Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Excellent adaptation, it did a really good job at enhancing everything about the first few chapters of manga, without losing anything in transition to anime. I guess ED fits the overall mood far more than the OP, if you want to nitpick? Regardless, I really feel like, at least for this part, the anime will be the definitive way to experience the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Heiter had the demanding, but vitally important role of drinking all the alcohol the thankful villagers were giving to the party as a reward for solving their issues, so that other three members could function at full efficiency.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
That's tragedy. :colbert:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Uuh, is this really a discussion to be had in anime thread?

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

GateOfD posted:

Liked how Stark was reacting to the ice cream he was eating.

Probably my favorite joke in the episode was that the ice cream in the flashback was clearly and noticeably bigger than the one he was eating in the present. :v:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yeah, I disliked this arc in the manga, for basically exactly the same reasons as Southern Cassowary. (anime spoilers) With the way the story of Frieren was written up to this point, introducing an intelligent, civilized race where it's objectively correct to kill them on sight and objectively wrong to even attempt to communicate with them feels extremely jarring. The manga will (minor, general manga spoilers) eventually develop them to the point where they are genuinely interesting and introduce some fascinating demon characters, but that's pretty far off and almost certainly won't happen this season.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Frieren is cool and good, and I'm happy it is getting pretty popular.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Stark and Fern infiltrating the mansion was peak "non-magical class observes the versatility of a well-prepared Wizard and wonders why they are even there" :allears:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
The way they translated Fern emotionlessness while fighting into animation made her look significantly more terrifying than in manga, holy poo poo. :staredog:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

ChronoReverse posted:

Hilariously enough, the part about the impalement scene that bothers me is how Fern isn't drooping from the impalement point; apparently she's as physically stiff as her personality.

Wouldn't be surprised if she simply levitated there to make sure she won't get injured further by having the entire weight of her body resting on what is basically a blade made out of blood stuck in her shoulder.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

GateOfD posted:

Hm, I guess it was him tanking it? Cause he seemed to be taking battle wounds normally.

He seems to be pretty unbothered by them and recovers very fast, which make sense if the "battle wounds" are result of attacks just barely breaking through his skin to draw some blood, instead of doing what spikes through arm, or axe to the temple are supposed to do to a normal human body. :v:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Flamme just casually firing an elf-shaped seek and destroy missile at the Demon King across the gap of a thousand years.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Just a reminder that Aura would use your headless undead body as a footstool. :v:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yeah, my guess is that Aura tried her usual poo poo, Himmel intercepted her and disrupted her spell before she fully casted it, Aura realized she is outmatched and decided to get the gently caress away, using her undead army as distraction/meatshields, Frieren began blasting through them in pursuit, but her other party members weren't super into basically desecrating the corpses of human soldiers and champions just to hunt down a fleeing enemy, so Aura managed to get away and Frieren got scolding.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Fern literally just owned a demon at least a century older and superior to her in almost every way, because she casted fast.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
vague manga spoilers: That question is answered pretty thoroughly in later parts of manga.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

I stopped reading the manga a bit later than the anime is now, right after the class exam and reward

Continuation of vague manga spoilers: Yeah, the next major arc after magic exam features demons again and goes into their psyche a fair bit. Less (but still pretty) vague manga spoilers: It's probably my favorite arc in Frieren and basically turned my opinion from "demons are the weakest story element in Frieren" to "demons are cool and good, actually" mostly due the strength of the demon characters that are introduced

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I really liked the little detail of Fern helping to repair the fortification that got destroyed in her battle with Lugner. She is a good girl. :3:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I mean, would you dare to tell her not to? :v:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Dungeon Meshi already proved that taking your cast from a fantasy world and putting them all in modern, fashionable clothes will end up looking incredible. :hmmyes:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Talorat posted:

Mages in this world have limitless power unless it involves not freezing to death in a blizzard or shortcutting minor inconveniences

Frieren just knows that "Keep warm in blizzard" grimoire is hidden in one of those chest that detect as Mimic.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

NowonSA posted:

It was also fun early on to see Eisen say he's too old to go out adventuring when he was casually leaping way up in the air and knocking around a big monster with a tiny stick.

