Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
There's one holdover episode from last production cycle, plus 17 scripts being completed. I'm going to assume the last 4 episodes will be turned into make goods in s15 and s16.

Sorry for the :effort: op, my trackpad decided to break at the wrong moment.

1: Fight at the Not Okay Chore-al
When Linda and Bob suggest the kids do chores, the family end up in a showdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I laugh at the show, I chuckled at the thread title. I will be watching both!

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Marshmallow finally gets a line, a new actress, and a little hat! Good for her.

And Zeke was totally owning the General Burnside look.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
The last episode of last season (Amelia) and this one didn't have opening credits. Any idea is if that is a permanent change? I thought maybe the last season was because it was a finale and a tight episode that they wanted the extra 30 seconds. I also thought maybe the writers strike is why for this episode. I hope they don't go away permanently, but it might be a strain to come up with a new shop name and pest control company name that also include puns for every episode.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
I've never been a big fan of these "the Belcher family tells stories" episodes, and this one didn't change that opinion, unfortunately. There were a handful of funny bits (the swole horse, the rear end flaps, maybe a couple more), but otherwise I thought it was a snooze. Ah well, good to get your (hopefully) weakest episode of the season out early.

Cool that Marshmallow has a new voice actress though!

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Majorian posted:

I've never been a big fan of these "the Belcher family tells stories" episodes, and this one didn't change that opinion, unfortunately. There were a handful of funny bits (the swole horse, the rear end flaps, maybe a couple more), but otherwise I thought it was a snooze. Ah well, good to get your (hopefully) weakest episode of the season out early.

Cool that Marshmallow has a new voice actress though!

100% agree. This was weak.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

If I had to guess, I like about half of the story episodes.

This was not one of them.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
That pony design was amazing.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I turned this one off as soon as they started telling the first story. I really don't like these, they're always my least favorite episodes.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

There was only one story, they all kept adding their own bits to the same cowboy story.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
And it blew

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
The episode wasn't top tier but it wasn't that bad. There have been worse ones

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

LividLiquid posted:

If I had to guess, I like about half of the story episodes.

This was not one of them.

Yeah, I liked the UK rom-com one (it has Peter Serafinowicz and Lucy Davis in it after all) and probably a couple more. The rest just don't hold my attention or make me laugh more than once or twice. The wiki refers to them as "Anthology Episodes," which sounds appropriate. The fact that they seem to do one a season makes me think that the writers purposefully use these as opportunities to include bits and stories that wouldn't really fit in any other episode. If that's the case, I guess it makes sense. I just don't really like 'em all that much.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
2: The Amazing Rudy
Rudy attends an important dinner; the Belchers make an important casserole.

Get your inhalers ready, people!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Resdfru posted:

The episode wasn't top tier but it wasn't that bad. There have been worse ones

It was fine but they probably should have gone with a stronger one for the season opener.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The anthology episodes used to own but I haven't watched the show regularly in years

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
That episode ruled. Rudy spinoff when? :cry:

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
I appreciate that they're changing it up with these emotional episodes but this one didn't hit like the poem one.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Aww, it was sweet.

I love that they're doing more and more emotional and experimental episodes now. I was saying for a while how that was what the show needed to start feeling fresh again. Prior to a few seasons ago, the emotional moments always felt a bit stunted and were often undercut.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

That was genuinely kind of hauntingly beautiful.

This show has such a great heart.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I can get why they didn't want this as a premiere since the regular characters were barely in it but it was definitely a stronger episode.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I like that it wasn't a huge crisis either, just Rudy struggling to process his parents being divorced and with other people. It was very understated and believable.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
It was a well-made episode, with heartfelt intent. Yet it's probably not one I will want to go back to in a rewatch because it's not necessarily what I was coming to the show for. It's kind of like the garnish has become a bit more of the main course lately.

It's hard to be critical about this transition towards more Emmy-nomination-level material, because it's not of poor quality, nor is it excessively treacly. It's just that when Bob's Burgers goes into the more emotionally-resonant material, I feel like it ends up being more interesting and artful than it is necessarily entertaining.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Give me a Bob and Linda Burgers win an Alaskan cruise episode where they get stranded in Line Moose and meet the Tobins. Meanwhile Teddy guards the restaurant from, let's say, Felix.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I want one where they have to open the restaurant on Thanksgiving. Bob is passionate about burgers and passionate about turkey, but has never expressed an opinion one way or the other about turkey burgers.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Nameless Pete posted:

I want one where they have to open the restaurant on Thanksgiving. Bob is passionate about burgers and passionate about turkey, but has never expressed an opinion one way or the other about turkey burgers.
SOLD.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

LividLiquid posted:

That was genuinely kind of hauntingly beautiful.

This show has such a great heart.

Yeah, I'm halfway through it and this is heartbreaking but in such a good way. I know it's gonna turn out okay for Rudy but that boy needs a hug.

e: very good ending. Love this show so much.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Oct 11, 2023

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

Watching the Rudy episode right now, and I like the secondary character lens.

E: I stand firm that Louise is the best character on the show.

Modulo16 fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 12, 2023

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/BobsBurgersOTD/status/1714452519248859310?t=1WQk_VjVkRR8ySJ6l7O_4w&s=19

Jimmy Pesto back from jail

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Oh hell yeah bout time

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Awesome! The show is missing something without Jimmy Pesto.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
Hey it's Bob's arch-nemesis, who barely ever appears.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/NorthToWharf/status/1715360614057496588?t=NcRZAQiSapvXOKA-APbgSg&s=19

While I am happy we are getting backstory and in depth looks at characters like Rudy, I wonder if the reason these are all close to each other is the writers strike. Like if they had these scripts around for a while, and just decided to finish them knowing a strike was looming so they could put out close to a full season. I do hope we at least get a lot more of the Belchers than the Rudy episode. Don't get me wrong, I loved that episode but having two in a row where they are only in it for a minute or two seems like a misfire. Would have liked to have them spread out.

swickles fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 20, 2023

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
The Burgers family is the worst part of Bob's Burgers these days.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Nah, they've done 13 seasons of pretty much the same thing. That's not a bad thing, but I'm 100% with them continuing to explore new ideas and approaches like we've seen here and there the last few seasons.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Bob is still cool. Louise and Tina took a down turn. The rest stayed on their level, but that's pretty much rock bottom anyway.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
We know surprisingly little about Mort.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Nameless Pete posted:

We know surprisingly little about Mort.

All we really know is his name, Mort Mortuary.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
I am totally down for more supporting character spotlight episodes. That's something I've been wanting for years now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
If anything it beats the "each kid tells their own monkey cheese story, visualized" thing they do three times each season.