Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Picked up the series and I've watched the first two episodes. First impressions are very positive. Contemplative walks and coming to terms with the passage of time and how well we truly know other individuals is definitely my jam.

The Yoasobi OP is fine but doesn't exactly prepare you for the whiplash of going from a jaunty pop to the pastoral soundtrack yanked from the Witcher games. The show's score is rather lovely, and the OP is fine but not really a mesh for me to make it a true standout OP.

I watched the first episode with subtitles and the second episode with dubs. The dub is exceptionally good but I'll have to finish the show with subtitles first because yet again Crunchyroll half asses things and doesn't translate onscreen text for the dubbed episodes and I loving hate it when they do that. I miss the days when video players were capable of doing marvelous things like translating text without also closed captioning an entire episode. So I'll watch with subtitles so I can get the context from the quotes that occasionally pop up and then I'll go back for the dub.

Frieren is so absentminded or hyper focused that years pass by and people have to remind her what she's missing due to her long life. It's reminding me of the Elrond and Durin scenes from the Amazon LOTR show, which is good because those were the only parts of that show worth watching.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Dec 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Finished episode 4. So they aired these four episodes together at the start, right? Kind of an Outlaw Star style setup arc for what the rest of the story is going to be about?

I liked the second episode best so far with the search for the flowers and Frieren taking on Fern as an apprentice. It's also quietly amusing just how little Frieren understands about other races and their lifespans until she speaks it out loud and then it immediately clicks for her. It seems like she was completely checked out for the entirety of her generic fantasy adventure with Himmel and crew and she's doing a round two to actually try to understand and appreciate the time and experiences of those around her.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
She's an old grandma and I liked that the dub made her sound older.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I've got two days to do twelve episodes to catch up.

Simple.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Okay, finished episode 10 today. I'll do the rest up to 16 tomorrow because I need a break after that.

Honestly it got rather tiring seeing that confrontation get dragged out. It's not exactly tension building when they've telegraphed Frieren's big power move against the Demons for multiple episodes and when you spend every other sentence for four episodes straight talking about suppressing mana. Woohoo, you pulled an Dragon Ball move suppressing your power level.

Whenever the show dips into talking about mana, magic systems, the Demon King or "worldbuilding" exposés my mind kinda glazes over because it's really not that interesting of a fantasy setting. The appeal for me isn't knowing the history of Fantasy Land or any of that greater context because it's the most basic rear end setup you could get for a TTRPG inspired fantasy world. What I'm interested in is the characters perceptions of time, interpersonal relationships and how Frieren has and has not changed over the decades and centuries. I'm interested in watching Stark's fortitude in the face of a real challenge, or Fern channelling Frieren's teachings also completing tasks in the quickest manner possible as befitting her shorter lifespan. I'm not interested in over an hour of run-time waiting for the moron Demons to realize "wait they're hiding their power levels that's not fair."

Despite that slog, I'm enjoying Stark joining the team, though I'm certainly more interested in his moments of courage and insight than I am his frequent attempts to chicken out and call grandma Elf to fix the problem. But when he's on his game and being fully honest he's a fun character and I appreciate the moments of levity AFTER he's done something badass like his dragon battle.

Here's hoping that the next few episodes they go back to the little vignettes and travelogue observations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Execution vs intent. I'd vibe with it more if it wasn't paced like a shonen battle anime taking four episodes plus multiple flashbacks, recaps and inner monologue observations midfight to get to the point.

But hey, you do you if you think that my only takeaway was power levels because I happened to roll my eyes at that part and felt it dragged the pace to a crawl. I just didn't like these episodes as much as the ones beforehand.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jan 4, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I guess I just didn't find the demons all that interesting as enemies and I didn't feel that the show needed four episodes to tell this particular storyline.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

sharkmafia posted:

fortunately you've got a bunch of episodes coming that are more the kind of thing you like

I'll say!

Just wrapped up episode 16, so I'm all set for tomorrow. Favs of this bunch were Stark's birthday episode when Frieren turned into a little prankster goblin with her potion, Sein's introduction episode and the one that was split between Sein turning into a Witcher for a while and then ending with Stark playing prince while the animators flexed their dancing chops. I also loved the moment of Frieren's silent realization that Himmel absolutely knew the meaning behind the ring's symbol even if she didn't at the time.

On the last episode, the part with Old Man Voll finally got to me when it turned out he really was starting to go senile. No music, just a quiet moment to reflect that even the longest lived individuals may eventually forget their reasons and only hold onto their somethings. It was genuinely sad and hit the melancholy notes just right.

Oh! I forgot the moment where Sein turned into Saitama for a second to ask what was with this sassy lost child after Frieren blew him a kiss.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jan 5, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
New OP and ED. Kinda love the new ED continuing with the first ED's song but with the super neat stop motion visuals.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqsnJJK8GA4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAOQDCF0jQE

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
JUST DATE ALREADY

I felt that, Sein.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

GateOfD posted:

The Frieren x Sein boat sinking before having a chance to sail :(

If hed gone with them to Außberg he could have met a sexy older lady who gave them shelter while Fern was sick.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Dude can lift boulders with senile dwarfs atop them and carve canyons with his axe blows. I'd be more surprised if he didn't have strong hands.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Super Jay Mann posted:

He really is just six years old mentally sometimes :allears:

Those clouds look like boobs, and that one looks like a turd!

He goes from being a compassionate guy who helps out everyone around town to laughing at poop jokes without skipping a beat.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

Even then, his next thought was that he totally wanted to share something he found amusing to Fern when he sees her, and then immediately tries to share something he found amusing to Fern the second he saw her.

