Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?
I want to know how many takes it took Phil to do that "once they piece together" thing with the three photo pieces

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

If we could switch who came in first and last, I'd be much happier

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

This U-turn thing is incredibly boring. It removes all the strategy of deciding if you want to use it or not, guessing if a team is in front or behind you, etc.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

The "out of towner" is really annoying and I have no idea why the think people will understand that phrase?

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

maybeadracula posted:

Didn't everybody have to vote for somebody this time? Why be a whiny baby about it jeez lmbo

Yep, every team had to vote for someone. The obvious logic is to vote for the team that keeps coming in at the top, since you're voting before the leg. Idk why her and her dad are acting like this is some big shock and everyone is being mean to them.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Teek posted:

I can see some reasoning behind doing a vote U-Turn. I seem to recall times when the U-Turn selection didn't matter and was just a happenstance as there were no good choices by the time it was used, or that it just forced an already lagging team out. While this method could do that too, it also gives a 100% chance to confirm hurt a good team, assuming a plurality are all on the same page. I'm not sure Steve & Anna Leigh were the right choice though anyway, as I think they've gotten away with front loading a lot of the Roadblocks on Anna Leigh up to this point, as Steve will have to handle a lot of the ones in the back half. Looks like it was 3 Anna Leigh Roadblocks to 1 Steve by the time the vote was held.

That was part of the risk with it, though. It could also be the difference between possibly being last or not, if a few teams were close to the bottom. There's been several times when teams worked together to use it. They are going to get screwed on him doing roadblocks, assuming he hasn't been doing them because he isn't as good at them.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

maybeadracula posted:

They were snipey but the daughter is just nasty to her dad and constantly negative. She got super butthurt about the UTurn and never recovered

Her social media is all about how she's an influencer and travels to all of these amazing places where she probably spends the whole time taking and retaking instagram photos

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Giggled at the Nobel thing with it airing the same night Kissinger died (one of the biggest wtf winners ever). I wish they'd named who was at the tables.

Seeing Joel and Garrett so happy at being first made me happy, even if I want Rob and Corey to win.

Anna Leigh went on this show knowing her dad can't run like she can, and knowing foot races happen. I get it's frustrating in the moment but what did she expect?

Has there ever been so many older people/dudes in final 4?

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

I assume they were just random extras playing the role of the person on their card.

I thought Phil said something about many winners go to the museum every year for an annual dinner, and that's who these people were?

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

Yeah, the cards were representing people at previous dinners, and the years matched up with the dinner from that year. Then the teams had to give the correct food to the correct person based on the menu and the name card.

Ah, I misunderstood what he meant then - I thought he meant the actual people there were winners, not representing winners.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I just rewatched it and Phil describes the guests as Nobel laureates and Greg or John described the challenge and specifically said all the guests themselves were Nobel prize winners.

Thank you for checking that :)

njsykora posted:

Yeah a group of Nobel Prize winners did not assemble for a CBS reality gameshow.

They could all be fairly local (one of the reasons I wanted to know who they were), they could have been there for another reason, etc.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Has there ever been a final 4 where 3/4 of the teams had someone over 40?

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

maybeadracula posted:

What a great finish.

Very cool they arranged for him to do the recitation challenge in ASL

It seems like they've been super accommodating for him, giving him every chance to be an equal competitor. It's wonderful to see, especially with how far they've made it! They're such a happy, upbeat team, always rooting for each other and enjoying every leg, even if it's something they're not great at. That Corey, who is clearly super athletic and smart and everything you need to be on TAR, would choose to apply to the show with his Dad speaks volumes for their relationship. I have favorites every season, of course, but I don't know if I've ever liked a team *this* much. I don't know that there's ever been a season where I didn't strongly dislike any of the final 3, either.

I was trying to think of the name of Riverdance a couple of nights ago but could only come up with Michael Flatley's Lord of the Dance, then forgot about it by the time I woke up, so thanks, TAR.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Cacator posted:

I'm just gonna say what we're all thinking: Corey is hot as hell

There's that too :D Which is enhanced by how great of a person he seems to be

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

mp5 posted:

Self-driving ruins everyone

It's one of the best parts of the show. And I'd much rather see a team lose because they hosed up on their own vs the numerous times a slow/bad taxi driver has played a role in determining placement.

It's like knowing how to make fire for Survivor, you shouldn't even apply if you can't drive stick but plenty of people do it anyway.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Not sure if there's a reason or demand for a Season 36 thread or just to keep it all contained here.

But the new season premiere is set for March 13th, 2024. This season was filmed prior to season 35 at the end of 2022. Still with the Covid restriction of using the Amazing Race charter plane.

The new season will continue to be 90 minute episodes, but unlike season 35, was originally filmed and planned to be the standard 60 minute episodes. Doubt it will be that difficult to reedit the footage for 90 minutes, but will probably be more BS footage from the detours & roadblocks instead of extra challenges season 35 seemed to have.

Can just see the cast here -> https://amazingrace.fandom.com/wiki/The_Amazing_Race_36

Really odd way of airing things. After such a fantastic season with 35, it'll be interesting to see how this goes, since they couldn't cast or anything based on that. I'm really hoping it continues the momentum! I was in line at a touristy place last month and the woman in front of me was telling the people in front of her about one of the episodes

Edit: After looking at their occupations, they should have dumped this season on a streaming platform

SteveVizsla fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Mar 6, 2024

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

SteveVizsla posted:

Edit: After looking at their occupations, they should have dumped this season on a streaming platform

Just watched the premier and jfc what an absolute shitshow of incompetence. This felt like the longest episode ever. Some of the editing was weird, there was a bit at the beginning with the gay couple, I think it was, that was the camera going in and out of focus on the waves behind the guy's hip?

