Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

GateOfD posted:

its like oh no, the dragon killed a bunch of adventurers.
well, I'm pretty sure they were trying to break into his home and rob his stuff anyway, like what Frieren is trying to do. They didn't even try to ask to trade for it.

They didn't say it explicitly but if dragons are attracted to magical items to make nests, presumably it showed up to take things like grimoires from the town. And yeah they seem to be more like just a big tough animal. Frieran doesn't seem the type to blow up a talking creature just for a random spell book... probably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Yeah I'm pretty sure it didn't buy, make, trade for, or otherwise peacefully obtain any of the stuff in that pile.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Absolutely loved the first 5 episodes, cried at least like 2-3 times. A bit weary of how deeply it'll go into the action stuff, since so far it's come off as fairly generic magic, so hopefully it doesn't lean too hard into that.

I find it a bit surprising that in her 1k+ years of life, Frieren hasn't hardly connected with anyone on an emotional level the way she did with Himmel and the gang, but I assume we'll go more into her backstory as things progress. I'm particularly curious to see how she reacted to her master's death - this kind of feels like her first time really losing someone she felt close to, which is a bit odd to me consider she's been alive for a millennia.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

If you knew everyone you ever met was basically a mayfly I can see not forming strong bonds with them. Especially if you're not really a gregarious sort to begin with. The same goes for the mayflies toward the (seemingly) unchanging immortal

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

CodfishCartographer posted:

Absolutely loved the first 5 episodes, cried at least like 2-3 times. A bit weary of how deeply it'll go into the action stuff, since so far it's come off as fairly generic magic, so hopefully it doesn't lean too hard into that.

I find it a bit surprising that in her 1k+ years of life, Frieren hasn't hardly connected with anyone on an emotional level the way she did with Himmel and the gang, but I assume we'll go more into her backstory as things progress. I'm particularly curious to see how she reacted to her master's death - this kind of feels like her first time really losing someone she felt close to, which is a bit odd to me consider she's been alive for a millennia.

Without going into spoilers theres an arc later in the manga that does a pretty good job of expanding and establishing the rule for magic in the setting in a way that doesn't feel like they're just making poo poo up as they go along. Most of the story is the traveling / reflecting on connections + bonds, etc but there are arcs where combat is a focus.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

When did Denken and his fists get introduced in the manga?

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

I just did a fresh re-read and I wanna say it's about 50ish chapters in. The first 4 episodes cover about 12 chapters so depending on how long the season is we could possibly get there but there's also a pretty logical place to end season 1 before that. We'll see!!!

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah he first shows up in chapter 37 and the anime has covered up to the end of chapter 10 so far.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Uuh, is this really a discussion to be had in anime thread?

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

I mean probably not but I don't think "A character is introduced in this chapter" is really a meaningful spoiler

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Ghosthotel posted:

I just did a fresh re-read and I wanna say it's about 50ish chapters in. The first 4 episodes cover about 12 chapters so depending on how long the season is we could possibly get there but there's also a pretty logical place to end season 1 before that. We'll see!!!

I think it's supposed to be a two cour, airing back to back.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Mordja posted:

I think it's supposed to be a two cour, airing back to back.

Yep, scheduled for 24ish episodes.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Two episodes into this. I like how its an actual fantasy and not isekai. I'm not thrilled at how much it still borrows the aesthetics of jrpgs though. I wish fantasy would spread itself a bit further, though I suppose that's baked into this setting on purpose with the defeat of the demon lord thing. But it makes me care less about these characters that they seem like stock tropes (i'm sure there's an argument to be made that they only seem like stock tropes because we don't have much time to get to know them, and that can thematically link to how Frieren traveled with them but didn't bother to get know them that well, etc.)

It's at least a somewhat unique premise.

The standout aspect is the production, i was surprised to see Mad House credited for the animation because while they were once a powerhouse of animation they'd kind of vanished from peak animation territory in recent years. The last really impressive thing I saw from them was One Punch Man's original season, and that was apparently because of a confluence of impressive freelancers as opposed to the studio itself. Maybe that's also the case this time, but it does work to put the studio back on the map.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

Ghosthotel posted:

Most of the story is the traveling / reflecting on connections + bonds, etc but there are arcs where combat is a focus.

