Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR3YChbUJmY

Directed by Gareth Edwards (Monsters, Monsters: Dark Continent)
Written by Gareth Edwards and Chris Weitz (Nutty Professor II: The Klumps, Twilight: New Moon)
Music by Hans Zimmer (The Lion King, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2)

Starring:

John David Washington (Malcolm X, Tenet) as Joshua
Madeleine Yuna Voyles (The Creator, some commercials probably) as Alphie
Allison Janney (Private Parts, I Tonya) as Howell
Sturgill Simpson (The Righteous Gemstones, Killers of the Flower Moon) as Drew
Veronica Ngo (Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon: Sword of Destiny, Da 5 Bloods) as Kami
Gemma Chan (The IT Crowd, Transformers: The Last Knight ) as Maya
Ken Wantanbe (Batman Begins The Video Game, Transformers: Age of Extinction) as Harun
Amar Chadha-Patel (Army of One, Willow) as multiple characters, Omni, Bei, Sek-on don't know if that's a spoiler but just in case
Ralph Ineson (The IT Crowd, The VVitch) as Andrews
Marc Menchaca (Generation Kill, Manifest) as McBride
Robbie Tann (Mare of Easttown, Niles Dean Lives In A Parking Space Under the Bridge) as Shipley
Michael Esper (Do No Harm, Frances Ha) as Cotton
Ian Verdun (General Hospital, Siren) as Daniels
Rad Pereira ([Blank] My Life, Betty) as Lambert
Daniel Ray Rodriguez (The Outpost, Poker Face) as Hardwick
Syd Skidmore (Who's That Hemingway, Me Time) as Bradbury
Karen Aldridge (Fargo, Severance) as Thankey
Teerawat Mulvilai (Only God Forgives, Thirteen Lives) as Boonmee

Since there seem to be some criticisms that this original non-franchise science fiction action movie is derivative, let it be known that Edwards has said that this film takes specific inspiration from: Apocalypse Now (1979), Baraka (1992), Blade Runner (1982), Akira (1988), Rain Man (1988), The Hit (1984), E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982) and Paper Moon (1973). Make of that what you will.

Blood Boils fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Oct 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Placeholder for good or interesting or entertaining reviews, either by goons or "professionals"

Personally, I'm pumped based on Edwards previous work. Also curious to see Sturgill act, big fan of his music (he plays both kinds, country AND western).

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2023/10/its-not-too-late-to-make-the-creator-a-sleeper-hit Do your duty nerds!

Best the thread has produced so far:

ShoogaSlim posted:

everything i've read about this basically says this is a good movie if you like looking at pretty visuals but it's a bad movie if you like a coherent plot that's not derivative

i don't particularly give a poo poo about how visually impressive a movie is if it doesn't have anything interesting to say.

scored a good seat for this with AMC A List both last night and tonight and wound up cancelling both times. just can't sit through 2 hours of who-cares and seen-it-all-before-but-better

Blood Boils fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Oct 9, 2023

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I can't wait to see Rise Of The Chappies.

edit: Elysium: Rise of the Chappie

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Arise Chappies, chappies arise.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Does look pretty cool though, been looking forward to it since the trailer dropped

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
just saw it

any questions?

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Sep 27, 2023

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Was that chappie?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

i didnt watch chappie

(dont like die antwoord)

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Did u like it?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I will admit to mixed feelings

it's very very well put together and looks great

had trouble buying some of the story choices

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

no plot spoilers but I would describe it as

vibes movie with a cover shooter for Xbox and PS5 getting in the way

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

There was a crouching tiger hidden dragon 2??

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Alan Smithee posted:

no plot spoilers but I would describe it as

vibes movie with a cover shooter for Xbox and PS5 getting in the way

I’m 100% fine with this to be honest

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I already know you’re gonna love it

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Sick. I sadly will probably have to wait until it’s streaming due to life crap but I’m looking forward too it

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

weekly font posted:

There was a crouching tiger hidden dragon 2??

Yeah it sucked poo poo in a lot of ways and also is adapted from a much later book in the series Crouching Tiger is from which was a weird choice imo, like they didn't want to commit to having too much Michelle Yeoh. It was going to be released in theaters originally but then Netflix decided against that so it just got unceremoniously added to the Netflix library.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Alan Smithee posted:

just saw it

any questions?

