Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
???
science
fiction
goku
View Results

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

new movie from the guy who flunked rogue one comes out today/tomorrow/friday maybe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAZuGdi32bk

what do we think? is it science? is it fiction?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countzer
May 27, 2022
It's poo poo.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

gently caress!

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
artstation the film

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Monsters was a giant pile of poo poo and the robot kids looks weird which makes me uncomfortable

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

banned from Starbucks posted:

Monsters was a giant pile of poo poo and the robot kids looks weird which makes me uncomfortable

maybe the real unfeeling uncaring machine is you

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

banned from Starbucks posted:

The only reason to make the face look real and the side and the back of the head not is to make you uncomfortable for the movie. There's no reason to go to that much effort than half rear end it other than that, so I'd vote fiction based on that alone, but the thread is broken and somehow I can't vote goku. Holding off on voting for now in case that bug gets fixed.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Twenty Four posted:

The only reason to make the face look real and the side and the back of the head not is to make you uncomfortable for the movie. There's no reason to go to that much effort than half rear end it other than that, so I'd vote fiction based on that alone, but the thread is broken and somehow I can't vote goku. Holding off on voting for now in case that bug gets fixed.

concerning. will look into it.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

josh04 posted:

concerning. will look into it.

thanks, josh! "one of the good ones" as they say!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

poll amended

CaptainCourteous
Jan 15, 2009
Massive spoiler-ridden thoughtdump on a movie that doesn't deserve to be taken seriously but I'm going to anyway:

1. Does every scifi movie now need to have such blatant character drama overshadow the "high concept" poo poo? OMG THE WEAPON IS A CHILD NEVER SAW THAT COMING BECAUSE IT'S TOTALLY NEVER BEEN DONE BEFORE

2. You know your tired rear end Vietnam/Afghanistan allegory is busted in a dozen places when you have to give characters actual Kalashnikovs to be sure the audience gets it.

3. The US spends a decade and a trillion dollars building Nomad. Seems like something the people who KEPT USING AI THE WHOLE TIME would have been able to match, or at least been able to blow out of the sky instead of just letting it float overhead unmolested. How about target its missile rack with a surface to air missile since apparently all it takes is a demo charge on one to detonate it and since the loving thing is so lacking in perimeter defense that a civilian passenger ship KNOWN TO BE CARRYING THE CHILD is able to approach and dock?

4. More on the Nomad. If you've ever been anywhere within 150 miles of, say, Cape Canaveral when a rocket goes up, you know how far that poo poo is visible from. Ken Watanabe towards the end is like "OMG they found us" as this massive gently caress appears over the nearby mountain. Are you not tracking the trajectory of this thing at all times so you can go underground or whatever if it starts heading your way?

5. Where does the giant tank come from? Seems like it moves pretty slow and you did mention that the nearest base was 400 miles away. Might have been cool to see that thing get plopped down by an even bigger drop ship, but maybe they blew that part of the budget making the backs of people's heads look like Dyson vacuums.

6. Why do the Americans have an AI Research Lab? What is there to know? They already had the existing generation of these things prior to banning them and when Denzel Jr. is talking to Sturgill Simpson in the sexbot factory, he says that the child is basically the only new advancement on the tech because "it grows". I take that to mean the child learns. You know. Like AI learns. So all the other machines were just robots? But you called them AI? And you're not going to study the only one that is new or different? You're just going to throw her in the trash compactor? loving whatever.

7. Why did the Americans wait until everything went tits up to launch missiles against "all remaining AI bases"? If you had that capability all along, why not just loving do it?

I'm sure there's a lot more nitpicking I could do but this movie was such schmaltzy trash that my brain has already begun to purge it so as to make room for memories like how cool it was back when Hollywood screenwriters actually deserved whatever gains these current hacks made after their recent strike.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

CaptainCourteous posted:

6 Denzel Jr. is talking to Sturgill Simpson in the sexbot factory,

The most important plot point I've discovered is that Sturgill Simpson is acting.

Huh, is he any good? I'm not gonna watch this but I may pick up his scenes later just to see.

CaptainCourteous
Jan 15, 2009

McGann posted:

The most important plot point I've discovered is that Sturgill Simpson is acting.

Huh, is he any good? I'm not gonna watch this but I may pick up his scenes later just to see.

I mean, he's no Dwight Yoakam or Kris Kristofferson but he's competent. I hope he gets a meatier role in Killers of the Flower Moon. I think that'll me more his speed.

Oh and his Netflix anime is kinda cool.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
It's pretty good OP, if only the characters were more tactically real thickly drawn lol

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

CaptainCourteous posted:

I mean, he's no Dwight Yoakam or Kris Kristofferson but he's competent. I hope he gets a meatier role in Killers of the Flower Moon. I think that'll me more his speed.

Groovy. Thanks for reminding me about Yoakam in Crank, probably my favorite role he's played.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Sturgill is in Righteous Gemstones S3 too

JAnon
Jul 16, 2023

swear to god this film was written by temps :argh:

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

It wasn't! The director and producer wrote it

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

CaptainCourteous posted:

fkn love that album

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

finally saw it! two good acts and one scrappy as all hell final one. wonder what the ending was before rewrites - robots do 9/11 is a hell of a concept, as was going to heaven to meet your robot dead wife, but everything else was a bit of a bingo draw.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
Seems hard to believe that Denzel Washington Jr.'s wife would really be happy to see him after the events of the first 10 minutes of the movie.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

well yeah, he is not a man in possession of a strong link to reality. he basically ruins the lives of everyone he encounters the whole film long. all he's good for is turning off a life support and he even fucks that up.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I haven't watched the movie, but I have watched this video abut how the fancy futuristic phones they use in the movie is actually a 1997 minidisk recorder/dock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZHYoBWjEdg

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I think the giant tank scene sums up this movie really well: looks great, makes zero sense. It might be worth noting that the movie was written like a decade ago, back when AI was shorthand for "robot" and there was no such thing as chatGPT or weird swirly pictures where everyone has seventeen fingers or an extra row of teeth.
A question for the thread- did the robo-monks leave the life support on because they were robots, or because they were monks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Chatbots + art smashers aren't really AI, they're just slightly fancy versions of like, the word/spelling suggestions when you type. Edwards' robots are based on star wars droids and chappie and other fictional non human people

I think the creator was left on life support because she's their mom

Edit: I guess the monk-bots are pretty old, which would more likely make her father their creator, so she's more like their sister

Blood Boils fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Dec 20, 2023