Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Yes I am Dead Set on moving to one of several potential genocide states

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

what an interesting youtube channel to know about

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Ringo Roadagain posted:

Tom Scott's pretty cool op :cheersbird:

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

steve1989

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Ringo Roadagain posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeW2PulBQ5U

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Weed Wolf posted:

central market (and hell, HEB) beats out gus' any day. Texas Supremacy
i had to turn the heater on the morning of July 4th. I think the high this summer was 83? Maybe? gently caress Texas Forever.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

TenementFunster posted:

i had to turn the heater on the morning of July 4th. I think the high this summer was 83? Maybe? gently caress Texas Forever.

the pacific ocean can suck my loving dick. it's unnatural to make things cold like that

texas isn't bad if you keep your ac at a crisp, cool 79

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

i say swears online posted:

the pacific ocean can suck my loving dick. it's unnatural to make things cold like that

It’s entirely fine as long as you don’t actually go in the water but I’ve been to Texas and I’ll be damned if I’d go in the water there either

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

nah 60F is very natural. 113F is not. texas is awful. the weather is dogshit. mediterranean climate rules. i should never be 113F outside in a city where people live.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
San Antonio isn't terrible, just really boring. That said, sometimes people just need cities to raise families in.

I would say San Francisco for all the bluster just really didn't change that much tbh. It just got more expensive for the same experience. If anything a lot of the town just feels lost in time and a lot of seems like it was 20-30 years. Fixing up the Presido is a nice change.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

The bay area sucks. California sucks. Liberal Texas.

Any place in the world: "Yeah it's cool."

Texans: *Frothing in rage*

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

TenementFunster posted:

nah 60F is very natural. 113F is not. texas is awful. the weather is dogshit. mediterranean climate rules. i should never be 113F outside in a city where people live.
mediterranean? brother you're oceanic until a few miles inland. people shouldn't have to dress in layers to walk a hundred yards

HashtagGirlboss posted:

It’s entirely fine as long as you don’t actually go in the water but I’ve been to Texas and I’ll be damned if I’d go in the water there either
never go in texas water, even the lakes

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Any place in the world: "Yeah it's cool."

Texans: *Frothing in rage*
you've just made an enemy for life

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

you've just made an enemy for life

I'm from Los Angeles. Get in line with all the other Haters. Texas ain't special. You're just the second loving biggest state in the union.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

I'm from Los Angeles. Get in line with all the other Haters. Texas ain't special. You're just the second loving biggest state in the union.

when i was a teen i went to alaska to build houses and a local teen greeted me by saying "what happens if you cut alaska in half? texas is the third-largest state" and i got owned

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I blame rice-a-roni on lost cause theory, personally

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

when i was a teen i went to alaska to build houses and a local teen greeted me by saying "what happens if you cut alaska in half? texas is the third-largest state" and i got owned

Just annex Oklahoma, New Mexico, Kansas and Colorado already.
Nobody gives a poo poo about those states .

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

And then give Texas back to Mexico Spain

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

HashtagGirlboss posted:

And then give Texas back to Mexico Spain

move the capital of coahuila y tejas back to saltillo

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

mediterranean? brother you're oceanic until a few miles inland. people shouldn't have to dress in layers to walk a hundred yards
nobody in texas has ever walked a hundred yards

Ardennes posted:

I would say San Francisco for all the bluster just really didn't change that much tbh. It just got more expensive for the same experience. If anything a lot of the town just feels lost in time and a lot of seems like it was 20-30 years.
it is so funny to watch any movie from the 60-70s and see how basically nothing has changed. the rich boomers really succeeded in freezing property developer in time (while they still pay their 1980-level property taxes)

TenementFunster has issued a correction as of 22:45 on Sep 27, 2023

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

TenementFunster posted:

not true, sometimes when it's 110 outside you gotta find a tree in the giant parking lot to park the f150 under and hoof it inside

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

TenementFunster posted:

it is so funny to watch any movie from the 60-70s and see how basically nothing has changed. the rich boomers really succeeded in freezing property developer in time (while they still pay their 1980-level property taxes)

More or less, sometimes it isn't a bad thing in the same most of the ethnic enclaves are still there and also haven't change that much either. It is a bit of an oddity because people are paying 4k a month to live in a growingly quiet town that looks like it is still 1979.

Texas honestly just seemed like a sort of low-rent version of southern California with worse weather. I have no idea why people are angry at this point, they are practically the same place. No one cares about Whataburger versus In and Out.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

deal

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

TenementFunster posted:

i get 12k-15k steps outside daily, even during the summer. owned much?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Everything everything from Pacific coast to Boise down to Houston is just going to be the same place.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

biceps crimes posted:

i get 12k-15k steps outside daily, even during the summer. owned much?

This is the reason why california can't have nice things.
People from Frisco want to talk about Frisco.

*Rest of the country sticks is loving tiny dick into the conversation."

