36367%2C-72.61139&base=2&zoom=9

Notes: Airspace to the east and south is contested. PLAAF J-7 Fishcan fighters have been detected in the area. If additional A-4 Skyhawks are available, or in coordination with SCAD Air Command, it may be prudent to organize a CAP to defend against this response. This initial strike plan will be distributed to the flight leader and pilots for review and development.

Tarantul Armament
4 × P-15 Termit/SS-N-2 Styx or 4 × P-270 Moskit/SS-N-22 Sunburn or 16 × Kh-35 Uran/SS-N-25 Switchblade anti-ship missiles.
1 SA-N-5 SAM (1x4) MANPAD air defence missiles
1 × 76 mm AK-176 dual purpose main gun
2 × AK-630 30 mm gun or 1 × CADS-N-1 Kashtan CIWS (Close-in weapon system) for air defence

Type 037 Armament
4 × Chinese Type 66 57 mm (2.2 in) guns (2 × 2)
2 × AK-230 30 mm (1.2 in) AA guns
4 × RBU-1200 ASW mortars
2 × depth charge rails with 18 depth charges

Kaal fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Oct 10, 2023

Kaal
May 22, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_mCf0mL9IE

Speaking of signups, come fly with us!

We're looking for some volunteer pilots to join us in defending Freedom, Justice, and the South American way! Some 40 goons will fly a plot-heavy campaign in South America in 2010 as a combined Latin American Air Force Coalition while playing Digital Combat Simulator (DCS World). Weekly main mission scheduled at 2000hrs Universal Time on Saturdays. The time and place means that these air forces lack many modern airplanes, and are limited in their weapon selection, with some exceptions such as the Chilean F-16 Vipers.

Our carriers and airfields are filled with A-4 Skyhawks and SU-25T Frogfoots - potent strike fighters that want to take to the skies. One could be yours! We currently have slots open on the roster to fly one of these aircraft in the next fight, and we need you! You don't need to be experienced, and you're welcome to bring a friend! Interactive training missions and detailed manuals are available for all the modules, and there are excellent written guides and tutorial videos created by the community. If you like flight simulators you are most likely in the right place. As some of our supportive flight leaders say:

Snapshot posted:

The bar is officially below landing. If you can crash in the general direction of the airfield, you’re good enough. Of course recovering the aircraft is a good goal.

Vahakyla posted:

There's all kinds of roles. Air Battle Managers, JTACs, pilots, planners, etc. All kinds of flying poo poo and tangential roles are available. There are goons who have played for years, never even owning a single DCS airplane. Lots of tools are free, and the LotATC battle management and ATC software is server-side license on our dime as to not put costs on the user. An armada of goons are willing to teach you any and all aspects of military aviation.

https://i.imgur.com/lDkqJ0h.mp4

What do you need to join the fight? While our advanced pilots employ the latest VR hardware and accessories to achieve a remarkable simulation experience, novice pilots will find that the requirements for joining are quite reasonable:

DCS World (free): https://store.steampowered.com/app/223750/DCS_World_Steam_Edition/
The South Atlantic DLC (paid): https://store.steampowered.com/app/2017210/DCS_South_Atlantic/
Either a joystick or gaming controller

That's it! Come Sail the Seven Seas with us as a naval aviator in a A-4 Skyhawk (free), or Fly, Fight, and Win with the combined air forces of South America in an SU-25T Frogfoot (also free). The A-4 has particularly strong support for gamepads, and we've got lots of them available. Our helpful flight leaders are available on AirGoons Discord to assist you into the cockpit: https://discord.gg/airgoons

Here's an example of the game in action, as demonstrated by one of our expert naval aviators:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVzqsoV3uqU

Want more information? Check out these recruiting posts for earlier campaigns: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3989829#post520446777
The DCS Thread is here if you wanna check out the game itself: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3633891
Air Goons Wiki for our nerdery writing and lots of the concepts and explanations of air combat: https://www.airgoons.com/w/Main_Page

Kaal fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 12, 2023

Kaal
May 22, 2002

The combined strike plan against PLAN assets operating near Puntas Arenas has been reviewed and is now finalized. Flights Ford 1 and 2 (5x A-4 Skyhawks operating from the ARA Veinticinco de Mayo) will attack Site02 (a group of landing ships guarded by at least one Tarantul corvette with MANPADs and likely some Type 037 corvettes with AA guns). Flight Pontiac 1 (2x M2000C Mirages from the Rio Turbio Airport) will maintain a CAP nearby. The corvette CNS Isaza will support the strike via the Magellan Strait.

