Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?

mp5 posted:

Self-driving ruins everyone

It's one of the best parts of the show. And I'd much rather see a team lose because they hosed up on their own vs the numerous times a slow/bad taxi driver has played a role in determining placement.

It's like knowing how to make fire for Survivor, you shouldn't even apply if you can't drive stick but plenty of people do it anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

SteveVizsla posted:

It's one of the best parts of the show. And I'd much rather see a team lose because they hosed up on their own vs the numerous times a slow/bad taxi driver has played a role in determining placement.

It's like knowing how to make fire for Survivor, you shouldn't even apply if you can't drive stick but plenty of people do it anyway.

I used to shift for my mom when I was little and it helped me learn to drive so that's the opposite hand stick shift pro strat

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.
I’m pro taxi I just because it makes it more adventurelike. Here take this 2023 model car that will parallel park for you and drive 5 minures, and these people are still messing up.

Bring back stiff penalties! Last place, give up your money and belongings again.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

SteveVizsla posted:

I agree with this post. Can't remember which season but one of the recent ones had a team melting down because they were stalled on the exit ramp where they picked up their cars and one of the teams tried to help them and then just noped out after like a minute and just easily went on their way. And they acted like they were victims (they were, but it was victims of their own stupidity)

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

shazbot posted:

I’m pro taxi I just because it makes it more adventurelike. Here take this 2023 model car that will parallel park for you and drive 5 minures, and these people are still messing up.

Bring back stiff penalties! Last place, give up your money and belongings again.

Americans on a game show pan-handling for money in countries with high poverty is pretty gross, which is why I think they did away with that.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Definitely weird having someone panhandle for money while a camera crew is with them. But also the times when they made the last team start with $0, it was because it was a non-elimination leg twist. Which they seem to have also gotten rid of, which should stay gone IMO.

Long 2 episode legs are okay as they likely have to plan those out ahead. Instead of doing a surprise non-elimination leg that the producers could possibly call in if a favorite team is in the back.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
Damnit, the most boring team won.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Diabetic posted:

Damnit, the most boring team won.

They earned it and they weren't assholes

I can't be mad about it

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I don't understand why Rob and my future husband Corey went for the far away challenge first when they knew they had to loop back which was a huge waste of time.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Cacator posted:

I don't understand why Rob and my future husband Corey went for the far away challenge first when they knew they had to loop back which was a huge waste of time.

Depends on where you had to go next

It was a gamble

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

thought this was an excellent season and would have been satisfied with any of these 3 teams winning, i dont think any team has anything to be ashamed of

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Absolutely gutted that Joel and Garrett completely threw it right at the end.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Cacator posted:

Would depend on where they had to go after the scramble how much of a waste of time it was to do the far away one first. Seems pretty clear from the edit, they struggled some with all 3 of the scramble challenges, and by far took the most time to do the Trapeze challenge.

Is weird though that they showed Garrett and Joel going back for their notebook at one point in the season, but seemingly it didn't help them at all on the final challenge.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Greg and John telling Rob and Corey about the power cords could have been a game ending move right there. Good that they bounced back so well.

Also I feel like I'm on crazy pills because people kept saying Corey was hot but I found Greg (and Rob) more attractive.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Is weird though that they showed Garrett and Joel going back for their notebook at one point in the season, but seemingly it didn't help them at all on the final challenge.

It created suspense for where they would finish on that specific leg of the race.

Bummed about Rob and Corey but maybe them finishing third means they'll be on a returnees season :getin: In the end I can't be mad, all three of these finals teams were great and perfect examples of the attitude that teams should have on the race.

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.
Corey finished first in (runner up) Ms Irelands heart.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

njsykora posted:

Absolutely gutted that Joel and Garrett completely threw it right at the end.

