Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Angry Brit
Sep 17, 2005

Do I pull G's? no sir, I'm married

Vahakyla posted:

At this moment, the once mighty Royal Navy is a practical joke, saved only by the swift action offered by Brazil and Argentina.

Unacceptable.

Her Majesty took this personally and is directly overseeing troop training

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Angry Brit
Sep 17, 2005

The Long Afternoon War - Mission 1 - Pontiac 2 AAR

Flight Members:
Pontiac 2-1 | Prime
Pontiac 2-2 | Lumme

Tasking: TARCAP
Kills: 2x J-7
Losses: Pontiac 2-2 | Lumme
Expended: 3x Super 530D, 2x Magic 2

Summary :words:

Engagement 1
We departed Rio Turbio for a TARCAP orbit over an eastern leg of the straight of Magellan. After passing WP1 we were assigned to 262.00am MHz for control from Buzzard. Shortly after hitting WP2 we were vectored to two hot bandits South, we acquired on radar at 40nm and got NCTR returns consistent with Chinese J-7, we sorted targets for me to take the front, and wingman would take rear bandit.

I launched a fox 1 (Super 530D) at 14nm, which achieved the first kill. Lumme launched his fox 1 at 12nm, his missile tracked but the bandit appeared to notch the shot forcing a miss, Lumme followed up with a fox 2 (Magic 2) at 4nm that the bandit successfully defeated with flares and forcing an overshoot. We attempted to reacquire, while unaware Panther 1 were on top of us and had already taken it.

Engagement 2 + Loss of Pontiac 2-2
I requested an updated bandit BRA from Buzzard who relayed targets 12nm SW; I assumed this was our missing bandit from the previous engagement, but in reality was a fresh pair of J-7's. A furball ensued with 3 Panthers, Pontiac 2-2 and the two bandits, during which time Pontiac 2-2 was hit from behind with an R-60.

Engagement 3
I had ended up on the far side of the furball and acquired a bandit at 7nm, unaware this was yet another fresh set of bandits I launched by second Fox 1 which the J-7 managed to jink, before my follow-up shot the bandit was splashed by Venom 1-2 | zerph1rum.

Engagement 4
After a couple of minutes ABM had another couple of bandits, 20nm East. I was limited to fox 2 missiles and was forced defensive by the lead bandit, who was then splashed by Venom 1-2. After recommitting on the second bandit we came within 4nm when I saw a launch and was forced defensive, after defeating the missile I managed to take a high aspect fox 2 shot and secure the kill

For the remaining mission; I continued TARCAP as long as I could before hitting fuel issues; erring on the side of safety, I requested a vector to nearest friendly airfield and ended up taking the landing at Rio Gallegos. The ground crew rolled out an uncharacteristically English welcome for me and pissed in my cockpit out of protest; not looking forward to the ferry flight back to Rio Turbio..

What went well?
Lots of action, a couple of kills, very quick responses from ABM.
  • (Game) performance was really good! a little chuggy once I landed, but otherwise buttery.

What could have gone better?
  • A couple of system foobars on my behalf.
  • One downside of having split flights between managers was that we were oblivious of what the F-16's were doing and often ended up mixed in the same fights; I can see a lot of Fox 2's flying around which makes me a bit nervous. If we're operating in the same area it'd be good to be on the same channel, or if that was not intended I'd suggest we'd benefit from more separation between flights not on the same freq to avoid mishaps.
  • (Game) Not sure what difficulty the AI were on by they were doing some pretty madshit manoeuvres to defeat missiles that really should have been a kill (not a complaint, just an observation)

The Angry Brit
Sep 17, 2005

The Long Afternoon War - Mission 2 - Pontiac 2 AAR

Flight Members:
Pontiac 2-1 | Prime
Pontiac 2-2 | Lumme
Pontiac 2-3 | Gronank

Kills: 1x J-7
Losses: Pontiac 2-1 | Prime, Pontiac 2-2 | Lumme
Expended: 4x Super 530D

Engagement 1
We departed Rio Turbio for a TARCAP around Waypoint 1, flying alongside Pontiac 1 after a mostly incident free group take-off.

Before we hit our WP, each flight recieved a tasking; Pontiac 1 departed for their targets to the South West while we continued pushing South for our bandits. In flight, it was remarked that WP1 wasn't where we expected as we'd anticipated WP1 over water but nav was pointing back overland.

Regardless, with bandits hot we continued and I used the land as visual reference for roughly where we were supposed to be. Just as we entered the engagement range, our RWR called radar launch warnings, which I assumed was our bandits taking the first shot - but turned out to be a hostile naval vessel. Having hit rMax and with superior numbers (3vs2) I chose to stay aggressive and launched my fox 1 at the lead bandit before putting him to radar gimbal, releasing counter measures and watching for the incoming missile trail.

Having entered 10nm with RWR still blaring and unable to verify the success of my first missile I launched the second. Upon debrief, the first missile hit but didn't kill, and the second failed.

Inside 5nm, I got eyes on both bandits and began to maneuverer for fox 2 missile launches. I'd failed to update my wingmen that I was merged, and 2-3 took a shot on a bandit within close proximity - I was visual on the launch and as a precaution defended against it in case of a tracking issue, but was struck by a fox 2 from my bandits wingman.