Be aware there's been sightings of PLAF J-7 Fishcans operating in the area. Site02 is a group of PLAN corvettes and landing craft. There's at least one Tarantul corvette with MANPADs at Site02, which is the priority target for Ford 1. The landing craft ships will be the target for Ford 2. Pontiac 1 will be armed with both semi-active radar missiles (FOX1) and infrared missiles (FOX2), and will be loitering approximately 30 nmi from Site02 and able to intercept enemy fighters within seconds. However, with J-7s having high speed it will require coordination with the Air Battle Managers (ABMs) to be vectored quickly in order to react in time to protect the bomb-laden A-4s. Fortunately, multiple ABMs have been assigned, with one focusing on CAP and the other on CAS.

Weather: Altimeter 29.41 Winds are 075 for 10. Scattered clouds at 9000. Temp 11 Celcius

Ford 1 Flight Lead: Sauerdot
Ford 2 Flight Lead: Jerik
Estimated Distance: 280 km / 150 nmi
ARA Veinticinco de Mayo (VOR: VCM, TACAN 25X). Divert will be Puerto Natales SCNT (VOR: PNT, TACAN: 26X)
A-4 Skyhawk Loadout: Mk-82, MK-84, 300 Gal Bag, Mk-84, Mk-82

Pontiac 1 Flight Lead: Prawned
Estimated Distance: 450 km / 250 nmi
Rio Turbio SAWT (VOR: PNT, TACAN: 26X). Divert will be Puerto Natales SCNT (VOR: PNT, TACAN: 26X)
M2000C Mirage Loadout: Magic II, Super 530D, 340 Gal Bag, Super 530D, Magic II

The Chilean corvette CNS Aspirante Isaza is ordered to proceed SE along the Magellan Strait approximately 80 km / 45 nmi. At approximately 30 knots this will take them about 1.5 hours to complete their journey. Their role will be to clear the strait of any small craft, support the air strike as they are needed, and secure Site02 once the PLAN forces have been eliminated. Once the attack is successful, additional surface warfare ships may be ordered into the area to blockade the Jerome Channel and threaten the Puntas Arenas supply routes via the Magdalena Channel.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 6, 2024

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Congratulations all on the tough-fought successes during the recent combat operations. The destruction of the PLAN surface warfare and landing ships in the western AO have destabilized their offensive near Punta Arenas, and given us a much-needed opportunity to strike back against the invaders. Our A-4 Skyhawks, with the much-appreciated assistance from M2000C Mirages, were quite successful. While one naval aviator (Ford 2 flight lead Jerik) was forced to eject after suffering a last-minute hit from a sinking corvette, they were immediately picked up by the sailors aboard the CNS Aspirante Isaza and a fleet helicopter has been dispatched to return them to the ARA Veinticinco de Mayo. In addition, the CNS O'Higgins has netted a successful kill of a PLAN frigate in the southern AO, while the NAel Minais Gerais reports that rapid resupply will allow them to soon join the war.

However, the fight continues in the Western AO and ground forces in particular have sounded the alarm. We need to give them our support. I have marked the following maps with a variety of points, with red indicating priority targets. As naval intelligence suspected, PLAN Marines have occupied the Whale Sound Eco Camp on Isla Carlos III (W2) and are establishing a Silkworm anti-ship missile site there. They have also moved a naval frigate into the area with both MEAD and anti-ship capability (W4). This has slowed our interdiction offensive, and presents us with a strategic dilemma. While Isla Carlos III (W2) merits an immediate air strike by A-4s, followed by occupation of the region with our own Chilean marine forces, the navy also needs to choose between assisting the beleaguered ground troops on Punta Arenas or pushing our way into the enemy supply route. If we split off some of our frigates from our carrier, we can secure Isla Carlos while also either pressuring the Magellan Strait in a SUPPLY ATTACK or sailing through the Jerome Channel and offering direct FIRE SUPPORT. We are quite close to their Magdalena supply line and might be able to successfully blockade it and force a realignment to defend Port Harris. On the other hand, with a 19 km / 10 nmi bombardment range our Condell and Leander frigates could enter the Otway Sound and provide overwhelming artillery support against the PLAGF mechanized brigades that have virtually no terrain cover in the "Ankle" of Punta Arenas. I will order our Argentinean P3 Orions to RECON west of the battlefield in the hopes that their intelligence will illuminate the situation.

