Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Current Episode

About the Game

Metroid Zero Mission is the 2004 installment in the world famous Metroid series of games. Acting as a remake of the original Metroid, released in 1986, it retells Samus' story with updated, visuals gameplay and new secrets that weren't in the official report!

Samus must make her way to the planet Zebes to exterminate all the Metroids and then confront Mother Brain to finally set the galaxy at peace. (That uhh.. doesn't really work out)

Zero Mission represented an interesting challenge for the team at Nintendo. The original Metroid, through the constraints of being a NES game was relatively sparse in its size and decoration, so the challenge for the team was the creation of a game that felt faithful to the original whilst also making Zebes feel like the more populated, lived in world that most remember it as from Super Metroid. Further, the team had just come off the success of both Metroid Fusion and Metroid Prime, so correctly parlaying lessons learned from both games into this remake would require a great deal of finesse.

This is a continuation in our trip through the world of Metroidvanias, which started all the way back with Symphony of the Night, but then hitting up the likes of Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion and Hollow Knight before our last run through of a Metroid game, Metroid Dread.

Through these I've proven to have a talent for some of these and well, a maddening lack of skill at others. But I can say that I've really grown to appreciate the genre, with each of these titles bringing delight, frustration and everything in between. So to return to Metroid once more for a game that Tea assures me feels very different to its brothers and sisters is something I'm looking forward to.

Will I struggle with the space jump again? Will I enjoy the fast pacing that Zero Mission represents? Will I die in hilarious and embarrassing manners? There's only one way to find out!

About the LP

This is, a blind LP with Yorkshire Tea providing me guidance on where to go in case I get lost. (And perhaps some speedrunning advice?). Episodes will release on Monday, Wednesday and Friday with cheeky early releases for our followers on Patreon.

Art and banners, will, as ever, be handled by the amazing Bifauxnen.

Episodes

Links

Our Patreon! - In case you want to support our LPs, see episodes early and *gasp* get your name in the credits!

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Oct 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I was just thinking a few hours ago "I haven't watched a nat20 LP lately... wonder if I missed a new thread or not." and I find out that I haven't.

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Sep 25, 2023

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Nothing to brighten up my evening like checking my subscription feed on YouTube and seeing a new Metroid LP by Natural 20 in the list. :munch:

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

The video description still links back to the Dishonoured thread, just so you know!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Zero Percent Chance of Success? I say 100 Percent Chance of a Good LP!

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Nice.

Remember Nat, you absolutely nailed the space jump in Dread when you were distracted by how much you wanted to break Raven Beak's face.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Aren't you ever afraid that you might miss, let's call them "story beats", if you do manage to sequence break on your first playthrough?

If I start playing a new game I like to try and stick to the "intended" path to fully experience the story, and only see if I can break the game on subsequent playthroughs.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Aren't you ever afraid that you might miss, let's call them "story beats", if you do manage to sequence break on your first playthrough?

If I start playing a new game I like to try and stick to the "intended" path to fully experience the story, and only see if I can break the game on subsequent playthroughs.

I'm a completionist explorer by nature, I want to rub my face on everything to see what's behind there. If I delay getting a key item or story beat then missing it becomes *my* story.

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021
The Dishonored LP wasn't quite my thing, but I'm super excited to get back to Nat flailing around in Metroidvanias!

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Zero Mission’s a game I feel conflicted on because while it’s the best way to play the original Metroid story by and large, it has one of my least favorite control physics on Samus in the entire series, where she’s simultaneously too twitchy and too heavy for me personally that makes me not want to go back to it very often.

That being said, it’s an excellent first timer experience for Metroid thanks to the challenge being scaled back and early exploration being well guided by the Chozo statues. Especially for the format it was designed for, it’s an elegant solution that makes ZM great for pick up and play sessions.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

mmm Metroid

Also Nat, have you played Armored Core 6 yet? If you haven't... BLIND LP IT.

Its worth it.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

AtomikKrab posted:

mmm Metroid

Also Nat, have you played Armored Core 6 yet? If you haven't... BLIND LP IT.

Its worth it.

I haven't touched AC6 yet.

I'm interested primarily because someone linked this to me:

But on the other hand I loving hated Bloodborne so I am now incredibly suspicious of all FromSoft.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
armored core is the good fromsoft series, it's nothing like dark souls

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Kinu Nishimura posted:

armored core is the good fromsoft series, it's nothing like dark souls

This, Now getting past the first level can be a bit of a headache, but very doable once you get the controls down and develop the proper aggression.

Also in armored core you start the game in a final boss chassis, and I mean that is something you can literally roleplay with the right parts.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Natural 20 posted:

I haven't touched AC6 yet.

I'm interested primarily because someone linked this to me:

But on the other hand I loving hated Bloodborne so I am now incredibly suspicious of all FromSoft.

It's a bit weird for an AC game, it has a lot more viable solution space than BB, but less compared to earlier ACs, and I frankly dislike the stagger mechanic, I think of it more like Mechiro than AC16 or so, but on the other hand you do have a lot of options to gently caress around and they are perfectly viable.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Tea seems to have a bit of an echo when he gets loud, I noticed it a bit in the last episode too. Maybe it's your mike picking him up on your end?

I also find having an area just named "Kraid" and "Ridley" kind of silly, but it's a GBA remake of an NES game, what're you gonna do? :shrug:

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I don't mind that bit, it even works diegetically, Samus comes in the Brunt area, explores, sees a giant cyborg chicken with plasma cannons and calls it a Brunt.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

SIGSEGV posted:

It's a bit weird for an AC game, it has a lot more viable solution space than BB, but less compared to earlier ACs, and I frankly dislike the stagger mechanic, I think of it more like Mechiro than AC16 or so, but on the other hand you do have a lot of options to gently caress around and they are perfectly viable.