2-2 and 2-3 pulled North, whereupon 2-2 was hit by an SA-11 at Punta Arenas; and 2-3 turned and dispatched a J-7 that was still pursuing.

2-3 went to form with Pontiac who was engaged 2vs1 after losing their wingman, but found that Pontiac 1-1 had handled the situation by when he arrived, and given remaining fuel/ord returned safely to base.

--

What went well?
  • Nice take off and formation flying on the way out.

• Comms was messy; lots was comunicated interflight on Discord, our radio presets were widely spread and I failed to relay on own-flight radio channel which mission channel to set to. Actions to remove Discord from comms plan during flight, and re-request radio channel preset changes.
  • WP wasn't where we'd expected it, we only noticed when over water, ground crew are gonna catch a drubbing.
  • We pushed targets ahead of SEAD doing their thing on the SA-11; that's on me for prosecuting, but feel comms to strikers maybe could have been more joined up (belt & brances)
  • I didn't check my RWR properly, being it started squealing as we hit rMax I was confident it was our targets; had I taken the time to review I'd have seen it wasn't an airborne target and would have realised
  • I didn't know about Angry McBoat face; I assume I missed an intel drop ?
  • If I landed I'd probably have crashed anyway. Everything's awful.

The Angry Brit
Sep 17, 2005

The Long Afternoon War - Mission 2 - Pontiac 2 AAR

Flight Members:
Pontiac 2-1 | Prime
Pontiac 2-2 | Lumme
Pontiac 2-3 | Gronank

Kills: 2x J-7
Losses: Pontiac 2-2 | Lumme
Expended: 3x Super 530D

Engagement 1
We departed Rio Turbio for a TARCAP between Lanus and Glacier.

Enroute to Glacier Condor gave us a heads-up of bandit Mig-21's on CAP about 80nm from us, with a second group some distance behind them. We proceeded until about 20nm from Glacier at which point Condor gave us an update that their CAP had turned hot on us.

Due to proximity of the enemy frigate, we opted to turn West back towards Lanus and drag them about 30nm clear of the frigates max range, once we were confident they were out of cover we turned to engage.

I advised the flight that I would be looking to grab the lead bandit, and that 2-2 & 2-3 should grab the trail. 2-2 was the first to launch on his target, and my shot was shortly after. During the closure 2-2 had gotten slightly ahead of me and it transpired that I had inadventantly grabbed the rear bandit, meaning the enemy fighters were about 10nm closer than we thought.

2-2 was hit and although we didn't see a chute we've been informed the pilot survived his plunge to the Fjord below, his write up will surely follow. I saw the lead bandit who killed 2-2, but couldn't turn to engage without breaking my missile lock and so tried to maintain visual while keeping my target in gimbal for terminal guidance. Once I had confirmed I'd killed the wingman, I turned to engage the lead where I saw a subsequent explosion, and was warmed to hear 2-3 claim the kill.

Engagement as recorded from 1-1's perspective (skip to 34:10 if it doesn't automatically)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUoViHf6E5I&t=2050s

We reformed and resumed our TARCAP, where things remained uneventful until the server [REDACTED]

--

What went well?
  • Comms much better using SRS exclusively
  • We had mission specific sequential radio presets on Red :-3
  • We didn't get shot down by friendlies so assume our IFF procedure does infact work (despite lack of documentation.. )
  • Very clear communication from Condor helped us make tactical decisions about our engagement that kept us safe from the friage
  • In the fever-dream first run of the mission, we killed 2 bandits with zero losses; which would have been nice to write about!

• I stuffed up grabbing the lead bandit; having reviewed the engagement from guncam its clear I didn't actually have the lead bandit on my scope due to significant altitude separation (they were at 30,000 and 18,000). I thought I saw 2 bandits at 18,000, but this was infact a ghost return. In future, we'll be confirming target alt with ABM and proactively using that information to help sort bandits.
  • I didn't react when 2-2 passed me and this created the scenario where compounding issues of my radar grabbing the far bandit and 2-2 being ahead put him in the killbox for their lead.
  • We either didn't react to or didn't get RWR alerts on the launches that killed 2-2 and a near-miss on 2-3, to be investigated.

The Angry Brit fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Nov 5, 2023

The Angry Brit
Sep 17, 2005

The Long Afternoon War - Mission 3 - Pontiac 2 AAR

Flight Members:
Pontiac 2-1 | Prime
Pontiac 2-2 | Lumme
Pontiac 2-3 | Gronank
Pontiac 2-4 | BlueNexa

Kills: None
Losses: None
Expended: N/A

We departed Rio Turbio for a TARCAP around Cesar.

We wanted to get ahead of the strikers so took an aggressive burn to fl35 and proceeded at speed, with an intent to visit the tanker periodically to keep the flight in the fight.

As we approached Cesar, Condor confirmed picture clear so I split the flight so that 3&4 would fill up while 1&2 were on station.

Unfortunately, the flight was unable to raise Shell on its listed frequency and after a period of trying to establish contact we gave up. 2-3 was already joker and recovered to Rio Gallegos, while 4 came to rejoin 1 and 2, and we dumped our tanks to reduce drag and extend what little fuel we still had.