Even the sections where combat is front and center are still very much about the characters. It's good writing that happens to have good combat.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ccs posted:

Two episodes into this. I like how its an actual fantasy and not isekai. I'm not thrilled at how much it still borrows the aesthetics of jrpgs though. I wish fantasy would spread itself a bit further, though I suppose that's baked into this setting on purpose with the defeat of the demon lord thing. But it makes me care less about these characters that they seem like stock tropes (i'm sure there's an argument to be made that they only seem like stock tropes because we don't have much time to get to know them, and that can thematically link to how Frieren traveled with them but didn't bother to get know them that well, etc.)

It's at least a somewhat unique premise.

The standout aspect is the production, i was surprised to see Mad House credited for the animation because while they were once a powerhouse of animation they'd kind of vanished from peak animation territory in recent years. The last really impressive thing I saw from them was One Punch Man's original season, and that was apparently because of a confluence of impressive freelancers as opposed to the studio itself. Maybe that's also the case this time, but it does work to put the studio back on the map.

A Place Further than the Universe was in 2018, and that was a real looker. Great show in general, too.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Ccs posted:

I'm not thrilled at how much it still borrows the aesthetics of jrpgs though. I wish fantasy would spread itself a bit further, though I suppose that's baked into this setting on purpose with the defeat of the demon lord thing. But it makes me care less about these characters that they seem like stock tropes (i'm sure there's an argument to be made that they only seem like stock tropes because we don't have much time to get to know them, and that can thematically link to how Frieren traveled with them but didn't bother to get know them that well, etc.)
While I very much agree in that I'm sick of anime pulling from the same old videogame tropes, it's a very loose framework that arguably gets less relevant as the story continues. Like, at least they're not talking about classes and levels and XP. No spoilers, but the manga's take on Demons later on is unique and one of my favourite things in it. The adaptation is also doing a great job of making the world seem more lived-in with all of its background details.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

chiasaur11 posted:

A Place Further than the Universe was in 2018, and that was a real looker. Great show in general, too.

Sonny Boy, also. 2021.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The characters will develop with time.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3Y9esqDspY

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Lukewarm take: So-called "JRPG fantasy" like this is aping Record of Lodoss War the same way that Western fantasy is constantly aping Lord of the Rings. Big-eared elves and Hero-as-profession and such stuff all came from that one seminal work. Everything that came afterward is following already established convention.

At least Frieren doesn't have a status screen and worry about leveling Fern up.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I think that take gave me frostbite

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Mirage posted:

Lukewarm take: So-called "JRPG fantasy" like this is aping Record of Lodoss War the same way that Western fantasy is constantly aping Lord of the Rings. Big-eared elves and Hero-as-profession and such stuff all came from that one seminal work. Everything that came afterward is following already established convention.

And Lodoss War is just based on the creator's modified D&D games, which was derived from LotR, so it all goes back to Tolkein.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
There is no new thing under the sun. Is there any thing whereof it may be said, See, this is new? it hath been already of old time, which was before us.

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006
using familiar setting elements lets you spin up and get to what is actually new and interesting in your story (if anything) much more quickly and economically than building from scratch. in the case of frieren, there’s definitely enough of that to justify the move, and the way it opens definitely relies on an economy of panels and would be worse off for setting up more of an original setting than necessary to tell the opening story. if a story uses familiar elements and goes nowhere fast anyway while bringing nothing to the table and doubling down on the hack aspects (rpg menus/status screens etc), that’s a condemnation of a work with nothing to say, which has little bearing on works that use familiar elements to say something with a running start

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Mirage posted:

Also Dragon Quest (1986). Lodoss War is 1988 which is also when Dragon Quest 3 came out and introduces the class system with the main character explicitly the unchangable "Hero" class

