Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug

The A-4 is such a good module it feels almost criminal that it is free. The closest paid module it can compare to is the F-5 and, while I love the F-5, I personally think the A-4 has it beat in capability all around. The F-5 does shine in some places but imo not enough to overshadow the A-4.

The A-4 can do:
-SEAD. The AGM-45 Shrike isn't great but flying NOE and popping up 8nm from the SAM site and rippling off 4 missiles and diving back down to the deck never gets old.

-Rudimentary computer calculated release point (CCRP) bombing. The F-5 requires lots of practice to get bombs even close to your intended target. If the situation allows it the A-4 will take a lot of the guess work out of it and, if weather is taken into consideration, can get your bombs right in the pickle barrel with COMPUTER RELEASE.

-A useful HUD/pipper. While it's not new enough for a modern HUD it does have a gun net of sorts with measurements for mils and what have yous. I personally find it 500% more helpful in learning dumb bombing profiles vs the F-5's very simplistic pipper.

-A radar altimeter! Are you a big time dumb guy like me and hate even the most simple of mathematics? Have you looked at a bombing profile table and seen something like "drop at: 2000 AGL" and gotten angry at the thought of having to look at the target altitude and doing simple mental math to work out your AGL? Well worry no longer! Just set your radar altimeter to your desired AGL and a big red warning light will come on and tell you you're at 2000 AGL.

-Startup is ridiculously easy. It's like 4 steps.

-Its nimble as hell and just Fun To Fly. Plus if you roll too hard you can make yourself blackout.

-It can carry every munition the F-5 can and more. Napalm, cluster bomb dispensers, gun pods to name a few. Plus the guns are loaded via something like a nitrogen canister so when you arm your guns it makes a satisfying BANG.

-It has a pretty decent ground detecting radar as well if your flying low in bad weather. I don't think you can target anything with it like you can with the F-5, though.

-Can land on boat.

Some cons:
-It is quite annoying to get the hang of the nose wheel steering on the ground. It's operated via left and right wheel brakes so you'll probably end up off the taxiway once when you're learning it. But it's fine when you get used to it.

-It doesn't have a cage/uncage system for the AIM-9. This isn't a huge deal but it definitely makes the F-5 a slightly better A2A platform with it's radar ranging and uncageable sidewinders.

*Slaps the top of the A-4 you're sitting in.* So, what can I do to get you into an A-4 Skyhawk today?

Steak fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Sep 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug

Xakura posted:

Our version doesn't have nose wheel steering, it's just freely castering. You're turning by differential braking.

Yeah it's like steering an office chair.

Edit: I, too, vote for the SU-25 parts. The Froggie will likely be useful for something ground focused in the future and we have the Chilean Vipes to hopefully deal with stuff in the air.

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug
Arrived at El Calafate late as the special operation was already underway. But I was able to jump aboard a C-130 just before it started rolling and snapped some pics with my new HTC Evo 4G. Was finally able to finally find a usb port at base down here. Had to ask the IT guy how to get the pics off of it.

DCIM\

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug

Elendil004 posted:

We've extracted the images in full resolution.

I took these pics to my new IT friend; the one who helped me get those photos off of my phone yesterday? Anyway he did some CSI stuff to them and now we can make them out a bit better.

ENHANCE

That looks like an Early Warning Radar behind that warehouse there.

Not sure the significance of these boats. Maybe some of the naval intelligence people can find these useful?

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug

Yooper posted:

Cool navy stuff

Even if we are able to shoot down the scout helos is our navy even capable of getting the jump on the PLAN? What are our radar ranges and such like vs the PLAN's? And if we are able to get the jump on them what can our navy actually do? As you've said we have basically no defense against their YJ-83.

Not trying to bring defeatism to the navy, but it looks like a very real threat that we should start theory crafting ways to survive any engagement

What are the limitations of the YJ-83? Does it need direct line of sight to target? Would hiding our boats in the fjords be a good defense to the surface to surface missiles? And what kinds of air to surface capabilities do we have at the moment? Could aircraft intercept a YJ-83?

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Professor Bear:

On the other hand, if they make the mistake of splitting apart to widen the search area, it would give our ships the opportunity to attain a temporary local superiority and ambush a weaker element of the PLAN.

:sickos:

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug

Vahakyla posted:

This picture was taken as the P-3 swooped in close and got this photo.

I'm on it.

