Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Very much looking forward to this as a manga reader. This is a very good manga that was crafted in a very idiosyncratic style and I can't wait to see how it is translated to animation. Its special!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Absolutely gorgeous animation of lavish montages set to melancholic music - exactly as it goddamn should be

Perfect

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Episode 2 spoilers: The montage of Frieren training Fern is great and you literally see Fern growing up!!!! Frieren remarks that she has been training her for 5 years. Fern literally grows up, has longer hair, etc by the end of it. Not subtle but one of the things i really like about this story!

Animation on this show is gorgeous. And I really like the FX & sound they have used for the magic.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Oh lord this episode

Fern walking confidently forward with her dead eye stare hell yea bb the animation on that loving sick.

The thing to keep in mind is that a lot of the fights in Frieren the manga are glossed over/just a few panels/whatever, so the anime going hogwild is soooooooo loving sick. They're really selling it. The things that made things work so well in the manga are all the characterization beats in the fights themselves, which the anime is preserving and building upon. So good!

The fight especially with the Linie the way they integrated her power into the fight choreography was so good. Swapping weapons out and using different ones great!!!

Baller loving ending.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Nov 3, 2023

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
fern has swag, sorry haters

https://i.imgur.com/rNrADLX.mp4

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
https://i.imgur.com/Frt7q7Y.mp4

Stark also has swag... a little...

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

GateOfD posted:

When Aura mentioned Himmel’s name, Frieren didn’t react much, but you can tell she’s pissed.

I liked this reddit riff on that moment:

Aura: "Himmel is already dead"

boss music starts

Aura: "That's weird, wonder why my music was delayed"

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Love the look of the ancient civilization. The earthen huts and stonework buildings. Differentiating the eras very strongly.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
This might ACTUALLY be the best episode of the show so far, which is a high bar to clear especially after the sakuga-fest prior episode. The direction is out standing, it has all the things I love about the manga and adaptation so far (time passaging montage set to melancholic score? Hell yea), and that ending. MWAH chefs kiss.

The sword cutting through Aura's sex-tails :stare:

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Mordja posted:

You can't keep calling them that Bill, there are children here

She picked a problematic amount of pony tails, had to die

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
now i want a comic where frieren tells Aura to "ball out" and it cuts to an And1 montage

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

symbolic posted:

i like Doomguy Frieren as much as reflective, atmospheric Frieren. i am extremely powerful

:same:

Frieren the slayer getting mom'd easily by Fern

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

There Bias Two posted:

I'm sure every one of us understands this, but could you explain it for some poor unfortunate soul who doesn't?

Its Free ren estate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNxPVj0hejg

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Lowkey the funniest episode so far

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Its just a pretty normal trailer :confused: watch the trailer if you're loving frieren and want a taste of the upcoming arc. Don't watch it if you're a weirdo who doesnt want to even know what any future characters look like.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
my favorite magic is vegetable picking magic, very satisfying

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Really loved seeing Kraft in statue form! The weight of history and the connection to Sein and Gorilla Warrior is great

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
New OP kind sucks IMO. Its wayy too much generic anime. YOASOBI's style feels unique and special (even as she is becoming a popular voice of anime openings) and I love the choir part where the only words I can make out is History and Forever (and the way they sing it sounds like they echo ever-ever even though theyre not) at the spot where frieren gets the split screen between the past and present parties which was also artistically a very great shot. The opening bit with the digitized sounding small voice is also very fitting for the series and to me has become a part of getting excited to watch the show.

The animation on the new OP is of course lit, but I really appreciated the interesting contrast the original OP had with the type of show Frieren is. The new OP I don't think really matches the tone of the show anymore than Yuusha did. They should have gone full acoustic if they were gonna change it :colbert:

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jan 8, 2024

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Tabletops posted:

i am extremely done with yoasobi at this point because they all sound the same, so i inherently like the new op more

I don't think Yuusha and Idol sound very similar beyond having the same main singer, but I guess the one Beastars and Gundam OP might sound similar-ish. She does use a lot of like stinging high piano I guess.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Hiro Protagonist posted:

While I get that it would ruin the plot of multiple episodes, people not putting two and two together when an elf, a being rare enough Freiren thought she may be the last, comes up and says "hi, I'm Freiren," feels like a bit of a contrivance. I feel like everyone should immediately know who she is, especially with statues of her everywhere.

