Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Centzon Totochtin posted:

I think it would've been a pretty good gag if the proctors disqualified frieren for breaking the barrier but that probably would cause a lot of problems narratively, plus fern would be pout so hard, levels unseen before

Why would they? It wasn't part of the ruleset given to them at the start of the test. Show up with your whole team and 1 Stille at the proper time, that was it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

I think my favorite thing is that out of every single thing that ever happened to her, mimics are the one thing that causes Frieren to lose her cool.

Even though the lightshow was fantastic, I'm still kind of sad that they didn't use a Mimic to trap the fake Frieren, especially when there was conversation from Fern wondering if the clones had the same behavioral weaknesses.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Sydin posted:

I mean, there's also that the exam itself is psychotic. The first challenge was designed to tacitly encourage teams to try and kill one another, and the second challenge is essentially "you ultimately have to swallow your pride, either to work together with others or break the bottle and save yourself, else you die." You'd think the mage's association would want more first class mages - not less - and yet the whole test seems to be set up as a meat grinder that just pointlessly imperils skilled mages. Ubel may be somewhat blase about killing, but if so she doesn't seem that different from somebody like Genau in that regard.

Why though? The whole point is that a first class mage should be able to take care of themselves in extremely dangerous situations - if they let more through that would just die in a random dungeon (where they don't have escape vials etc), it dilutes the whole concept. More 1st class mages isn't inherently good if they suck at doing the jobs a 1st class mage is needed for.

As for imperiling mages, it's not like you are forced to become the top ranking of mage or anything. If you don't want to risk your life, why are you trying for that ranking? The people at ranks 2 or 3 seem more than skilled enough to do a huge variety of jobs or to do magical research or to teach lower levels - basically they can do anything that isn't high level dungeon diving.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

I feel like the issue isn't really that the First Class Exam is too hard (because it isn't, when compared with what's waiting out there), but that the Association isn't doing enough work (or any work) to stop people who shouldn't have been there from taking it, thus losing lots of perfectly good Second Class mages.

But how many people have actually died so far? I know some people died in the first test (to the monsters at least, was anyone actually killed by another mage?). And then the second test had the bottle golems - did we see anyone die?

It seems like at least with the second test they have reasonable safety precautions to preserve the lives of those participating. The first test is a bit more of a weeding out, but if you can't hack it there you would just die in the north.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Yeah, there's no evidence that this dungeon was used as a test ever before. That one mage-lady (sorry, don't remember most of the names) even said her brother was part of the investigation into the place, whereupon most everyone died to the Spiegel. That doesn't jive with the idea that this is a tame dungeon they use all the time.

It seems like the Spiegel probably senses the strongest person to use as the defender of its body, and then the remainder as a way to corral and kill the invaders.

The tests seem like they are basically up to the proctors in terms of how they are designed. We saw that the 2nd class test was to move the guy with the strongest defensive spells, but that's because he himself came up with the test. A proctor with a strong offensive nature might require students to defend against their attacks instead.

Gully Foyle fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 12, 2024

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

except laufen, who despite a fair amount of screen time, seemingly has negative characterization

Laufen is at least a little notable. The other woman in the testing group with the brown hair, I cannot ever remember. Also mustache guy.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

I haven't read the manga either, but I would be really disappointed if there was some kind of master villain or big bad involved, and I would also be really disappointed if there is significant drama/conflict or falling out between Frieren and Fern. It just doesn't feel like that kind of world or story.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Brutal Garcon posted:

Thinking about it, the flower field spell seems to be able to produce any flower (any plant?) the caster ...has seen before? has studied closely and remembers enough of?

However that works, it's extremely broken - you presumably can't make a calorie profit, but it's a way to quickly mass-manufacture any substance you can derive from a flowering plant.

Why? I don't think magic in this universe somehow follows a conservation of energy from what we've seen. Magic does take some kind of work and makes you tired, but Frieren and Fern were able to like entire ships from the water. If you made a field full of an edible plant (dandelions for instance), I'm sure you could get more energy out of it than you put in.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Definitely going to go read the manga now, no way I can just wait for a new season.

I would have liked hearing what the spells the other passing mages got though.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Also feels like everyone who is able to participate in a 1st class test better be able to defend against ordinary offensive magic, or what the gently caress are you doing there?

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

A spell that does the laundry instantly is such a good spell, and that's me speaking of someone who has a modern washing machine. When you read of how much work and time and urine was involved in doing laundry in medieval times, gently caress yeah clean clothes spell.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Doodles posted:

This was something I asked about back when we first found out about the priveledge, but it bears returning to:

If it were you, what practical spell would you ask for from Serie? Presuming you couldn't have the clothes cleaning spell because Serie doesn't wanna give it twice. <(´⌯ ̫⌯`)>

Me, I'd like a spell that lets me clean floors & carpets. No more sweeping, no more vacuuming, no more mopping. Bliss.

I want a spell that makes me able to fall asleep (and wake up) at will. gently caress insomnia.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

It is amusing going back and the way the first OP makes Serie look like the main villain of the series with the throne, heavy shadows, and her smug smile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

sharkmafia posted:

if there was ever a manga that was guaranteed to get fully adapted its this one

idk how many seasons that will ultimately be but i guess we'll see

I'm gonna put this in spoilers, but there are no manga spoilers, just a comment on the number of manga chapters out there:

The manga is ongoing, but there's about 1 and a half more seasons of material if the adaptation covers at about the same rate as the first season.