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug
Right then. I've been promoted to section leader of the Royal Navy SBS attachment sent to the Falklands. Operation Lancet is commencing shortly and I've drawn out a preliminary plan of attack.

Objective
1. Destroy the PLAN ships moored in the Choiseul Sound
2. Sanitize the town of Goose Green

Execution
If we insert by Boca House we would have relatively good cover on the way to other side of the isthmus. At Observe we should check out the airfield and make sure its clear. Also watch the 1 road going through - its likely a main supply line. If airfield is clear, then Zulu takes up position west northwest of Goose Green and waits for X-Ray to plant explosives on the ships. While Zulu holds, X-Ray hits the coast and follows it to that .7 on the map. The shore is steep and should provide defilade cover. Based on the intel pics from up thread the ships are likely on the north side of the point and only 3 are seen in the picture. If that intel is current then either or both team(s) from X-Ray should go out and deploy explosives. Set timers for enough time to make it back to shore and get to House A. House A is a 2 story with a good sightline into Goose Green. If only 1 team from X-Ray does boats then the other should hang out here. Once explosives are deployed, Zulu starts moving towards House B. Ideally I'd like to get the town assault started just as the boats explode.

House B is important: It has a direct sight line down the entire town of Goose Green from the second story. The factory south of it provides an even better overwatch position on the roof but would be more exposed. Once Zulu is at House B then X-Ray should start clearing the town, hopefully with Zulu providing covering fire and moving south as X-Ray progresses through the town. We should save an explosive for the SAM radar at the end of the point as well.

Any questions, Chaps?

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug
Big "Steak" Soda
X-Ray 1-1, RED Team, Command AAR

What was supposed to happen
Overall mission objectives were:
Plant explosives on 1 PLAN ship anchored in the Choiseul Sound.
Clear the town of Goose Green of any hostiles.

Command objectives were:
RED team was to plant the explosives on the ships.
BLUE team was to sweep through Goose Green and clear it of hostiles.
ZULU was to provide fire support for BLUE team.

What really happened
All teams completed their objectives. Targets of opportunity were also destroyed, however doing so left us in the AO too long which allowed PLAN forces to direct artillery fire on our position.

What went well
RED team's objective was to destroy 1 ship. We planted explosives on all 6 ships anchored in the Sound. RED also destroyed 2 stationary light armor pieces. BLUE team destroyed the SAM radar target of opportunity. ZULU locked down Goose Green after taking positions in an advantageous building that was not on our intel maps. This allowed ZULU to destroy some PLAN air assets. ZULU also procured a map and GPS device from the enemy. Zero deaths (or 1 death if a disconnects counts).

What did not go well
There were more ships in the sound than the 3 that our intel suggested. I thought I could get away with splitting X-Ray's duties but in doing so I left BLUE team high and dry when they encountered the checkpoint referenced in Yooper's AAR. As a result BLUE sustained 2 injuries in taking the checkpoint. This also directly lead to our long loiter time in the AO which saw an increasingly intense response from a nearby PLAN garrison.

What should be changed for next time
Hindsight 20/20 and all but I would have planned this operation differently. ZULU should have been tasked with taking House A, House B and sanitizing the town by themselves with X-Ray providing support to them. ZULU lead suggested a version of this plan and I should have kept it as a backup. BLUE should have also been retasked to dive with RED to expedite the demolition deployment.

In the future I should plan for contingencies better. My plan relied on many assumptions. These assumptions lead to stretching X-Ray too thin and put them at a real risk of a squad wipe. And I should have adapted my orders on the ground when I saw these issues arise. Fog of war is real and better communication on my part would have helped mitigate that confusion.

I agree with Yooper in that we should pick out likely hostile hotspots in planning. I was too focused on micromanaging team routes in planning and execution. I should have given each team a couple objectives and "not sweat the small stuff", as it were.
-------------------
Overall I am extremely happy with the outcome of this operation. We achieved all of our objectives as well as some targets of opportunity. Well done everyone.

Intel referenced from these photos:

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug
Ripped a couple of pages out of the local magazines and newspapers

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug
Mission Brief: Ford Flight

Objective
Ford is tasked with eliminating a PLA HY-1 Silkworm surface-to-surface site located on Isla Carlos III.

Suggested Loadouts

These aren’t hard and fast, but the basic gist of what I want for our flight. 2 planes carrying AGM-45 Shrike anti-radiation missiles, 2 planes with plenty of ordnance to destroy everything on the ground, and 1 plane with a couple extra AIM-9’s. Everyone takes AIM-9’s.