I think most of the statues are of Himmel, and as we know from Kraft's and Flamme's statue things like names/gender get lost / etc. She was known at a bunch of stops in the first cour, but I like the idea of her just fading into obscurity because she doesn't seek fame.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

all the efficiency concern feels kinda odd--you can technically exhaust your mana per the rules of the worldbuilding, but have we actually seen it happen? it seems pretty rare in practice. i guess babby fern not having enough to destroy the rock early on counts, but she was young and inexperienced

frieren was concerned about running out when their wagon got seized up into the air, but was then like "eh whatever" and they all landed fine anyway

Fern has said stuff like she can only manage 30 minutes of flight (thats why theyre walking everywhere) and I'm sure it expends some energy / makes you tired. Thats why frieren loves naps.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah well the demons in the North are apparently more numerous but not as strong supposedly. But yeah if anything Fern has already demonstrated enough skill to get into first class and Frieren is definitely worthy. I wonder what arbitrary hoops they'll have to jump through to get their certification.

Walk across a treasure room without getting eaten by a mimic / walk by the cafeteria and not grab a handful of donuts

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
imagining stark grabbing a stille by its tiny legs and being carried at super sonic speeds through the air lol

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
I feel like the 1st exam being lethal is also to help cull the herd of the types of people who'd apply for it. Like you gotta be really good to be a first class mage, but also the prize and power is so great that you don't mind if some of those people die during the test. Either they're good enough to be a first class mage and thus an asset to humanity, or they're a greedy, power hungry liability.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

tbp posted:

btw are we supposed to understand that frieren and fern are like, a solid level above the other mages they've been interacting with. that's the vibe i get but idk if i'm jumping to conclusions

I think the recent episodes have made it clear they're both sandbagging

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

She minmaxed her build for demon killing, against human mages, especially in the new age, who knows?

Frieren does have one of my favorite scifi/fantasy tropes which is that humans operate on such a short time scale compared to a lot of things that we just rapidly evolve and also we're extremely good at thinking of ways of surviving/killing. So human mages might do something really unexpected to win, where as Demons are just like "im rly strong let me mindlessly blast you with this strong technique"

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Yawgmoft posted:

Judging by the effect and the way characters were talking about the barrier and how no matter the brute force you use it won't break, Frieren probably dispelled it/deconstructed the magic used to make it, and literally no one has ever thought to do that before

I think because the episode talked a lot about how a mage has to imagine being able to do something to do it, I think Frieren just spent 2 days thinking 'I wanna smash that so bad' until she convinced herself she could and then she cast basic offensive magic at it

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
she should carry a cup of water around

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
The bartender being the kind of stereotypical anime bartender complete with the voice was a fun gag too.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
The end reveal is so good even though you should expect it but the switch up of Denken's party encountering a clone of someone not in their own party is really great and dark frieren floating ominously in the air just sells the loving menace!!

The mage fighting in this looks so loving good too. I really love tall brown hair lady just turbo blasting lasers.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
frieren batfleck
🤝

acting with absolute certainty when there's a 1 percent chance

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/ryosuketarou/status/1761022921328529473

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Kwyndig posted:

I wonder what clever plan Fern has to do it.

Walk calmly forward, dead-eyed, while shooting approximately 1000 lasers

edit: she's going to visualize clone frieren sleeping in to avoid chores and go super saiyan

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Sachant posted:

This show makes really good use of first-person sequences.

The direction of the entire series has been outstanding. I never really cared about "who" made anime (besides the cowboy bebop guy) when i was younger but now I really think I gotta follow some of my favs around? Like I definitely want to see what the director and the lead animators of Frieren do next. If its in a genre I care about even more!!

Like we're winding down and I can safely say this is one of my favorite animes of all time. Its an all timer!! thats crazy!! Its frieren and they made it into an all timer anime lol the manga is good, great even, but I don't know about all timer status and yet here we are!!

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Oh I mean hell that explains it, I loved Bocchi!

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Ubel owns

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
If that guy didn't wanna get killed he probably should have worn a stronger coat

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

MonsterEnvy posted:

To be exact Ubel evil translates to “bad, ill, nauseous, sick, foul”

böse is the evil that translates to “angry, bad, wicked, nasty, mad, sinister”

This feels right because Ubel is sick af

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

Don't worry about the bodies in the forest that Kraft found though.

The bodies of CRIMINAL OUTLAW BANDITS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Simple test, put your hand in this chest for 1 minute