That really stung and it's 100% the kind of thing I can see myself wasting a lead on. Hell, the second they said memory in the challenge I would think I'm SOL unless my partner has a trapper keeper brain. I made a mental note that if I were ever on the show (no good reason why I would make notes for something I'm not applying for) to repeat the order of events between legs to try and keep em in mind. I could memorize a restaurant menu back in the day, but that was because of flash cards and repetition and getting yelled at if you forgot stuff. Stacking all the challenges in order requires a straighter arrow of time in the memory than I can muster, so I really empathize with their struggle at the critical moment. Good on them for even snagging a lead, I felt like Greg and John were the team to beat if only because they're both young and in shape.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
The older brother went full Cyborg Mode at that kayak task, what a thing to witness. Kinda disappointing for a final task though, I'm shocked the Beards blew that lead based on a mistake that Mustache pointed out (I think) before anybody else had even arrived yet.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
ah the splendor and beauty of earth, it's almost like I'm there

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

That was a good season, the only thing I didn't like was the vote u-turn. Agree that Corey is the biggest dreamboat in TAR history.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Not sure if there's a reason or demand for a Season 36 thread or just to keep it all contained here.

But the new season premiere is set for March 13th, 2024. This season was filmed prior to season 35 at the end of 2022. Still with the Covid restriction of using the Amazing Race charter plane.

The new season will continue to be 90 minute episodes, but unlike season 35, was originally filmed and planned to be the standard 60 minute episodes. Doubt it will be that difficult to reedit the footage for 90 minutes, but will probably be more BS footage from the detours & roadblocks instead of extra challenges season 35 seemed to have.

Can just see the cast here -> https://amazingrace.fandom.com/wiki/The_Amazing_Race_36

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I think just repurposing the thread to a general thread works fine. Can't wait!

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

repurposing this post as a makeshift OP for TAR 36. For my own entertainment, I will be assigning each team a name in the vein of Legends Of The Hidden Temple.

Silver Sloths

Anthony (26) & Bailey Smith (26)
Clearwater, FL
Recruiters

Yellow Yaks

Derek (57, retired chief of police) and Shelisa Williams (55, retired sheriff’s lieutenant)
Married
Alta Loma, Calif.

Blue Bunnies

Danny (27, university resident director) and Angie Butler (55, seventh grade teacher)
Mother and son
San Diego, Calif., and Walla Walla, Wash.

Orange Octopus

Rod (46, former NFL player/owner of Gshred Supplements) and Leticia Gardner (38, fitness business owner)
Married
Lawrenceville, Ga.

Red Red Pandas

Michelle (39) and Sean Clark (46), owners of Double Dutch Aerobics
Married
East Point, Ga.

Purple Pelicans

Yvonne Chavez (40, global strategy and operations lead) and Melissa Main (38, investigator for U.S. Navy special operations)
Dating
San Diego, Calif.

Cerulean Chameleons

Sunny Pulver (41) and Bizzy Smith (37), firefighters
Best friends
Edgerton, Wis., and New Berlin, Wis.

Pink Piglets

Amber Craven (30) and Vinny Cagungun (37), nurse anesthetists
Dating
Englewood, Colo.

Tropical Tadpoles

Ricky Rotandi (34, preschool teacher) and Cesar Aldrete (34, food stylist)
Dating
New York, N.Y.

Green Guppies

Juan Villa (29) and Shane Bilek (29), Air Force pilots
Best friends
Spokane, Wash., and Marine City, Mich.

Magenta Marmosets

Kishori Turner (26, senior marketing strategist) and Karishma Cordero (22, student)
Cousins
Gaithersburg, Md., and Austin, Texas

Black Beavers

Chris Foster (60, receptionist) and Mary Cardona-Foster (27, marketing manager)
Father and daughter
Waltham, Mass.

Indigo Iguanas

Maya (20, student) and Rohan Mody (23, master’s student)
Siblings
Monmouth Junction, N.J.

STING 64 fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Mar 18, 2024

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
dude you're getting at least two dells

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I'm pretty interested in the locations in that wiki. Could be seen as limiting I guess gut it's gonna feature a lot of places they rarely go.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Rick posted:

I'm pretty interested in the locations in that wiki. Could be seen as limiting I guess gut it's gonna feature a lot of places they rarely go.

