Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Preoptopus posted:

The mustard museum moved from Mt
Horeb?! Also shame on you for not mentioning little Norway or Cave of the Mounds or goddamn House On The Rock

OK I forgot those so how about Al Johnson's, the Swedish pancake restaurant with goats on the roof

Don't even try to eat there though, the wait is like 3 hours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Butt Science posted:

Maybe SamG Land counts. It's actually not far from Helen, GA. Long story short, SamG had a heart attack on the toilet and decided he'd rather spend the rest of his life making art. So he turned his girlfriend's yard into, well, this:

Its not designed to separate you from your money, no not a tourist trap perse, though SamG does accept donations. Still, roadside attraction. I parked at a gas station and walked into the woods behind it to get there.
I walked around for an hour talking to SamG and looking at weird poo poo. 10/10

The man himself:

I laffed at the corn maze.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Okay, this belongs in a museum. Possibly the MoMA, possibly along with the mailbox eating the mannequin.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Allegedly the term "Tourist trap" was invented in Niagara Falls because you'd get hustled in to doing some bullshit tourist thing, and at the end you'd be "trapped" until you bought some cheap bullshit or paid the owner's thugs some money or some poo poo.

As someone who grew up in Niagara Falls Canada its still a lot of tourist trap bullshit but at least the parks and poo poo are nice.
Niagara Falls NY was kinda lovely outside of the park areas and is supposed to be way shittier now, though I haven't actually been there for a while.

That being said, Niagara Falls Canada has a bunch of lovely areas outside the tourist areas too. The old downtown on Queen St, Bridge St. and surrounding area is kinda like junky town and there are a fair number of other lovely spots besides that.

City council doesn't seem to give a gently caress about things like road maintenance outside the tourist areas and residents regularly bitch about crumbling infrastructure while that new hotel just got the road in front of it paved and widened and new sidewalks and poo poo.

In the mean time, the souvenir shops are all selling the same over priced bullshit, the restaurants in the tourist area gouge the fuckin poo poo out of people that try to eat down there. And they charge a "DMF" Destination Marketing Fee, which is just some bullshit charge that they add on to your food and hotel bills because "it goes to advertising our great city in out of town newspapers" except there is absolutely no oversight as to how that money is actually spent and pretty much everyone figures that it goes to line the pockets of the sleazy restaurant and hotel owners and guess what? You DON'T have to pay that poo poo so if you go there and see it on your bill, tell them to take it off and if they don't then make a fuss and also if you know how to use an debit machine, just figure out the bill without that poo poo and punch in the new amount so they don't charge you for it because they can't force you to pay it despite what they try and tell you.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Extra Large Marge posted:

Ellwood Historical Barb Wire Museum - DeKalb, Il

It's a museum of barb wire in a house that was owned by a barb wire tycoon

Glidden Historical Barb Wire Museum - DeKalb, Il

Yes there are two of them, this house was owned by the other barb wire tycoon

MrQwerty posted:

Did the barb wire tycoons have a bitter barb wire rivalry

Glidden invented the barbwire making machine, Ellwood was the money behind it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
i like ellwods house more

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
The Old North Church in Boston. It's an old church in the north end and something about warning about the British during the Revolution. Still an active church. There's a crypt.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Buttchocks posted:

The Old North Church in Boston. It's an old church in the north end and something about warning about the British during the Revolution. Still an active church. There's a crypt.

Did ya do the whole Freedom Trail?

Trilly Joel
Apr 27, 2023

`
The Catacombe dei Cappuccini in Sicily a few years ago.

Basically imagine walking through a huge hallway with just a fuckton of dead bodies in it. It's freaky just being surrounded by hundreds and hundreds of musty corpses. All those people were alive and now they're just dead bodies on the wall. Eventually you get corpse overload though, and you just walk past dozens and dozens of them. Kids freaking love it.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Buttchocks posted:

I liked that church it was well maintained & interesting to wander around. The Old State House was also fun to see.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

redshirt posted:

Did ya do the whole Freedom Trail?

