Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 29 days!)

love me a good anime montage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Swilo posted:

The ending song not only fits the show better, the animation choices are very stylistic and memorable; it looks and feels like the kind of fairytale the main story reflects. The opening song and animation are both very generic and boring, they already feel dated and out of place which is a shame.

Going for reggaeton beats in the op made it obsolete, nobody listen to that kind of music nowadays.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Mordja posted:

Huh, so I guess Heiter was over 100? I mean let's say he was--bare minimum--20 when he joined the party, 30 when they beat the Demon King, then that's +50 years for the second stargazing trip, and the manga says it's been 20 years since Himmel's death when Frieren meets him with Fern. Spritely for his age!

My question about Heiter has always been what exactly he brings to the table adventuringwise. You'd THINK he's a cleric of course, but I don't think we've ever actually seen divine magic/miracle type stuff in this series.

Maybe he was just an actual old fashioned healer, all potions and sewing.

Adaptation is perfect, Frieren is good

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Heiter had the demanding, but vitally important role of drinking all the alcohol the thankful villagers were giving to the party as a reward for solving their issues, so that other three members could function at full efficiency.

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

Rody One Half posted:

My question about Heiter has always been what exactly he brings to the table adventuringwise. You'd THINK he's a cleric of course, but I don't think we've ever actually seen divine magic/miracle type stuff in this series.

Maybe he was just an actual old fashioned healer, all potions and sewing.

Very light manga spoiler:

He actually uses healing magic in the latest chapter!

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006
come for the pathos of the setup, stay for the worldbuilding of magic as historically developing within societies and the portrayal of strategy based on a broadly, but not wholly, shared realm of capability and asymmetric information. or don't, but don't get hooked on the pathos cause we don't quite go back to that level

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Just amazing. Had to pick up the manga because I know I'm going to love it from what little I've seen in these four eps. For those of you who speak Japanese, is there something going on with Flamme's speech? It sounded like she had an accent of sorts to my learner ears when she first appears (unlike when Frieren is reading from the book), but I don't think I noticed any old timey structures, if that makes any sense (unlike, say, the grammar patterns used by the main character in Rurouni Kenshin).

SlowBloke posted:

Going for reggaeton beats in the op made it obsolete, nobody listen to that kind of music nowadays.

What kind of reggaeton do you listen to? I hear reggaeton on a daily basis due to where I live and I never thought 'for sure, this reminds me of reggaeton'. Also it's very hard for me to hate on a YOASOBI OP so I might be biased.

Azran fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Oct 2, 2023

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Azran posted:

Just amazing. Had to pick up the manga because I know I'm going to love it from what little I've seen in these four eps. For those of you who speak Japanese, is there something going on with Flamme's speech? It sounded like she had an accent of sorts to my learner ears when she first appears (unlike when Frieren is reading from the book), but I don't think I noticed any old timey structures, if that makes any sense (unlike, say, the grammar patterns used by the main character in Rurouni Kenshin).

The Frieren manga thread might have some answers: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3924943

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Azran posted:

What kind of reggaeton do you listen to? I hear reggaeton on a daily basis due to where I live and I never thought 'for sure, this reminds me of reggaeton'. Also it's very hard for me to hate on a YOASOBI OP so I might be biased.

Random summer pop poo poo that ran on the radio here in Italy a few years back, in 2019 it was pretty much constant (hell even parody rock grups like Nanowar did raggaeton as a joke), nowadays it's super rare.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
this is a really wonderful adaptation, does the source material perfect justice

Azran posted:

there's a reggaeton beat about 20 seconds in. i wouldn't really say the song is pure reggaeton or anything but it's funny to hear a little bit incorporated into this otherwise pretty typical dramatic anime op sound

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
That was really good. They absolutely nailed the music during those montages. Reminded me of the calm music in Lord of the Rings or How to train your Dragon.
They also worked in Qual's progression into mundaneness quite well. But I think he should have been a bit more dumbfounded by that revelation. In the manga that was one of the most impressive plot points. Humans are short lived, but develop amazingly fast. That must feel as if a swarm of houseflies would spent a year to collectively develop nukes.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

cant cook creole bream posted:

But I think he should have been a bit more dumbfounded by that revelation.

Very small spoiler: There's an in-universe reason that he wasn't.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Oh right. That.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
Finally caught a chance to watch it. It's good. I'm really curious where the season will land but don't want to speculate for spoilers =(

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

what day is Frieren Day gonna be

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Frieren Friday!