Mission Plan

Ford 1 and 2 will depart ANA Veinticinco de Mayo bearing 090 as a single flight. Once the mountains are on our right we will fly direct to D1 at low level using the terrain to mask our route. At D1 we will switch to D2 and Ford 1-1 and 1-2 will take the lead. At 10 NM from D2 Ford 1-1 and 1-2 will perform a pop-up attack and attempt to intercept any radar emitters at the objective with AGM-45 Shrikes. While the Silkworm's radar is not a threat to any aircraft, I do not want to risk a detection by any radar in case the site will communicate with hostile air coordinators. Once any radar emitters are suppressed the remainder of Ford flight will establish themselves at 10,000 to 15,000 AGL above the objective. Ford flight will then attack the HY-1 site in a similar manner they attacked the supply ships on their last mission:

-The flight will maintain an orbit above the objective.
-1 plane will dive to probe for hostile MANPADs or AAA while the rest of the flight spots for them.
-The Flight will then commence the attack depending on air defenses present. Prioritize eliminating MANPADs or AAA followed by the Silkworm launchers.
-At least 2-3 aircraft must remain up high to keep watch for enemy CAP.

Once the objective is neutralized Ford will egress back to D1 and then establish on TACAN 25X back to the Veinticinco de Mayo.

Notes
Ford flight will not have CAP this time around so we are on our own for everything. We will get an ABM to help our situational awareness but teamwork and communication will be critical. Our air to air capabilities are limited so we need to try our best to engage any air threats on our terms: down low and into our flight. If it gets real bad we can run toward the CNS Aspirante Isaza.

Comms
The A-4’s comms are currently bugged with the release of DCS 2.9 so we will just use discord.

Good luck everyone. We’re going to need it

“We swear to die gloriously”

Steak fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Oct 20, 2023

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug
Mission Debrief: Ford Flight
17 FEB 2010

Objective
Ford flight was tasked with eliminating a PLA HY-6 Silkworm anti-ship missile battery and provide their own CAP.

Result
Ford was able to completely destroy the silkworm site as well as a PLAN submarine target of opportunity hiding in a nearby fjord.

After Action Report
During ingress we were warned of a flight of 2 J-7 approaching the silkworm site from the east. Thanks to the efforts of Pontiac 1 they were able to intercept the J-7s and give us a clean approach to our objective.

At D1 our flight ran into some navigation issues which lead to our flight getting a bit more spread out than I would have liked. This lead to Ford 1-2 overflying the objective prematurely. It worked out, however, as Ford 1-1 wasn't far off and 1-1 and 1-2 were able to magnum our AGM-45 Shrikes at about the same time to great effectiveness. The remainder of Ford flight then arrived at the objective and proceeded to persecute the launchers and support equipment of the silkworm battery.

During the strike Ford 2-1 “Jerik” initiated a strafing run on the PLAN submarine utilizing LAU-10 ZUNI rockets. Every one of his rockets struck the submarine and rendered it inoperable. Excellent work.

On egress Ford 1-2 suggested we overfly the radar station to hopefully provide recon to our special forces team assaulting it early the next morning. Ford broke into smaller flights to search for the site but our recon seems to have turned up nothing. Below are some photos snapped by Ford 1-2 "Mederlock" with his personal camera. The entirety of Ford flight returned to the ARA Veinticinco de Mayo and landed without issue.

For Next Time
Some things to improve on for the next mission would be to double check our navigation and get a bit more organized in our attack runs. Getting scattered over D1 could have been a disaster for our flight, but we had luck on our side. As flight lead I should have had the familiarity with the AN/ASN-41 navigation computer to have known to double check our waypoints were correct.
When we set up to perform our attack we kinda just…went at it once we realized there was no MANPAD or air threat. I would have liked to have our attack a bit more organized with 1 or 2 pilots calling out their run ins. We had some close calls with a couple pilots running in from opposite directions so it may be beneficial to take steps to avoid the possibility of any mid-air incidents in future missions.

Final Thoughts
As far as I am concerned Ford flight did an excellent job completing the mission Every pilot stood out by having done something that impressed me. Honorable mention to rookie Ford 1-4 "Wyatt Burp" who got a ground kill with an AIM-9P5 sidewinder. I am extremely proud of having flown with you all. Well done.

