Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

drk posted:

time to close the thread

drat why’s beyond meat doing so bad. That’s a company I can actually believe in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
is it bad I havent heard most of those?

Also is it bad that I know some people that use Clover Health as their insurance? should they not use it?

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Ziv Zulander posted:

They've never turned a profit and revenue is falling now as well

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

The grimmest tale yet.

What do you find grim about it? Planning for retirement and death?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ziv Zulander posted:

well in 2023 they sold $343 million of fake meat and lost $334 million to do it

if it costs you $2 to sell something for $1 you have a problem

and that's extra bad when you realize that one of their biggest problems is low demand because their product is too expensive. like, if I wanted to pay $10 a pound for hamburger meat I'd go to the farmer's market and buy some local pasture raised cow.

I dunno, I've had the stuff and the burgers are a decent replica, but in like a chili I'd rather just make a better vegetarian version. I think it's telling that the one person I've met who was all-in on impossible burgers and beyond meat was a vegetarian who as far as I could tell did not like any vegetables.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Klyith posted:

a vegetarian who as far as I could tell did not like any vegetables.

That is literally their target market.

It's not big enough.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I can see it. There were probably lots of people who tried a terrible veggie burger puck 20 years ago and have it fixed in their minds that is what a veggie burger tastes like. Somebody made a veggie burger that tastes good (because it has the same nutrient profile as a real burger and isn't actually healthier for you) but how do they get everyone to try it when everyone "knows" veggie burgers are awful?

Do big promotions and sell at a loss to get more people to try your product, with the vague plan of economies of scale reducing your costs in the future when you make it big.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
its amazing how much energy and effort gets put into turning veggies into a simulacrum for meat rather than americans/westerns just getting used to eating veggie as themselves.

like good job turning bean proteins which either canned or whole and dry can be shelf stable for years or even decades into a fridge product with a shelf life of weeks.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I've tried bean burgers and it's just a waste of good beans.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Facebook Aunt posted:

Do big promotions and sell at a loss to get more people to try your product, with the vague plan of economies of scale reducing your costs in the future when you make it big.

Or maybe just a Bluth $10 Banana lack of understanding of what things cost and what people can afford?

Ethan Brown, the founder of beyond meat, on his deep connections to the agricultural life:

quote:

I had a wonderful opportunity as a kid to grow up in the city and spend a lot of time in the countryside. My father’s a professor and at the time he was teaching at Maryland and did not like being in the city. He grew up in the country himself and really wanted that experience for his kids because that’s where he felt most at home.

So we bought a farm in the western part of the state of Maryland and one up in Maine, and that’s where I spent my time when I wasn’t at school or required to be in the city. I really was exposed early on to the beauty of nature and then as we got into it, my father started a dairy operation there.

We had 100 head of Holstein cattle, and I began to understand agriculture and really enjoyed being there.

I dunno what they pay professors in Maryland, but I've known some professors and none of them could buy 2 farms and 100 cows because they missed the country life.

And lest you think little Ethan was mucking out the cow pens every day after school, no. He was at a private boarding school in PA.

These are the people who get the venture capital. Born rich people who schmooze with born rich people. People who think that if they can make a good veggie burger for $10 it'll be a hit, because they eat at places where the burgers cost $20. And while Beyond Meat is a far more noble endeavor than the average techbro scheme, it still stems from the same basic disconnect from how ordinary people live.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
While seems, yeah they over-estimated the market, but not sure how meat prices are in the US but in Australia just checked local supermarket prices and it's AU$8.50-$10 for four beef burgers, and $10 for four V2 fake meat burgers, currently on sale for $8.50, so exact same prices.

If you want to just buy 500 grams of beef mince and make your own, that's gonna be $6.50.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Apr 14, 2024

drk
Jan 16, 2005

PhazonLink posted:

its amazing how much energy and effort gets put into turning veggies into a simulacrum for meat rather than americans/westerns just getting used to eating veggie as themselves.

I mean there are plenty of vegan and vegetarian americans. Beans/etc are a thing and certainly sell much better than engineered meat-alikes.

I eat mostly vegan and the imitation meat stuff just doesnt appeal to me at all

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

darkwasthenight posted:

Incredible comments on there.

Even the apes told him to get his brakes sorted before anything else.

My fave reply to No Brakes Ape:

quote:

Hedgies are probably shorting your car

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

PhazonLink posted:

Exactly this. It drives me up the wall that so much effort is wasted trying to create fake meat when there are so many good dishes you can make without meat in the first place.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

dr_rat posted:

While seems, yeah they over-estimated the market, but not sure how meat prices are in the US but in Australia just checked local supermarket prices and it's AU$8.50-$10 for four beef burgers, and $10 for four V2 fake meat burgers, currently on sale for $8.50, so exact same prices.

If you want to just buy 500 grams of beef mince and make your own, that's gonna be $6.50.

Yeah US prices for meat are way cheaper, because
1) there are a ton of subsidies for agriculture that go to giant factory farms instead of the small family farms they put in the political ads
2) the gov't doesn't regulate out meat packing industry worth a drat. we pass the savings (and e coli) to you!

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

PhazonLink posted:

like good job turning bean proteins which either canned or whole and dry can be shelf stable for years or even decades into a fridge product with a shelf life of weeks.