Would the film have been improved if all the robots had been Johnny-5?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Failson posted:

That's not fair, that's like every movie.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk
Let's gooooo, Veronica Ngooo~

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Failson posted:

Honestly a single one would have for sure

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
indian robot watching robot strippers

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

Alan Smithee posted:

just saw it

any questions?

did they keep the shot where somebody CGed over footage of the Beirut port explosion

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Was interested until I saw this..

Blood Boils posted:

From the minds of Gareth Edwards (Monsters, Monsters: Dark Continent) and Chris Weitz (Nutty Professor II, Twilight: New Moon)!

Which...yikes. does not inspire confidence.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

VROOM VROOM posted:

did they keep the shot where somebody CGed over footage of the Beirut port explosion

I don't think so?

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
Fine movie, kinda makes you feel like you took some cough syrup or something before the reel starts. But I don't think there's much beyond what they show you.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

banned from Starbucks posted:

lol

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
What a strange collection of scenes. Very little of the world setting makes any sense.

Kudos for Gareth Edwards for tricking the studio in letting him remake Star Wars and do an audition for the Cyberpunk 2077 TV show

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
ooo it's an Arnon Milchan production. this one is going to be good

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Alan Smithee posted:

just saw it

any questions?

how long should it have been instead of 2+ hours?

Gahmah
Nov 4, 2009
Like 3? The middle bonding is very fast

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
Movie looked great, music was great, acting was great even the kid.

I don't know what it is. GF was raving about it. I thought it was aight.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Great aesthetic and some of the character stuff was pretty nice and deft i really liked hookah bot running away from the hiding kids to save them but gotta echo this is a major vibes movie. Some of the story stuff just didn't make sense.

My big gripe is like the US military has no trouble war crimes executing defenseless monkbots but wont kill a kid robot that they view as a world ending threat? The end of this movie especially is a logic nightmare.

Still was fun and sooo cool to look at.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
I love the general aesthetic of the us army (explicitly smallcaps on their iconography)

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

banned from Starbucks posted:

new moon was p solid

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Like most seem to be saying, it looks great, totally nails the live action anime they're aiming for. But it's just scenes that someone throws exposition in between that isn't well written or really helpful. It's possible that if you saw this movie dubbed in a language you didn't understand without subtitles, you'd enjoy it more because there's a very clear story visually that the dialogue doesn't help with.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

everything i've read about this basically says this is a good movie if you like looking at pretty visuals but it's a bad movie if you like a coherent plot that's not derivative

i don't particularly give a poo poo about how visually impressive a movie is if it doesn't have anything interesting to say.

scored a good seat for this with AMC A List both last night and tonight and wound up cancelling both times. just can't sit through 2 hours of who-cares and seen-it-all-before-but-better

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
*stomps feet and crosses arms angrily, furrowing brow and pouting as they post*

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

honestly im more disappointed than angry or pouty. i like sci-fi and think it can produce some of the greatest stories with its setting and themes. i'm also stoked that it apparently proves that you can pull off exceptional visuals at a fraction of the budget of mainstream drek that's been churned out nonstop the last few years.

but if the movie has a paint by the numbers story then no amount of pretty explosions and lasers can make up for being bored at the theater :shrug:

e: but hey there's no point droning on about a movie i haven't seen and probably won't bother with in the thread dedicated to it. i hope it gets some academy nods for its technical achievements and that this inspires more opportunities to make mid budget original genre movies.

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Sep 29, 2023

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
I confused the director for this with the director for the Raid, because there's just so many bits of Southeast Asian flavor in this.

But then again, every time NOMAD shows up it's like a miniature of whenever the Death Star does in Rogue One.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

RangerKarl posted:

I confused the director for this with the director for the Raid, because there's just so many bits of Southeast Asian flavor in this.

But then again, every time NOMAD shows up it's like a miniature of whenever the Death Star does in Rogue One.

Lol

I saw this as a double feature (I say that but had to pay for both :shepspends:) with an Indian movie called Kill that’s basically the Raid on a train