"We Swear To Die Gloriously"

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug
Found GoPro Hero footage of Ford 3-3's A-4 Skyhawk attack run on the PLAN DDG.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t5vupmLol4

A few other snap shots were found on the SD card.

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug
Ford flight's new squadron patch came in.

Steak fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Nov 11, 2023

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug

Elendil004 posted:

What does winning look like for us? Pushing the PLA back into the sea? Degrading them to a standstill and set-up of a DMZ? Our propaganda arm talks a big game but what's realistic? If they focused on our front they could roll up South America with impunity if they wanted to.

On the other hand, to play devil's advocate, what if we don't focus on winning the war? Especially if victory looks unlikely. What if we focused on things at an operational level instead? Things that we can handle? How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.

Consider this AO.

This is the only place our ground forces are in direct conflict with the PLA. And this is where most of our ground forces are. An operation to push the PLA off of our side of the Tierra del Fuego is totally possible. While this doesn't win the war, it would do wonders for morale if successful.

Also, what else is China up to in the world? Is South America their sole focus or do more PLA in SA mean less PLA on another front somewhere else in the world?

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug
*my force ghost materializes in front of the OIC on the bridge of the HMS Agincourt*

XO Big “Steak” Soda
Yankee Lead
AAR

Yankee Status
Big Soda (KIA)
Burnt Corn Muffin (KIA)
Alchenar (KIA)
Arbitrary (KIA)

Vahakyla
Rowen
Angel
Lumme

Battlefield Damage Assessment
2x PLAN submarines
1x Heavy lift crane
Unknown amount of PLA troops and equipment

AAR
Yankee deployed along with XRay at our insertion point and, after some radio troubleshooting and verifying comms, carried on to our mission. First destination was Yankee WP1 which was a homestead just off of the island’s MSR. Our lead scout spotted someone inside the house as we were a few hundred meters out. I radioed Mederlock to ask our ROE and was advised to keep it quiet until we can mount the assault. Yankee then crossed the road to the north and gave the homestead a “wide berth” (not really, but the best we could do) while keeping a constant coverage on the homestead. As we were moving past the homestead a PLA patrol crested a hill directly in front of us. Yankee was in the middle of a snow covered field with no cover so we had no option but to engage. Due to the crack shot of our operators the entire PLA patrol squad was eliminated in a matter of seconds. Actually, I have to take a moment to commend everyone in my squad on this. As a team we all seemingly picked different targets and as soon as I gave the order to shoot every one of the PLA in front of us were eliminated. Not a single one got the chance to raise their weapon. Just excellent work on a quick reaction ambush.

After the ambush I radioed to Mederlock that we engaged the patrol. He assured us that he heard no gunfire so we figured our cover was not blown. However, the patrol was likely to radio in at set intervals and the lack of a PATROLREP from them would likely blow our cover at some point. He recommended we expedite our movement to WP2.

Yankee approached a ridge and observed a PLA garrison that was protecting the sub pen at Grytviken. I radioed our observation report to XRay and hustled Yankee to WP2. As Yankee approached WP2 I ordered Red team down from the highlands that we were on while I held Blue and Green teams with me (referred to as Cover Element from here on out) as I planned on providing covering fire from the high ground. This is when the winter squall rolled in. Red team sheltered in place waiting for the storm to lift while the cover element attempted to move forward. I personally found myself slipping down the side of a hill but sustained no injuries. Other members of the cover element got separated. As the storm quickly lifted I found myself exposed on a hillside in full view of the sub pen but luckily there was zero PLA around. Red team quickly got to work planting explosives on all both submarines harbored while the cover element went to find a downed squad member who got separated during the squall and stumbled onto a PLA barracks. The cover element cleared the barracks as Red lead, Vahakyla, radioed advising it would be a good idea to destroy the heavy crane at the dock to slow down PLAN logistics. I agreed and told him to blow it. Red team linked back up with the cover element shortly thereafter. XRay advised that they cleared the garrison to the west of the sub pen, procured local transport, and were progressing toward the radar. Yankee was then given orders to proceed to WP3.

At this point it was about 0655. Our exfil was scheduled for 0710. There were concerns about our timetable, but thanks to Blue team’s resourcefulness they were able to procure local transport for Yankee as well. Yankee then sped to WP3 in some sort of amphibious 6 wheeler open topped vehicle. We disembarked near WP3 and climbed the nearest hill to get into an overwatch position on the MSR. Red team almost immediately spotted a UAZ speeding toward the sub pen and I gave the order to light them up. The UAZ patrol was eliminated and as I turned around to look for Blue and Green teams I was killed instantly by a single 30mm round from a PLA IFV.