He would be able to hang around with only 2 poisoned arrows sticking out of his back, instead of 3 like in his youth, and that would be unacceptable for him.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Cosplayers sure seem to struggle with it!

Well, they didn't brave numerous mimics to obtain the "tie scarf in a bow" magic, unlike Frieren. :smug:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
One Piece is still relatively good for time passing, as far as shonen go. I am pretty sure that the entirety of MHA spans barely a year. There was huge grand time skip relatively recently that was like... a month or two. :v:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Kraft is actually the only elf in the entire world that cared about gains, that's why he is so tall.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
extremely minor spoilers (nothing about what actually happens): The upcoming arc is very similar to demon arc in that that it's far more actiony and less slice-of-life, so people who enjoy frieren primary for the latter tend to dislike it, but, unlike demon arc, I enjoyed it a whole lot. It introduces a lot of interesting characters that will continue to pop up once in a while afterwards and significantly expands magic, both in terms of mechanics and in terms of culture and history which I always thought was neat.

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 22, 2023

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
So, based on the spoiler, what exactly happens?

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Ubell's VA is pretty much perfect. That's exactly how I imagined she would sound. Also, I think the anime made Kanna and Lawine even more blatant than they were in the manga. Good.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

NowonSA posted:

Fern is really showing how much Frieren has rubbed off on her personality with how she's reacting and talking during the fight at the end of this latest episode, and to some degree how she was behaving throughout the episode. Just kind of calm and sleepy sounding there just like Frieren usually is. I guess some of that could be attributed to her being around strangers instead of the party she's been traveling with for a long time.

Well, Frieren is the closest thing Fern has to a (living) parent, so it's not very surprising.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Considering the Himmel situation, she 100% does not. Also, there would be absolutely no difference in her behavior if she, by some miracle, knew.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Fern is a good girl and good girls are very powerful. :colbert:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

alternatively, mages of this era just decided it was too boring compared to cool spells like TURN EVERY FLOWER PETAL TO METAL AND CUT YOUR ENEMY TO SHREDS WITH THEM! HARDCORE! BADASS!

I mean we literally saw that's it an unironically great offensive spell, because it can easily bypass the "shield" variation of defensive magic that most mages instinctively use. To protect yourself against it, you would have to use the "full sphere" variation of defensive magic and that would drain your mana fast. Or have shadow clones, I guess. :v:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Frieren: obviously all of them will be dead in a few years.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yeah, top-tier warriors like Eisen, Himmel, Kraft and Stark (If he gathered his courage and confidence) could probably handle a first-class mage, but it's not like there is a lot of warriors of that caliber hanging around either.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Fern has deck stacked in her favor, due to being insanely talented in general, having her own unique super fact casting ability and being trained in fighting style optimized to most efficiently defeat members of race that basically consists of nothing but powerful wizards. However I would say that she is still beatable by most other teams, assuming they would get some kind of (big) advantage. Like the most obvious example is Wirbel, who would probably be able to consistently defeat her, because I don't think she has anything to counter his paralyzing gaze and her default approach to combat would make her extremely vulnerable to it. But I can see even Kanne and Lawine having a fair shot at beating her, if they fought near (or even better, above) a big body of water and pulled an unexpected combo attack like what they did against the Stille.

Frieren is, obviously, in a league far above everyone involved, probably including the examiners.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Denken's answer to running out of mana is "Yes.....and?" :allears:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Super Jay Mann posted:

A spell to arbitrarily turbocharge my metabolism so I can eat snacks without getting fat.

ding ding ding, we have a winner.

Obligatory elf reaction: wait, you need a spell for that??? :smug:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

SpartanIvy posted:

I wish for a spell that grants me more spell wishes

Serie seems to be the kind of elf to answer that with "oh sure, I have one of those spells you can wish for right here" and then hit you with a magic equivalent of tactical nuke.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
7. Feet.

Lets not kid ourselves, a few of the scenes look like Tarantino directed them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Super Jay Mann posted:

Copious amounts of angry Fern make for a great episode :getin:

On the other hand, I don't think we ever saw Fern as happy as she was after that dinner in the restaurant. She was literally bouncing around. :3:

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 9, 2024