Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
This is just a gorgeous show. It's always great when an excellent manga gets a transcendent adaptation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It was honestly some pretty dumb consternation so I hope not.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I mean, it was a tragedy for the demon in that it died. That's the only part of the situation that it would have cared about.

The thing about demons in Frieren is that they're capable of understanding how humans think and feel, but understanding human motivations isn't the same thing as sharing them.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I think a question that's worth answering here is "is it really worth trying to integrate demons into your community any more than, say, dragons?".

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

this allusion meant posted:

the thing with the demons and social metaphor is that they’re a representation of how wildly different from real animals or social beings monsters would have to be to justify the attitude towards their extermination that is the default in the turnkey fantasy settings the work is in conversation with. it’s in contrast to how casually others write living, feeling beings into stories only to normalize that they exist to be destroyed as part of someone else’s story. rationally, the demons have to be fought, but they have appearances and capabilities over humanoid empathetic faculties that make you wonder if that’s actually true. conversely, many “monsters” in sword and sorcery type fantasies don’t obviously have to be existential enemies, and they have sensually or culturally repugnant features piled on to prevent you from thinking about whether that’s true. do monsters really exist as a distinct category from ordinary creatures within co-evolved ecologies? what would be necessary for that to be the case, and what would the extension of that logic into the form of humanoids actually imply? frieren is taking this seriously without voiding the setting

It's also a setup for examining the way that Frieren herself is fundamentally alienated from all short-lived beings, which is essentially everybody she knows, but is not incapable of acting as part of society.

pork never goes bad posted:

It may not understand the concept of "protection" in the way you're using it - the words are actions that it takes, so extending that protective concept to things other people do, which is very natural to us as adults in a social species, may be a significant cognitive jump for it and perhaps even one its brain is simply incapable of at its current developmental level. And even if it could understand the idea of a protective entity, it can sense the murderous intent by the parents of the child it ate and may view remedying that as a more reliable source of protection than the protective entity who, as we see shortly thereafter, is not that strong in comparison with itself. As to why kill the chief and family - it had access. Killing someone else would be risky. The parents of the other child are wary. To go out at night to kill another random family incurs risk of unforeseen complications or simply of being caught. It's apparently a child, so it's likely that the chief would have told it that it couldn't go out at night, and as we've established it'll take into account what it's told - it just doesn't know a whole lot of seemingly obvious things that it hasn't been told yet.

I think the critical thing is that none of the demons in this episode experience any empathy for humans or place any value on individual humans. More sophisticated demons like Lugner are better at seeming like they experience empathy, but he is, critically, no closer to actually doing so than the child demon.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I think the main thing the demons seem to lack, other than empathy, is curiosity. Lugner did a lot of talking about his dedication to magic, and every demon seems to put a lot of effort into their magical specialty, but I don't think it would ever have occurred to him to spend time pursuing mostly-useless magics the way Frieren does, even though she only likes magic "slightly".

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Super Jay Mann posted:

And also Maki from Kaguya: Love is War, which is downright hilarious to think about.

Yeah, especially since Himmel does kind of resemble Tsubasa before his makeover.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

TwoPair posted:

Heiter made them stop at every craft brewery so he could try every single one.

I feel like Heiter took a lot of heat for things that all three of the men in the party secretly wanted to do.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I do kind of wonder whether Frieren is in fact a teenager, given that we know from looking at Kraft that elves aren't all that short.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Given how many times Frieren has come close to death due to her own dumbassery, it seems like statistically speaking elves would all have died by accident before any of them even got to find out how far their lifespan goes before it cuts off.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It's explicit that some magic is understood and can be altered, and some magic is black-box stuff that they copied from other sources and have to use more or less exactly as they found it.

Zoltraak was once a black box, and humanity (including Frieren) spent decades reverse-engineering it, so it was evidently a huge effort that they made a priority because humans just hate being zoltraak'd.

Flight is still in the black box category, and evidently Frieren wasn't motivated to spend another hundred years in the office to figure out how to levitate a vehicle. Somebody else will figure it out before long!