We continued our orbit for some time until we heard Strike had been successful at which point we were relieved by Condor and returned unexpectedly to Rio Gallegos due to the fuel issue stemming from the tankers radio failure.

All of Pontiac 2 landed successfully, and will ferry to Rio Turbio after topping up on caffine to wake us up following a snoozy flight.

--

What went well?
  • We got a lot of practice starting up and got airborne rapidly
  • Lovely formation flying
  • The whole flight landed!! (a first for Pontiac 2 since the breakout of the invasion)

• The tanker not being on the specified frequency (and being on a different TACAN (Y12 rather than X12)) was a big problem for our fuel plan and caused 2-3 to RTB before we'd even hit Cesar as a flight.
  • Some radio battling due to limitations of our Red radio; I'll request a reverse of our Green/Red presets from ground crew for next mission to give us extra flexibility for cases we need to jump frequencies.

The Angry Brit
Sep 17, 2005

The Long Afternoon War - Mission 4 - Pontiac 2 AAR

Flight Members:
Pontiac 2-1 | Prime
Pontiac 2-2 | Lumme

Tasking: BARCAP
Kills: 4x J-7 (Mig-21's)
Losses: Pontiac 2-2 (SAM), Pontiac 2-1 (landing accident)
Expended: 4x Super 530D, 2x Magic 2

We left Rio Turbio heading towards our BARCAP on the western side of the primary CAP line.

The take-off and initial flight went smoothly. Once we established our CAP, we received a call about two incoming bandits south of our position.

2-2 and I identified the bandits; I took the lead while 2-2 followed. I fired my first missile from 15nm, and 2-2 launched his from about 12nm.

(Credit to mlmp08)

After losing contact with my missile and not seeing a hit, I launched my final missile from 10nm. Shortly after, I witnessed my bandit going down. Meanwhile, 2-2 had launched his second missile and taken down the second bandit. Reviewing the events, it became clear that we both targeted the same bandit, resulting in three missiles being fired for one kill.

With both bandits eliminated, we headed North to resume our CAP. We informed Condor that we'd used up our medium-range missiles and requested to depart for a rearm, but our request was denied as another pair of bandits was incoming.

Turning back South, I thought I spotted the targets. Since we were limited to our short-range Fox 2 missiles and visual with a close range BRA call, I decided to switch to Dog Fight mode, hoping to catch the targets in boresight, but despite our efforts, we couldn't lock on. Condor then reported 'merged bandits high,' when we realised the targets we were chasing were actually the parachuting pilots of the jets we had previously taken down, causing confusion.

2-2 and I immediately redirected our attention to the real threat, grateful that the bandits hadn't taken advantage of our confusion, and swiftly dispatched them with one short-range missile each.

We turned back towards our CAP point. However, I noticed a fireball where 2-2 should have been. During the dogfight, we had descended, and 2-2 had inadvertently moved into the SA-11's range, resulting in the loss of his aircraft.

I returned to Rio Turbio, refueled, re-armed, and went back on station. No further bandit activity was reported, and after 20 minutes, it was time to head back. During my final approach, visions of a crying infant in my cockpit caused a momentary loss of concentration resulting in an unrecoverable stall and another lost aircraft. Despite this incident, I respectfully decline any suggested therapy.

--

What went well?
  • 4 kills
  • Good coordination during dog fight

• Ground crew hadn't updated our radio presets / loadout (worked around)
  • 3x 530's on a single target, still struggling to reliably target sort at distance due to Mirage's radar struggling with tight formations
  • Loss to the SA-11; RWR confusion and automatic counter measures not triggering (recommending manual release in future)
  • Loss of concentration during landing (recommend priestly blessings in the cockpit to ward off evil distractions)

The Angry Brit
Sep 17, 2005

lolman posted:

why argentina ?

I think they're doing it alphabetically

The Angry Brit
Sep 17, 2005

The Long Afternoon War - Mission 5 - Pontiac 2 AAR

Flight Members:
Pontiac 2-1 | Prime
Pontiac 2-2 | Lumme

Kills: 2x J-7 (Mig-21's); 1x (friendly) Mirage-2000
Losses: -3x airframes (Prime x1, Lumme x2)
Expended: 4x Super 530D, 6x Magic 2

Pontiac 2 was scrambled mid poker night at Rio Turbio, my wingman and I dashed to our airframes and pushed unrestricted climb outs to repel the air incursion that appeared to catch command by surprise.

We switched 261 for Condor and requested vectoring and got tasked with a pair of J-7's to our South East.

My wingman and I identified 2 bandits and at 15nm with solid radar lock and having confirmed intermittent NCTR that identified type as Mig-21 (which also covers the J-7); I launched my first fox 1. At this time, we were unaware that Pontiac 1 was merged in amongst the bandits, as our radar granularity is insufficient to pickout overlapping objects, and significantly exacerbated by not receiving IFF from Pontiac 1 which will become more relevant later..

My first fox 1 misses, having reviewed the situation I believe my missile was tracking correctly, but lost energy due to the bandit turning cold upon launch. I released a second fox 1 at 11nm; at this point, it's unclear whether my radar had switched from the bandit to Pontiac 1-1, as they were aligned and at a distance where the radar could not separate them, and with no IFF return I didn't question the shot. The missile was subsequently defeated, likely due to Pontiac 1-1's counter measures.