Additionally, PLA forces at sites designated W3, W5, and W6 merit consideration by the wider SCAD community. The radar site (W3) has been targeted for a special forces assault, and once taken it should provide us with critical SIGINT. The artillery site (W6) is threatening ground reinforcements and resupply along Ruta 255 and merits immediate attack in order to allow those troops to move. And finally, while the Buk MEAD system (W5) was damaged it was not destroyed - though the threat is reduced for now, air command will need to gauge whether a follow-up strike can be authorized at this time.

W1: Three PLAGF Brigades at Punta Arenas
W2: PLAN Silkworm missile site at Isla Carlos III
W3: PLAN Air radar site at Vasquez Glacier
W4: PLAN Type 054 Frigate with MEAD
W5: Damaged PLA Buk SAM
W6: PLAGF Artillery Site

In the Southern AO, the submarine CNS O'Higgins was successful in sinking an enemy frigate and is currently avoiding surface contacts. I advise them to seek the depths of the continental shelf, and then continue HUNTING southeast along the PLA supply route (S1). Hopefully their presence will assist in interdiction efforts farther to the north, while also acting as a tripwire against any naval offensive from the PLAN 2nd Fleet (S2).

S1: Magdalena Channel Supply Route
S2: PLAN 2nd Fleet

To the Eastern AO, the rapid refitting of the NAel Minais Gerais carrier fleet will soon provide us with additional options to pressure the PLA forces. The initial strategy was to use the submarines ARA San Juan and Tikuna, in coordination with the Brazilian fleet, to pin the Chinese fleets against the Islas Malvinas and prevent them from assisting their ground invasion. However, the recent actions conducted by the British may have offered us new opportunities to go on the offensive. If we wish to maintain the pinning strategy of the fleet in being, we should order the Brazilians east in a NAVAL RAID. This option does not necessarily mean an air strike, but rather by positioning our fleet within striking range of PLAAF Mount Pleasant (E3) - no longer protected by the Green Goose radar station - we will force a reaction or punish them for indecision. Alternatively, we can sail the fleet south and perform CLOSE AIR SUPPORT of the Argentinean army forces protecting Tierra del Fuego (E1). With the PLA forces in the east already on the back foot, this may be a good opportunity for a CAS strike against the Mi-8s and PLAN Marine brigade operating along the coast. If so, the ARA San Juan should sail east and quietly INVESTIGATE the location of the PLAN 1st Fleet (E2), and if not then it should continue its HUNTING mission. Hopefully the Brazilian Air Force P3 Orion mission will provide intelligence that will assist in this decision.

E1: PLAN Marine Brigade at Tierra del Fuego
E2: PLAN 1st Fleet
E3: PLAAF Mount Pleasant Airbase

Kaal fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Oct 17, 2023

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Gridlocked posted:

Combined Air Combat Command – SCAD

Game Master Actions
Choice 1: I want to take the F-16C – a flight of C’s is going to be much more guaranteed a useful aircraft VS the J-11’s and SEAD capability is a godsend. This also means if need we will have Venom 2 ready to go if Venom 1 needs repair and refurbishment.

Choice 2: E-3s are to move south 10nm to provide a, hopefully, slightly better picture while remaining safe.

Choice 3: The SABER is to be placed this area here (pictured) to the north of the Western front, behind our line obviously, near La Reina in the elevated terrain on the eastern side of the provide satellite image - covered in as much camo as we can thrown on it and this should roughly provide coverage of the front for a better picture. Air Mobility Officer Taps – this is your time to shine.