It seems like "basically everything priests do" is in the second category as well, only the goddess handed them a very large black box with a bunch of handy instructions.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

I liked the second episode best so far with the search for the flowers and Frieren taking on Fern as an apprentice. It's also quietly amusing just how little Frieren understands about other races and their lifespans until she speaks it out loud and then it immediately clicks for her. It seems like she was completely checked out for the entirety of her generic fantasy adventure with Himmel and crew and she's doing a round two to actually try to understand and appreciate the time and experiences of those around her.

I think the main thing about Frieren is that she thought having nearly-infinite time meant she could afford to waste time.

It turns out she can't! She absolutely can't!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It's more like, you think you can watch a show whenever you get around to it and then Zaslav deletes it from every streaming service to save money and it's too late.

(At first you think "well, I'll just pirate it" but then you realize that none of the torrent clients you used to use work anymore and none of the trackers you remember have any seeds.)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Pan Dulce posted:

Plus, he was still working out while in the cabin. Dude keeps it tight.

I kind of wondered what the answer to Gorilla Warrior's question of "could I be as buff as Kraft if I worked out really hard" would even be.

Apparently you can work out until you can carry boulders around and still be a noodle boy. Maybe it literally takes ten thousand years to build a body like an underwear model in this universe and Kraft can bench-press the planet. Or possibly it's completely unrelated and you just have to convince the manga artist to give you a new character design.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

Those clouds look like boobs, and that one looks like a turd!

He goes from being a compassionate guy who helps out everyone around town to laughing at poop jokes without skipping a beat.

It seems relevant that he went from having no women in his life to being the only male in the party in fairly short order.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I'm also vaguely reminded of the two teens in Kaguya-sama who are constantly having sex with each other, who aren't actually that important to the plot but do serve the purpose of making it clear that the two main leads, with their incremental progress and mind-games, are not actually the only approach to sexuality in that universe.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I don't think this is an anime about how history is moving towards a state where all problems are solved forever.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

People know who Frieren is if they care. She's part of history, but she's a B-tier part of history, so people only really know who she is if they're personally connected to her or they're students of history.

How many generals who served under George Washington can you name?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Nebrilos posted:

Frieren did save the world but that was what, 80 years ago? That's forever ago in human terms.

Himmel saved the world; Frieren was just the elf who hung around with him.

No but seriously Frieren's entire modus operandi is about not being remembered as the one you need to watch out for.

Rand Brittain fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jan 20, 2024

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Super Jay Mann posted:

I'm pretty sure I still haven't switched from the first basic not-magic missile spell you find in my time playing a mage build. Maybe I missed something that's obviously better and OP but all the spells I keep finding and trying out just have me thinking "what's the point?" They either barely do more damage or are horribly mana inefficient.

Generally speaking in FromSoft games the basic attack spell is and is meant to be the best in terms of "damage per MP spent." In the situation where you can cast the spell at an any as many times as you want, it's always going to be the best.

Other spells are going to be for situations like "I really want to delete an enemy out of that group before I aggro the rest of them", "I need to damage multiple enemies at once", or "this one can hit multiple times if the enemy is large enough." Or, or course, the very popular "this boss won't just sit there and let me cast at her."

For Frieren it seems to be that basic attack magic that just tosses mana around is very efficient and effective, and the advantage of studying something like water magic that uses a physical element as a medium is that the skill you put all that time into training has uses both in and out of combat, whereas Zoltraak just kills.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Most people who have been close enough to a demon to listen to its lies are now dead. Thus, most of the really-accurate information on demons is second-hand.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah, there's a lot to be said for "magic that has uses other than killing people."

You can even see it here! Most of the mages whose magic we've seen in this exam have specializations that have broader utility beyond combat, like water manipulation, ice manipulation, and the like.

Then we have mages like Ubel and Wirbel, who have specialized even harder in killing people.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Kwyndig posted:

I'm not sure how I feel about in order for Fern to progress, Ubel has to survive. I'm sure that'll come back to bite somebody in the rear end, even if it's not our two mages.