With both long range missiles expended we entered the merge. Through my NVG I made a clear visual ID on a J-7 and killed it with a 2nm fox 2 shot.

Ahead of my through my NVG I could make out a number of aircraft but at a range I couldn't visually identify type.

Using the boresight dogfight mode acquisition, I began locking targets in sequence in order to IFF them. The first 2 targets I IFF'd returned friendly, but the third failed to respond.

I called Condor to confirm bogey off my nose, and with confirmation took the shot. Regrettably, it turned out this was Pontiac 1-1.

At this point I was winchester and my wingman had lost visual on each other. I returned to base while Lumme stayed on station and was quickly drawn in to a 2vs1 battle with a pair of J-7's bearing down on Pontiac 1-2. Unfortunately Lumme couldn't prevent P1-2's shoot down. He dispatched 1 bandit in very close range with a fox 2, the second bandit was quickly on his tale and Lumme was forced defensive spiral, ultimately resulting in a CFIT due to task saturation and night time lighting.

I touched down at Rio Turbio and forgot to disable my Mode 4 IFF which after 60s weight on wheels automatically deletes the codes, rather than wait for ground crew to rearm the plane AND reset my IFF, I decided it'd be quicker to transition to a spare frame from the hanger. Somehow, Pontiac 2-2 was with me, and we set off again to continue our CAP.

We checked in with Condor and headed to our previous CAP point, on route, we caught a J-11 on our RWR, we enquired with Condor who realised the bandit was only 10nm from us; he'd been presumed low flying and avoiding AWACS. My wingman and I turned in to the fight, but were defeated in quick succession by what we assume were fox 2's.

--

What went well?
  • Took off pretty quickly!

• Ground crew hadn't updated our radio presets / loadout (worked around)
  • Still getting poor performance with S530 missiles; need to reduce launch range to increase their efficacy
  • Got lost/separated from wingman during the fight; should have withdrawn after missing the first 2 shots to reassess.
  • Pontiac 1-1 had been calling buddy spike but was on a different package frequency; IFF issues aside, had we been on the same comms this would likely have been enough to prevent he issue

Court report
Pontiac 2-1 was cleared of any criminal wrong doing but has been grounded for the upcoming days operation to attend sensitivity training following comments exchanged in the pilots common room area following the friendly fire incident

Court room artists impression (who lazily got the nationalities wrong, but is otherwise very accurate)

The Angry Brit
Sep 17, 2005

Dude Flight Brief

2x F-15E (Prime/Xeno426, Arbitary/radintorov)

Brief:

The Dude posted:

Ok peeps, Uncle Sam's finally loosened the reigns and we're finally able to stretch our wings. It'll be a long day for us, we're flying all the way in from REDACTED, we'll appear in the battlespace above El Calafate where our CSAD escort will deport and we'll form up. From there we've got 3 nav points to clear heading South, at which point we'll proceed at the discretion of our escort.

CSAD have really rolled out the red carpet for us, our targets are critical to the war effort but more than that this is a political show of force to the occupiers that America won't sit on the sidelines forever. Loss of USAF assets at this time would be a huge win for the Chinese propaganda machine and we are not going to be giving them material to work with.

Unless our escorts are in flames and you've got a J-11 up your tail pipe I will personally slap the wings off any cowboy dropping their tanks so help me Jesus, we've got a long flight home ahead of us.

WSO's, CSAD have a pretty good idea of the rough position of our targets but you'll need to put in the work to grab the targets once we're overhead. Pilots, I'm sure I don't need to remind you but remember our lase ceiling is 27,000ft - we'll need to be below this during the strike.

Good hunting.

Mission: BAI of tgt 14-5 CSS, 27-3 CSS, 3 BDE HQ, 3-3 SPT BN, 4-5 SPT BN BDE

Nav: Hot start near El Calafate, rdv with Escorts, proceed to SPOON, PLATE, COLO, hold pending SEAD/CAP clearance. On hot, push SW towards tgt locations. Egress in WPs in reverse. In case of Emergency Only, we have a divert at WP10 to Rio Gallegos - however, lets not.

(IMPRECISE DIAGRAM, FOR OUTLINE ONLY)

Loadout: 2x Aim9M, 2x Aim120C, 2x GBU-31(V)1/B (non-penetrator), 4x GBU-12, 3x Fuel Tank, AN-AAQ13, AN-AAQ14

Weapons employment: GBU-31's prioritised for HQ, GBU-12's for battalion/brigades

Threats:
* Primary threat SA-11 at Punta Arenas, we may be skirting the edge of its range; SEAD to mitigate.
* Expect SHORAD in amongst our strike targets, we'll need to stay high but under 27,000

The Angry Brit fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 5, 2024

The Angry Brit
Sep 17, 2005

The Angry Brit posted:

Dude Flight Brief

2x F-15E (Prime/Xeno426, Arbitary/radintorov)

Brief:

Mission: BAI of tgt 14-5 CSS, 27-3 CSS, 3 BDE HQ, 3-3 SPT BN, 4-5 SPT BN BDE

The Long Afternoon War - Day 9 - Dude Flight AAR

Flight Members:
Dude 1-1 | Prime / Xeno426
Dude 1-2 | Arbitrary/Radintorov

Tasking: Deep Strike
Kills: 4x Combat Supply Station, 2x HQ-7 LN (PLA SAM), 1x PLZ05 (PLA Arty Company)
Losses: N/A
Expended: 5x GBU-12, 2x GBU-31

Dude 1-1 Prime posted:

CENSOR NOTIFICATION: Details removed regarding ingress flight from REDACTED air base.

