Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Come for Nat's Jumping Skills, stay for a discussion on pixel art in games. I can live with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"
I wish I were capable (and funny).

Nat: I want the Springball!
Tea: We have Springball at home.
The Springball at home: <gif of morph ball bomb hopping>

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Nat forgetting to take the heal every time he picks up an item will never not be funny to me.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Commander Keene posted:

Nat forgetting to take the heal every time he picks up an item will never not be funny to me.

Nat ain't got time for that

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I think for the shinespark puzzle you have to hold the d-pad in the direction you're gonna be running in as you hit the ledge, so hold left in this case.

Then you can hold down again to store the speed again.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I've never really enjoyed shine spark puzzles in Metroid games because it always feels like the designers map out the exact bare minimum number of spaces you'll need to build up a charge, and then that's all you get. So you have no margin for error or wiggle room. It's intensely frustrating.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

W.T. Fits posted:

I've never really enjoyed shine spark puzzles in Metroid games because it always feels like the designers map out the exact bare minimum number of spaces you'll need to build up a charge, and then that's all you get. So you have no margin for error or wiggle room. It's intensely frustrating.

Yeah this is my main gripe with the Speed Booster across the series: it feels like 25% a traversal tool and 75% a way to put the screws on people going for 100%, with or without a time cap.

Anyway this is my favorite 2D Metroid and getting 100% completion under 2 hours is one of my prouder pro-gamer accomplishments. They really make you work for it, for reasons which may or may not be described in this post!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Hey all, slightly early episode for you, the Patreon early video will be late however as Tea and I are literally just about to record the next set of videos!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I've been playing through Zero Mission (also blind) in my free time, and I got stuck on the puzzle where you had to bring the ticks through the lava/acid to the plant because it never entered my mind that the ticks were wearing mini Varia suits. :newlol: Also got stuck on the bug larva blocking the tunnel for distressingly long.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Commander Keene posted:

Also got stuck on the bug larva blocking the tunnel for distressingly long.

That one gets a lot of people. You can see the logic in hindsight but it's *just* shy of being intuitive.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I have finished the game.

The conclusion is that I am not very good at Metroid.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Your data requires further testing. More science! More space jumps! More Shinespark puzzles!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Natural 20 posted:

I have finished the game.

The conclusion is that I am not very good at Metroid.

I thought you did ok,

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giiaNc9jKAg

Art will be up shortly!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Never seen anybody die to Kraid, never seen anybody die to Mother Brain... how many people HAVE you seen play this game for the first time? Because I see that quite a lot. They're fights that require precision shooting when your footing isn't solid, that's a recipe for failure.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Congrats on finishing the game! See you next mission.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, I didn't die to Kraid or Ridley in my recent first playthrough of this game, but I did die to Mother Brain. It's not a good boss fight!

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Sadly no, you can't just Speed Boost and Shinespark your entire way into Mother Brain and tear right through her.
I'd imagine that's why those missile walls are there in both Zero Mission and Super, specifically to prevent a well-placed Shinespark.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Yeah, every time Tea said "if you want the game to have any challenge you shouldn't try to 100% the powerups" I thought you were setting a huge red flag that Nat was going to die to Mother Brain. Well, no, I actually expected that to mean Nat would die to Mother Brain multiple times, so I guess you exceeded my cynical thoughts (barely).

And yeah it was almost painful watching Nat struggle with the controls. It really brought home how much familiarity with Metroid style controls colors my opinions of the games' difficulty.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I'm sure this part really bugged some people, but I loved it. Contrasting with SA-X those segments were fun but very scripted, and breaking the script usually meant failure. Here there's some forced places to lose alarms, some places that are easy to get caught (the alarmless run mentioned heavily requires knowing exactly what's going on, I think I did it once or at least close), but even at non-difficult parts everywhere you can get into trouble you have *some* chance of getting back out of it. That always bugs me in stealth games, where you basically need to do it fail-less because you flip into combat mode. Sometimes you can hide again (Dishonored for example) but in a lot of older stealth games once they know you're there that's it. So frustrating.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Oct 16, 2023

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Isn't the vulnerable phase on the Chozo trial boss on a strict timer? So you're supposed to keep track of the cooldown for it and line up your shot by prediction, not reaction.

Doing perfect stealth is hilarious though. Space pirates go from celebrating they shot down the Hunter to "oh god oh god an even angrier Hunter is here plasma beaming our base"

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Omobono posted:

Isn't the vulnerable phase on the Chozo trial boss on a strict timer? So you're supposed to keep track of the cooldown for it and line up your shot by prediction, not reaction.

