Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nesamdoom
Probation
Can't post for 25 hours!
I got approved for financing a computer. like a 36 month payment thing. Had this lappy for almost ten years. Trying not to go crazy and owe a bunch, but also want to get a computer that still does whatever I want in several years. Really I could go pretty low and have a big jump over what I'm running, but without as much longevity. I'm conflicted because really I'm gonna play CS:GO and GW2 plus a bunch of indie games that already run on a 770m, but I also love the idea of kicking settings up on a few solo rpgs or speeding through video renders. So far I got either like 1,400 or 2,000 for builds. both would be less than my phone bill and really could replace me getting home internet and not really be much different. But, do I really need a higher spec computer to watch youtube, photoshop pig balls, and make random weird posts? Should I get into social media to justify the cost by being chronically online arguing with people over opinions? Should I get better at video production and stop just making lovely CS:GO frag videos to put to songs because I think it's fun? Would setting up 6 monitors be an improvement over 2 when I'm going to end up having multiple screens of browsers full of tabs of all the stupid things I look up but don't do anything with? Would stacking 4 monitors vertically look awesome going up the wall? Would a 27 inch touchscreen monitor just for an android emulator make my Hayday game better? Is Hayday still a thing, like do people play it still? How much time would I spend showering extra with a 40 inch waterproof touchscreen monitor running Angry Birds? This one I know the answer too, about 4 hours more than needed. Should I buy VR stuff? I don't even like much of this world, would virtual worlds just give me new anxiety and more stuff to refuse to acknowledge? Can I get enough usb splitters for enough assignment of keyboards to fill my bedroom to capacity and let everyone in the room play Heretic at once? Is there really much point to not just saying gently caress it and only playing Heretic? Brutal Heretic is pretty good at upgrading the experience... Will Windows 11 even run Ski Free? I still want to play the same poo poo I did when I was in 5th grade and was so excited to have a computer at home. Will I ever grow up? Should I? Is this post getting long and pointlessly into existential area? Would using this computer for educational purposes justify the expense? Is one plasma donation a month even really that much of an expense? The computer has to be worth more than one day of frivolous spending while drunk, but will I ever accidentally use the computer to end up fixing interpersonal relationships? Will it help me communicate? Would leaving OpenAI on a monitor all the time remind me to run things through it to make sure I'm not coming across sounding wrong? Should I just be remembering to do that on my own? Should I figure out how to set up texting through a terminal based program that makes me triple confirm that I mean to send what I'm sending? Do bananas ever wear pajamas? How odd that it takes an entire day of painting to notice paint splatter and then even only after the job is reassigned to bananas, what the gently caress? Why on Tuesdays are they trying to catch them? Do I need a specific monitor with it's own speakers to constantly stream episodes of old t.v. shows? Am I still under a tenth of the max post length? Do you know that raisins are sometimes made from grapes with seeds? Would it be hilarious to spend 3k on a computer and just install Arch and run it from prompt? links2 is pretty good from what I remember. could still tmux and listen to podcasts or music while looking stuff up. Should I get a cpu cooler with a screen just to have spent an extra 50 bucks just to load a gif of the hammock kitty? Would I need to look at it often or would just knowing that, if anyone crawls under the desk and looks at the computer that they will see the cute homie swinging so lax, make it worth the time/money/effort? Is a joke that won't land for pretty much anyone else still worth it if I laugh? If I can only perceive from my view then does that mean I might as well just focus on the jokes that, likely, only I will find funnySee current post for reference? Am I responsible for considering the potential uses for future money that could help others, but make me continue on ignoring things for myself? Would this get me probed in most forums?... Probably. Would it be funny to anyone?... Not likely. Should I wrap this up before my 40 is gone? I'm still not at 5k and I feel like that might mean something. Would writing a life story get me to 50k? Would anyone ever read that? Why make a case that's pretty much just a test bench sideways? Why have the pane of glass that's floating at the end of posts without anything on the 4 areas between it and the case/mountpoint? I want some spicy ramen. Can I get an upgrade to have the computer make me ramen? Should I build a computer myself or go with a company I like that did my laptop customizing and stuff? I can't afford the computer without financing unless I start piecing it together, so would case, mobo, power, a stick of ram, cpu w/integrated, any drive be worth building for some cash to have a super light setup? Adding stuff along the way could work? Would it be a waste of money to have to replace the cpu with a more viable one later? Same for RAM, storage, power supply, case, and drive? Is there a thing behind the axe question in John Dies at the End where they posit whether or not the axe is the same axe if you replace the handle and then replace the head? I am typing this in Hello & Chat, but I think I'll thread post this(sorry if I didn't). But, would this be sufficient chat? What am I missing on thinking about for this new computer? What should I be asking from the company building it? I've pretty much figured out that I'll upgrade the RAM and throw drives in myself, other than the 500GB nvme, and whatever things I can, but am I wrong to mostly focus on having them do the cpu/gpu upgrades? Is the difference of a couple hundred dollars worth the time spent overthinking things and stressing out about building the computer? Is building one harder than swapping parts from computers to other ones? Since I put a new fan in my laptop should I have spent all this time just playing games? Should I have went to bed already? Should I stay up playing Terraria and sleep all morning? Should I already have put some spicy noodles in the microwave? Why don't phones have something that can work as a lighter? Would it be unsafe to build a lighter coil into a computer? If I hook it to a device I don't need and use hardware disabling for that device unless I want to light something, would that make it better? Am I going to put them noodles in the microwave? gently caress yea. Will anyone understand the point? Are the noodles spicy, yes, but does it matter? I don't know. I don't know if it matters that I'm not going to bother going to get another drink from the store after I eat and this one is gone or if I care really that I need to buy a new monitor because these days VGA just isn't considered useful enough to add to parts. Will I bin my extra monitors or Frankenstein one massive junk media server from several partially Frank'd media servers that used to be home computers? Is there even a point when external drives are cheap and internals have been? Did I make enough noodles? Should I get a couple tortillas and make sure I'm full? Is it bad that rainbow vomit parts are standard now? When it's harder to get something without a 'feature' does the lack become a feature? Minimalism, simplicity, and functionality are just ways of saying that something doesn't have unneeded poo poo, but does that make them worth more or is the system hosed up that value is attributed to non essentials at higher priority than purpose? Noodles are spicy and delicious.

TL;DR Should I order a new computer now or in a few months?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fredrik1

Gopherslayer
:rock:
yes

Scuba Trooper

idk, op. sorry

92723_5
but have you budgeted for manually cleaning your work area at Starbucks?

DoomCroissant

Roll D3 for Delicious Flaky Crust
yes to computer

now my eyes must scream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesamdoom
Probation
Can't post for 25 hours!
This has given me a push to figure out a final configuration and in October I'll be putting in an order.