Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Really good show. Must be incredibly hard to pull off a story focused on a character whose primary characteristics are her complete lack of urgency and purpose, but the mostly very relaxed pacing, sense of time passing and thoughtful reflections on past relationships really create a unique tone and explore some interesting ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Also love all the implied characterisation regarding how much Frieren remembers about her companions (and how that informs her actions), in contrast to our outwardly callous behaviour.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I can definitely see why people would be uncomfortable with the whole narrative, but I thought it was pretty interesting. The amorality borne from asociality is a fairly unique take, it's usually more like "evil races get together and do bad things for no reason". The demon kid's actions did genuinely seem to be borne from a misunderstanding and fear, too, so I wonder if there may be some path to coexistence (as long as humans understand what demons are and don't interact with them the same way they would humans).

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'd also note that the Demon Child didn't really set out to deceive, exactly - they did seem to be honestly trying to placate people they sensed danger from. It just had absolutely tragic results since they were unable to grasp the ideas of community (other people cared about the village leader), basic moral norms (you mustn't murder people) or family ties (the death of a child is not in any way mitigated by receiving another one). It does on some level make sense that a naturally solitary predator which doesn't raise its young would have no need for those concepts.

The thing which is harder to explain at this point is how the Demons actually managed to come together as a nation (given that these ideas of morals and community would seem essential to any society), but I assume that will be explained at some point. Maybe there's some mechanism by which stronger demons can control weaker ones, with the nation's stability deriving from a huge hierarchy of demons bound to obey.

e: that could also explain why taking out the "demon lord" would be so crippling, without a clear top dog the nation would probably fracture since the remaining lieutenants wouldn't be able to co-operate

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 21, 2023

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

They also presumably have been taught about how to get on with humans by the nation they belong to, which the kid wouldn't have had the benefit of.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah. Since a demon's natural state is that of a solo hunter it didn't intuitively understand that an attack on a single member of a community will be taken as an attack on the entire community. The model it seemed to arrive at was something like "each parent treats their child as property and will be angry if you take that property from them".

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Oct 23, 2023

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Mulva posted:

Also nice bit of word play, where the title of this episode is the same as the series. Soso no Frieren. Which can be both "Frieren at the funeral" and "Frieren sends you to your funeral". Frieren the Slayer. She can appear a bit spacey and apathetic, but boy howdy should you not underestimate how *profoundly* dedicated she is to killing demons.
drat. Love an ambiguous title

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Frieren obviously has no sympathy when dealing with demons but it's not like she went on a campaign to fight the remnants over the past 80 years. I guess she might be OK with them as long as they aren't trying to encroach upon human territory (with the Demon Lord being powerful enough to threaten humanity as a whole).

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

She was always pretty stoic and travelling around with Frieren for years probably hasn't changed that. I guess she knows there's no point in trying to appeal to a demon's better nature.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Can she still cast magic without her staff? Is it just an enhancer?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The resolution of the fight was obvious but exploring it gave us a lot of insight into Frieren as a character and even a glimpse of how demon society works. Very good ep.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

From the manga I was under the impression that the Demons had literally no internal world or monologue and were essentially humanoid automatons. I guess I was mistaken since they do clearly have thoughts here.
It seems pretty clear to me? Demons are intelligent but by nature lack the bonds of family and community that allow humans to feel empathy and compassion - they only fake these in order to trick humans. Instead their society is held together by a hierarchy in which the weak obey the strong (something which can be easily established without direct conflict as demons constantly display their magical power to each other).

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Frieren is interested in learning spells from people she meets but not in keeping up with the bureaucracy they expect wizards to undertake

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Nov 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Finally caught up. Wasn't sure about the switch to a chuunin exam-style arc but I liked it in the end, especailly the third test. The Übel scene was particularly good because it was like, "yeah I know you're imagining cutting me in half right now, what else is there to say".