Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Meh San Francisco is expensive but honestly it kind of felt like the techbro period was over and the “hoards of roaming homeless” was really exaggerated. Honestly, in many ways, it isn’t that different of a city it was in the past once work from home settled out.

It is economics punishing to live there but it isn’t a bad place to visit. Seattle is kind of the same.

Portland took a much harsher hit the last couple years. Portland is relatively cheaper but also more chaotic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

i say swears online posted:

who cares if a place is nice to visit

We are talking about America, there is no where actually good to live.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
San Antonio isn't terrible, just really boring. That said, sometimes people just need cities to raise families in.

I would say San Francisco for all the bluster just really didn't change that much tbh. It just got more expensive for the same experience. If anything a lot of the town just feels lost in time and a lot of seems like it was 20-30 years. Fixing up the Presido is a nice change.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

TenementFunster posted:

it is so funny to watch any movie from the 60-70s and see how basically nothing has changed. the rich boomers really succeeded in freezing property developer in time (while they still pay their 1980-level property taxes)

More or less, sometimes it isn't a bad thing in the same most of the ethnic enclaves are still there and also haven't change that much either. It is a bit of an oddity because people are paying 4k a month to live in a growingly quiet town that looks like it is still 1979.

Texas honestly just seemed like a sort of low-rent version of southern California with worse weather. I have no idea why people are angry at this point, they are practically the same place. No one cares about Whataburger versus In and Out.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Everything everything from Pacific coast to Boise down to Houston is just going to be the same place.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

TenementFunster posted:

a reasonable premium to not have to live in Dallas/Houston/Austin

honestly, denver is almost as expensive as SF, with a lot less to offer. our old place was a 775ish sqft studio and i just found out rent is going up (again) to $1740 in november. we’re paying 10% more per square foot in SF. there just aren’t enough people who have that kind of money and want to live in denver. we couldn’t even find a sublet at the current price. i’m praying for a reckoning.

it was $1100 a month in 2014 so lol

Admittedly, it does make sense at a certain point that the capital that has been pent on in the tech industry was going to gradually diffuse into the rest of the Western US. COVID probably just sped it up along with the broader economic/credit bubble that is going on.

I don't see rent going down in SF, at the end of the day there is no where to build and people will want to live there, it is just rents across the West coast and then up to the Mississippi that are going to equalize, and there will be no where to escape to beyond the rust belt.

If you were a boomer who bought in the 70s/80s and were paying property taxes from the era, would you move or just enjoy what is still a pretty comfortable town to live in?

------

Those rents seem suspiciously low for central Austin.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 23:36 on Sep 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
If your in SF, you probably should just chill around the Presidio around sunset.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 08:19 on Sep 28, 2023