Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
This came to Netflix not long ago and I made time for it. While I haven't finished digesting my thoughts on it, my initial impression was: drat, what a movie-rear end movie!

Really enjoyed it. It made Avatar and Blade Runner 2049 both look like poo poo in comparison. Frankly, it felt like the better than/actually good version of a dozen different recent and semi-recent scifi films. God drat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

El Grillo posted:

But sounds like given the issues with the writing, I should just watch this on streaming instead?

The film has great writing. People's brains just melt when you tell them that US military is bad.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Archer666 posted:

Want to say cheap emotional punch to add an extra feeling to a forgetable ending of a forgetable and story-wise bland movie.

It was a shocking moment to an ending that stuck with people, as proven by the fact that we're having this discussion at all.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Archer666 posted:

Cheap emotional punches are effective on some people. But considering the person I quoted seems to be questioning the narrative purpose of the scene, as do I and everyone I saw the movie with, I don't think its the intended reason why it stuck with people.

So if it left that much of an impression then why lie and say it was forgettable and bland?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Really bizarre stuff goes uncommented-upon - like the reveal near the end that, despite his ‘inner growth’ as a person, nothing that the protagonist did actually went against America’s interests at all. Or the interesting plot point that he remembers nothing about his wife except literally the scattered images in the prologue. You can list all kinds of stuff in the movie that’s just fuckin’ bonkers.

He doesn't consciously remember much, but he is able to locate and navigate the hidden tunnels that — according to his own recollection — he shouldn't know exist. So what's up with that? Is he able to guess at the tunnels entrance because he's roughly familiar with how Nirmata's operates? Or was this stuff he actually knew that he's repressed?

Josh(poster) mentions how Josh(movie) is an absolute dummy, but if anything that seems like an understatement. He seems barely aware of his own internality, not so much driven as compulsed. His behavior is more robotic than the actual robots! Which I guess makes his ultimate turn against the Americans just another human coding error.

edit: rewrote this

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jan 15, 2024