Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

W.T. Fits posted:

I've never really enjoyed shine spark puzzles in Metroid games because it always feels like the designers map out the exact bare minimum number of spaces you'll need to build up a charge, and then that's all you get. So you have no margin for error or wiggle room. It's intensely frustrating.

Yeah this is my main gripe with the Speed Booster across the series: it feels like 25% a traversal tool and 75% a way to put the screws on people going for 100%, with or without a time cap.

Anyway this is my favorite 2D Metroid and getting 100% completion under 2 hours is one of my prouder pro-gamer accomplishments. They really make you work for it, for reasons which may or may not be described in this post!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Put me down as another Zero Suit section liker. It really understands the Zero Mission imperative of "always be moving", and does a good job of keeping the tension going all throughout. Most of the alarms can be dodged if you're careful, but a few of them (the very first one, the one that forces you to flee the mothership, and the final chase before getting the suit) feel mandatory. A no-alarm run of the section sounds really tough to pull off.

E: Watching one on YT now and I know why I never managed this: I can't wall-jump in these games for poo poo :v:

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Oct 17, 2023

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
The 100% completion run of this game is good fun but boy do they make you backtrack for it. There is a way off of the mothership and back into the rest of Zebes, you're not soft-locked into that final zone!

Pretty sure this game and Metroid Prime 2 released in the same year, the Metroid team really wanted people to put off their collectathons until the last possible moment.