Doing perfect stealth is hilarious though. Space pirates go from celebrating they shot down the Hunter to "oh god oh god an even angrier Hunter is here plasma beaming our base"

Yeah, I think that's the trick based on what I saw in the video and from what I vaguely recall from playing this myself years ago.

The vulnerability window decreases after each successful hit, so that by the time you get to the last one, you have to predict it instead of react to it.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Omobono posted:

Space pirates go from celebrating they shot down the Hunter to "oh god oh god an even angrier Hunter is here plasma beaming our base"

The Samus experience in a nutshell.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Put me down as another Zero Suit section liker. It really understands the Zero Mission imperative of "always be moving", and does a good job of keeping the tension going all throughout. Most of the alarms can be dodged if you're careful, but a few of them (the very first one, the one that forces you to flee the mothership, and the final chase before getting the suit) feel mandatory. A no-alarm run of the section sounds really tough to pull off.

E: Watching one on YT now and I know why I never managed this: I can't wall-jump in these games for poo poo :v:

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Oct 17, 2023

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

C-Euro posted:

A no-alarm run of the section sounds really tough to pull off.

It is. If I remember right there's a couple of really tight things, basically pixel-perfect.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Omobono posted:

I figured it *might* be a timer but there's no tell for the actual timer itself so you kinda just have to count out loud between openings?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Nat is a LOT better at the suitless section of Zero Mission than I was in my playthrough. I died a lot. Enough that I took a break from the game for a while. Not really a fan, TBH.

To be fair to Nat regarding that one room he did die in (which somehow managed to be the one room I did perfectly), technically when you're shooting those blocks on the run (crawl?) up to the door, the game is teaching you that shooting those blocks ONLY gets rid of those blocks. Then suddenly you shoot an identical block and it kills the entire platform you and the enemies are standing on. I'd call that bad visual communication.

Also not really a huge fan of the boss, TBH, for mainly the same reasons Nat stated. Knowing that the boss is vulnerable on a timer is one thing, being able to keep track of that while the boss is careening around the room and shooting lightning at you is a different story. I also beat it mostly by luck. IMO the whole suitless section sucks, then you're back in the Power Suit with all your missing upgrades and the game is good again.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Commander Keene posted:

Also not really a huge fan of the boss, TBH, for mainly the same reasons Nat stated. Knowing that the boss is vulnerable on a timer is one thing, being able to keep track of that while the boss is careening around the room and shooting lightning at you is a different story. I also beat it mostly by luck. IMO the whole suitless section sucks, then you're back in the Power Suit with all your missing upgrades and the game is good again.

Honestly looking back, I think boss fights are Zero Mission’s worst aspect by a mile, they’re either too easy or frustrating or both.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

bladeworksmaster posted:

Honestly looking back, I think boss fights are Zero Mission’s worst aspect by a mile, they’re either too easy or frustrating or both.

This is how I feel too. Either their entire body is vulnerable to missile spam, or they have an extremely specific, often temporary weak spot that can feel like it needs pixel-perfect shots to hit.

Zero Mission isn't the only Metroid game that suffers from this. I almost spiked my Wii nunchuck into the floor out of frustration fighting Mogenar.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

bladeworksmaster posted:

Most of them are just kinda bland. I dunno if it's just because I'm not an expert in Metroid, but Kraid and Ridley felt basically identical to their Super fights, and the rest kinda felt like upgraded minibosses that I barely even remember at best. This one and Mother Brain are the only real frustrating bosses.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Natural 20 posted:

I figured it *might* be a timer but there's no tell for the actual timer itself so you kinda just have to count out loud between openings?

Yup.

Anyone know if there are major differences between the JP and USA version of the game? Speedrunners overwhelmingly use the JP version.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Speedrunners tend to use the Japanese version of games a lot because there's less text overall usually.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

And that's it for Zero Mission! There might be a Brucie bonus speedrun episode, but by popular demand we're going to be trying out Super Mario Wonder co-op in our next set!

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Congratulations on your heroic escape in a hijacked cyber-sperm

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
The 100% completion run of this game is good fun but boy do they make you backtrack for it. There is a way off of the mothership and back into the rest of Zebes, you're not soft-locked into that final zone!

Pretty sure this game and Metroid Prime 2 released in the same year, the Metroid team really wanted people to put off their collectathons until the last possible moment.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

"...you've got to admire [the space pirates'] guts." a fine example of which is splattered across the hood of Samus' escape pod

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Doesn't 100% also double Metal Ridley's health? not that it matters when you have super missiles for days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

FeyerbrandX posted:

Doesn't 100% also double Metal Ridley's health? not that it matters when you have super missiles for days.

Damage doubled, health tripled.