Many times. The trail ran along the sidewalk outside my apartment. The best thing on the trail was this dapper fellow in Charlestown.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Someone revive my Door County thread

I've never been there but I was really high about a year ago and asked gbs what it was like there and I got pages of wonderful recommendations and stories and advice. I hope that thread never disappears because I want to go, hopefully next year

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Trilly Joel posted:

Basically imagine walking through a huge hallway with just a fuckton of dead bodies in it. It's freaky just being surrounded by hundreds and hundreds of musty corpses. All those people were alive and now they're just dead bodies on the wall. Eventually you get corpse overload though, and you just walk past dozens and dozens of them. Kids freaking love it.

How was the cappuccino?

My family and I passed through Metropolis once back in 2000, but it was Sunday and everything was closed. Cool statue though.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Preoptopus posted:

The mustard museum moved from Mt
Horeb?! Also shame on you for not mentioning little Norway or Cave of the Mounds or goddamn House On The Rock

The National Mustard Museum has been in Middleton since at least the time I moved to the Madison area, which was April 2010.

Fake edit: Checking their website, they've been in Middleton since 2009.

As for a tourist trap that really fucken sucks, the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland is terrible. Overcrowded, stupidly expensive, and effectively impossible to navigate if you're handicapped (like me with two bad legs and a broken back). Went there with an ex-girlfriend almost two years ago and we felt ripped off at the $70 admission for the two of us.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
At least you got to meet Paul Newman

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Winchester Mystery House, San Jose, CA

Famous mansion constructed by the widow of the owner of the Winchester Firearms company. After he died, she consulted a medium and was told that she would be haunted by the ghosts of anyone killed by her husband’s guns, then advised that she should build more rooms in her house to confuse the ghosts who might haunt her. With a lot of anxiety and a bottomless pit of gun money, Sarah Winchester proceeded to add room upon room to her mansion in round-the-clock construction, the mansion ended up with 160 rooms upon her death, along with lots of false doors, secret doors and passages, dead-end hallways, etc.

Visited it on my honeymoon, it was a lot of fun, despite the blistering heat of San Jose in July. It’s well-preserved and one of the few house-museums I’ve seen that absolutely requires a docent tour because *you will get lost.* It was also neat to see that a lot of the “hidden rooms/passages” in the house were built as much for convenience. Mrs. Winchester's mobility was limited towards the end of her life, so a lot of the spending went as much to adding accessibility options - stairs, handrails, an elevator, ramps, wheelchair accessible areas, etc - as it did to the occult stuff.

Definitely worth the trip.

edit: lol that a hundred-year old mansion is more handicapped accessible than the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. That sucks, Timby, sorry you had to deal with that.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Someone revive my Door County thread

I've never been there but I was really high about a year ago and asked gbs what it was like there and I got pages of wonderful recommendations and stories and advice. I hope that thread never disappears because I want to go, hopefully next year

As pretty as Door County is, I am unsure if it's worth flying across the country for. During it's peak season, it is packed with tourists, and getting into restaurants becomes a "you should have booked a table 6 months ago", and the cute little stores are packed. If you go just as it's going off season, you can get into most everywhere fine, but many places have shut down already until spring. It's sort of a balancing act for timing because the popularity can be a negative. There is only so much space there, and they're not building up to accomodate any booms. It just is.

Don't get me wrong, it's fantastic for anyone who lives in WI. We can pop up and down at will. But I would hate for someone to plan a trip in advance only to show up and be upset over crowds and no where to eat other than the chain restaurants in Sturgeon Bay. Unless you want to visit the outdoor views and parks and could care less about the local run businesses, then you'd probably enjoy it enough and be chill and relaxed at an BnB or something for the week.