Those seem like good plans to me. I agree with all of your strategic choices. The placement of the Air Force P3 sentries wasn't addressed specifically, but if you wanted to keep them operating off the coast of Rio Gallegos were they were previously, that works for me.

One suggestion I have is that since some pilots were reporting fuel shortages when they landed, it might be worth repositioning some aircraft. The MB-339 squadron at Puerto Natales didn't see action, nor did the MiG-29S (Colt) Squadron, and they could be moved to El Calafate and/or Santa Cruz as a reserve. The Cerro Castillo airstrip north of Rio Turbio could be a good Dispersed Operating Base (DOB) for the SU-25T (Chevy) Squadron, as the Soviet aircraft were renowned for their ability to operate on austere facilities. These actions might allow the F-16s of Panther and/or Venom squadron at El Calafate to move up to Puerto Natales - bringing them 150 km / 80 nmi closer to the front while maintaining our force dispersion.

Similarly in the eastern AO, the Bahía Posesión airstrip south of Rio Gallegos could be a good Forward Arming and Refueling Point (FARP) for the F-5s (Uzi) at Rio Gallegos (which are also short-runway capable) or other aircraft operating near Tierra del Fuego. However, its proximity to the frontline might limit its use to emergencies until we can push back the PLAGF.

Mederlock posted:

General of the Combined Armies, CSAD

As you may guess, this route *is* longer; Instead of an hour at highway speeds, it's a 3 hour trip on gravel roads. Until we can have something done about it, we're just going to have to live with the consequences. I'm going to task my HQ staff to investigate broadening our logistics network in the future, so we're not as vulnerable to this form of interdiction.

It would appear that your plans make the best of a bad situation. I agree that retreating to a better position would be your best option. I will note that even if naval artillery support can be provided from the Otway Sound, it will only be capable of reaching as far east as Ruta 9 / Laguna Cabeza de Mar. If a naval interdiction plan were pursued instead it would have a more overall effect, but would take longer to make an impact. Either way, the PLAGF 4th BDE will likely be capable of continuing its NE offensive towards your supply route. Any reinforcements in that area should expect to quickly make contact.

One logistical suggestion that comes to mind would be to leverage the Rio Turbio Railway to transport supplies from Rio Gallegos to Rio Turbio, and then south by Ruta 9. In combination with overland supplies from El Calafate and martime supplies from Puerto Natales, this may enable you to establish a more protected Punta Arenas supply route.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Oct 17, 2023

Kaal
May 22, 2002

After consultations with the command staff and considering the fullness of the military situation, the following orders are issued:

The Argentinean P3 Orion is dispatched to the Skyring Sound / Riesco Island area to RECON the Otway Sound and the Punta Arenas battlefield.
An A-4 STRIKE MISSION is ordered against the PLAN Isla Carlos III Silkworm site. Unfortunately, recent intel indicates that the Type 054 is capable of destroying any ships that sail in the vicinity of Isla Carlos. As a result, no further fleet movement is ordered until that threat is dealt with.

The CNS O'Higgins will continue its INTERDICTION of the PLAN Magellan supply route and proceed SE once it is safe from surface contacts.

The Argentinean fleet will continue patrolling the Rio Gallegos coast, in anticipation of the arrival of the "Sierra" cargo ship. Once resupplied, the Brazilian fleet will sail east, shielding the cargo route and threatening the region to the northwest of Islas Malvinas in a NAVAL RAID. The submarines ARA San Juan and Tikuna will continue their raiding activity, seeking PLA supply ships or other targets of opportunity.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Oct 18, 2023

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Air Tasking Order (16 FEB 10): ELINT Aerial Surveillance of Punta Arenas / Tierra del Fuego

Aircraft: 1 x Beechcraft RC-12 Guardrail
Mission Distance: 686 km / 370 nmi

Description: A recon flight is needed to surveil three (3) sites of interest in the Punta Arenas / Tierra del Fuego region.