After entering CSAD airspace and briefly orbiting over El Calafate we met up with Rattler, our escort flight and proceeded to push following the Ninja SEAD flight. We orbited PLATE with our escort while SEAD go to work on the SA-11; during which time our WSO's started working the target locations from high res AG radar scans.

Once SEAD gave the Olé call we proceeded to COLO and on to our targets, however on our approach we were advised the SA-11 was still active and so returned to our hold until Olé was called again.

During this time we became aware a CSAD AFAC was on station offering us precise target data; having not anticipate this and tasked the WSO's with acquisition I decided not to accept, which in hindsight may have been a mistake.

We dropped our first GBU-12 on a combat supply station near WP5 to good effect while Dude 2 prosecuted targets near WP8. Dude 1 suffered aircraft failures relating to smart weapon deliveries; the maintainers tell me it's some grease monkey going by the name of Razbam who screwed us over, I'll ring his pencil neck if I catch him.. Dude 2 suffered difficulties but managed to clear the blockage and drop with good effect on all other killed targets.
Recommend grounding Strike Eagles until these faults are fixed, poo poo -- someone dig us some Phantom's out of the boneyard, something to be said for the old tech!

We continued to loiter looking for targets, once the buildings had been cleared we struggled to locate ground vehicles due in combination to our TPODs limited magnification and static vehicles blending in to environment on our FLIR, combined with FL requirement to stick above 20,000ft to avoid SHORAD. That AFAC would sure have come in handy...

Other assets started running low on play time so we began our egress, on route Dude 2 relayed the location of enemy vehicles to CSAD artillery; great work from them.

Overall, it was a long way for us to drop half a dozen bombs hampered by system failures; but we're confident we put a dent in their supplies and command structure, and most importantly, showed those bastards they aren't beyond the reach of the USAF.

--

What went well?
  • No losses or damage, with thanks to supporting assets; exited the threatre with all tanks and unspent ord still attached.
  • Struck all major buildings at each WP
  • Relayed two artillery missions (one turned out to be friendlies, again, appreciating diligence by ground commanders for confirming!)
  • Clear comms from commanders on 261 and 262 keeping us up to date on SAM threat and enemy air in the area

• Systems issues that hadn't occurred during training hampered overall effectiveness; had systems performed as expected we could have further sanitised
  • FL unaware AFAC would service our targets and opted to decline coordinates in favour of WSO's hunting, later came to regret

The Angry Brit fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jan 21, 2024

The Angry Brit
Sep 17, 2005

The Long Afternoon War - Mission 10 - Pontiac 1 AAR

Flight Members:
Pontiac 1-1 | Prime
Pontiac 1-2 | Lumme
Pontiac 1-3 | Gronack

Kills: 1x J-7 (Mig-21's)
Losses: -2x airframes (Prime, Lumme)
Expended: 6x Super 530D

Pontiac 1-1 posted:

Pontiac was on usual BARCAP duties on the Eastern flank of AO Arrow, we departed Rio Turbio as usual and made our ingress to our cap point.

Upon hitting our CAP station, we realised our intended race track (10nm E/W either side of CAP WP) took is just inside the tracking radar range of hostile naval assets, and so we adjusted to orbit from WP to 20nm W.

After resetting our position we got vectored on to a pair of J-7's and pulled South to engage, requesting Condor kept an eye on our proximity to the do-not-cross line.

Key events
  • 1-1 took the first shot at 9nm, the hostile turned immediately cold; thinking the first missile had failed to connected, 1-2 took a follow-up shot right as we witnessed the moment of impact
  • 1-3 had the second bandit locked, firing at 15nm, the bandit turned cold defeating the missile. 1-1 joined the pursuit, with launching their second fox1s - all of which failed to connect
  • 1-1 mistakenly called "splash bandit" after seeing 1-3's missile self destruct in proximity to 1-1's missile was tracking
  • 1-1 & 1-3 intended to rearm at Rio Gallegos while 1-2 remained on station, however before 1-1 had fully departed, 1-2 got new bandit vectors, so 1-1 opted to remain on station to back 1-2
  • The bandit 1-1 mistakenly called splash on had snuck West and was in amongst Ford, fortunately Ninja was onhand to splash the bandit before it could do any damage, but did so while 1-2's fox 1 was in flight
  • 1-1 & 1-2 remained on station with only fox2's, and were directed South again to engage more J-7'safed
  • 1-2 entered heater range, but called that he could not get tone, and began defensive manouvers
  • 1-1 also failed to get missile tone on the bandit
  • A furball developed with both pilots trouble shooting their systems
  • 1-2 was hit, upon seeing this and failing to solve the system fault, 1-1 switched to guns
  • Despite hitting one bandit they remained effective, and completely out of ammo 1-1 had to disengage and pull North
  • 1-1 couldn't outrun an incoming missile and ejected before the airframe was lost
  • 1-3 rearmed, but at this point miller was called and he returned to Rio Turbio

Aftermath & Fox 2 Heater investigation

The History Books posted:

Just ejected, Pontiac 1, fueled by rage, blamed maintainers for his predicament.