What happened after this is unknown. From second hand accounts Red team lead took over as acting squad lead. However, Yankee also lost all of Blue and Green teams around this time.

I spawned back into Zulu and after much Arma-ness I found myself linked back up with Red team from Yankee at around Yankee WP1. They were in the process of exfil and I helped provide covering fire on enemy infantry and helo support as we waited for more friendlies to arrive at extract. Extract arrived on time and what remained of the British forces on the island extracted back to the HMS Agincourt.

What Went Well
Radio communication was top notch. Once we got the bugs ironed out the communication between Yankee and XRay was excellent. Mederlock keeping focus on the timetable was also key. We were able to complete our objectives before we hit a ton of resistance. As a team, I think Yankee hit all of our key objectives. We destroyed the sub and provided a screening force to XRay. We did hit heavy resistance but our sacrifice helped buy time for XRay to start extracting. And tactic-wise we were goddamn excellent in my opinion. Our swift ambush of that first patrol, our clearing of that barracks and Red team’s ambush of the UAZ patrol were all perfect. Well done, everyone.

What Went Poorly
From my perspective, nothing within XRay or Yankee’s control went poorly. The plan was solid and we did complete our primary objectives. Sure, a 30mm may have taken my head clean off, but we were expected to hit resistance. And it sounds like extract was called at the right time. Maybe Yankee could have proceeded to WP3 with extra caution. Our timetable kind of forced a swift movement, however. I think for better time management we would have needed to be deployed with vehicles so we could have reached WP1 & WP2 quicker.

Oh, one last thing. Members from my squad were concerned about the lack of proper winter attire provided to us. Some were feeling too much of their skin was exposed to the elements and their gloves not up to the task of the Southern Atlantic elements. I have to express disappointment in the Royal Navy for not learning any lessons from Goose Green in 1984 wrt fighting in South Atlantic weather.

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug
FORD BRIEFING

Ford's usual Lead is out on leave this week in Rio Gallegos. Last I heard the MP's were looking for him but nobody could clarify as to why they were looking for him. So, I'll hop in Ford 1-1's seat this week. We're tasked with striking the PLA's 3rd BDE and if it weren't for the weather I'd say this was a milk run.

The plan is pretty straight forward

Ford will depart from Rio Chico Aerodrome, head to PLATE while climbing to 16,000, turn southwest to the IP and fly almost directly south to the target point. Once winchester we will fly PLATE to home. HWY 288 curves southwest and the PLA 3rd BDE should be spread out across a dry river bed perpendicular to that highway. The main issue will be the cloud cover, though. As in, we won't be picking our targets. Cloud cover doesn't start breaking until around 9,000 ft so we will be at the mercy of mother nature as to what targets we will be able to hit through the holes in the cloud cover, if any. I suggest setting your radar altimeter warning to 3000 ft, at minimum. Make it one of the first instruments you turn on because we're going to be flying through soup for most of this mission.

LOADOUT

I wanted to go Mk-82's but the weather doesn't permit it. Zuni's will be better for low level hunting.

Good luck. We're going to need it for this one.

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug
FORD AAR

We departed from Rio Chico using every available inch of runway, climbed through the clouds and held at our IP for about 25 minutes while waiting for Jedi to finish suppressing air defenses. Near the end of Ford's hold we were spiked by something on our RWR. I radioed a 'mudspike' and shortly thereafter Jedi called the shack of an SA-11. Our RWRs went silent and we were given the green light to commenced our attack.

Ford spent 3 minutes 40 seconds over target and managed to shack 1x T-55 and 1x ZU-23 trucks. I took some shots across the bottom of my nose on my last run in but we called winchester right after and headed home.
I recorded my attack run on my GoPro Hero that I strapped to my head
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHeRkDBhJ_E

During landing my front gear failed to drop due to the damage earlier but everyone made it home safe and sound. Overall, the mission was a success.

And some other pics I took with my HTC Evo smart phone

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug
VINCENT BRIEFING

This is the debut flight of the British 801 Naval Air Squadron and our Gr.9 Harriers in this theatre. There….may have been some bad blood in this part of the world in the past but I suppose extreme circumstances, not my problem, none of my business, etc. Regardless, I will be taking my experience from Ford flight and applying it to Vincent the best I can. While I will miss the A-4’s 8,000 Zuni rocket capacity I will try and make due with what the Gr.9 has to offer.