And then quickly dropping it when he reads her face and realizes yeah, maybe not.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yoasobi very much does "anime anthem" style songs, which can work depending on the show, but the songs can bleed into each other and fall into the same rhythmic patterns and structures you typically think of when you imagine anime OP music writ large.

The new OP for Frieren is fine but I still don't exactly feel it matches the show's vibe. I'm not sure what would match the vibe until I'd hear it and it clicks for me, though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/koumorinahi/status/1744403596480037197?t=c8xkzyh1K5s50H0bsKNxug&s=19

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

GateOfD posted:

Is that an AI dubbing voice

No, the mic quality is too crusty. There's a difference between a robot trying to sound like a human and a human trying to sound like a human but sounding like a robot.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jan 9, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Dunno if this is a reach or if I'm picking up on potential manga spoilers. It seems to me that, despite Himmel and crew defeating the Demon King and ushering in an Age of Peace, they might not have done that thorough of a job?

They couldn't defeat Qual when they first set out, settling instead for sealing him away. Aura was able to assemble a formidable warband of enchanted armours and would have overrun towns if Frieren hadn't appeared. The sword Himmel wielded was a replica and he'd actually failed to pull the true Hero's Sword from the stone, thus leaving that prophecy unfulfilled. The Northern Lands are still infested with monsters bound to the material plane by mana which is coming from somewhere.

Then there's also the tale of Kraft and his traveling companion who set out for adventures centuries earlier. Sein sees a parallel between himself and Gorilla and the statue. And Frieren seeing parallels with her previous 10 year adventure and the present. They might be undergoing cycles of remembering and forgetting and the only ones who exist long enough to recognize the patterns are the Elves. Elven perception of time is so different from humans that I'm starting to wonder if the decades the characters are currently living through isn't actually the foretold "Age of Peace" but just a lull. Elves being so long-lived maybe the Demon King ordered their extermination for reasons yet to be told that has to do with the prophecies. Elves might be the ones meant to inherit the endless days of peace compared to the relative flash in the pan of human existence.

It could be a human Age of Peace but not one for the total history of the world that the prophecy foretells.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
True enough and like I said I am mostly piecing things together through observation rather than saying that him not pulling the sword is definitive proof of anything. I haven't read into the manga so this is really just speculation.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
A tribe of sentient gorillas would explain where Gorilla Warrior has probably ended up.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If Fern gets any taller Frieren will need to levitate to give head pats.

Stark spent most of his time sleeping.

Kraft makes a drive by monk appearance.

I see we're getting into another arc of episodes. Off to a better start than the boring demons because some of these mages look like they could be fun characters. Ubel looks like she wants to be the Garou of the show and kill off the competition.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 13, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

pork never goes bad posted:

I can only wish that the hamburger gets the same attention to animation that lugner did

Well the hamburger steaks sure did. Just need some buns big enough for them.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Shinjobi posted:

Bigger...buns...

Stark, I need you dummy thicc on the double

If this is a mage exam then Stark ain't gonna take it which leaves him more time for leg day.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Stark sleeps through this arc.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Quinton posted:

I am somewhat surprised there is no headpat supercut video yet (at least not that I've stumbled upon).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9obj8wz3uu4

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
At least they're not differentiated between Valian Years and Solar Years.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So Himmel is Gandalf then

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah himmel was certainly not rich despite being the savior of mankind. He had no elaborate state funeral with a giant monument.

They couldn't afford a giant monument for Himmel because the kingdoms all spent way, way too much money building hundreds statues dedicated to him wherever he decided to stop and strike a pose.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

There's plenty of these memes going around but this particular one sent me back.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So the test isn't necessarily intended to be lethal, mages are just assholes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

TwoPair posted:

Why not both? :v:

Well Denken says that the 1st Rank Mages limit their numbers as much to project the power and privilege of their title as anything else. Let the wannabes kill each other without raising a finger.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The more impressive thing about their shielding techniques is how fast their reaction times are to summon pinpoint deflections.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If elemental spells only work by imbuing the element with mana (like Kanne's water magic) then that just adds an extra layer to casting a spell when you could just zap people.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If this is only stage one of the exam can I assume that we're gonna be on this track for the rest of the cour?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
From the way Kanne and Lawine were talking it takes time to imbue things with enough mana to be effective, though that could be because water is so heavy, I dunno.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So this is ep 20 and there's 8 more to go and two more exams? This is gonna be the rest if the season or are there anymore adventure of the week interludes before the cour ends?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I haven't seen Stark for a while and I want a cut back to him doing push-ups for hours on end while explosions happen in the distance.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
One thing I would like to see in the show is more of a contrast between the current day and the world during the Hero's quest. I Haven't really got much sense of how much worse the world was under threat of the Demon King mainly because Frieren's flashbacks are primarily happy moments rather than memories of battling the encroaching dominance of evil. It's why I'm getting Witcher vibes as the closest comparison to another fantasy setting. Big world shaking events do happen but when you just go about your life across the centuries one village massacre under the shadow of the Dark Lord isn't that different from another village attack from a monster.

"I've lived through a whole Dark Age and three supposed End of Days." Geralt and Frieren would get along.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
In a world where the strong guy is called Stark, I think you just have to roll with on the nose naming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm waiting for the One Punchline Man to happen where all this posturing and flashy battle technique gets resolved with a single strike from Frieren after she gets bored.