Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I just marathoned this in three nights - my daughter mentioned to me since I’ve been out of the loop with anime for a while even though I used to be really into it.

It was so drat good and I’m so sad it’s over. It’s right up there with all the obvious “best anime” choices and might even be the best, personally, because it seems to target people past a certain age who have seen loved ones come and go, and felt like they could have done more for those people. It’s a great theme.

Even if that weren’t the case, the story is great, the pacing is great (I don’t know if anything that is all action based would hold my interest these days and the combination of slice of life, fantasy and action was perfect, the music is great and goddamn the animation was good.

My main dilemma now is if I read ahead into the manga. I started reading it tonight and intend to read up to where the anime ended (haven’t read a manga in longer than I hadn’t seen an anime start to finish), but I loved going into the anime blind; I didn’t even know what it was about before watching really. If/when there is a season 2 I’m sure I would enjoy experiencing it like that, but I don’t know if I’m patient enough to wait years for the second season. But I hear the “best arc” would be in season 2.

I’m just really glad to have experienced something so good, but I wish there were more of it. Better than too much of something and watching it fall off but I got so attached to the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

I feel like if you watch the last episode it will give you good advice for dealing with this exact situation.

I felt personally called out by the end of that episode

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Doodles posted:

We all were. It's subtle, but if you stop just when Himmel says "Tearful goodbyes aren't our style." the way his pupil is positioned shows he isn't looking at Frieren.

He's looking at us.

Oh poo poo :aaaaa:

I really liked the dub too and thought Frieren’s VA sounded great. In the first episode, especially after not having watched anime for a while expecting something totally different and more cliche sounding, I was like wtf is this adult mom flat delivery voice coming out of this small elf.

But it didn’t take long to warm up to it, and by the end I couldn’t imagine a better casting choice. I thought the sound and delivery really suited the character. Everyone did a great job, really (Stark was certainly a standout but I really liked Fern’s voice too). My only concern is however many years it takes to get to season 2, can they get the same VAs back again. I hope so.

I do really wish VAs could interact with one another during recording in some way, but I doubt that will happen any time soon.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Clarste posted:

To be honest I kind of think they went too far. The manga has a more subdued tone which I think adds to the atmosphere, so making everything bigger and better almost makes it into an entirely different work.

I think that’s the perfect way for an adaptation. Don’t change what shouldn’t be changed, respect the source material but take advantage of the medium. That way both have their strengths and are individually strong, and one doesn’t replace the other.