My fondest memory is going up with my parents as a little kid in the early 80s. They rented a room from someone in this old house, and I got to sleep on a bed up in the attic. It was right out of Goonies, but no treasure map. Instead it had this huge crate of comic books. At the time, I was all about collecting comics. I had won the lottery. We would spend the days exploring the little towns, and come back at night and I could just read thousands of old comics in my own personal attic room.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Sep 28, 2023

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Gatto Grigio posted:

Winchester Mystery House, San Jose, CA

Famous mansion constructed by the widow of the owner of the Winchester Firearms company. After he died, she consulted a medium and was told that she would be haunted by the ghosts of anyone killed by her husband’s guns, then advised that she should build more rooms in her house to confuse the ghosts who might haunt her. With a lot of anxiety and a bottomless pit of gun money, Sarah Winchester proceeded to add room upon room to her mansion in round-the-clock construction, the mansion ended up with 160 rooms upon her death, along with lots of false doors, secret doors and passages, dead-end hallways, etc.

Visited it on my honeymoon, it was a lot of fun, despite the blistering heat of San Jose in July. It’s well-preserved and one of the few house-museums I’ve seen that absolutely requires a docent tour because *you will get lost.* It was also neat to see that a lot of the “hidden rooms/passages” in the house were built as much for convenience. Mrs. Winchester's mobility was limited towards the end of her life, so a lot of the spending went as much to adding accessibility options - stairs, handrails, an elevator, ramps, wheelchair accessible areas, etc - as it did to the occult stuff.

Definitely worth the trip.

edit: lol that a hundred-year old mansion is more handicapped accessible than the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. That sucks, Timby, sorry you had to deal with that.

I wonder if anyone ever got lost in there overnight. Theres supposed to be this place in norway that's *never been mapped* and people get lost there every time which sounds like bullshit but I want to believe

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Milo and POTUS posted:

I wonder if anyone ever got lost in there overnight. Theres supposed to be this place in norway that's *never been mapped* and people get lost there every time which sounds like bullshit but I want to believe

Never heard about this, what place is it?

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
I forgot New Hope, PA. It's like a compressed Americana shoved into a little tourist town and... don't hate me, here... it's lovely. Don't rain down hatred on me because of what a caricature that place is. I've had way too many good times there.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

ymgve posted:

Never heard about this, what place is it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Student_Society_in_Trondheim?useskin=vector

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I also like trains :spergin:

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

The Scott Joplin House in St. Louis MO. Joplin only lived there a short time, and nothing in the museum actually ever belonged to him, but it was still a very interesting tour, and our tour guide played us some ragtime like a boss.

The Mark Twain House in Hartford, CT. It's the house that looks like it was deliberately designed to piss off the neighbors. And maybe it was! I can't remember! Also a very interesting tour, but no ragtime.

The Billy Graham Museum at Wheaton College, Wheaton IL. Evangelical auto-fellatio at it's finest. Don't miss the "Heaven Room". Do miss failson Franklin!!

The Kazoo factory and museum in Eden, NY http://www.edenkazoo.com/ Not to be confused with the much nicer kazoo museum in Beaufort, SC!

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

lol that is an inside joke, the place isn't that big (I've only been in the public spaces and seen it from the outside, but it still obeys the laws of spatial geometry and there's no way it has 40 different levels unless they mean "the floor in this room is an inch higher than this other room so that's two levels")

edit: there are maps on this site https://home.samfundet.no/~wiesener/ - "Samfundet-tegning 1. plan.gif" to "Samfundet-tegning 6. plan.gif" gives a pretty thorough overview of the building.

ymgve fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 28, 2023

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Buttchocks posted:

Many times. The trail ran along the sidewalk outside my apartment. The best thing on the trail was this dapper fellow in Charlestown.

Preston Garvey, is that you? Does another settlement need my help? Alright, I'll go check my map...

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

HJE-Cobra posted:

Preston Garvey, is that you? Does another settlement need my help? Alright, I'll go check my map...

