Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

The manga's fine, the LN is good for getting into Maomao's thoughts, although I find other character povs kind of uninteresting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Everything has tradeoffs.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

The way Maomao doesn't try to lean on the Emperor's authority with the other servants in this arc before Jinshi steps in has always struck me as odd. Like, bordering on malicious incompetence odd. She doesn't want to have the job, obviously, but surely she can't think the Emperor would just let it go.

e: Gonna echo everyone who said this ep was a step up for the direction.

GateOfD posted:

while the emperor did cosign to it, i think giving her permission to namedrop his name can be another matter entirely.

i quite like the animation of the formal etiquette she has to change her manner at the table while poison tasting in front of the emperor

She probably doesn't, strictly speaking, need his permission to namedrop the emperor but it's the whole silly thing with polite mannerisms and such. That's why she keeps trying different dishes to see if they may accept it first. She's the intruder and not a guest. Of course, the attendants are also at fault here but Maomao has no authority over them. Being seen as relying on someone else's authority, especially the emperor's, is the sort of thing that gets passed around as rumor and has the risk of exploding out of control. Someone with a better personality and habits would've asked for help from Jinshi already but Maomao is, well, Maomao.

Obviously it's a bit of a gamble of who gets blamed if Lihua dies but she's already kind of resigned to this potential outcome. And as the newcomer to the whole harem/Lihua's palace, she has the excuse of being afraid of overstepping her bounds. The attendants and Jinshi, do not have that excuse. In fact, fault would probably lie with Jinshi for not making sure the emperor's will (have the apothecary help Lihua) is carried out correctly. He's in charge of things and would know the sort of haughty air of Lihua's girls. It's his job to smooth over personality conflicts and such, especially since Maomao is already seen as one of Gyokuyou's people. Of course, if he's too heavy handed he may be seen as favouring Lihua though he has the excuse of the emperor's orders, and he goes as far as to maintain a friendly air by not admonishing Lihua's girls.

In short, poo poo's complicated and dumb.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Clarste posted:

The moral of the story is that people who try to trick other people into eating foods they don't like is courting death.

ftfy

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

"I can guarantee you a comfortable life" is not the worst offer. Maomao's the sort to demand to see a full account of all their assets first though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Also memories are incredibly unreliable