I'm a vegetarian and I don't eat a lot of the fake meat stuff. However, the Beyond/Impossible stuff is a great thing for nostalgic comfort food when you need it. Craving something like Beefaroni is perfect for it on occasion and it's a dish that's not the same if you try to replace the beef parts of it with canned beans. The stuff definitely has its place.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Klyith posted:

Yeah US prices for meat are way cheaper, because
1) there are a ton of subsidies for agriculture that go to giant factory farms instead of the small family farms they put in the political ads
2) the gov't doesn't regulate out meat packing industry worth a drat. we pass the savings (and e coli) to you!

Those sound like reasonable US prices to me, my local grocery store has 4 patties for $7 US which is about $10 AUS.

I wish our meat was cheaper :smith:

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Trader Joe's textured soy protein is great for chili and beefaroni at 25% of the price of beyond meat. There's a price point where perfect meat substitute isn't needed

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

FrumpleOrz posted:

Craving... Beefaroni...

:goofy:

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

What can I say? I ate a lot of Chef Boyardee as a kid because my parents couldn't cook.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Sardonik posted:

I don't pity these people, but I do pity their spouses. All you had to do was follow the train buy VOO you loving idiots!

I pity them a little bit. Not enough that I think they should get off scott-free, but enough that I get a bit uncomfortable watching the ones like Kais who clearly have a mental illness, or the small-time players who got hoodwinked by the promise of being able to escape the daily grind. The bigger grifters have my contempt, but Jim, the guy who thought he could finally get rich enough to buy his wife a house have my pity.

Nov 6, 2002

Neito posted:

I pity them a little bit. Not enough that I think they should get off scott-free, but enough that I get a bit uncomfortable watching the ones like Kais who clearly have a mental illness, or the small-time players who got hoodwinked by the promise of being able to escape the daily grind. The bigger grifters have my contempt, but Jim, the guy who thought he could finally get rich enough to buy his wife a house have my pity.

Jim and his reddit/twitter buddies berate, insult and down vote anyone that tries to talk sense into them. So at a certain point, gently caress'em.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Jim and his reddit/twitter buddies berate, insult and down vote anyone that tries to talk sense into them. So at a certain point, gently caress'em.

:hmmyes::same::emptyquote:

JAnon
Jul 16, 2023

how long until BBLIAQ completely goes under? I bet two years

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

JAnon posted:

how long until BBLIAQ completely goes under? I bet two years

Go under what are you talking about, the stock just recently started skyrocketing!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Clearly, that trajectory can only go to the moon!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

the best memestonking to watch is truth social, because you get to actively root for the retail investors to go broke, as they are, right now

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
r/teddy DD appears to argue the inevitable success of apes from at least one of their many inconsistent theories based on "an infinite number of monkeys at an infinite number of typewriters will eventually write Shakespeare" cast into Intro Probability Theory: https://www.reddit.com/r/Teddy/comments/1c3o6n5/the_million_horse_theorem_an_exhaustive/

drk
Jan 16, 2005

evilweasel posted:

the best memestonking to watch is truth social, because you get to actively root for the retail investors to go broke, as they are, right now

the funny thing is I think there are 10x as many people that bought thinking they were outsmarting all the chuds than there were actual chuds buying

anyone touching that poop deserves what they get

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

evilweasel posted:

You rolling puts?

Nov 6, 2002

Serious_Cyclone posted:

r/teddy DD appears to argue the inevitable success of apes from at least one of their many inconsistent theories based on "an infinite number of monkeys at an infinite number of typewriters will eventually write Shakespeare" cast into Intro Probability Theory: https://www.reddit.com/r/Teddy/comments/1c3o6n5/the_million_horse_theorem_an_exhaustive/

This person is probably mentally ill.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
we've given animals typewriters before, they either mess with it a bit and then lose interest, or they break it, or piss and poo poo on it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

pixaal posted:

You rolling puts?

having been following crypto long enough knowing something is going to zero doesn't mean you know when and i didn't want to gamble, so i am strictly profiting in schadenfreude rather than dollars

but it's a fun ticker to have on while working, while reading the washington post publish interviews with the holders: https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2024/04/14/truth-social-investors-faith-trump/

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Serious_Cyclone posted:

So literally the business model SBF was using for gambling customer funds on random cryptocurrencies.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

pixaal posted:

You rolling puts?

Puts have massive IV at the moment, so the gains are pretty iffy.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Hello Sailor posted:

So literally the business model SBF was using for gambling customer funds on random cryptocurrencies.

so other than rug pulls and not being the bag holder how does one make money by betting investing in CoinA with CoinB make money?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

drk posted:

the funny thing is I think there are 10x as many people that bought thinking they were outsmarting all the chuds than there were actual chuds buying

anyone touching that poop deserves what they get

My brother was one of them. I gave him the "if you've thought of that, everybody has thought of that" speech for why you don't try to be smarter than the market, but he never listens to those and I mysteriously stop getting updates on how his stock is doing the moment it starts heading down.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

PhazonLink posted:

so other than rug pulls and not being the bag holder how does one make money by betting investing in CoinA with CoinB make money?
own CoinB. optionally also own CoinA.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Serious_Cyclone posted:

if i have a 999,999 insane theories, and you have a single theory i am obviously mentally ill, then the chances of you being right are one in a million

that's just how math works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

This person is probably mentally ill.

well yeah they are posting DD in r/teddy