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I did like the purple haired girl's wizard staff, it looked heavy and like a sacred object crafted by a druid, as opposed to a more flowery jrpg wizard staff that tend to look like they're made from plastic. As far as anime and manga goes, Witch Hat Atelier is my top for mixing established imagery with twists on that imagery. I would love to see an animated fantasy series that goes as balls to the wall with un-commented upon weird world design as Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honnêamise, where everything looks both alien and familiar enough that you understand it without it having to be explained. Anyway,

This show also reminds me of the movie Maquia: When the Promised Flower Blooms.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Xelkelvos posted:

Also Dragon Quest (1986). Lodoss War is 1988 which is also when Dragon Quest 3 came out and introduces the class system with the main character explicitly the unchangable "Hero" class

The Standard Fantasy Setting it's riffing on is 200% Dragon Quest, both for the Hero class and the quest to defeat some generic Demon King. It's all Dragon Quest and it always has been.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Clarste posted:

The Standard Fantasy Setting it's riffing on is 200% Dragon Quest, both for the Hero class and the quest to defeat some generic Demon King. It's all Dragon Quest and it always has been.

It's true.

Konosuba? Dragon Quest.
Frieren? Dragon Quest.

The epic of Gilgamesh, dating back to the ancient Mesopotamians? Believe it or not, Dragon Quest.

(To be fair, Chargeman Ken, The Wire, Better Call Saul, and Neon Genesis Evangelion are more likely to have been based on Donkey Kong Jr. Math according to current scholars, but the studies are still somewhat controversial, so I don't want to commit too hard. I think most of us remember all too well the high profile claims that To Have and Have Not was based on Gyromite before the discovery of the legendary Hemingway and Bogart "Elevator Action" letter exchange.)

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Anytime you have a Hero fighting a Demon Lord in Japanese media, it definitely goes back to Dragon Quest, especially if the word they use for Hero is "yuusha". They even have a four-person party with a pretty standard selection of classes.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 29 days!)

Avengers: Endgame? Dragon Quest. Thanos is the demon lord

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

idonotlikepeas posted:

Anytime you have a Hero fighting a Demon Lord in Japanese media, it definitely goes back to Dragon Quest, especially if the word they use for Hero is "yuusha". They even have a four-person party with a pretty standard selection of classes.

It's not really clear what the distinction was between the old party's "hero" and their "warrior", other than the former is more interested in self-promotion.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Clarste posted:

Is that where the Maou having six generals comes from as well? For a few months I've been curious about the origin of some tropes prevalent in JP fantasy and it has actually taken me until now to realize that if I play the first DQ games I will probably get a lot of the answers.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Mirage posted:

Big eared anime elves are pretty good, op.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

GimmickMan posted:

Is that where the Maou having six generals comes from as well? For a few months I've been curious about the origin of some tropes prevalent in JP fantasy and it has actually taken me until now to realize that if I play the first DQ games I will probably get a lot of the answers.

Don't they usually have 4 generals? They're usually called the Four Heavenly Kings in Japanese, which is also what they call the Elite 4 in Pokemon. It's a much older and broader Japanese trope that you can even trace back to the legendary oni Shuten-Douji and his four lieutenants.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Brutal Garcon posted:

It's not really clear what the distinction was between the old party's "hero" and their "warrior", other than the former is more interested in self-promotion.

Generally a Hero is more of an all-rounder who's above average in close combat and magic but not as good as a warrior or mage/priest respectively in each. They're basically the Paladin.

This, I think, can be traced all the way back to one of the earliest editions of D&D where there were three main classes - Fighter, Magic-User, and Cleric - and the alternate Fighting Man class, Paladin.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

ep 6 was good, felt more light-hearted tho i appreciated more about Stark training with Eisen

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Fern's relentless poutiness at the prospect of having to stay anywhere for long periods of time is just wonderful :allears:

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

I love Fern and her ridiculously round head

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

binged it all today and this is a good anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The animation during the dragon fight this episode felt like it was trying to be dynamic and impressive but it didn't quite get there for me, the direction felt off

Kvantum posted:

And Lodoss War is just based on the creator's modified D&D games, which was derived from LotR, so it all goes back to Tolkein.

Tolkien arguably had bossfights and leveling up, with Gandalf evolving after he fought the Balrog