Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

drk posted:

yeah, you can buy that from china
Nah, they actually look more like this:

Not the funniest thing to wash people in!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Ariong posted:

Remember like two years ago when GameStop had a short squeeze and a few people got rich?

This was a helpful OP, I learned some things. Thanks!

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Pff posted:

Hey guys let's talk about Bitcoin here.

I did well in Jan '21 and my brain flip flops between I Am Very Good At Risk Management and I Am A Lucky Gamble-brained Idiot.

of course buying bitcoin is a gamble. even if you are Very Good at risk management, counterparty risk in crypto has historically been rather high and be your own bank hasnt done much better

jan 21 was the big GME squeeze that launched a thousand apes, it was a good time to buy any dumb poo poo. inmate number 37244-510, sam bankman's fried, was even taken somewhat seriously at the time

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Yeah the GME mega short squeeze did happen. It's unlikely to happen again and a lot of naïve people who bought or held their shares through the squeeze or after it think the company is going to do wonderful things despite evidence to the contrary. A lot of the stuff around BBBY is straight up crazy but I think the core belief was they could recreate this event.

e Look at that and ask yourself what business fundamentals have changed between the time before the squeeze and today. Not much.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Big rear end On Fire posted:

Yeah the GME mega short squeeze did happen. It's unlikely to happen again and a lot of naïve people who bought or held their shares through the squeeze or after it think the company is going to do wonderful things despite evidence to the contrary. A lot of the stuff around BBBY is straight up crazy but I think the core belief was they could recreate this event.

e Look at that and ask yourself what business fundamentals have changed between the time before the squeeze and today. Not much.

The thing I love about that graph is the massive dip after the spike, when all the people actually in on the squeeze got the gently caress out, and then the almost as big rebound when all the bag holders rushed in to try and get in on it after the party was already over.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
lol, gme had an incredibly brief pop this morning on the RC news, but has now given back almost all of it

anyone foolish enough to buy in at open took a veeeery fast loss

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Cyrano4747 posted:

life isn't a video game and you can't create an overflow glitch that gives you infinite money.

False!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XSRf6kYFSo

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Pff posted:

Hey guys let's talk about Bitcoin here.

I did well in Jan '21 and my brain flip flops between I Am Very Good At Risk Management and I Am A Lucky Gamble-brained Idiot.

YOU HAVE ANOTHER THREAD YOU SONABITCH

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!
I’ve been sitting on an okay amount of money in a high yield savings now for a while that I never do anything with. Every now and again I look into getting into stock trading, but I feel like the culture around WSB and Apes and all that has poisoned the well. I’m so inherently distrustful of any information I find on the internet around stocks anymore.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

quote:

I don’t even remember what my sister wanted from the store, but I remember being bored and picking up some candles and smelling them. As a chemist, I was thinking about the active ingredients and found that several of the candles had the same exact ingredients in the same quantities but were labeled differently for marketing reasons. I started walking around the store and telling people that there was a possible conspiracy of mislabeling candles. I told them to close their eyes and then smell the vanilla and holiday cookies candles and tell me if they were different.

“As a chemist, i was thinking about the active ingredients”

“Also i was a broke college kid”

Which is it, chemist or broke college kid, because one means you were trying to boost your credibility and one means you are a student who knows fuckall

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

i want to add this great moment in meme stock history. dude records himself+his robinhood account during an Apple earning's call. he used a robinhood glitch to borrow $50k, and then bought options, speculating that (and i'm not making this up) because apple had a bunch of women in the the c-suite, the stock would go down.

instead, well, just watch the "Today's return" line. this is the origin of the "guh' meme.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d80ahvRSV8E

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Lt. Cock posted:

I’ve been sitting on an okay amount of money in a high yield savings now for a while that I never do anything with. Every now and again I look into getting into stock trading, but I feel like the culture around WSB and Apes and all that has poisoned the well. I’m so inherently distrustful of any information I find on the internet around stocks anymore.
Over time the market will go up. The VOO EFT with its super cheap fees of .03%, or something like it may be a good fit for you. SPY has been around longer if you want a longer return picture but it has higher fees (still super cheap). A savings account will not even outpace inflation.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Deformed Church posted:

Sounds like it's time to buy the dip?

