Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Anytime you have a Hero fighting a Demon Lord in Japanese media, it definitely goes back to Dragon Quest, especially if the word they use for Hero is "yuusha". They even have a four-person party with a pretty standard selection of classes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Mirage posted:

The five-second animation of them walking past some random guard who very slowly changed perspective as they passed him was a flex. As was Stark floating around in his freezing-to-death delusion. And of course when Kraft puts on a shirt.

Someone mentioned that the animators clearly have someone really good at animating people putting on coats and I now think of that every time a person in this show elaborately puts on or takes off any item of clothing.

Das Boo posted:

There's a horror story in there about robots assimilating the daily activities of the humans they eradicated without really understanding why they're doing them.

Roger Zelazny wrote a short story in 1966 called "For a Breath I Tarry" in which robots are engaged in rebuilding human society... except the humans are all dead due to nuclear war, so they're just building a bunch of empty cities that nobody will ever live in. (It's excellent. He wrote a lot of good robot stories, really.)

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Well, it is a story about loss, after all.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Frieren as a whole is basically "what would the world look like thirty years after the hero of a Dragon Quest game died?"

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

It's probably a decent statement of the priorities of this show that, in this episode, the conclusion of the test that determines whether the protagonists get to continue their journey or have to wait for three years is given roughly the same amount of time as the story about a lady getting mad because her surrogate mom didn't understand her.

(This is why I like the show.)

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Doodles posted:

We all were. It's subtle, but if you stop just when Himmel says "Tearful goodbyes aren't our style." the way his pupil is positioned shows he isn't looking at Frieren.

He's looking at us.

By gum!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

surf rock posted:

Anyway, I just read the entire thread and here were my favorite posts:

22 days after the end of Frieren Season One, in the anime thread, located on the Something Awful Forums