OBJECTIVE
Vincent’s objective is simple, and one I am familiar with: TASMO. Vincent is to head to AO BOLT and perform a recon by force for any PLAN ships in the area.

INTEL
In the past few days Castle Class or equivalent patrol boats have been spotted in the sound near Isla Larga and Isla Escarpada and threatening the newly built FARP Dinibor. The ships have been extremely active, landing forces on the northern shores. Current intel will likely be irrelevant by mission time. But the waters are active and landing zones will be hot spots.

WEATHER
Expect overcast, rain, fog, and a low cloud ceiling.

EXECUTION
Vincent will depart from the newly built FARP Sophie, climb to 16,000 ft, and travel to the IP at DIEGO. There are 3 JTAC observation posts throughout our patrol, which we will divide into sectors A,B,C, from west to east. At DIEGO we will check in with JTAC and get a report of what can be seen from all 3 OP. From here we will make a choice:

If JTAC observes patrol boats or larger at a specific OP, Vincent flight will make straight for that OP to engage those ships.

If JTAC does not observe anything, Vincent will attempt to get below the cloud ceiling and hunt for ships starting at WP02 and move from west to east.

If Vincent picks up any ship contacts pinging them on the RWR, we will descend and use terrain masking to carry out one of the two aforementioned tasks.

Once Vincent is Winchester or the AO is clear of any naval vessels we will RTB.

ARMAMENT
4x AGM-65E2 LMV2
2x AIM-9M Sidewinder
1x GAU-12 Pod w/ SAPHEI rounds
1x AN/AAQ-28(V) LIGHTENING G4 Targeting Pod
BINGO: 2800 lbs
JOKER: 1400 lbs

NOTES
JTAC please use laser code 1670. I do not know if there will be any other laser guided munitions in the area so it is best to just keep it safe and stay away from 1688. If Vincent needs to go hunting on their own, then we can change our laser codes on the fly to a preset:
Vincent 1-1: 1671
Vincent 1-2: 1672
Vincent 1-3: 1673
Vincent 1-4: 1674

Also note, 2 LMAVs around the waterline will be required to sink one of these patrol boats. Any larger ship and we either risk shooting more than required “just in case” or take multiple passes. Or get a little crazy with it and use teamwork.

Steak fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Feb 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug
801 Naval Air Squadron - FOB SOPHIE

Alright ya tossers, we're going right back out there. We did a fantastic job with those littoral ships, but now we got some PLA tank battalions acting a right oval office to our south, harassing our friends on the ground.

Mission Objective
Simple. While the rest of the task force is busy out east, we're to kick em in the bollocks when they're lookin the other way. We're to strike the Combat Sustainment Support Battalion to the south of COLO that Rattler couldn't get a sight on a few hours earlier. If we see it, we hit it. Then we look toward the concentration of enemy tank groups to the east and blow up as many as we can.

Execution
Vincent will depart FARP SOPHIE, head to COLO while climbing to above cloud level. At COLO we will assess the weather and decide how to proceed. If the weather is uncooperative for an at-altitude JDAM strike on the CSS Bn then we will move to our secondary and go tank hunting below the clouds. The enemy air defenses have been taking a beating over the past few missions so, while they may not be a huge threat, they are still a threat. I'd rather not risk getting low enough for a MANPAD or HQ-7 to look at us over the CSS Bn.

When we move on to the secondary objective we should reorient at COLO and reapproach the secondary targets from the north over the friendly ground forces. Remember: ABF. Always Be Flaring. Flare when you're about to start your run in on a tank. Flare when you're shooting at a tank. Flare when you're giving them the finger and flying away. And try to be mindful about going too far south in case there's more nastiness we don't know about.

Weather
Plan on the same weather as last mission. Cloud ceiling seemed to be around 6,000ft and upper cloud level at 13,000ish ft. Down low there was snow and fog but the visual range wasn't terrible - maybe 10 nm.

Loadout
"Pilot's Delight" (take anything you want that could cover both objectives. As well as some AIM-9's...just in case)
BINGO: 2800 lbs

Some notes:
Make sure you've shaken the rust off of your vertical landing skills. The weather we've been having around FARP SOPHIE has done a number on the ground and turned it into a soggy mess. Potholes have been developing all over the runway and has been making life difficult for anything trying to land there. So as a consequence we pretty much can only safely land vertically.

Lets go move mud.