It's also diamond hands holding when you just leave your current investments alone and forget you have them for weeks on end

drk
Jan 16, 2005
lol, its been a real freefall for apes today

Pff
Aug 17, 2012

Lt. Cock posted:

Read a book about index investing and be roughly as confident as boomers that you get to retire in your 60s.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

YOU HAVE ANOTHER THREAD YOU SONABITCH

Oops the second line was about GME. The first was a jape.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Can we make this image the thread title? That dip, rebound, and slow fall back to 0 tells the entire story, as Cyrano pointed out.

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!

Big rear end On Fire posted:

Over time the market will go up. The VOO EFT with its super cheap fees of .03%, or something like it may be a good fit for you. SPY has been around longer if you want a longer return picture but it has higher fees (still super cheap). A savings account will not even outpace inflation.

Pff posted:

Read a book about index investing and be roughly as confident as boomers that you get to retire in your 60s.

Thank you. I was hoping someone might respond and point me in a direction. I will look into all this.

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
my meme stock story was I bought a few shares of AMC when it was at 9 something right after the gamestop squeeze (my first stock purchase ever) which jumped up to 14$ the next day.
I took 50% profits the next day, feeling like a genius.
The next day it squeezed to $45. Feeling intense FOMO I bought back in at the peak with my previous winnings, making me a certified AMC bagholder™
I still have the shares in a robinhood port, I hold them to this day as a reminder.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Not even that, they just ignore the reality that life isn't a video game and you can't create an overflow glitch that gives you infinite money. These are systems built by and controlled by humans, which means they'll just unwind the part where it goes off the rails and someone theoretically ends up owning more money than there exists on the planet.

This has also already happened. There was a big short squeeze on nickel on the London Metal Exchange a year or so back. Line went completely loving vertical, the company caught on the wrong side of the short theoretically owed a just bugfuck nuts amount of money.

The straight up voided a big period of trading ( a day I think), canceled a lot of poo poo, and unwound the problem at a much lower threshold. There were a bunch of lawsuits and think pieces about how the LME had lost creditability, of course, but at the end of the day everything chugged along.

That's the thing that floors me. We already know exactly what happens in these kind of extreme short squeezes because it's already happened and we can look at how it resolved. Hint: it's not lambos to the moon for random assholes.

It's interesting because it's a practical demonstration of the Libertarian/Ultracapitalist-but-not-rich mentality that the rules of capitalism are not like the rules of physics: they can and will be changed at a moment's notice if it benefits the people with the most money.

They also ignore the much simpler possible answer: the hedgies declare bankruptcy and never have to pay out their positions. I believe their way out of that logical knot is that the government will backstop the debt and then extreme violence against the hedgies for reasons unknown.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Lt. Cock posted:

It’s not as hard as you think. My general advice would be if you want to save long term and don’t need the money soon, and you’re willing to tolerate short term dips in value, you should buy stock index funds. This can be as simple as opening an account at Vanguard and buying an index fund. Options could be something like:

a Vanguard total US stock index,
a blended stock and bond fund, or
a target retirement date fund that starts aggressive before rebalancing to a safer retirement blend.

You can read the long term investing / retirement thread in the business forum if you want more details.

Nov 6, 2002

Cantorsdust posted:

It’s not as hard as you think. My general advice would be if you want to save long term and don’t need the money soon, and you’re willing to tolerate short term dips in value, you should buy stock index funds. This can be as simple as opening an account at Vanguard and buying an index fund. Options could be something like:

a Vanguard total US stock index,
a blended stock and bond fund, or
a target retirement date fund that starts aggressive before rebalancing to a safer retirement blend.

You can read the long term investing / retirement thread in the business forum if you want more details.

uh ok bro but what if i want to double my money in the next six months???

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

uh ok bro but what if i want to double my money in the next six months???

LOL, noob. I figured this out a long time ago. Just withdraw everything in $20 bills and cut them in half :smug:

Shroud
May 11, 2009

cruft posted:

LOL, noob. I figured this out a long time ago. Just withdraw everything in $20 bills and cut them in half :smug:

No, you idiot, you fool, you absolute buffoon. At least 51% percent of the bill has to has to remain for it to be "legal" tender. Instead, cut off 49% of each one, then start combining the shorter ones together, so they're now at 51% too. Viola - you haven't doubled your money, but you come really close. If enough people do this, we can get enough support from Ron Paul (beloved by all) to force an audit of the Fed.