I like it! (spoilers within relate to leg locations in TAR35 and TAR36) I thought 35 was really solid on its locations, but no South America was pretty glaring. Kinda cool that it looks like we're going to spend so much of 36 there. Especially returning to a super fun country from TAR5.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Not sure if there's a reason or demand for a Season 36 thread or just to keep it all contained here.

But the new season premiere is set for March 13th, 2024. This season was filmed prior to season 35 at the end of 2022. Still with the Covid restriction of using the Amazing Race charter plane.

The new season will continue to be 90 minute episodes, but unlike season 35, was originally filmed and planned to be the standard 60 minute episodes. Doubt it will be that difficult to reedit the footage for 90 minutes, but will probably be more BS footage from the detours & roadblocks instead of extra challenges season 35 seemed to have.

Can just see the cast here -> https://amazingrace.fandom.com/wiki/The_Amazing_Race_36

Really odd way of airing things. After such a fantastic season with 35, it'll be interesting to see how this goes, since they couldn't cast or anything based on that. I'm really hoping it continues the momentum! I was in line at a touristy place last month and the woman in front of me was telling the people in front of her about one of the episodes

Edit: After looking at their occupations, they should have dumped this season on a streaming platform

SteveVizsla fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Mar 6, 2024

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

lol at the one team austin powersing their rental tonight

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i want the hawaiian shirt couple to win

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Really odd that Phil told teams they were still racing but still eliminated the last team to arrive. Really thought they were just going to get the non-elimination episode / not leg out of the way on the first leg.

The 90 minutes was nice to get to know a lot of teams, but I really felt the 60 minute episode reedited to 90 for the premier. That 1st detour was like 40 minutes of airtime.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
That lasso thing ruled. Everyone did it differently and the talent of the rope guys was very clear to me. Like check it, #7 uses some incredible control to get some absolutely awful jumps through the center.

I feel for the last place team. That is a nightmare to have to do that 20 point backup thing.

drat I really want to just get in my car and head to Mexico lol.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Rick posted:

That lasso thing ruled. Everyone did it differently and the talent of the rope guys was very clear to me. Like check it, #7 uses some incredible control to get some absolutely awful jumps through the center.

I feel for the last place team. That is a nightmare to have to do that 20 point backup thing.

drat I really want to just get in my car and head to Mexico lol.
Lets go, goonsquad will win the amazing race

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
I always look forward to Amazing Race, the game is really fun to watch without other players really being able to be hateful towards one another, and if there is a team that is like that, they usually get wrecked. I am hoping the Dad and Daughter team win this season, I do kinda wish they had shown how the siblings got the car out of that spot they were stuck in.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Trivia: this is the first lesbian couple to survive a leg in 20 seasons.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

STING 64 posted:

Lets go, goonsquad will win the amazing race

We at the very least would have handled the lucha segment better.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

STING 64 posted:

i want the hawaiian shirt couple to win

Me too! I think they go far considering they aren't in any previews.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Does anyone know what teams do at night between legs? Almost all of the racing is during the day, what do they do after they reach the mat? The first teams come in hours before the last ones, do they just go out and see the tourist sites?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The X-man cometh posted:

Does anyone know what teams do at night between legs? Almost all of the racing is during the day, what do they do after they reach the mat? The first teams come in hours before the last ones, do they just go out and see the tourist sites?

I'm going to guess that they sleep. No matter how big the gap is they only have 12 hours between finishing one leg and starting the next. And assuming all the charter plane seasons were done for covid reasons I doubt they were allowed to go far once getting to the pit stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

May the Sacred Flame shine forth!

The X-man cometh posted:

sequestered in hotels, resting and being able to eat apparently. they used to be allowed to go out and mingle with other teams but that pretty much stopped with season 14 apparently