Well, whatchagonna do, kill her for being kind of sketchy and evil, probably? Nobody here has actually seen her do anything really bad.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It could easily matter in a combat situation. Outside of combat it probably depends on how long it takes you to recharge, which I don't think we know the answer to. I don't think we've ever seen a mage "tapped out" and waiting for regen to kick in.

It's possible that a mage can refill her mana in five minutes if she has a chance to breathe, which is peanuts if you're doing everyday work, but death if you're battling or flying.

Of course, it could also take a lot longer.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Maybe we should start taking bets on who's going to become a first-class mage and who's going to die.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Warden posted:

You think manga readers can withstand the temptation of pretending that they do know that already and are just guessing?

Well, they better!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Brutal Garcon posted:

Do you think this time period's relative lack of mages has anything to do with the lethality of their exams?

(and I know this town is basically run by the mage's guild, but you'd think whatever other authorities existed would frown on that. Like sure, a class N mage should be able to handle that, but that's no reason to deplete our stock of class N+1s)

The third-class exam is evidently not lethal at all, given that Fern apparently aced it off-screen without having to leave town, so I would assume not.

The system does seem kind of stupid, but that's evidently intentional since three different mages all commented on it being stupid in this episode, in one sense or another.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

TwoPair posted:

I was gonna do that but I couldn't think of any joke answers besides Stark pulling a Mashle.

A non-mage honestly does have a reasonable chance on this first test, although it would probably help if you know how to hunt, which I don't think Stark has mentioned being good at (although it's a reasonable skill for him to have).

I forget, are the cages magic or is the Stille just not able to go supersonic if it doesn't have room to maneuver?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Who the gently caress are you going to send to arrest Ubel who is not, themselves, a first-class mage?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Apparently it means "precisely" or "exactly"? which sounds about right, yeah.

Meanwhile, "Ubel" is apparently German for "evil", albeit in the sense of "malicious" rather than "Satan", which is still "a little bit on the nose, huh".

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I would say that Frieren is completely out of the league of anybody else who's present, unsurprisingly.

Fern is massively talented, well-trained for her age, and has absorbed a lot of Frieren's general approach to magic, but is still in the same general "tier" as the best of the mages present. (Although that's still several tiers above Kanne and Lawine, who probably just should not be here as they are obviously not the kind of person this exam is designed to select for.)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

TwoPair posted:

Almost certainly, but of course Frieren's already said she's lost multiple times to human mages so, like, you never know.

It's not the size of your MP gauge, it's how you use it :v:

True, but I don't think that really means that she isn't in a league of her own; it just means that time and chance happen to them all, you know?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I wonder if the magic that sees through clothes would tell you if illusion-boy was a ringer or the real thing.

I guess based on what we know, it depends on how thoroughly he's imagining his clones.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

When you get right down to it, Serie's existence probably does do a lot to reduce the amount of magical research humans do themselves. The question is whether she's doing that on purpose.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Also Frieren spent like literally twenty-four straight hours figuring out how to do it when nobody else bothered to try, which I honestly think is way more important.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It does seem kind of relevant that Serie's been sitting in the same chair in the same room for a thousand years and hasn't even changed the curtains.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

GateOfD posted:

Get Stark some mystic eyes of death perception

why would he need them

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I mean, there's no reason why they couldn't, but they've already made it clear that they won't disqualify you for literally murdering other test-takers in order to improve your own chances, so it would be pretty lovely.

(Heck, we already know that you can literally kill a proctor and this apparently causes you to fail the test but doesn't mean you can't come back for the next go-round.)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

GateOfD posted:

What’s wrong with drinking juice in the middle of the night

It'll make you grow hair on the back of your hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

TwoPair posted:

Himmel's dark secret is he could've beaten the Demon King faster than 10 years but he really wanted to 100% every dungeon before fighting the boss.

That's blasphemy; it's clearly because Himmel was determined to complete every sidequest that he turned out to be The One.