Also, make sure you do this only with the bills that have gold trim on the pyramid, so the Feds can't apply a mandatory joinder to you.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
the Banach–Tarski bank doubles your money.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Neito posted:

It's interesting because it's a practical demonstration of the Libertarian/Ultracapitalist-but-not-rich mentality that the rules of capitalism are not like the rules of physics: they can and will be changed at a moment's notice if it benefits the people with the most money.

They also ignore the much simpler possible answer: the hedgies declare bankruptcy and never have to pay out their positions. I believe their way out of that logical knot is that the government will backstop the debt and then extreme violence against the hedgies for reasons unknown.

:hmmyes: One of the fundamental runstops of the ape position is that if hedgies dont play by the rules, they will eat them. I fully support Eating The Rich, but they dont need to lose a bunch of money playing a rigged game for suckers to justify it*

*the stock market isnt necessarily rigged, but retail investing absolutely is

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
I'll admit, I bought AMC stock when it was 14 bucks and sold them for 55 bucks so I made a modest profit. I did still keep two shares and occasionally I'll get a notification that the stock crashed by another 15% and I'll just lol

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

cruft posted:

This was a helpful OP, I learned some things. Thanks!

Thanks! I think every so often I’ll make a little effortpost explaining some bit of ape jargon or lore bookended with some funny examples.

Lt. Cock posted:

IMO if you do anything with the stock market other than putting your money in a boring index fund that grows with the market as a whole you are essentially gambling, because if you try to beat the market then you are competing against people and programs that the richest people in the world have invested trillions of dollars into. The only way to beat that is to get lucky.

Fragrag posted:

I'll admit, I bought AMC stock when it was 14 bucks and sold them for 55 bucks so I made a modest profit. I did still keep two shares and occasionally I'll get a notification that the stock crashed by another 15% and I'll just lol

Sounds like a sign to buy the dip! It’s already lost so much of its value, how much more can it possibly lose?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Ariong posted:

Sounds like a sign to buy the dip! It’s already lost so much of its value, how much more can it possibly lose?

Spoiler alert: 100%

cruft fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 28, 2023

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

cruft posted:

Spoiler alert: 100%

:siren:Shill Alert:siren:

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

OK now dudes are paying significant fees to move their shares from the sketchy broker that'd sell to them in the last few days to a real broker like Fidelity. $100 :lol: The last standing rubes are like these super rubes, going above and beyond, working extremely hard to part with any money they have.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

lol this is something I would have expected from a crypto exchange

like "whoops we turned off the amazon cloud instance and that wiped out everyone's positions, sorry guys here's some IOUs (tether) and everyone's account gets a 90% haircut until further notice"

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

N. Senada posted:

I bought a share of Microsoft and have lost 7 dollars so far. Ama

Don't Microsoft pay out a yearly dividend? So you should get that 7 dollar back.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Don't Microsoft pay out a yearly dividend? So you should get that 7 dollar back.

Aww sweet, time to put everything in it

Nov 6, 2002

Ariong posted:

IMO if you do anything with the stock market other than putting your money in a boring index fund that grows with the market as a whole you are essentially gambling, because if you try to beat the market then you are competing against people and programs that the richest people in the world have invested trillions of dollars into. The only way to beat that is to get lucky.

Someone's never going to get life changing money with a sweet play.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
You miss the point: we have to defeat the hedgie fuks and [checks smudged notes scrawled on eviction notice] save the world by exposing something dark pools something shorting blockbuster to death?

We need CEOs to lead our ape revolution like https://twitter.com/CEOAdam/status/1702596177214988498

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
So it's QAnon but for stocks. Got it.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

who do you think put the Q in NASDAQ

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
The Sears thing is really interesting. These people are trying to get in on a company which from what I can tell is currently having the last of it's assets liquidated.

They're also buying bonds which are somehow related to that? These people are literally paying for a position at the end of the queue of creditors...

Holy poo poo that's amazing.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

JustCallMeDC posted:

Do you feel like a winner yet?

I've never felt like a winner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I remember when I was like 10 I thought the stock market worked like these people do, and I definitely thought every stock paid out big dividends and so all you had to do was buy a bunch of stocks and you were guaranteed to make your money back if you waited long enough

Which is sort of true as long as you do all the boring kind of investing these people would never bother with