Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So is this gonna be a thing where four episodes all release at once and then nothing for the next month?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Huh, so I guess Heiter was over 100? I mean let's say he was--bare minimum--20 when he joined the party, 30 when they beat the Demon King, then that's +50 years for the second stargazing trip, and the manga says it's been 20 years since Himmel's death when Frieren meets him with Fern. Spritely for his age!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I've watched all four episodes and I'm not exaggerating when I say this might be the best TV manga adaptation ever made. The little animation details, the music and sound design, the VA work, the gorgeous backgrounds all serve to elevate an already great source material. If the quality maintains throughout, we've got a winner!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Ghosthotel posted:

I just did a fresh re-read and I wanna say it's about 50ish chapters in. The first 4 episodes cover about 12 chapters so depending on how long the season is we could possibly get there but there's also a pretty logical place to end season 1 before that. We'll see!!!

I think it's supposed to be a two cour, airing back to back.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Ccs posted:

I'm not thrilled at how much it still borrows the aesthetics of jrpgs though. I wish fantasy would spread itself a bit further, though I suppose that's baked into this setting on purpose with the defeat of the demon lord thing. But it makes me care less about these characters that they seem like stock tropes (i'm sure there's an argument to be made that they only seem like stock tropes because we don't have much time to get to know them, and that can thematically link to how Frieren traveled with them but didn't bother to get know them that well, etc.)
While I very much agree in that I'm sick of anime pulling from the same old videogame tropes, it's a very loose framework that arguably gets less relevant as the story continues. Like, at least they're not talking about classes and levels and XP. No spoilers, but the manga's take on Demons later on is unique and one of my favourite things in it. The adaptation is also doing a great job of making the world seem more lived-in with all of its background details.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

chiasaur11 posted:

A Place Further than the Universe was in 2018, and that was a real looker. Great show in general, too.

Sonny Boy, also. 2021.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Huh, forgot we got to this arc so early. I actually misremembered and thought it came after the exam arc

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I just figure the Demon King was a remarkable/terrifying figure, able to unite an asocial species beneath his banner.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
:thejoke:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Jerkface posted:

The sword cutting through Aura's sex-tails :stare:

You can't keep calling them that Bill, there are children here

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
No wonder the humans adopted Zoltraak when the alternative was blowing giant chunks out of the landscape.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
It is kinda funny to me that if this were a sci-fi manga, the whole demon thing would kinda be a moot point.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

cant cook creole bream posted:

Why? You could form a society of murderbots with the same set of morals and values due to some weird statistical influxes in their machine learning algorithm. They would probably have eradicated their whole creators society in the backstory first.

I'm pretty sure I've read similar stories. And of course the protagonists of those see the true humanity in those bots and try to convince them to let go of their ways.

I guess it's easier to accept that a demon is just inherently evil and irredeemable than an advanced electrical appliance.

I'm thinking more along the lines of demons=aliens, and there are plenty of sci fi stories where the aliens are unknowable to humans cognition.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Can I just say how good the music in this show is?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

galagazombie posted:

I'll say it. I don't like Ferns dress. It needs a belt or something because she looks like she's just walking around in her pajamas. Like she's showing up at the Burger King still in her nightgown at 2 in the afternoon.

Looks like you got your wish.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

symbolic posted:

i like Doomguy Frieren as much as reflective, atmospheric Frieren. i am extremely powerful

:yeah:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Does this episode mark the first sighting of Frieren's infamous ¦3

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

NowonSA posted:

It was also fun early on to see Eisen say he's too old to go out adventuring when he was casually leaping way up in the air and knocking around a big monster with a tiny stick.

I assume that despite all his protestations he's got some 100-odd years left in him.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The only actual adult in the party because Frieren's a low-key disaster of a person.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

TwoPair posted:

Yeah, while he's of course not nearly as old as Frieren, he's another adult, which is good.

In fact, he's more of an adult than Frieren is, being actually socially well-adjusted.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
A very brief intro to Best Character this episode.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I feel like people are forgetting that, magic and monsters aside, this has still been a pretty stock Medieval setting, where information travels slowly and gets warped as it goes.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 20, 2024

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Why waste time on learning new combat spells when you could be learning one that helps you find lost sewing needles instead? (She doesn't sew.)

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Anyway, now people can stop wondering who that mysterious elf girl is. Fwiw, my brother originally thought it was the demon king too.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Genau's name being what it is is funny to me, because when I lived in Austria it was basically used as a conversational filler word, kind of like we'd use "yeah" or "sure."

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

SlowBloke posted:

Denken...the best.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I'm curious if they will ever tell us how long Serie has been a mage. Or how old she and Frieren are.
From what's been said about her, I assume Serie's from the Godess' era, so definitely older than Frieren.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

cant cook creole bream posted:

It's cute that Serie doesn't even acknowledge the idea that she herself or some other elf might be the one who could kill Frieren at some point.
Unless of course Elves are a subclass of Demons. :tinfoil:

I mean, I don't think the Elves even have the passion necessary to come into that kind of conflict with one another.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

LostRook posted:

Except that magic has numerous uses beyond fighting. Indeed, all the grimoires that Frieren has taken as a reward have been entirely unrelated to fighting. It's more akin to saying the number of engineers drops after a war is over.

That's all folk magic tho. Like sure, there are only 6000 registered Imperial mages, but there are probably countless hedge wizards casting spells that make tea boil faster, they're just don't make the list.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Mar 2, 2024

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Nitrousoxide posted:

The last episode will be on the 22nd of this month.

When Frieren ends, we will all finally understand the pain of loss.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The sound and visual design for magic in the show is just off the charts.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
No maniac would put twothree mimics in a single room.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I just pray Frieren S2 stays with Madhouse and we don't have another OPM situation on our hands.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So, what's everyone's guess about the 3rd exam?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Jerkface posted:

Simple test, put your hand in this chest for 1 minute

Ah, the Nom Jabbar.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I wonder if those old guys even teach Stark anything. Where they ever even warriors?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Xelkelvos posted:

It's also interesting to note that Series said that Freiren wasn't actually all that powerful for someone of her age which makes one wonder how powerful do Elven mages get if they're not specifically speccing to kill demons

Pretty sure if Freiren shot one of her reality warping spells at Kraft he'd just parry it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Freiren just going "CYA" when Serie failed her.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Mar 16, 2024

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Sachant posted:

It's remarkably consistent how often Serie is shown completely talking out of her own rear end in back-to-back shots. She seemingly has no understanding of herself, or ability to admit anything to herself.

It's like that famous saying: "The unexamined life owns completely lol."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Kwyndig posted:

Except that one guy she cut in half, he's totally dead. :v:

There are also bandit parts littering the countryside.