Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
The demons can communicate effectively and eloquently with humans but so can ChatGPT. We (as in the common population since I don't think actual scientists believed that ever) used to think something like the Turing Test can indicate human-like intelligence but it's pretty clear that isn't the case at this point.

While I don't think the demons are at the level of ChatGPT (and keep in mind just because they have communication abilities between themselves and social structures doesn't mean they're in any way compatible with human ones), it's really telling how people tend to anthropomorphize things and assume they must be like humans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Fangz posted:

Frieren was clear about it but it's not consistent with how it's depicted. ChatGPT bots don't ask each other what the word father means.

Cross communications between different LLMs and similar generative AI to teach concepts is already a thing. And ChatGPT already asks when faced with the unknown, often incorporating it well enough, after receiving an explanation, to be convincing.

There have been many strong challenges to what we had held as beliefs about human communications in the very recent times.

I have no idea what's next in this anime, but even ascribing malice to the demons may be premature. It could simply be the logical course of action for all I know so far (e.g., the supposition a poster above made about them being like amoral vampires).

ChronoReverse fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 22, 2023

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

SpartanIvy posted:

I just think it's a little unrealistic that 80 years after a major war that the defeated enemy forces are not only back but trying to act like they are peaceful now and influence politicians. Surely the people of the world would recognize these evil forces for what they are and not try to reason with or entertain them. Totally ridiculous.

That's the more realistic part of the show. In real life, people forget or try to change the narrative within a decade, much less 80 years.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Sorry, I have a terminal case of missingtheobviousjokeitis.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Eh, scrounged up over-emoting faces are a dime a dozen in anime and manga. It's a unique aspect of this anime that works well with the unusual circumstances of the characters with some of them being literally inhuman beings.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

I mean, there's over-emoting, and there's non-emoting.

I don't think asking for Fern to show some pain rather than having a calm conversation while impaled is too much to ask.

And neither Fern nor Stark are inhuman. They act exactly the same as the demons.
We know Fern is kinda nutty, it's her whole character. You can see her slightly grit in pain but she's clearly on purpose displaying the calm expression. At least that's my read from being an anime only watcher. Hilariously enough, the part about the impalement scene that bothers me is how Fern isn't drooping from the impalement point; apparently she's as physically stiff as her personality.

As for Stark, I don't know what you're watching but he's the most expressive by far in the fights of this episode. Not the usual screaming contorted shonen fight face but still reactive to the scenes.

ChronoReverse fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 3, 2023

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Lt. Lizard posted:

Wouldn't be surprised if she simply levitated there to make sure she won't get injured further by having the entire weight of her body resting on what is basically a blade made out of blood stuck in her shoulder.

Oh that totally makes sense as headcanon, flying appears to be a cantrip for her anyway and she'd totally do that just to mess with her opponent.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Can she still cast magic without her staff? Is it just an enhancer?

It must be an enhancer. She literally retrieved her staff using magic.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

The junk collector posted:

Should probably keep up the spoiler tags since the episode is only a day old but I do love at the end that they animated Linnie starting to run away but Stark's swing comes in way to fast for her to do anything but get cut in half

Yeah, I loved that bit of animation too. She actually did a very fast step back instead of the usual anime trope of "my weapon is stuck and therefore I'm completely stuck too" but the reach of Stark's axe and the instantaneous strike the moment it activated was just so fast (and so awesome looking!).

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Whoa that was cold.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
As usual, what will happen was obvious to anyone paying attention from the moment Aura's gimmick was explained a couple episodes back but it's how the story told leading up to it that's interesting.

From what some of the characters said about the heroes' party driving off Aura last time and that quick frame of Himmel cutting down Aura, I suppose Aura got away last time despite Frieren blasting the mind-controlled solders (and thus getting scolded), then hid until recently? I wonder if Himmel speedblitz'd her so hard that she was scared until Himmel was gone.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
It makes sense that he's just plain wrong though. We have the fact Fern hides her power levels, the evidence on screen and how the demons are arrogant while short-sighted. Furthermore, Frieren was absolutely confident Fern and Stark would win.