Bunch of loving Elon Musks. "I don't want people to have a cross state Train, so I'm going to gently caress up the conversation."

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Texas sucks!

nuh uh!

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

This is the reason why california can't have nice things.
People from Frisco want to talk about Frisco.

*Rest of the country sticks is loving tiny dick into the conversation."

Bunch of loving Elon Musks. "I don't want people to have a cross state Train, so I'm going to gently caress up the conversation."

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Ardennes posted:

More or less, sometimes it isn't a bad thing in the same most of the ethnic enclaves are still there and also haven't change that much either. It is a bit of an oddity because people are paying 4k a month to live in a growingly quiet town that looks like it is still 1979.

Texas honestly just seemed like a sort of low-rent version of southern California with worse weather. I have no idea why people are angry at this point, they are practically the same place. No one cares about Whataburger versus In and Out.

I mean, things change no matter how badly boomers don’t want them to. Beloved greasy spoons and burger pits and watering holes keep closing because it’s easier and more profitable to just sell the building for ten million dollars instead of handing the business over to somebody else. Every time it happens boomers bitch about how computer touching millennials have ruined the Bay Area (even if said boomers touched computers themselves in the 90s).

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Ardennes posted:

a reasonable premium to not have to live in Dallas/Houston/Austin

honestly, denver is almost as expensive as SF, with a lot less to offer. our old place was a 775ish sqft studio and i just found out rent is going up (again) to $1740 in november. we’re paying 10% more per square foot in SF. there just aren’t enough people who have that kind of money and want to live in denver. we couldn’t even find a sublet at the current price. i’m praying for a reckoning.

it was $1100 a month in 2014 so lol

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

TenementFunster posted:

honestly, denver is almost as expensive as SF, with a lot less to offer. our old place was a 775ish sqft studio and i just found out rent is going up (again) to $1740 in november. we’re paying 10% more per square foot in SF. there just aren’t enough people who have that kind of money and want to live in denver. we couldn’t even find a sublet at the current price. i’m praying for a reckoning.

i think things are kinda collapsing in austin? like look at this poo poo, if i didn't have six more months on my lease i'd jump on this in a heartbeat

https://www.padmapper.com/apartment...3434%2C30.29793

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

TenementFunster posted:

Admittedly, it does make sense at a certain point that the capital that has been pent on in the tech industry was going to gradually diffuse into the rest of the Western US. COVID probably just sped it up along with the broader economic/credit bubble that is going on.

I don't see rent going down in SF, at the end of the day there is no where to build and people will want to live there, it is just rents across the West coast and then up to the Mississippi that are going to equalize, and there will be no where to escape to beyond the rust belt.

If you were a boomer who bought in the 70s/80s and were paying property taxes from the era, would you move or just enjoy what is still a pretty comfortable town to live in?

------

Those rents seem suspiciously low for central Austin.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 23:36 on Sep 27, 2023

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

i think things are kinda collapsing in austin? like look at this poo poo, if i didn't have six more months on my lease i'd jump on this in a heartbeat

https://www.padmapper.com/apartment...3434%2C30.29793

Word is finally getting out that Austin is way overrated for how much it costs to live there now. If you don’t need to live near a tech office, why would subject yourself to CA-level rent with TX car-centric living? At least Denver’s got A-tier hiking and skiing nearby.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

i think things are kinda collapsing in austin?
couldn’t happen to a nicer place. i was there last in late 2021 and it was even cornier than when i saw it in 2009 before tech bullshit really hit it

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Ardennes posted:

I don't see rent going down in SF, at the end of the day there is no where to build and people will want to live there
my neighbor said our place was renting for $750 a month more pre-covid so laffo.

but yeah i was here for like a weekend and realized at once why the boomers love this place. every city in the nation needs to enact this anti-chain restaurant ordinance

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

TenementFunster posted:

couldn’t happen to a nicer place. i was there last in late 2021 and it was even cornier than when i saw it in 2009 before tech bullshit really hit it

corny is a great word for austin now yeah

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
LA is weird because it's full of transplants that won't stop talking about how much they hate it, but they won't leave.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites
Just going to a park or landmark in broad daylight and coming back to a smashed window cause someone thought the jacket you left in the backseat was covering a purse with 20 bucks of cash and a bunch of cards that'll get canceled before they can be used.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Zisky posted:

LA is weird because it's full of transplants that won't stop talking about how much they hate it, but they won't leave.

That’s because LA is full of people who think they’re too cool to admit they like it there so they posture endlessly about how awful and fake it is

This is not an endorsement of LA so much as an observation that the average LA transplant secretly knows they’re exactly the kind of person everyone hates about LA

HashtagGirlboss has issued a correction as of 00:29 on Sep 28, 2023

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Zisky posted:

thats seattle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

AnimeIsTrash posted:

thats seattle

Same thing I just said about LA applies equally to Seattle

Say what you will about wastelands like NYC and Dallas and Miami, at least the transplants are happy to admit they’re there because they want to be there