Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Elon said he's going to start charging everyone to use Twitter, not just blue checks, so that'll probably go a long way towards destroying that particular platform. Someone will probably have to strangle Mark Zuckerberg though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peachy...
Jan 15, 2020

~hey~
We need to bring back websites

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

GABA ghoul posted:

I'm not a huge tick-tocker, but my understanding is that there is a lot less social interaction on the new Gen alpha platforms. They are much more advanced skinner boxes than Instagram or twitter and manage to greatly cut down on any distractions that keep you from watching ads.

I think once these platforms take over, the corrosive effect of social media on politics will be over. Like, Facebook or Twitter need to drive "engagement" by spreading right wing propaganda and fake news to get people's attention, but Ticktock just highjacks your dopamine system directly. You put a person in front of the ticktock app and they will just continue scrolling and watching ads indefinitely, until they starve or lose consciousness from exhaustion. No need for politics at all.

e: well, ok, you'll die of dehydration before starvation, but the point still stands

I can see this happening

I know of a few people who, thru Reels, end up on a snippet of like Jordan Peterson or some other shithead, but it’s of a pretty tame viewpoint.

They kinda agree with the point, so they watch it, but don’t dig any deeper into the person or their views, or the slippery slope. They just scroll to the next video about books or kids or whatever.

I’m not sure if video feed based forms have a high transfer rate from the original snippet to the full on fascist. And after all, it doesn’t make sense for them to, because they aren’t meant to optimize political views, they are meant to optimize ads, which means keeping em scrolling.

I do see the algorithm sometimes get people into weird perspectives of being attacked - like one friend was complaining to me “I like these fantasy novels even if people are saying they are too immature or basically popcorn books”. I asked them if anyone said that to them in the real world or not, and they were like “actually it’s just Reels…”

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

peachy... posted:

We need to bring back websites

I long for the days when the craziest of terminally online people had a geocities site talking about time travelling aliens and reptilians running congress. Now those are the first tweets you see since they're paying for a blue check.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
We would need to get the government to take some serious antitrust action. You can start by creating some political cartoons (draw a big fat rich guy in a top hat labeled "big-tech").

Overdog
Jul 12, 2023

by CVG

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Extra Large Marge posted:

We would need to get the government to take some serious antitrust action. You can start by creating some political cartoons (draw a big fat rich guy in a top hat labeled "big-tech").

Nah make it some counterculture crusty with a crooked fitted cap and a lip ring and eyeliner saying "nobody make it big, ever" and he's pissing on Calvin.

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo
removed myself from the pool in 2018 no regrets

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Overdog posted:

Start a cable company that kidnaps and murders people and has a fat redneck spokesmodel that shows up at weed dispensaries and shoves medical card people around with immunity and then change the name of the company when you get caught (and literally do nothing else), legally absolving you of all liability. Keep winning municipal bid contracts at 6000% the cost of reasonable competitors with complicit politicians for the next 9 years without any police interference. Put hot bonds on all the fiber optic trunks and bury a whole city and put the whole shitshow behind a media blitz of nasty, derogatory comments about its occupants and their primary victims and actively stalk and block all data for anyone who says anything to the contrary, again uncontested by law. Never disclose that the whole operation is owned by Shabazz and financially backed by blood diamond mining and slave labor, or that the high capacity data backend is intended for the micromanagement of new genetic phenotypes and super soldiers and the general dissolution of all civilian media and communication via other service providers. :shuckyes:

So drown 'em out with nonsensical bullshit eh.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
That’s exactly what Big Nonsense wants you to do

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

HEY HEY HO HO!
SOCIAL MEDIA
HAS GOT TO GO!

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

bring back Miiverse

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
:justpost:

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
I'm gonna start chewing through any computer wires I see

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Larry Cum Free posted:

I'm gonna start chewing through any computer wires I see

We gotta start chewing other stuff, they've got wireless internet, wireless mice, wireless charging!!! When will the madness stop so that Larry Cum Free can just chew some fuckin wires already?

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Mail them your poo poo and hair

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

apatite posted:

We gotta start chewing other stuff, they've got wireless internet, wireless mice, wireless charging!!! When will the madness stop so that Larry Cum Free can just chew some fuckin wires already?

Chew the 5G!

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

My teeth are going to go soft and fall out and the internet giants will have won

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

are you SCUBA certified? they have wires under the water, you know what to do

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

apatite posted:

are you SCUBA certified? they have wires under the water, you know what to do

I used to make some if those cables

You'll need some fancy tools

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Outlaw web 2.0 and 3.0.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Sophy Wackles posted:

Outlaw web 2.0 and 3.0.

Switching to 4.0 on 6G titanium edition

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

The higher web version you are using, the longer you go to prison.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Beta testing web 6.0

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Web 6.9

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Regressing to web 0.0.2b for sanity reasons

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Slow down hot shot!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I say we do a French revolution, but you know, not in French so people know what other people are saying and what not.

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

you know what you need to do.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Socialize with people in person maybe

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

dr_rat posted:

I say we do a French revolution, but you know, not in French so people know what other people are saying and what not.

Stench Revolution

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

A Strange Aeon posted:

Socialize with people in person maybe

Crazy talk!

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

facebook's a dying boomer husk and twitter's shooting its dick off every day, i dont think there's much to worry about TBH. all those defederated networks + personal sites and webrings will ensure a freer net than you mite think op

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

neocities rules btw i love working on website

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

cumpantry posted:

facebook's a dying boomer husk and twitter's shooting its dick off every day, i dont think there's much to worry about TBH. all those defederated networks + personal sites and webrings will ensure a freer net than you mite think op

this site use to raid AOL chatrooms for lols and image macros, the AOL chatrooms became Facebook groups (and ignoring a tiny bit of insurrection :rolleyes:) are basically the same thing. Once the Facebook groups go, there will be a few years of unfettered internet and then some new addiction will arise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
at some point there will be a large solar flare that will send a massive EMP burst right at the earth and solve this problem