Evading enemy capture for untold miles, his unquenchable thirst for retribution fuelled his hate march back to Rio Turbio.

Confrunted the crew upon his return; they calmly pointed to a niche paragraph page in the pilots manual warning that running the Missile Warning pod consumes the same coolant used for the heat-seeking missiles, and that this was a combination of pilot ignorance combined with sortie length.

Pontiac 1 safed his side arm and grunted indignantly and turned to leave, when one of the maintainers meakly uttered "sir?.. there's a .. photo"

Pontiac 1, holstering his sidearm, grunted indignantly. As he turned to leave, a meek maintainer mentioned a photo. Motionless, Pontiac 1 imagined scandal, perhaps involving Taylor Swift? The maintainer handed him the photo: Pontiac flight, pre-departure, casually drinking missile coolant.

Pontiac 1 tore the photo in half, and half again.

"These events... transpired not."

--

What went well?
  • Good formation flying
  • Good coordination on initial engagement

• Abysmal Super530 performance, 1 kill for 6 weapons spent - need to launch closer and avoid launching against cold bandits
  • Aforementioned quirk with Fox2 employment that the flight members were not aware of; in future either unequip the MWS pod, or only engage it when vectored to bandits

The Angry Brit
Sep 17, 2005

10 MAR 2010

TO: ALL ALLIED FORCES

SUBJECT: UKCSG PROGRESS REPORT – HARRIER FORWARD POSTINGS

Attention Allied Colleagues,

I hope this missive finds you well. The HMS Invincibles' shakedown cruises are progressing steadily, and we extend our heartfelt thanks for your invaluable support during its recovery.

For record, the UKCSG now comprises the following
  • HMS Invincible; Carrying 12 x Harrier GR.9 from 801 Naval Air Squadron
  • HNoMS Helge Ingstad (F313) [with 2xCIWS]
  • HMS Somerset F82
  • HMS Grafton F80
  • HMS Kent F78
  • HMS Portland F79

As a token of appreciation, we are willing to send forward a Squadron of our Harrier GR.9's to the mainland, who we propose would temporarily integrate under CACC for smooth operation; naturally with delegated tactical authority to the 801st’s Flying Captain, who’ll be leading ashore.

Could you please provide a brief list of possible bases for consideration? Runway lengths are a secondary concern; a cricket pitch or stretch of road can suffice, our Harriers are quite adaptable.

With gratitude,

Montgomery Flibberflab
Admiral, Royal Navy
HMS Invincible

The Angry Brit
Sep 17, 2005

Kaal posted:

Admiral Ileana Maria Sampaio
South American Combined Armada

Welcome to the fight, Admiral Flibberflab. We were very happy to hear that the HMS Invincible is once more underway. I'm glad that our naval liaison officer and various forms of assistance were put to good use. I am certain that we can make good use of your expertise and the unique capabilities of the Harrier GR.9s and their expert pilots that will be cooperating with our forces. Together, we shall push back the invaders!

There are a number of potential Argentinean air bases that you should consider:

The one nearest to the HMS Invincible is the Puerto San Julián Airbase. You may already be familiar with it! There should be ample hangar space available right now, as it is only hosting our Super Étendard strike fighters of Dodge flight. However, the 2,400 m runway is likely superfluous to your needs, and it is located some distance from the front lines of AO Arrow.

If your Flying Captain would prefer somewhere where they could make themselves at home, I would offer the newly founded Naval Air Station Piedrabuena at Cmte Luis Piedrabuena Airport. Located a short drive from Santa Cruz, it is a small air station with a short runway, but neither of those would present your jumpjets with much difficulty. No other squadron is located there apart from naval ground crews, which would allow the Royal Navy to establish themselves fully and reduce the possibility for international friction.

Finally, there is the option of temporarily settling at Santa Cruz Airport, Rio Gallegos, or one of the other facilities, while a FARP is developed for your specific needs. Currently Naval Supply Command is coordinating with the Combined Armies to develop a FARP base in the vicinity of Bella Vista, Argentina - a small town near Ruta 40 and the Rio Turbio Railway. It may take some time, you'd be far from the coast, and forced to rub elbows with Army helicopter pilots, but you'd be right in the middle of the campaign theatre.

My recommendation would be EAN Piedrabuena, as it would seem to best meet your needs and those of CSAD, but you are welcome to consider any of the options.

Glad to have you and the 801st,
Adm. Sampaio

«Irse a pique antes que rendir el pabellón!«

Ileana, I thank you for your swift response and warm words of welcome.

I find the notion of stationing the 801st anywhere but in closest reasonable proximity to the fight a lamentable squandering of resources. Ergo, I propose initially stationing at Rio Gallegos, and decanting to a FARP as the frontline develops. The runway will give our Gr.9's a chance to stretch their wings and alleviate any lethargy accrued having been stuck watching seamen toil these past months.

