Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Tea seems to have a bit of an echo when he gets loud, I noticed it a bit in the last episode too. Maybe it's your mike picking him up on your end?

I also find having an area just named "Kraid" and "Ridley" kind of silly, but it's a GBA remake of an NES game, what're you gonna do? :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Nat forgetting to take the heal every time he picks up an item will never not be funny to me.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I've been playing through Zero Mission (also blind) in my free time, and I got stuck on the puzzle where you had to bring the ticks through the lava/acid to the plant because it never entered my mind that the ticks were wearing mini Varia suits. :newlol: Also got stuck on the bug larva blocking the tunnel for distressingly long.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, I didn't die to Kraid or Ridley in my recent first playthrough of this game, but I did die to Mother Brain. It's not a good boss fight!

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Sadly no, you can't just Speed Boost and Shinespark your entire way into Mother Brain and tear right through her.
I'd imagine that's why those missile walls are there in both Zero Mission and Super, specifically to prevent a well-placed Shinespark.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Nat is a LOT better at the suitless section of Zero Mission than I was in my playthrough. I died a lot. Enough that I took a break from the game for a while. Not really a fan, TBH.

To be fair to Nat regarding that one room he did die in (which somehow managed to be the one room I did perfectly), technically when you're shooting those blocks on the run (crawl?) up to the door, the game is teaching you that shooting those blocks ONLY gets rid of those blocks. Then suddenly you shoot an identical block and it kills the entire platform you and the enemies are standing on. I'd call that bad visual communication.

Also not really a huge fan of the boss, TBH, for mainly the same reasons Nat stated. Knowing that the boss is vulnerable on a timer is one thing, being able to keep track of that while the boss is careening around the room and shooting lightning at you is a different story. I also beat it mostly by luck. IMO the whole suitless section sucks, then you're back in the Power Suit with all your missing upgrades and the game is good again.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

bladeworksmaster posted:

Honestly looking back, I think boss fights are Zero Mission’s worst aspect by a mile, they’re either too easy or frustrating or both.
Most of them are just kinda bland. I dunno if it's just because I'm not an expert in Metroid, but Kraid and Ridley felt basically identical to their Super fights, and the rest kinda felt like upgraded minibosses that I barely even remember at best. This one and Mother Brain are the only real frustrating bosses.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Speedrunners tend to use the Japanese version of games a lot because there's less text overall usually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

So when I was playing this, it was on an actual GBA SP with a flashcart, and when I got to the end of the escape sequence, the game froze on the ending cutscene. If I'd known that was the ending cutscene at the time, I might have just let it go at that, but I tried again and it froze again. Turns out it was the special features of the flashcart that the game was allergic to (suspend and save states), and turning them off allowed me to actually complete the game.