Site 21 is a group of enemy artillery units in Tierra del Fuego that are attacking our supply routes along Ruta 255. ELINT records of the area will provide CSAD and the Argentine army with necessary information for confronting this mounting threat. Entry into restricted air space over the Straits of Magellan is not authorized. While the flight path is believed to be non dangerous, be aware that enemy SAM activity has been recorded to the southwest near Porvenir. Do not deviate south from the flight path.

Site 22 is a battlefield consisting of PLAGF brigades attacking the Punta Arenas line. Previous surveillance could not determine type or disposition. Detailed reconnaissance is required to determine the nature of the threat. The flight path is behind friendly MEAD, but be aware that enemy aircraft have been reported in the area. Listen to the Guard channel and be prepared for an immediate divert north if advised.

Site 23 is a company of PLAN marines who have set up anti-ship launchers on Isla Carlos III amidst the remains of the Whale Sound Eco Camp. A naval air strike is being prepared to clear the forces and secure the area. The enemy may be armed with MANPADS, but additional undetected weaponry is possible - maintain at least a 25 km distance from the site. Avoid restricted air space to the east while entering and exiting the area.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Oct 18, 2023

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Buenos días señores y señoras, this is ARA Admiral Sampaio:

In coordination with civil air services, the South American Combined Armada is authorizing logistical flights away from the restricted air space of the combat areas. After the success of the initial air operation charters that proved critical for the rearming of the A-4 Skyhawks aboard the NAeL Minas Gerais aircraft carrier, another charter has been organized.

Brazilian military authorities have been urgently trying to get their forces into the fight, and ensure that any Chinese offensive stays well away from their home territory. With this in mind, they have been coordinating the delivery of one of their latest military developments into the area of operations. The Brazilian SABER Radar is a project of the Brazilian Army, with the objective of developing 100% Brazilian technology air defense radars. They are being developed by CTEx (Army Technology Center) and produced by BRADAR, a Brazilian company part of Embraer Defense and Security group, with funds from the Ministry of Science and Technology. The tracking system can track both air and ground targets and has a range of up to 60 kilometers and up to 5,000 meters altitude. The radar system is unique in that it can be integrated into weapon systems or missile-based anti-aircraft guns.

This Early Warning Radar (EWR) is considered equivalent to a AN/TPS-44. The main components of the system are a shelter (where the three-person crew operates it) and the foldable antenna. These components are the two loads into which the system can be broken down, and packed into two M35 utility trucks (or equivalent) for road transport, or airlifted via helicopter or cargo plane. The weight of the SABER itself is only 200 kg, and it can be transported or operated in generic 6x6 trucks. However, the addition of the prime movers and assorted equipment is equivalent to 12400 kg plus the three crew. The volumetric requirement is approximately two ISO 20' RORO containers, or eight 463L pallets.

A Boeing 737-700 aircraft sub-chartered from Gol Transportes Aèreos airlines will be tasked with ferrying those passengers and cargo 3,700 km (2,000 nmi) from São Paulo, Brazil (SBGR) to El Calafate, Argentina (SAWC), where the vehicles will be disembarked and then drive south approximately five hours to their classified deployment site near Laguna del Toro, Chile. São Paulo/Guarulhos International Airport (SBGR) has a 3,700 m (12,139 ft) asphalt runway, and Comandante Armando Tola International Airport (SAWC) has a 2,649 m (8,688 ft) concrete runway available. Both airports have sufficient capacity to handle the aircraft and remain fully operational.

After off-loading all passengers and material, the Boeing 737-700 will then refuel and return to São Paulo/Guarulhos International Airport (SBGR). Be aware that there is a contingent of civilian passengers at El Calafate who are fleeing the conflict area and are requesting air transport to São Paulo, Brazil. Allowing them to board will complicate the return mission. SACA will not take responsibility for refugees and leaves such matters in the hands of the civil air authorities, the Avianca SA corporation, and ultimately the pilots themselves.

I encourage any pilot willing to undertake this charter to contact Gol Transportes Aèreos, in coordination with Air Mobility Officer Lt. Patricio Crab, and file a flight report once the charter is completed.