Hey, let the settlements deal with their own problems, otherwise they'll never learn. :colbert:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Buttchocks posted:

This sounds cool as hell. Churches and cemeteries and the deepest feel you can get for pure history in the States.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

ymgve posted:

lol that is an inside joke, the place isn't that big (I've only been in the public spaces and seen it from the outside, but it still obeys the laws of spatial geometry and there's no way it has 40 different levels unless they mean "the floor in this room is an inch higher than this other room so that's two levels")

edit: there are maps on this site https://home.samfundet.no/~wiesener/ - "Samfundet-tegning 1. plan.gif" to "Samfundet-tegning 6. plan.gif" gives a pretty thorough overview of the building.

norwegians are a tricky people

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Buttchocks posted:

The Mark Twain House in Hartford, CT. It's the house that looks like it was deliberately designed to piss off the neighbors. And maybe it was! I can't remember! Also a very interesting tour, but no ragtime.

Go to the Harriet Beecher Stowe house next door also.

Mark Twain's house is a fantastic tour as I remember it and he definitely designed his house to amuse himself first and foremost.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

BaconCopter posted:

Waikiki Beach in Hawaii is a travesty against nature. A tiny hyper crowded dumpster beach for dumpster people.

I live here and Waikiki is my favorite spot on the island. If you cant afford to be there just say that.... It's Vegas without the gambling, oh and there's a beach too.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Arione posted:

It's Vegas without the gambling, oh and there's a beach too.

lol, you somehow made it sound even worse.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Jack Kerouac's grave (I think of his mother)

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

dr_rat posted:

lol, you somehow made it sound even worse.

High end food, shopping, and hotels? Depends on what you want to do I guesz.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

redshirt posted:

Jack Kerouac's grave (I think of his mother)

It’s either that or go stare at a big-rear end water wheel.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Milo and POTUS posted:

i like ellwods house more

And the Glidden one is basically hidden behind a McDonalds now. Fuckin' owned.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Trilly Joel posted:

I visited the catacombs in Paris. It creeped me out way more than I expected it to. Just a long tunnel down, down, down. Being that deep underground surrounded by skeleton bones and imagining the people who put them down there in the first place is a trip. People are loving morbid, man :skeltal: And occasionally a drop of ice cold water falls on your neck.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Ralph Hurley posted:

I visited the catacombs in Paris. It creeped me out way more than I expected it to. Just a long tunnel down, down, down. Being that deep underground surrounded by skeleton bones and imagining the people who put them down there in the first place is a trip. People are loving morbid, man :skeltal: And occasionally a drop of ice cold water falls on your neck.

I did this too, definitely creepy and one of the highlights of my Paris visit. What's even more unnerving is that you're actually only seeing a small fraction of the entire catacombs tunnel system.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
Oh! Oh! I have one! My Wisconsin hometown is home to the... *drumroll*... "world's largest round barn"

You don't know small town midwestern life if you don't think they're extremely proud of this fact.

edit: also where I got the heck scared out of me as a kid because I didn't know that a cow's piss rate is approximately 1700 gallons per second.

Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Oct 1, 2023

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

I went with the family to the Cabazon Dinosaurs when my kid was a toddler. She knew only a few words at the time and one of those was “dino”. She spent the whole time pointing at every statue shouting DINO DINO DINO.

Besides the famous big T. rex from Pee Wee’s Big Adventure, there are tons of goofy rear end dino statues of all sizes and degrees of derpy-looking. You’re not going to learn anything real about dinosaurs there. They don’t make a big deal about it but I’m pretty sure the place is a low key creationist attraction. I don’t remember what exactly it said but the receipt from the gift store had some bible quote that I took to mean they think dinosaurs are just a myth.

They currently have the big T. rex painted like Pee Wee as a tribute.

My daughter and I climbed up the steps into its head which is a lot more cramped than in the movie. Still cool though.

Movie:

Reality:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
Nap Ghost

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Dang that game was fun. I had no idea what Graceland was when I first played.

what the gently caress is Graceland?