I think that if the two weren't so cautious (justifiably so since they wanted to prioritize the rescue) in the initial encounter, they probably would have outright won there and then.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

cant cook creole bream posted:

The problem with a hard impact is how due to inertia and position of impact, different parts of your body decelerate at different paces and how that causes breaks, rupturing and squishing. If that magic just picks you up by the shoulders, you'd be right. That basically just means the point of impact is a few meters higher in the air. But if it halts every cell or even molecule simultaneously that might acutally chancel out the momentum and prevent those nasty sloshing effects.
Can someone with a better understanding of medicine and physics verify? Obviously, that's not something you could test in real life, but I do wonder what would happen.

This is true but it's also magic so it wouldn't matter either way.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

GateOfD posted:

the magic in Frieren seems like a black box, which is fine. Since unlike other series which does try to explain the mechanic, this one doesn't so we just have to take things at face value.

Like with all the grimoires that Frieren has read, you think with just learning how all these mandune spells work over the centuries, she could make up her own spells, but I guess she can't.

Guess you can call her one of those people that just uses, but can't figure out how to engineer it, but they said she was at the front of purposing the demon killer spell, so she can do research stuff on it. Or I guess she's just fickle, and can't be bothered to do it herself unless its something really important like the demon killer spell.
I feel like that magic in Frieren is more like engineering than the typical "if you can imagine it" magic.

So not only would you need to master the control of magic in the first place, you'd also need to research how it affects reality. "Turning grapes sour" might then involve figuring out how to use magic to ferment the grape's sugar to vinegar. Perhaps isolating the magic's effect to "sugar" then simulating the fermentation chemical change.

If it were something like that, you'd need a lot more ancillary knowledge than just "magic" in order to make it happen (Frieren might know that the sugar in grapes make it sweet but she probably doesn't know you can ferment it into vinegar) but the final spell would be something anyone can use (black box).

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

sharkmafia posted:

Yeah it wouldn't be very clear to a person that hasn't read the manga what's going on there, particularly if you can't understand japanese

Biggest takeaway for me is I think I heard at least one new evan call song in there that sounds pretty sick. also the new OP which is still a bit of a mismatch with the rest of the show but that's fine

People tend to freak out about "spoilers" in trailers and openings when it really doesn't for someone who doesn't know the source material. If anything, them calling attention to it makes it more likely to be a spoiler rather than just a cool montage.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
To me, the only reason Kraft didn't swat her is because he's literally seen thousands of her type and after swatting hundreds in his younger days he realizes it didn't actually matter.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

sharkmafia posted:

Tbh i'm not convinced that a spell that fires a literal magic laser beam takes less mana than a spell that throws rocks (admittedly a lot of them, and very fast).

But yeah fern has far more mana than she seems to and we know that using defense magic in particular takes a lot of mana. So how casually she's just throwing out tons of zoltraaks and defense spells given how much mana she appears to have is probably making her opponent uneasy
That's the point of Zoltraak, it's hyper-optimized for killing and my read is that Qual was able to do it all day to all challengers considering how he just poured it on Frieren and Fern.

But defense magic is explicitly mana expensive so Fern being able to just use it like a cantrip, even with the more efficient barely enough coverage, is really something to take a pause at.

ChronoReverse fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 23, 2024

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
We also love the trope of "I'm the only one who can see the good (or whatever contrary to popular belief flavor) in this" when here it's exactly what the demons prey on.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
I don't recall them talking about it in the anime. As an anime-only, I remember that Frieren didn't want to take Fern as an apprentice citing their high death rates. Makes me wonder why that's the case.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Kinda stupid argument to make out Fern being unable to defend against the entirely unblockable binding spell being some sort of weakness in what she does. Do we even know she can't see through the deception type magics using her known strong ability to sense magic? Why isn't her ability to simply stealth and then point a gun at the head of basically whoever she wants not more than sufficient?

Or is this some future knowledge bullshit that should GTFO of this thread?

ChronoReverse fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 30, 2024

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
In any case, let's discuss something more interesting.

Both examiners could move even as the Stile still approaches them. A spell of some sort (because of the exam maybe?) or a common 1st class ability to move with zero mana leakage that even Frieren doesn't have?

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Denken probably took a monk dip somewhere along the way. That was a great reveal of his intention there.