Permit me to add, in due deference, that while the pilots of this generation may deploy this region afresh, the banner of the 801st does not. I should seek to avoid airbase cohabitation from the outset to mitigate any off duty wet interactions between our fine young fighting men over deeds of their fathers.

Separately, might I enquire whether any thought has yet been given to the command structure under which the 801st might temporarily attach, or am I to infer from your reply that they shall operate under the aegis of your distinguished authority?

Sincerely and with Regard,

Montgomery Flibberflab
Admiral, Royal Navy
HMS Invincible

P.S. I understand your forces are staged for an imminent operation; permit me to confess that a profound vexation assails me in contemplating our absence from the forthcoming fray. Strength and fortitude to you, dear Admiral.

The Angry Brit
Sep 17, 2005

Kaal posted:

Admiral Ileana Maria Sampaio
South American Combined Armada

Thank you Montgomery,

The readiness of your troops to help shoulder this war does them credit admiral, and we very much appreciate it. The willingness of Britain to support Argentina and the rest of the Council of South American Defense in our hour of need will go down in history.

In consultation with CACC Air Commander Gen. Castillo, and subject to the overall authority of CSAD Supreme Commander Gen. Carlos, it has been determined that your Royal Navy squadron would best attach to the Naval Aviation Command of the South American Combined Armada (SACA), under my leadership. I can assure you that they will find themselves right at home alongside our sailors and naval aviators. In the event of a larger commitment of British military forces, we should of course revisit this arrangement and establish an independent area of operational responsibility.

In the meantime, we will begin preparing Rio Gallegos for the imminent arrival of the gallant 801st aviators and their BAe GR.9 Harriers. It will be a bit close quarters, as dozens of F-5 Tiger IIs are already stationed there as part of 1st Fighter Squadron, as well as a number of C-130s from the 2nd Troop Transport Group; but surely your aviators must be used to close quarters as carrier pilots, and it will be a temporary inconvenience. Yet I agree that establishing a separate airbase for your troops would be a wise decision - for is it not said that good fences make good neighbors? Once your Flying Captain has arrived and the squadron has settled itself, we can begin cooperating on the siting and rapid construction of FARP Bella Vista. I'd suggest that they conduct a leader's recon as soon as they are able to do so.

Welcome once again admiral, we need your fighting spirit along with your courageous armed forces,

Adm. Sampaio

FARP Survey ATO Details Attached: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4042524&pagenumber=25#post537409224

«Irse a pique antes que rendir el pabellón!«

Dear Ileana,

I beg your pardon for the lapse in our correspondence; I trust this missive finds you in rude health and that the indefatigable Lt Cdr Fletcher has been making her presence felt ashore, alongside the 801st.

You will, without a doubt, be heartened to learn that the UKCSG is ship-shape and Bristol fashion; I expect we'll be approaching the AO by March 19th.

To delineate the composition of our task group:

• HMS Invincible
  • HNoMS Helge Ingstad (F313) [augmented with 2xCIWS]
  • HMS Somerset F82
  • HMS Grafton F80
  • HMS Kent F78
  • HMS Portland F79

While I trust you are well acquainted with the prowess of the 'Vince, I feel compelled to draw your esteemed attention to the Helge Ingstad. She boasts the latest Aegis combat system, and the Norwegian Captain has rather colourfully expressed his intentions regarding the Chinese fleet in terms not fit for logging nor restating in the presence of a lady. Rest assured, the bite can quite match the bark in this instance.

Naturally, upon our arrival, the UKCSG will operate under the discretion of the Admiralty.

For now hoever, the 801st shall continue their operations inland and you may continue to deploy them as you deem appropriate.

With the warmest regards,

Montgomery Flibberflab
Admiral, Royal Navy
HMS Invincible

The Angry Brit
Sep 17, 2005

Royal Navy Internal Communication

To: All Commanding Officers, Royal Navy

Date: 17-Mar-2010

Subject: Request for Logistics Flight for Supplies and Coordination with South American Allies

Classification: Confidential

Priority: Immediate Attention Required

Background:

Esteemed Colleagues,

In light of our impending deployment to the South Atlantic conflict zone, it has come to my attention that our esteemed crew chiefs have undertaken the noble task of cataloging our arsenal. Upon their diligent scrutiny, it was initially deemed that the 12 Apache Gunships housed within the Invincible were beyond salvage. However, subsequent reassessment by our dedicated crew suggests that restoration to operational status is indeed feasible, albeit requiring an infusion of substantial spares.

I am pleased to report that our Chief Engineer has been in correspondance with the venerable Logistics Officer Walter Warehouse of Wattisham Airfield, who has demonstrated commendable diligence in procuring the requisite itinerary and stands poised to expedite dispatch to RAF Mildenhall at a moment's notice. I am lead to believe an A330 Atlas befitting our needs may be attainable and I trust a top notch aircrew can be mustered.

Regrettably, my geographical remoteness precludes personal oversight of the forthcoming arrangements. Thus, I implore your valued assistance in finalising the intricate flight logistics from Mildenhall to the theater of operations. This endeavor necessitates delicate coordination with our esteemed CSAD allies to determine a suitable landing locale for the incoming flight.