But there is no need for grinding in AC6, other than grinding your skills to get good, you have no level ups, you can more or less swap out parts and your entire build on the fly and sell back at the same price as buying so theres never a reason to try different plans if you get jammed on a boss.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

AtomikKrab posted:

But there is no need for grinding in AC6, other than grinding your skills to get good, you have no level ups, you can more or less swap out parts and your entire build on the fly and sell back at the same price as buying so theres never a reason to try different plans if you get jammed on a boss.

I haven't had a chance to play AC6 yet, but this was always one of my favorite things about the older Armored Core games on PS1 and PS2. It's a refreshing change for a video game to simply have a fixed price for both buying and selling so that there's no net loss/gain of resources, and therefore no risk of accidentally screwing yourself over by experimenting with new part load outs and equipment configurations.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Which game had the fake OG Metroid 1 Kraid the room before the actual modern* design Kraid all later game use? Super Metroid?

*1994 isn't exactly modern but you get what I mean

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Omobono posted:

Which game had the fake OG Metroid 1 Kraid the room before the actual modern* design Kraid all later game use? Super Metroid?

*1994 isn't exactly modern but you get what I mean

Super Metroid did that, yeah. Was a literal massive showcase for the Super Nintendo to pull that trick too.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Nat is your greatest enemy... platforming?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

AtomikKrab posted:

Nat is your greatest enemy... platforming?

ONLY IN METROID.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

My favorite parts of these are when Natural 20 rants and raves about how impossible the precision platforming is, then swims through multiple tricky screens without even noticing how effortless it is.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Gnoman posted:

My favorite parts of these are when Natural 20 rants and raves about how impossible the precision platforming is, then swims through multiple tricky screens without even noticing how effortless it is.

The more of these LPs I watch the more sure I become that Natural 20 is just very good at precision platforming others find difficult and very bad at precision platforming others find easy.

I was first clued in by the part in the Super Metroid LP where he mentions how wall jumping is so much easier than space jumping.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
I'm (re)watching their Metroid Dread LP, and yes, Nat20's hatred of the Space Jump is real.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:

Bremen posted:

I was first clued in by the part in the Super Metroid LP where he mentions how wall jumping is so much easier than space jumping.

Space jump is definitely a lot harder to grasp, IMO. At least with wall jumping, not only is there an in-game tutorial with the Eticoons, Samus has a "pushing against the wall" pose (most obviously seen when using the Grapple Beam but present well before that) you can use as a brief but certain indicator.

Space jump is counterintuitive and feels inconsistent. Do I press jump at the peak of the jump? Do I press the same or opposite direction? Why did I connect everything without having to think about it but at the last little bit plummet down a sheer cliff face that I now have to ascend again?

But then I'm very terrible at even non-precision platforming so. :shrug:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
dread honestly made me perfectly understand what it felt like to be nat about the space jump because the game became far less pleasant to play after you get the double jump item because it makes the wall jump more cumbersome to use

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

dotchan posted:

Space jump is definitely a lot harder to grasp, IMO. At least with wall jumping, not only is there an in-game tutorial with the Eticoons, Samus has a "pushing against the wall" pose (most obviously seen when using the Grapple Beam but present well before that) you can use as a brief but certain indicator.

Space jump is counterintuitive and feels inconsistent. Do I press jump at the peak of the jump? Do I press the same or opposite direction? Why did I connect everything without having to think about it but at the last little bit plummet down a sheer cliff face that I now have to ascend again?

But then I'm very terrible at even non-precision platforming so. :shrug:

When I was a kid I considered accidentally wandering down into the eticoon tutorial to be worth hitting the reset button. I knew, intellectually, it was possible, and maybe I could even get a wall jump or two up after a few dozen tries, but the idea of actually getting all the way up out of the hole was basically an impossible dream.

Meanwhile as soon as I got the space jump I could just stay in the air forever. The pattern of spamming buttons on the SNES controller just felt natural.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Bremen posted:

When I was a kid I considered accidentally wandering down into the eticoon tutorial to be worth hitting the reset button. I knew, intellectually, it was possible, and maybe I could even get a wall jump or two up after a few dozen tries, but the idea of actually getting all the way up out of the hole was basically an impossible dream.

Meanwhile as soon as I got the space jump I could just stay in the air forever. The pattern of spamming buttons on the SNES controller just felt natural.

Ditto. I still can't do Super Metroid walljump.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

I felt it each time you jumped into his attacks,

However you killed Craig there before he fully transitioned to his final phase so, good job.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Watching Nat play this is incredibly frustrating and I can't wait to see some of the later sections :)

Zero Mission is a really weird game, in retrospect, especially in terms of the pacing and how the areas connect together; some of this owes to ways it tries to be faithful to the original Metroid, but I certainly don't think all of it does (especially since a lot of the most questionable pacing decisions come about when it decides to be completely original).

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I also never figured out the wall jump in Super, I get you're meant to press away from the wall, but it seemed like every time I did it, the game interpreted the input as air control and moving Samus away from the wall before I could get the jump input in. Zero mission owns though and is due a remaster, I think.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Crazy Achmed posted:

Zero mission owns though and is due a remaster, I think.

"Metroid: Double-Zero Samus"

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Explopyro posted:

Watching Nat play this is incredibly frustrating and I can't wait to see some of the later sections :)

Zero Mission is a really weird game, in retrospect, especially in terms of the pacing and how the areas connect together; some of this owes to ways it tries to be faithful to the original Metroid, but I certainly don't think all of it does (especially since a lot of the most questionable pacing decisions come about when it decides to be completely original).

They also give the bosses way too little hp.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

You better shinespark that good

Also I'd love to see the mario game lp'd f you won't do the giant robots.