Delivery Flight Briefs / Digital Plans:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...cde9ab4c5f80c0&

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...023c6da3918329&

Return Flight Briefs:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...2c02c266ac4b89&

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...bbedf26fd1b034&

Kaal fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 20, 2023

Kaal
May 22, 2002

The central issue for the Tierra del Fuego contingent is that the ferry isn't sufficient for a logistics connection, and that's going to be true moving in either direction. It would certainly be worth figuring out how long it would take to withdraw them in part or in whole. That would be useful to know. Because if we have to attempt it while under fire, the army is going to come to pieces.

code:
Fueguino
Length: 70,6 mts.
Beam: 15,80 mts.
GRT: 656
Vehicular capacity: 65 cars up to 4,8 mts. long or 10 lorries up to 18 mts.
Passenger capacity: 184

Kaal fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Oct 21, 2023

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Good luck today pilots!

Kaal fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Oct 21, 2023

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Elendil004 posted:

Questions for someone smarter than me:

What are the anti-ship missile capabilities of the A4? Can we ripple off a large salvo at these lone frigates and destroyers and overwhelm their defenses?

Do we have any aircraft that can buddy tank?

Can/Do we order the "last" units at Franco Bianco to blow the runway before surrendering or retreating?

Are there any natural defensive barriers between the collapsed western front and either Rio Gallagos or the Puerto Natales area?

In real life A-4s carried TV guided AGM-62 Walleye glide bombs as their primary anti-ship weapon, and were also one of the first aircraft capable of buddy-tanking. Unfortunately, neither of these features are currently in DCS (the modders would need greater access to the code to implement them).

I’m not sure about blowing the runway - they could certainly disable it to some extent but honestly it’s difficult to keep a runway out of commission unless you’re just bombing it over and over. They just get bulldozed flat again.

The biggest natural border in that area is the Laguna del Toro, or Bull’s Lake, which the Chilean forces just were pushed back from. Beyond that is basically open country to the east of the Andes, with a couple of narrow, shallow rivers that often dip into the ground entirely. The first major feature is going to be the Lago Argentino (Argentine Lake) and the Rio Santa Cruz (Santa Cruz River), which is just north of El Calafate Airport.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

quote:

Yo en el fondo Del Mar

En el fondo del mar
hay una casa
de cristal.

A una avenida
de madréporas
da.

Un gran pez de oro,
a las cinco,
me viene a saludar.

Me trae
un rojo ramo
de flores de coral.

Duermo en una cama
un poco más azul
que el mar.

Un pulpo
me hace guiños
a través del cristal.

En el bosque verde
que me circunda
-din don... din don-
se balancean y cantan
las sirenas
de nácar verdemar.

Y sobre mi cabeza
arden, en el crepúsculo,
las erizadas puntas del mar.

Alfonsina Storni
Argentina (1892-1938)

English translation:
https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/arts/languagecentre/about/staff/salvador/spart/translations/yo_en_el_fondo_del_mar.pdf

Descanse en paz, Tikuna. You did all you could.

ARA San Juan, the sea is too rough. Return to station-keeping with the ARA Almirante Brown and the Argentine fleet and resume standard ASW fleet patrols.

Tupi, welcome to the fight. Report to the NAel Minais Gerais and the Brazilian fleet and establish standard ASW fleet patrols.

NAel Minais Gerais, you are to continue refit operations as you are able, but your deployment orders have been stayed pending further coordination with SCAD command. It is possible that your forces will be needed for an emergency withdrawal of troops from Tierra del Fuego.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Oct 23, 2023

Kaal
May 22, 2002

sebmojo posted:

this is actually very useful, is there space to add it to op?

I have zero chance of participating, my only sim experience is loading up DCS demo, admiring the buttons and flicking them, then steering majestically into a ditch. gonna watch with keen interest though!