The examiner opening her umbrella immediately was cute too.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Shinjobi posted:

Well, young Gojo

I'm glad you added this because I was going NO WAY.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Ranzear posted:

More like knew it was gonna happen the moment there was a water caster and it was blocking the rain.
She literally says herself that if it were rain she'd do great. It was a given for a while already, it was just how it would be done. Once they mentioned it was Serie's barrier then it was clear only Frieren could do it and she did almost immediately afterward.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Explains why she was annoyed at Fern for using basic offensive and defensive magic the whole time.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
I like how they and we get to experience how perfect the copying of !Laufen was first so they know how screwed they are when encountering !Frieren.

I have to think Denken has a plan?

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

dublish posted:

If she's just going to open the chest regardless, why bother with the detect spell at all?

Probably Fern casted it but Frieren just wants to believe.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
https://youtu.be/VT7mZComrzw?si=1ukRlWRlcb2aa8uL

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
It's a series and here #1 https://youtu.be/X3Y9esqDspY?si=dZzxuuTg2Hu2AH21

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
That was a fun episode. I'm liking the side-characters a lot more than I had expected when this arc started but it could be because I like competence.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
The way that giant stone block was just instantly evaporated away into nothing was some nice animation.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

I think the implication here is that not everyone who can use magic is a mage. An artisan who knows like two spells to help with their work won't bother to take the mage exams. Mages are the ones who exclusively dedicate themselves to mastering magic as their business.

Yeah, Frieren even learns a spell from a non-mage in one episode I think? Magic is just a thing for humanity at this point but you don't have to be a mage (which seems to imply battle).

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
I wonder why the camera lingered on Methode a bit longer when Frieren and Fern were about to enter the chamber. Hopefully it'll just be nothing.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
I find it hilarious that clone-Ubel targeted Land with Sorganeil AGAIN despite Denken being right there and surely a greater threat

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Bocchi the Rock sure got a big glowup too from the manga.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
It appears to be manslaughter rather than outright murder it seems at least given she said she cut too deeply. Still seems to be a horrible person.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Das Boo posted:

A friend told me a story about being 3 or 4 years old and getting up in the morning to make herself eggs. Her mom came down halfway through and told her she can't do that. She remembers distinctly thinking, "Well, I was doing it, so you're wrong."

My friend woulda been a good mage.

If my kid was actually halfway through making eggs, I'd just teach how to do it safely, tell them to ask for an adult to watch whenever they do and then have them make some for me too to demonstrate they understood.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Sydin posted:

Right, and in that regard Ubel's probably the closest to the actual Association philosophy in that she seems primarily interested in using the test as a means to obtain new and stronger magic, which again makes it funny that Sense thinks she's an alien and the Association has already booted her from an exam.

I don't really agree with this. Ubel isn't able (or hasn't demonstrated the temperament) to develop new magic in the first place. Even her usage of Reelseiden is extremely limited and not under her control at all since it's not that Ubel made herself able to cut hair by convincing herself that she could but that it's just something she already felt in the first place.

This ties further into "1st class mages should be able to overcome". Ubel doesn't (or hasn't since I don't know the future) overcome anything she isn't already good at. It's not that she figured out she could beat the super fortress cloak but rather it happened to be something that looks cut-able to her.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

galagazombie posted:

Something someone in this thread set off my tinfoil hat tendencies and made me think something about Ubel. Someone said something to the effect that Ubel doesn’t think like a human. And I’m thinking maybe that’s exactly what it is. Especially with how the flashback hid the upper half of her sisters head. And the whole scene where she meets Kraft and he figures out her weird plot to go on a murder spree but only in self defense. Or the contradiction of her having difficulty empathizing but having empathy powers. It’s almost as if she’s some kind of human-demon hybrid created as part of some plot who ran away. So she has the demon kill drive but the human ability to choose not to indulge in it or at least try and find ways to not feel guilt over it like the aforementioned “Kill bandits in self defense” scene. Maybe there will be a reveal where we see her sister had horns. That or I’m reading way too much into the girl being edgy.
That's an interesting theory and makes me recall Linie who could do something similar but with physical techniques.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
They're all second and third class mages (sans Frieren) so they've passed exams like the "knock the mage back" test which they didn't find unreasonable.

So only the first-class mage exams are unreasonably difficult and purposely so.