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

STING 64 posted:

well it was 90 minutes and shot for 60, i think pacings gonna be rough all season

True, but there's ways to cut it to make it more exciting. A lot of the length was probably because it's so little going on overall - three total tasks, all near each other because of covid - but it felt like it was dragging on beyond that.

Last season is making me like the twins here, because they're so chill. I liked the dad/daughter too, but they never stood a chance.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

- Why would you go on this show if you're terrified of heights? His fear clearly isn't as bad as he thinks, though, because absolutely no way you're getting me anywhere close to up that mountain
- Do the mom and son know they're on the actual show on cbs? They sound like they're on a funsies little excursion from their cruise or something
- Phil repeatedly saying "race around the world" irks me
- The fresco things are neat
- Colombia doesn't have alligators (they live in the southwest USA/a bit into the northeast of Mexico, and a very small area of China). It's home to the American crocodile and the Orinoco crocodile, though, and black, cuvier's, smooth-fronted, and spectacled caimans!
- The lack of preparedness of these teams is a little astounding
- Don't spend a bunch of time discussing whether to switch or not, just do it (or not)
- Yay Ricky and Cesar!
- "slow and steady wins the race" no it doesn't
- the bird was a motmot :)
- I wish they'd said the time difference to see if the twins might still be in if they hadn't kept switching

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

The map challenge is basically the PERFECT challenge for me. People not even knowing where the "map" was, smh

Rick posted:

Oh my god the dog on the escalator.

Leave the episodes at 60 minutes and add 30 minutes of animals they come across on legs, especially dogs on escalators.

IcePhoenix posted:

I was surprised how many teams went for the breakdancing this episode. Then again I was also surprised at how badly some people struggled with the word puzzle.

One thing that's been bothering me, and maybe this is a product of needing to stretch the episodes, but instead of jumping between the teams in "real time" they seem to just focus on each section of a race before moving on. So like they show everyone doing the detour before showing the leaders even starting the road block, even though they're obviously doing it while some teams are still on the detour. I don't recall them using this format before but it's really jarring.

For that type of puzzle, that one was super easy, too. There was just the possibility of a couple of words for the last two, but if you got the rest of it, you knew the words from the phrase. This is really not a good cast.

Thank you for putting that into words, I couldn't figure out why it felt so weird, other than the 90 minutes of boring content. You nailed it! Airing it like this is so odd.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

I've seen some people online complaining that Ricky and Cesar have an unfair advantage because so many legs are set in Latin America and they can speak Spanish.

While choosing to ignore that half the teams have someone who can speak Spanish and there are even a couple other native speakers in there.

And now they've been to two cities where other teams have spent significant time (and obviously know Spanish from having lived there).

I was amused by Daniel repeatedly saying they almost got first when really he meant second, because Ricky and Cesar were so far ahead, again. They're likeable, I'd be fine with them blowing out every single episode.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

STING 64 posted:

i hope they win, they're good energy. the mom/son team is fun to watch for how goofy they are. i do feel like they could be focusing more on the personality pieces and getting to know the teams to fill out the 90 minutes instead of showing the same 3 teams failing over and over again but if they filmed for 60 and never filmed those pieces what can ya do.

And it's the same tidbits every time. Did you know the one cousin's parents died when she was young??

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

The beginning of the episode felt like the alliance was just on an excursion from their cruise, with Daniel as the leader

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

I think in a challenge like that where everyone is at a station it would be pretty easy to say you're not allowed to enter another player's station, which would be fairly easy to set rules and boundaries for. You could also disallow talking to people when they're in their station but that gets a little harder to litigate and idk what their resources are.

They could also say that once you complete a challenge you must leave the area. If your teammate can't help you, it should be pretty easy to say another team can't help you, either?

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

So when are the firefighters divorcing their husbands and marrying each other

Why did they think a plaza would be among shipping containers and whatnot? They kept saying "it should be right here", but I must have missed whatever made them think that?

CJacobs posted:

They have such a healthy relationship, it's bonkers. Just completely open with one another and then they work it out while running a marathon race in a Spanish speaking country. 0 filter. They are running the race like they are on the job as nurses. It rules.

Edit: Lots of good relationships on this season honestly. Rod constantly bigging up Leticia with cheers like "yeah baby that's my wife look at her go!!" :3:

... Are we watching the same show? He's a gaslighting rear end in a top hat who is constantly putting her down in the tone of voice men use when they think they are clearly smarter than the silly womenfolk. "I hope you learn from this experience, what you're doing to us as a team" is not something someone says when in a healthy relationship, nor is "you're making this so hard... and you're not trying to be any better". The words he chooses and the way he constantly says "you" are the opposite of what someone should say when trying to de-escalate or be understanding.

"Her thoughts are saying, you know, 'you're not good enough'" Gee I wonder why she thinks that.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Would it have been such a big delay if they'd stopped the moment they realized the crew was missing, though? I was hoping Phil would say something after they were last and was disappointed he didn't (or it was cut).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

njsykora posted:

It's especially weird when just last season we had the shots of the team and a camera crammed into a tuktuk and now I wonder how much of that came of this happening.

They probably did that because of this incident.