Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
*stomps feet and crosses arms angrily, furrowing brow and pouting as they post*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Yeah this was a rough one, really dissapointed. Some cool scenes and ideas but incredibly disjointed and clunky. Awkward dialogue and some really rough acting took me out of it a lot of the time, on top of the messy story. Third act was genuinely bad.

Visually impressive and I dig Edwards overall style and vibe but its really apparent why they had to reshoot much of Rogue One if this is anything to go by.

Glad I went and saw it to judge for myself.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

SCheeseman posted:

I'm reminded of Ad Astra, a similarly ambitious movie where the auteur director rattled off a list of influential movies while marketing the movie. Blade Runner? Akira? Wow what depths you have plumbed, I bet you're a big fan of cult director Stanley Kubrick too.

I liked it, but as I've been reading over and over in this thread, it's a really clunky story. But what visuals! I'd love to know how they managed such a low budget. A new, more painful kind of crunch?

Edwards has a lot of background in low budget VFX that look good for their cost, its sort of what he cut his teeth on.

He made a name for himself very early in his career by doing all of the VFX for a BBC documentary he directed about Hannibal, entirely in his home studio using early After Effects and I believe Cinema 4D.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBeHljB6uFU

He then shot, directed and did the VFX for his debut indie, Monsters. Super scrappy low budget production, skeleton crew just driving around South America shooting tons of improv scenes on one of the first cinema grade digital cameras.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z52OHXfLbSU

He's very very good at knowing how to design, shoot for and produce good VFX for a fraction of the cost so when he gets a serious budget he knows how to work wonders with it.

Huge strength of his but he definitely needs to work on his storytelling.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Oct 9, 2023

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I know movies do this sometimes and I always dislike it but the part where Watanabes character is watching the news and they show a shot of JDW climbing outside of NOMAD that we had seen in the movie as a normal shot mere minutes ago was so hilariously stupid.