We are looking for a forum-based Intelligence officer if you're interested in joining that way! We also need Air Battle Managers that direct pilots to their targets. There's lots of ways to join the fight if you get interested!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Buenos día, señoras y señores,

The invasion continues, and operational successes have been mixed. While the unfortunate sinking of the Tikuna and the ground force retreats in the Punta Arenas region (AO Bolt) have been greatly concerning for all, the small victories near Isla de Carlos and Tierra del Fuego, as well as news of reinforcements marshaling to the north, have been heartening indeed. Supply issues are beginning to tighten belts in the west, but it is believed that PLA forces are also beginning to feel the sting of continued logistical targeting. Supreme Commander Gen. Carlos has ordered the ground reinforcement of AO Bolt to stabilize that defense, while we turn our offensive attention to the Tierra del Fuego region (AO Arrow) in the hopes of throwing those PLA forces into disarray.

With those intentions in mind, these naval orders are to be carried out:

In the western AO, the CNS Aspirante Isaza is ordered to sail NW and REJOIN the Chilean fleet holding station in the Magellan Strait. The vicinity of Isla Carlos III has been cleared of PLAN forces, but the presence of a PLAN 054a frigate (W1) to our southeast blocks any further access to the Magellan for now. Due to concerns about that frigate gaining targeting information the Isaza, as well as PLAAF bombers operating in the Antarctic, the corvette should clear the area for now. If necessary, the ship can be made available to return to pick up the Chilean special forces team operating nearby at the Vasquez Glacier radar installation. Similarly, the CNS O'Higgins is advised to sail NW along the continental plate while continuing its supply INTERDICTION, in order to avoid PLAN anti-submarine warfare helicopters detected in the area.

Major targets nearby include the aforementioned frigate (W1) as well as a group of cargo ships off the coast of Punta Arenas (W2) that are in the process of delivering ground force reinforcements to support their offensive in the Bolt AO. I am ordering an AIR STRIKE on the frigate by A-4 Skyhawks from the ARA Veinticinco de Mayo, and I request CAP reinforcement from the SCAD air commander in support of that strike as well as to protect the Vasquez Glacier Radar installation, specifically in the form of Pontiac 1 M2000C Mirage fighters. I also advise that the cargo ships at W2 be considered a priority target.

Furthermore, with supplies at Puerto Natales Airbase rapidly being exhausted despite resupply efforts, the Argentinean P3 Orions are ordered to be REBASED at the larger and more distant El Calafate Airbase, subject to air commander approval.

In the Eastern AO, events are rapidly evolving. The discovery of significant S-300 SAM systems (E2, E3) protecting most of the PLA forces on Tierra del Fuego, as well as intel indicating that rocket artillery and cruise missiles have been delivered and are being set up nearby, and the news that the 1st PLAN fleet (E4) is advancing on Rio Gallegos from the SE, are all concerning. Not to mention that there has been a sighting of a potential 4th PLAN fleet sailing towards us from St. Helena, this one with a Liaoning-class carrier flagship and presumably a wing of J-15 fighters. With this in mind, and in support of the planned offensive near AO Arrow, the Argentine fleet is ordered to sail closer to Rio Gallegos and its NASAMS battery, and to SUPPORT Punta Delgada with the fleet. The anti-air defenses of the fleet may be able to provide some degree of protection against the cruise missiles that have been damaging the port. And the ships will also be nearby if an evacuation of Tierra del Fuego is required. The ARA San Juan is to continue rejoining the Argentine fleet. The Brazilian P3 Orions are advised to maintain a constant vigilance for the nearby 1st PLAN fleet believed to be nearby, and to alert the fleet CAP regarding any reconnaissance contacts in order to limit the PLAN sensor range.

Finally, the PLAGF artillery (E1) on the northern coast of Tierra del Fuego remain a potent threat. Their presence threatens highway supply routes on Ruta 255, and could potentially threaten the Punta Delgado ferry route as well, I endorse Gen. Humberto's plan to target those forces with ASTRO rocket artillery as soon as possible.

While the situation appears dire, it should be remembered that the PLA are operating very far from their supply bases. If we are able to stabilize the ground force situation and prevent a collapse of the SCAD alliance, I am confident that our air forces will be able to starve their troops of necessary supplies and fatally weaken them. One day you will be remember this conflict as merely a long afternoon - filled with intensity, but ultimately familiar to us here in the polar south. Eventually our aurora australis will appear.

It's shaping up to be a stormy weekend for us all, let's see if we can't give the PLA a good drenching.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Oct 24, 2023