Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Current Episode

About the Game

Metroid Zero Mission is the 2004 installment in the world famous Metroid series of games. Acting as a remake of the original Metroid, released in 1986, it retells Samus' story with updated, visuals gameplay and new secrets that weren't in the official report!

Samus must make her way to the planet Zebes to exterminate all the Metroids and then confront Mother Brain to finally set the galaxy at peace. (That uhh.. doesn't really work out)

Zero Mission represented an interesting challenge for the team at Nintendo. The original Metroid, through the constraints of being a NES game was relatively sparse in its size and decoration, so the challenge for the team was the creation of a game that felt faithful to the original whilst also making Zebes feel like the more populated, lived in world that most remember it as from Super Metroid. Further, the team had just come off the success of both Metroid Fusion and Metroid Prime, so correctly parlaying lessons learned from both games into this remake would require a great deal of finesse.

This is a continuation in our trip through the world of Metroidvanias, which started all the way back with Symphony of the Night, but then hitting up the likes of Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion and Hollow Knight before our last run through of a Metroid game, Metroid Dread.

Through these I've proven to have a talent for some of these and well, a maddening lack of skill at others. But I can say that I've really grown to appreciate the genre, with each of these titles bringing delight, frustration and everything in between. So to return to Metroid once more for a game that Tea assures me feels very different to its brothers and sisters is something I'm looking forward to.

Will I struggle with the space jump again? Will I enjoy the fast pacing that Zero Mission represents? Will I die in hilarious and embarrassing manners? There's only one way to find out!

About the LP

This is, a blind LP with Yorkshire Tea providing me guidance on where to go in case I get lost. (And perhaps some speedrunning advice?). Episodes will release on Monday, Wednesday and Friday with cheeky early releases for our followers on Patreon.

Art and banners, will, as ever, be handled by the amazing Bifauxnen.

Episodes

Links

Our Patreon! - In case you want to support our LPs, see episodes early and *gasp* get your name in the credits!

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Oct 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

AtomikKrab posted:

mmm Metroid

Also Nat, have you played Armored Core 6 yet? If you haven't... BLIND LP IT.

Its worth it.

I haven't touched AC6 yet.

I'm interested primarily because someone linked this to me:

But on the other hand I loving hated Bloodborne so I am now incredibly suspicious of all FromSoft.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

AtomikKrab posted:

Nat is your greatest enemy... platforming?

ONLY IN METROID.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Hey all, slightly early episode for you, the Patreon early video will be late however as Tea and I are literally just about to record the next set of videos!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I have finished the game.

The conclusion is that I am not very good at Metroid.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giiaNc9jKAg

Art will be up shortly!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Omobono posted:

Isn't the vulnerable phase on the Chozo trial boss on a strict timer? So you're supposed to keep track of the cooldown for it and line up your shot by prediction, not reaction.

Doing perfect stealth is hilarious though. Space pirates go from celebrating they shot down the Hunter to "oh god oh god an even angrier Hunter is here plasma beaming our base"

I figured it *might* be a timer but there's no tell for the actual timer itself so you kinda just have to count out loud between openings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

And that's it for Zero Mission! There might be a Brucie bonus speedrun episode, but by popular demand we're going to be trying out Super Mario Wonder co-op in our next set!