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world

this allusion meant posted:

come for the pathos of the setup, stay for the worldbuilding of magic as historically developing within societies and the portrayal of strategy based on a broadly, but not wholly, shared realm of capability and asymmetric information. or don't, but don't get hooked on the pathos cause we don't quite go back to that level

That's sad. At the risk of getting way too real in an anime thread on a dead gay forum, I watched the 4 episodes, loved them, and found out my cat has cancer last night. So a show exploring grief at living longer than those you love is kind of perfect.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
It's always there, even if just as subtext, and it basically colors most of Frieren's interactions, even if it's not overt about it. One neat thing that the manga does (haven't yet seen the anime so I don't know if it also does this, or even could do it as effectively), is to start each chapter with "X years have elapsed since the hero Himmel's passing." It's fantastic, it makes you mindful of the passage of time, and over time it dawns on you that the use of that as the milestone probably reflects Frieren's own thoughts, and it is probably constantly weighing on her mind (again, even if it's not overt and she isn't even actively thinking about it).

It's one of the reasons I just didn't like the title change from the original translation, "Frieren at the Funeral". (Other reasons are: it's alliterative, and it's loving badass.) Even the translator's choice to use the word "passing" is great, implying an ongoing journey.

usenet celeb 1992 fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 4, 2023

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
The "X years have elapsed" is indeed part of the series, part of how it punctuates times passage.

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

Hiro Protagonist posted:

That's sad. At the risk of getting way too real in an anime thread on a dead gay forum, I watched the 4 episodes, loved them, and found out my cat has cancer last night. So a show exploring grief at living longer than those you love is kind of perfect.

it’s still about processing all that, just in a more indirect way. they are retracing the path of the hero’s party, and it frames a lot of the story. history is a process mostly driven by humans and demons and the extent to which frieren is interested in it can be read as a sort of liking humans in lieu of having had a more specific relationship with himmel (and flamme). she also grows into a closer relationship with fern, but it’s very tied up with the nature of magic combat. i don’t know if it’s the thing for your particular situation but it’s not like a bait and switch or anything

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I'm fine with levity in a story like this one, but that moment with Stark tested my patience a bit. I'm sure those occasions will ve something of a rarity, though.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Bell_ posted:

I'm fine with levity in a story like this one, but that moment with Stark tested my patience a bit. I'm sure those occasions will ve something of a rarity, though.

i thought it was a good amount of levity, got a chuckle out of me. i'm an anime-only so idk how his character develops but i doubt he's gonna be comic relief like that, feels like just a way to set up for what's to come

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Showing Stark break the cool warrior facade but then immediately showing him serious about the axe training was good. They also just had Fern in a (relatively) silly moment running from the dragon putting them at the same general level. He needs to be more lively anyway to contrast the stoic Fern. Frieran isn't prone to slapstick but it's also not really some grim or solemn story either. 5 eps in I think I can say with confidence that the show gets the tone absolutely right

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

People might still be reeling from anything Zenitsu-adjacent but don't worry Stark is a good boy

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

GloomMouse posted:

Frieran isn't prone to slapstick

It's dark! And scary!

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
That's tragedy. :colbert:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Mirage posted:

It's dark! And scary!

https://twitter.com/FNZLDA/status/1709931712816508943

Alternatively

https://twitter.com/ueyamamichiro/status/1709918731428859956

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Oct 6, 2023

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Both of those are A+

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

really like the OP song and actually paid attention to the lyrics. Love them, really highlights the tone of the show.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

RuBisCO posted:

People might still be reeling from anything Zenitsu-adjacent but don't worry Stark is a good boy

This is reassuring because this was my exact fear watching this episode

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

First half with the ghost illusion demon was a good opener.

I was feeling bad for the Red Dragon, its just minding its own business, and they're gonna kill it for a random spellbook. But I guess they covered themselves by mentioning it randomly attacking the nearby village. Still feel it doesn't deserve to get killed for that.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

RuBisCO posted:

Out of curiosity, what does this mean? Not familiar with Zenitsu.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

He's a guy from Demon Slayer who screams a lot.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Rody One Half posted:

He's a guy from Demon Slayer who screams a lot.

Also tends to act incel like, jumping on unwilling girls. I feel the sex offender part is worse than the constant crying.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Yeah but it's also less relevant as regards Stark

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

Clarste posted:

Out of curiosity, what does this mean? Not familiar with Zenitsu.

his gimmick is he sucks and is a vocal coward but can fight well under specific conditions that no one actually understands. it's briefly funny but condemns him to being kinda no-growth as a character in most respects

stark isn't like that, he just got unlucky and got roped into this situation where the first thing people expect him to fight is something frieren can't trivially one shot

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

GateOfD posted:

I was feeling bad for the Red Dragon, its just minding its own business, and they're gonna kill it for a random spellbook. But I guess they covered themselves by mentioning it randomly attacking the nearby village. Still feel it doesn't deserve to get killed for that.

Dragons are assholes. The only reason anyone has a modicum of sympathy for them is the excessive amount of fictitious propaganda.
If you meet a dragon on the road, kill him.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

its like oh no, the dragon killed a bunch of adventurers.
well, I'm pretty sure they were trying to break into his home and rob his stuff anyway, like what Frieren is trying to do. They didn't even try to ask to trade for it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
It's unclear if dragons are at all intelligent in this setting. They treat it like a bear or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I'm glad we're at Stark now, things really start to gel when he's in the mix.