I must impress upon you the utmost confidentiality surrounding this operation. The revelation of our Gunships to our allies remains pending, as their purported loss was hitherto assumed. It is imperative that we manage the expectations and morale of our local forces with the utmost discretion.

I beseech you to treat this matter with the gravity it deserves and expedite its execution with all due haste.

Yours expectantly,

Montgomery Flibberflab
Admiral, Royal Navy
HMS Invincible

The Angry Brit
Sep 17, 2005

mlmp08 posted:

Does this invincible have no harriers onboard and is purely a helo carrier? Or do the apaches live in a bag of holding?

E: not trying to be a dick, but the invincible capacity is much less than their modern carrier(s).

Royal Navy Internal Communication

To: All Commanding Officers, Royal Navy

Date: 17-Mar-2010

Subject: RE: Request for Logistics Flight for Supplies and Coordination with South American Allies

Classification: Confidential

Priority: Immediate Attention Required

Background:

Dear Colleagues,

A minor clarification to my previous missive, I of course meant four Apache gunships that can operate alongside our six Harriers; not twelve as I had originally been informed. Rest assured the root cause of the miscount has been identified and the culprit (a young Finnish exchange Officer) has received the sternest of reprimands and I've instructed a cohort of Officers to assemble a club to further exercise his penance.

Furthermore, our Logistics Officer has confirmed all required spares can be shipped on a standard 463L pallet and weighs in at about 8, 000 lbs.

Yours tipsily,

Montgomery Flibberflab
Admiral, Royal Navy
HMS Invincible

The Angry Brit
Sep 17, 2005

Flt. Lt. Wolfgang Flibberflab
801 Squadron Lead

Listen up my pedigree chums, Lt. Cdr. Fletcher's on some dubiously unmerited 'shore leave' so you're stuck with me on this occasion.

Point of order before we progress, looks like our previous callsign was causing some confusion in the command circles. We wouldn't want to make their lives any more difficult, I heard they ran out of double ply bog roll in their lavvy and rumour has it their biscuit budget has been slashed this year. As such, Vincent will now universally be known as Enfield.

On with business. The Argie Admiral's has us prosecuting more Support services and HQ's, we run the risk of becoming type cast! but we've done it before and done it well so lets make this happen. I expect another clean run, I don't want to be the one explaining to ol' Monty why he's missing airframes, you should see what happened to the last person who took him that message.

The Admiral has proposed a somewhat Yonic looking flight plan for us, it'd be ungentlemanly to refuse.

OBJECTIVE
* Primary target is Combat Support Services battalion and HQ company.
* Secondary/TOO is formation of heavy armoured tanks.

WEATHER
Conditions should be somewhat improved from recent days, hopefully staying dry with cloud base around 8,000ft. Unremarkable wind conditions. Hopefully a bit less bloody sodden at Sophie.

INTEL
"The PLAGF 7th Armoured BDE is currently making a move against our Rio Gallegos defenders, and we will need your assistance in slowing them down. Taking out the tanks directly will be a difficult job, though the anti-tank forces in the Army are best equipped to do it. Striking against their headquarters, support, engineer, and artillery companies will reduce the enabling forces of the 7th BDE, and give the Army time to get to work."

EXECUTION
Approach the objective and survey the targets, no doubt we'll have some air defence to deal with so we'll prioritise those and pick them off with Mavs.

Once the CSS is no more, we'll take stock of remaining fuel and weapons and decide whether or not to prosecute secondaries.

There are blue ground forces in theatre; check and recheck before engaging.

Wp's as follows
  • WP0: FARP Sophie (home plate)
  • WP1: T1 - CSS Batallion/HQ targets
  • WP2: T2 - Enemy armour
  • WP3: FARP Sophie

ARMAMENT
Pilots discretion on this on this one, though I recommend we each have an LMAV or two so we can reach out to any SHORAD near the objective. Otherwise, a mix of bombs and APKWS as you see fit.

NOTES
Laser codes as follows,
  • Enfield 1-1: 1671
  • Enfield 1-2: 1672
  • Enfield 1-3: 1673
  • Enfield 1-4: 1674

The Angry Brit
Sep 17, 2005

To whomever requires,

In the spirit of the alliance I wish to extend the willingness of the British Armed Forces to participate in ground operations. The Invincible carries a detachment an SBS unit who you might understand are the keenest of beans for selection in any operation in the area of Goose Green.

As a leader, I order no man to undertake a mission I myself would not; to that end, I authorise the immediate distribution of this image of me training this morning, rallying the men and raising their fighting spirit. May it strike fear in the hearts of our enemies!

With fire in my heart,

Montgomery Flibberflab
Admiral, Royal Navy
HMS Invincible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Angry Brit
Sep 17, 2005

FAO our allied forces,

I have spoken with my number within the RAF and can relay their intent to utilise the cease fire to fly sorties with the RC-135. Her sniff is worthy of her snout so I trust she can provide some much needed intelligence updates forthwith.

Seek and ye shall find,

Montgomery Flibberflab
Admiral, Royal Navy
HMS Invincible